• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FootballGAF 2020/2021 |OT| Attending every single game from our home stands.

T8SC

Good to see him and Carragher speaking up for the fans perspective.

Wearing their hearts on their sleeves. We need more of that.

The protests won't make a scrap of difference to owners who are 3000+ miles away, the only way to make any sort of difference is to not turn up, don't buy merchandise etc. Hit them in their pockets.

DKehoe

The protests won't make a scrap of difference to owners who are 3000+ miles away, the only way to make any sort of difference is to not turn up, don't buy merchandise etc. Hit them in their pockets.
Protests need to have a meaningful impact like delaying games. Like you say you need to hit the Glazers in their pocket to actually bring about any sort of change.

DKehoe

Postponed.
Honestly, the best case scenario might actually be United having to forfeit the game. Fans demonstrating that they are willing to make a significant disruption and sacrifice the short term of today's game (the points and a win over the biggest rivals) in exchange for the long term benefit of getting the Glazers out.

T8SC

Honestly, the best case scenario might actually be United having to forfeit the game. Fans demonstrating that they are willing to make a significant disruption and sacrifice the short term of today's game (the points and a win over the biggest rivals) in exchange for the long term benefit of getting the Glazers out.

That would do more damage than good. Losing a measly 3 points wouldn't cause the Glazers to even look over to check the league table.

Liverpool fans would get the gloat though.

DKehoe

That would do more damage than good. Losing a measly 3 points wouldn't cause the Glazers to even look over to check the league table.

Liverpool fans would get the gloat though.
I think the fans need to do something that demonstrates that they aren't just going to go along with the Glazer ownership. Protesting outside the stadium then going inside to watch the game isn't going to cut it because that's not going to make a difference to the Glazers since it's not going to impact their bottom line. The biggest source of income for the club is TV rights. To the Glazers United are just a TV product they charge money for. And this hits right at their ability to be that.

United/Liverpool is the biggest rivalry in the league. Sacrificing that sort of result is exactly the kind of thing that proves how deep fans concerns go.

T8SC

I think the fans need to do something that demonstrates that they aren't just going to go along with the Glazer ownership. Protesting outside the stadium then going inside to watch the game isn't going to cut it because that's not going to make a difference to the Glazers since it's not going to impact their bottom line. The biggest source of income for the club is TV rights. To the Glazers United are just a TV product they charge money for. And this hits right at their ability to be that.

United/Liverpool is the biggest rivalry in the league. Sacrificing that sort of result is exactly the kind of thing that proves how deep fans concerns go.

It's only a postponed game, the TV rights are already in place and it'll just be rescheduled.

Unless fans are willing to not turn up, not buy season tickets, not buy merchandise etc then nothing will change, as you say, it's a business.

DKehoe

It's only a postponed game, the TV rights are already in place and it'll just be rescheduled.

Unless fans are willing to not turn up, not buy season tickets, not buy merchandise etc then nothing will change, as you say, it's a business.
Sure, but that's why I meant United having to forfeit the game rather than it just being rescheduled. Ticket sales and merchandise are actually only small parts of United's income, especially compared to TV rights money. So threatening United's viability as a TV product, and doing so for the tentpole game of the season, is probably the biggest impact fans can have.

Dark Rider

Protests need to have a meaningful impact like delaying games. Like you say you need to hit the Glazers in their pocket to actually bring about any sort of change.

The only thing that will change the clubs ownership at this point is government intervention so the best move is to put extreme pressure on the MPs everywhere that if they want to get reelected ever again they must move either force clubs sale back to the fans or at the very least give the fans majority vote in any decision the club take. These clubs called the local fans "Legacy fans" while discussing the super league because they are willing to throw every single one them away for that promised broadcasting deals and potential global fans being locked to this one league.

Oh shit, is my boy about to pull a Lebron?

The club is in dire financial state so him taking a pay cut is not a surprise because, I don't think it is to buy any specific players though.

Dark Rider

Jose Mourinho: "I won it all with Inter, but if one day a rival club in Italy wanted me, I wouldn't think twice about accepting it. I'm a professional with these things."

Dark Rider

[Libertad VCF] (Valencia Supporterts Trust) on Twitter to Gary Neville "Gary, we can forget the past. We all know that the Glazers and Lim are the same, they attack the spirit football and the fans, help us get rid of him too. #GlazersOut #LimOut"

Dark Rider

[Toni Juanmartí] : Messi will today organize a meal at home with the whole team ahead of the game against Atletico Madrid.

Jon Neu

Banned

I'm sure it'll go fine THIS time.

It's funny because I remember Mou a few years ago claiming he would not coach a team that wasn't at the absolute top level just for the sake of making fun of some other manager, and then turns out he goes to a heavily in crisis Manchester United, then to Tottenham and now to Roma.

What a clown.

What a bunch of absolute simians this paris side. I've seen all kinds of saltyness but this was something else.

Paredes is dirty as fuck.

