• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former FBI Director Mueller appointed special counsel for Trump-Russia investigation

Via proxy, he absolutely can. It would be the dumbest mistake of his mistake-filled life, but he can do it.

Via proxy yes. But he cannot do it directly. The only guy who has that power is Rosenstein, or a replacement if Trump fires him.

But Trump firing Rosenstein, hiring a new Deputy AG, then that guy firing Mueller would be incredibly stupid even by the most Trump standards.

How can he do it via proxy? Order Rosenstein?

The only way I can see it happening is if he orders Rosenstein, Rosenstein refuses, Trump fires Rosenstein, Trump appoints someone else, and THEY fire Mueller.

And I think pretty much anyone realizes that's a no-go, if Trump's advisors have any sway left.

That's precisely what Nixon did. He fired his AG, then acting AG, then he got far enough down the line of succession until someone fired the special prosecutor. And that was a very bad mistake.

CHC

The 'Strike me down and I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine' meme justified.

It's the pace that gets me. Not even a week and we've had leaks of Comey's memos, a special counsel appointed (who seems legit), radio silence from most of the GOP, and a whole slew of other smaller shit like Ryan's embarrassing requests for secrecy,

I just want to throw a shout-out to that retired MI-6 codger who got this whole ball rolling all the way back when. I say we make the day Trump gets impeached officially Chistopher Steele Day.

Nafai1123

Banned
They were just talking about this on CNN things get to cool off and get out of the public eye. At town halls when people bring this up they can say it's in good hands I don't know anything else.

I don't see how it leaves the public eye. The FBI are not the only ones conducting or participating in investigations. Multiple House/Senate investigative committees ongoing, more witness to testify, more documents to subpoena, etc etc.

Just because Mueller may run a tight ship doesn't mean that everyone else will.

TheMan

think about all the bullshit, all the turmoil that's going on in DC right now.

The only winner in all this so far is Russia.

Zolo

Apparently he can order Rosenstein to fire him and then fire Rosenstein is he does not do so, but I mean..... c'mon. There are limits to even Trump's stupidity.

The thing is.....Trump is guilty (and this investigation can lead down other leads and people who can be charged). This investigation could absolutely be worse for him in the long run than firing them. Then, they just hope they retain enough of their base that actually voted for him.

CNN saying Trump can fire Muller.

giphy.gif

RPGCrazied

CNN said Trump could fire Mueller. Is Trump that stupid? Yes, yes he is. Didn't Nixon do something similar with a special prosecutor?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
As Trump watches CNN he says to himself "you know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made-up story"

I just hope all of them have ample protection. I know they are IC but Comey is a private citizen now and they are going up against evil men with lots of money.

digdug2k

As much as I want this to destroy the gop, I have to think someone jus finally convinced trump that he's better to let this investigation play out (and find relatively little, i.e. some tax fraud) come out than be impeached for obstruction.

Top Bottom