• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former FBI Director Mueller appointed special counsel for Trump-Russia investigation

That's the right wing media for you. It ain't just Hannity. Mark Levin has been saying the same stuff for years, first with the media working to cover King Obama's crimes and hypocrisy, and then working to destroy Trump because democrats and liberals are upset their side lost and also they want to destroy America and the Constitution.

How is a garbage "news" station like that the most watched in the US? Is the U.S filled with gullible, dense, impressionable dare I say it.. idiots?

Sorry man I just watched some of it live on youtube and it's really disgusting.

63GjhrN.jpg

Zolo

How is a garbage "news" station like that the most watched in the US? Is the U.S filled woth gullible, dense, impressionable dare I say it.. idiots?

Sorry man I just watched some of it love on youtube and it's really disgusting.

Democratic news stations are more spread out. Democrats tend to lean younger who don't watch as much TV. The average age I believe of watching Fox News is 70.

How is a garbage "news" station like that the most watched in the US? Is the U.S filled woth gullible, dense, impressionable dare I say it.. idiots?

Sorry man I just watched some of it love on youtube and it's really disgusting.

The answer to your question is yes. Americs IS filled with those kind of people.

I think the republicans would have sought hillary's impeachment at every chance they got as well.

Impeachment seems to be becoming less a necessary evil to protect the nation as a political tool when you don't win an election.

Please don't take this to mean trump deserves/doesn't deserve impeachment - and the republicans certainly have a miles longer stretch to impeach a president clinton, but both sides saw it down the road no matter who won on election day.

You're not getting it. If what you are saying is true, why didn't the GOP lead Congress move to impeach Obama? There was never any real talk from elected officials about doing so, because they know they had nothing on him, and the process of actually impeaching and removing a President isn't something that can just be done like that.

I would even say that if Hillary had won, they wouldn't have moved to impeach her. They would probably talk about it, but it would never happen, because all of the investigations surrounding her was smear job bullshit and would never really stick unless she just had a royal fuck up (and even then, getting 2/3 of the Senate to remove her would be almost impossible).

This is not a normal situation. What we are seeing with Trump now is not normal.

Cyanity

Banned
On Maddow one of the guys that wrote the regulations for special prosecutor appointments, operating rules:

Yes, the president CAN fire Mueller. Directly. Himself.

And if he does, then we get a new prosecutor and another evidence of obstruction of justice added to the pile.

Oh well, I didn't know this. Well, the gears are already turning, so I'm not that worried about it

You're absolutely right.

This will be enough to turn republicans in the house and senate. Big time. Trumps approval will tank below even what it is now.

Repubs need to consider how wise it is to hitch their wagons to Trump as they head to 2018. Trump's riled up base isn't going to be enough numbers-wise to stop this now. His soft to moderate support will vanish.

Campaign contributors are complaining. Nothing is getting done. They will push for getting Trump out and having him replaced by "whoever" that can push the agenda forward.

I mean, Hannity's right, there is a "Destroy Trump Alliance".

It's called "people with common decency" and it's more of an informal thing, but that's definitely high on the current agenda, yes.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
god bless the onion

You might laugh now, but when you daughter is riding away on a camel with a brown man to drown her baby......Then you'll know why conservatism is the greatest ideology on Earth! God bless! Semper fi.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
um.... why is Trump CALM? That worries me that after all this shit he is calm. Dude is only calm when shit is going his way.

Well given he spent likely the entirety of the last week shitting bricks and yelling at everything casting a shadow, both at golf on Mother's Day and in the WH on Monday/Tuesday as the walls kept closing in, he probably knew this was coming from Rod(if anything he was probably mostly pissed that any attempts to prevent Rod from approving the special counsel failed in his face). Anger likely deflating into somber defeatism at the news.

Basically, he wasn't surprised, thus no outrage.

KHarvey16

um.... why is Trump CALM? That worries me that after all this shit he is calm. Dude is only calm when shit is going his way.

I think they didn't like the stories yesterday about yelling and disarray. Nothing that has happened has made the situation less dire for them.

Shoeless

What is the point of no return for Republicans thinking about long term survival. If they don't want to go down with the ship, when's the cut off date for them going into "rat mode" in order to try to survive this and start denouncing Trump and his cabinet?

Also, what are the odds his kids will distance themselves from him and claim innocence, or even turn on him and testify against?

I'm not looking a lot into Trump being calm. It is a bit weird based on the stories from yesterday where he apparently was screaming and howling and cursing. I mean, it could be that he knows something most don't and thinks this is going his way, or it could be that he saw the stories about his behavior the last few days and is keeping quiet knowing how bad it makes him, or it could just be that is really, really fucking tired.

Squire

Banned
Not directly by Trump. Trump can order the firing, but the AG has to do it. And since Sessions is recused, it has to be the Deputy AG. Who is the one who appointed Mueller. Now, Trump could fire the Deputy AG until he finds someone to fire Mueller, but that would be his dumbest move yet.

Doing that is one of the biggest things that sunk Nixon.

Basically, Trump already pulled his Nixonian firing and that's mostly how we got here (I say "mostly" because this probably wouldn't have happened if he hadn't pissed off Rosenstein), but that's it. He can't fire Rosenstein in order to then fire Meuller and expect things to be peachy.