As a catalan, I'm really glad Pep it's going to the final with City. A lot of spaniards are very angry right now.

Dark Rider

[ABC Deportes] Eden Hazard 'is incredibly motivated' for the game against Chelsea. He believes that it could be a before-after moment in his Real Madrid career and by taking the club to the Champions League final, he would earn the club and the fans' love and respect

We'll see.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

[Javi Miguel Club] Ansu Fati’s inner meniscus in his left knee will be removed, following the new operation. This decision has been taken by the doctors, with the consent of the player.

Sad to hear.

Dark Rider

[Paul Hirst] Manchester United fans planning further Glazer protests: It is understood that planning for more demonstrations is already under way, with United’s next home game against Leicester City on May 12 and the replay of the Liverpool match potential targets.

Good Luck.

DKehoe

[Javi Miguel Club] Ansu Fati’s inner meniscus in his left knee will be removed, following the new operation. This decision has been taken by the doctors, with the consent of the player.

Sad to hear.

Worrying thing to hear about such a young, talented player. Hope he's able to make a full recovery and it doesn't have a big impact on his career going forward.

longdi

Banned
[Paul Hirst] Manchester United fans planning further Glazer protests: It is understood that planning for more demonstrations is already under way, with United’s next home game against Leicester City on May 12 and the replay of the Liverpool match potential targets.

Good Luck.

will that disrupt their roma tie ?

DonJorginho

Banned
CAREEEEE FREEEE, WHEREVER WE MAY BE, WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC, AND WE DON'T GIVE A FUCK, WHEREVER WE MAY BE, CAUSE WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFCCCCC

WHAT A PERFORMANCE! OUTCLASSED REAL MADRID FROM MINUTE 1 TO MINUTE 90, SHOULD'VE BEEN A CRICKET SCORE.

JORGINHO (THE MOTHERFUCKING DON) SHOWING KROOS, MODRIC AND CASEMIRO LEVELS TOO HAHA

Prison Mike Prison Mike I can't wait brother, going to be amazing, let the best team win :messenger_winking:

Prison Mike

Banned
CAREEEEE FREEEE, WHEREVER WE MAY BE, WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC, AND WE DON'T GIVE A FUCK, WHEREVER WE MAY BE, CAUSE WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFCCCCC

WHAT A PERFORMANCE! OUTCLASSED REAL MADRID FROM MINUTE 1 TO MINUTE 90, SHOULD'VE BEEN A CRICKET SCORE.

JORGINHO (THE MOTHERFUCKING DON) SHOWING KROOS, MODRIC AND CASEMIRO LEVELS TOO HAHA

Prison Mike Prison Mike I can't wait brother, going to be amazing, let the best team win :messenger_winking:
Gonna be a close game mate cant wait

Jon Neu

Banned
How the FUCK wasn't he ejected from the game right there?

I don't know how they do it, but it's in Madrid's DNA or something, because I lost count of all the agressions they have made through years and years that have gone unpunished.

I mean, just Cristiano, Pepe and Ramos alone have delivered more punches, kicks and elbows than the entire run of the UFC.

Dark Rider

I didn't expect us to make it this far in the competition being Hospital FC this season with an aging team that had to play every game (especially the midfield) and to top it off the absolute disaster that is our forwards (save for Benz). We can't score so if the opponent score they are winning the tie for sure.

We need to get rid of Bale wadges but that sadly will take one more season.
We need to loan out Vini and Mendy they are not at the level we need yet.
Hazard has been nothing but a waste of transfer fee and wadges and after 3 full seasons we should ship him out now while we might get something out of selling him.
We need to get a potent striker this summer and rebuild many other areas so we are most likely out for a while.

Congrats to Chelsea and Chelsea fans you deserved it :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Worrying thing to hear about such a young, talented player. Hope he's able to make a full recovery and it doesn't have a big impact on his career going forward.

Sadly he will have to retire early after this surgery is done. He still have years to play but he will have to retire early.

will that disrupt their roma tie ?

No because they are playing that one away.

Good Luck.
Sadly I still see no way out without the government force sale back to fans and that is unlikely to happen.
BUT keep up the pressure to make it as hard for them as possible to attempt this again.

I feel like this should have been 6-0 for chelsea

Welcome to The Football Thread :messenger_beaming:
Who do you support? :pie_thinking:

Congrats mate :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Last edited:

Dark Rider

[Simon Stone] OGS: "I have been communicating with the owners. I have had a personal apology. I know they have started communications with other than me. I have a good relationship. They do listen to the fans. They listen to me. I am sure there will be better communication."

Dark Rider

Jaime Carragher: Ruben Dias Has Reached the Level of Van Dijk

Dark Rider

[Simon Stone] Man Utd v Liverpool now Thursday, 13 May (20:15BST). Man Utd v Leicester moved to Tuesday, 11 May (18:00BST). With the Villa game on Sunday as well, Utd now have three games in five days. In addition, Man Utd v Fulham, Tues 18 May (18:00BST).

Top Bottom