• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former FBI Director Mueller appointed special counsel for Trump-Russia investigation

Boke1879

It's still going to take a while before anything comes of this, but this is good. Of course we still have many leaks to look forward to.

Vestal

If McConnel is FOR the appointment of FBI director Mueller than I view his appointment as suspect. Of course, McConnel might just be putting that out for PR. From what I'm reading Rosenstein can be trusted, but with Trump in office, who really knows.

They have no other play.. Muller cannot be fired by anyone but the AG that assigned him which is Rosenstein and there has to be cause for the firing.

Ithil

I swear every time I go away for an hour something huge happens. The last three days have had major stories break in that brief time. In the future I will always step away for an hour to ensure a huge news story breaks in my absence.

theWB27

If McConnel is FOR the appointment of FBI director Mueller than I view his appointment as suspect. Of course, McConnel might just be putting that out for PR. From what I'm reading Rosenstein can be trusted, but with Trump in office, who really knows.

You mean the dude who had no urgency to do anything about this and now needs to save shell?

This stuff is moving fast and trump keeps getting the benefit of the doubt about making moves.

kris.

Banned

that's such a nothingburger statement. he doesn't say whether or not that he approves, just that the investigation will continue.

Alucrid

Banned

his statement might as well read "water is wet, clouds are in the sky, i have single handedly ruined yertle the turtle"

McConnell's statement wasn't in favor of him, though. He just stated a fact that the DOJ decided to appoint a special counsel. And therefore, Congress doesn't need to do anything extra.

Turns out when you elect a reality tv star president, he never stops being a reality tv star. At least Regan had the decency to stop making terrible movies once he was president.

CNN noted that McConnell is pretty much the only official whose statement doesn't directly compliment Mueller and talk about how they trust him. So I wouldn't say he's really for it.

Krakn3Dfx

WH Statement
DAEK86zXYAI1iXX.jpg

A thorough investigation he has worked tirelessly to block at every turn. Sure Don.

Rosenstein won't last the week. It's their only play.

And what a godamn poor play that would be. Not only has this past week kinda set the trump white house on fire, albeit a small one, doing what you said would also salt the earth they stand on. They fire him they nail themselves to the fucking wall with all of the world watching, IC and all. It would all but be an admission of guilt to this sordid affair.

Whilst I have no doubt this idea is rolling around in trump's mind, I willing to believe others at the WH won't recommend this course of action at all.

Boke1879

Since his inauguration it's just been a never ending shit show.

Seriously. He's just not fit for this. It would be one thing if he was competently evil. But he's not even smart.

Monocle

Trump played himself SO BAD firing Comey. It's totally a let's do it and be legends moment.

DAEK86zXYAI1iXX.jpg

The only way it concludes quickly is if you resign or your cabinet pulls the 25th Amendment on you.
I for one feel completely reassured by this personal statement that totally came from the firm and handsome tweetstrong fingers of our lord and president Donald J. Trump, who most assuredly aced an online course in strategic communications as soon as last night!

With that "Putin Pays Trump" tape coming out, everyone needs to realize...

This isn't just about Trump. If Trump goes down cause of Russia there's no telling how many people he can drag down with him. I feel like there's a high chance GOP leadership knew about all this and was either complicit or said nothing.

Mueller can go after them.

I hope to god Trump winning brings down the entire GOP. Let them burn.

Zips

Excellent. Since it sounds like this guy can be trusted and is highly qualified, this pleases me greatly.

Now to dream of the damage done to the Republicans if it ends up bringing down not only Trump but much of the rest of their senior leadership.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Sessions is recused.

Sessions recused himself on the Russia stuff.

See that's what I thought but then the other day someone pointed out that Sessions only said he "would recuse himself" if a Russian investigation was warranted, so I figured there would have to be something before Rosenstein just...gets to do it

EDIT: Person seems to be misinformed, Sessions does say he "has recused himself", nvm

Bronx-Man

Banned
Prediction about the pro-Trump spin:

They can't just say oh he's a liberal, because he was a Bush appointee. Guarantee we're going to see a lot of "the political establishment is trying to take Trump down because he's too much of an outsider" bullshit in the future.
Alex Jones is already spouting that shit on Twitter

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
CNN noted that McConnell is pretty much the only official whose statement doesn't directly compliment Mueller and talk about how they trust him. So I wouldn't say he's really for it.

Hmm interesting. Thanks for that. Liking the Mueller move alot more now.

Top Bottom