What is the point of no return for Republicans thinking about long term survival. If they don't want to go down with the ship, when's the cut off date for them going into "rat mode" in order to try to survive this and start denouncing Trump and his cabinet?

Also, what are the odds his kids will distance themselves from him and claim innocence, or even turn on him and testify against?

When poll numbers in their own districts start tanking. For the reasonably smart (term used loosely, grading on a curve here), at least.

Or they feel good about who the prosecutor is. It's hard to say.

I don't trust anything with the government anymore.

Look up info about the guy. Don't be baited into 'Bush appointee,' actually read about his record and dealing when he was active. I mean, this guy is pretty much legit as it gets, so unless they're holding his family for ransom or something, this is about as impartial as we can hope for.

ICO_SotC

As for "calm", my reading is, it alludes right in there in the tweet that they think this will allow them to pass off reporter's questions about this ("there is an investigation! Wait for the results!") and just focus on talking about Trump's agenda.

Which, hahahahahaha, no.

Basically, Trump already pulled his Nixonian firing and that's mostly how we got here (I say "mostly" because this probably wouldn't have happened if he hadn't pissed off Rosenstein), but that's it. He can't fire Rosenstein in order to then fire Meuller and expect things to be peachy.

As someone pointed out earlier, apparently this changed in the '90s, and Trump can directly fire Mueller (which is ridiculous, but it's whatever), but the gears of this thing is already turning, and in many ways the damage is already being done. Trump can try going to war with the IC (again) by firing Mueller and appointing a stooge to squash the investigation, but we've already seen the torrent of information that's come since the Comey firing, and we know now that Comey keeps detailed memos of all his conversations, etc, and that Comey is willing to go public if the need arises. Really, it's more a matter of time than anything.

Tigress

I'm not looking a lot into Trump being calm. It is a bit weird based on the stories from yesterday where he apparently was screaming and howling and cursing. I mean, it could be that he knows something most don't and thinks this is going his way, or it could be that he saw the stories about his behavior the last few days and is keeping quiet knowing how bad it makes him, or it could just be that is really, really fucking tired.

See I don't buy the explanation that he saw the stories about his behavior and knows how bad it makes him cause trump so far has shown no self awareness of how bad his behavior makes him look. The one time his handlers got him to apologize and try to stay calm and look serious you could almost see the distaste in his face at having to do so (I'm betting he disagreed but they finally got him to just do it).

The tired thing, maybe. But doesn't he usually operate on little sleep?

I also wonder if the calm means he doesn't think this is anything to worry about (whether he is innocent or he doesn't think this will come to anything. Though if he was calm cause he was innocent and he thought this would show it, why did he seem he was fighting being investigated at all? If he thought an honest investigation would exonerate him why not welcome it to shut up the detractors).

Lo-Volt

For those worrying about Trump being calm, nah, he's just a fucking idiot:

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/865033152661782528

Incredible. They just think it's all going to stop? That the press is going to go back to scraps like shitty-ass Trumpcare when the entire government apparatus is eating the administration like a fucking aperitif? No.

Maybe the ones in the room with functioning brains might feel like there's nothing else to do. If Robert Mueller has this much latitude to run a wide-ranging investigation, can subpoena, can hold depositions, and can announce charges, I mean. What're they gonna dodge now?

Squire

Banned
As someone pointed out earlier, apparently this changed in the '90s, and Trump can directly fire Mueller (which is ridiculous, but it's whatever), but the gears of this thing is already turning, and in many ways the damage is already being done. Trump can try going to war with the IC (again) by firing Mueller and appointing a stooge to squash the investigation, but we've already seen the torrent of information that's come since the Comey firing, and we know now that Comey keeps detailed memos of all his conversations, etc, and that Comey is willing to go public if the need arises. Really, it's more a matter of time than anything.

Right. I mean, the point stands whether Trump needs the DOJ or not. Firing Comey was his Nixon move. He played that card and it wasn't ignored. He can't do it again and expect a better result.

What's this about him being calm though?

See I don't buy the explanation that he saw the stories about his behavior and knows how bad it makes him cause trump so far has shown no self awareness of how bad his behavior makes him look. The one time his handlers got him to apologize and try to stay calm and look serious you could almost see the distaste in his face at having to do so (I'm betting he disagreed but they finally got him to just do it).

The tired thing, maybe. But doesn't he usually operate on little sleep?

I also wonder if the calm means he doesn't think this is anything to worry about (whether he is innocent or he doesn't think this will come to anything. Though if he was calm cause he was innocent and he thought this would show it, why did he seem he was fighting being investigated at all? If he thought an honest investigation would exonerate him why not welcome it to shut up the detractors).

When I said tired, I didn't mean in the sense of being sleepy, I meant more of just being worn out after days upon days of bombshell announcements.

I was mostly just brainstorming more than anything.

I fucking love how quick the talking point got switched for Republicans. They are full on board the investigation, lets get to the bottom of it and move on.

Prior to this it was basically fake news.

Scum.

Right. I mean, the point stands whether Trump needs the DOJ or not. Firing Comey was his Nixon move. He played that card and it wasn't ignored. He can't do it again and expect a better result.

What's this about him being calm though?

An insider apparently posted that when Trump got the news of the special prosecutor, he was actually calm and quiet, and some people think that's a bad sign possibly. But it seems there's other reports contradicting that, saying the WH is in the same chaos it has been in since Monday with much freakouts.

Top Bottom