• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former FBI Director Mueller appointed special counsel for Trump-Russia investigation

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Even if Mueller could be removed by Trump, he wouldn't do something THAT self-destructive.

(Would he?)

"Look, I went along with this because obviously I'm innocent. But then I realized it's also a waste of time. So I got rid of him. I got rid of Miller or whatever his name is. Really good guy who I respect. But let's be honest. He was doing a lousy job so far, frankly, to tell you the truth. So I'm like 'Look, I won 309 electoral votes. They said it couldn't be done. But I did it. First time in history too. What more proof do you need?'. So I tell my chief of security, Jimmy, to tell him he's out. So I'm hoping we can move beyond this obviously partisan witch hunt that the crooked democrats keep continuing cause they're sore about losing the election, which, if I may say, I did quite tremendous in."

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
So what does this actually mean?

I guess to say it, a week of this is happening, I'm getting lost at what is actually happening.

Sephzilla

Trump can fire Mueller but he basically needs proof of wrong doing to do so. In other words Trump can't make bullshit up like he did with Comey. I'm sure Trump will try, but it will fail and blow up in his face.

Shoeless

Trump can fire Mueller but he basically needs proof of wrong doing to do so. In other words Trump can't make bullshit up like he did with Comey.

Can't he and the Republicans simply manufacture something to get him out of the way? Or get a sudden Hail Mary from Russia that provides "proof" of criminal acts in Mueller's past that gives them the excuse they need to shut him down?

I'm assuming at this point that no matter how bad it looks, if Trump can shut down Mueller, he'll do it. He didn't care about consequences when he removed Comey, he just wanted to get rid of a threat. The same will hold here.

Or you might want to read up on how the rules have changed since then, and more importantly the interview on Maddow's show tonight with one of the architects of the new rules.

Trump can fire him.

Well what are these new rules? The Maddow interview isn't online yet and pretty much every other source I've seen says that Trump can only indirectly fire Mueller.

Are you really this dense? Libcucks? Wow. Maybe just people with an actual brain and moral compass?

The Seth Rich story is just another bullshit conspiracy like damn Pizzagate,made up by idiots to keep your eyes off the Russian puppet they've installed in the WH.

Can someone really be this stupid to believe the shit he just typed up? Like wow dude.

Bullshit.

I've literally cum like 7 times from all of the news today, but your ragey impotence just made it #8.

Was it good for you too?

Keep drinking the coolade, friend

You guys sat on your guns for eight years while a black man served two terms. You're impotent and you will do nothing.

You're really dense. Goddamn shame because you'll likely do some harm someday when you can easily stop and become a little more educated.

Holy shit we got a live one. Brainwashed to the core.

Those words and names may have meaning in whatever ponds you usually swim in, but you'll have to go into more detail for us poor uneducated 'libcucks'.

Like the millions that showed up for his swearing in.

it doesnt pay to be a troll in these times. Shit is serious and this stupid lawls bullshit isnt helping anything.

picard.png

I think it is a good time to be enjoying humor, it's a victory for democracy afterall. Plus you guys fuckin love it.

Balphon

Mueller can't be removed by Trump but he can be removed by the Deputy AG, who can be removed and replaced by Trump at any time

Rosenstein can be removed (i.e. for declining an order to fire Mueller), but he can't be immediately replaced. DAG is Senate-confirmable.

The decision would just start to flow down the DOJ's line of succession. Next would be the Associate Attorney General, should she be confirmed any time soon.

wandering

Banned
This is from the current special counsel regulations as laid out by the DOJ:

The Special Counsel may be disciplined or removed from office only by the personal action of the Attorney General. The Attorney General may remove a Special Counsel for misconduct, dereliction of duty, incapacity, conflict of interest, or for other good cause, including violation of Departmental policies. The Attorney General shall inform the Special Counsel in writing of the specific reason for his or her removal.

However, since this is an internal regulation and not a federal statute, it's unclear exactly how binding it is in practice.

Enlighten me

In the 90's the rules for special counsel/prosecutors changed. The rules and history of the 'Saturday Night Massacre' do not apply.

Maddow interviewed one of the co-authors of these rules. He told Maddow directly, point blank, that YES the president can fire Mueller. He didn't put any kind of qualifier on it. He was very straightforward about it.

Sephzilla

Can't he and the Republicans simply manufacture something to get him out of the way? Or get a sudden Hail Mary from Russia that provides "proof" of criminal acts in Mueller's past that gives them the excuse they need to shut him down?

I'm assuming at this point that no matter how bad it looks, if Trump can shut down Mueller, he'll do it. He didn't care about consequences when he removed Comey, he just wanted to get rid of a threat. The same will hold here.
At this point I think Trump is going full Anakin Skywalker and saying "you underestimate my power" unaware that Obi-Wan KenobIC is about to completely bitchslap him

Well what are these new rules? The Maddow interview isn't online yet and pretty much every other source I've seen says that Trump can only indirectly fire Mueller.

People are streaming her show on YT. It will start again at the top of the hour. The interview came in the latter part of the show.

In the 90's the rules for special counsel/prosecutors changed. The rules and history of the 'Saturday Night Massacre' do not apply.

Maddow interviewed one of the co-authors of these rules. He told Maddow directly, point blank, that YES the president can fire Mueller. He didn't put any kind of qualifier on it. He was very straightforward about it.

Ah, gotcha

People are streaming her show on YT. It will start again at the top of the hour. The interview came in the latter part of the show.

Here's what the actual text of the current (post 1999) law says:

The Special Counsel may be disciplined or removed from office only by the personal action of the Attorney General. The Attorney General may remove a Special Counsel for misconduct, dereliction of duty, incapacity, conflict of interest, or for other good cause, including violation of Departmental policies. The Attorney General shall inform the Special Counsel in writing of the specific reason for his or her removal.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/28/600.7

Seems pretty cut and dry, but I'm no lawyer. I'll watch the Maddow interview.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Has the right questioned Meuller's credentials yet?

The Kremlin has started up a propaganda smear campaign via Wikileaks to discredit him. That's about all I've seen so far. Mueller has universal bipartisan respect heading into today's appointment and a lifetime record of putting ethics and the pursuit of justice above any personal or political agenda, to a staggeringly impressive degree really, so attempting to attack his credentials would only serve to draw suspicion toward the finger being pointed.

sangreal

MADDOW INTERVIEW HERE WHERE 'CAN PRES FIRE MUELLER' IS ADDRESSED.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show

First interview down with guest Neal Katyal.

It's about five minutes, he says it right at the end. Rachel seems stunned.

I don't know what someone said on Maddow but the code of Federal regulations is crystal clear on it

The Special Counsel may be disciplined or removed from office only by the personal action of the Attorney General. The Attorney General may remove a Special Counsel for misconduct, dereliction of duty, incapacity, conflict of interest, or for other good cause, including violation of Departmental policies. The Attorney General shall inform the Special Counsel in writing of the specific reason for his or her removal

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrie...p;h=L&mc=true&r=PART&n=pt28.2.600

Rosensteins order even says this clause is applicable

The Kremlin has started up a propaganda smear campaign via Wikileaks to discredit him. That's about all I've seen so far. Mueller has universal bipartisan respect heading into today's appointment and a lifetime record of putting ethics and the pursuit of justice above any personal or political agenda, to a staggeringly impressive degree really, so attempting to attack his credentials would only serve to draw suspicion toward the finger being pointed.
So Mueller really is legit then! Also WikiLeaks is smearing him? Wasn't WikiLeaks in trouble with Trump or is that another organization?

I don't know what someone said on Maddow but the code of Federal regulations is crystal clear on it

The Special Counsel may be disciplined or removed from office only by the personal action of the Attorney General. The Attorney General may remove a Special Counsel for misconduct, dereliction of duty, incapacity, conflict of interest, or for other good cause, including violation of Departmental policies. The Attorney General shall inform the Special Counsel in writing of the specific reason for his or her removal

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrie...p;h=L&mc=true&r=PART&n=pt28.2.600

But what if the AG is under a recusal from the current investigation. Man, John Adams and the boys sure did not think this one through.

Top Bottom