• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former FBI Director Mueller appointed special counsel for Trump-Russia investigation

rec0ded1

The bald eagle tried to warn us when it met Trump.

Obligatory
q1HdtcW.gif

Miletius

I actually think now that a special counsel has been convened we might see some of the leaks die down a bit, especially anything related to Comey. Mueller is historically a no nonsense guy and will likely have a very tight ship for a team in the investigation. Its probably the 'one' silver lining for Trump and his organization that in order to maintain the integrity of the investigation and to give all the tools they need we probably won't hear soon how much people know and when they know to catch people in lies etc. That doesn't mean stuff on capital hill will stop or stuff changing inside the cabinet. As they say rats fleeing a sinking ship, if they feel working for Trump will sink them as well they will jettison very, very fast. At this point we need to be watching what people do rather then what they say. The investigation is no longer exclusively in their control as such they might do things that tell more about how they feel things will go well before any arrests or others actions become known.

This is the small unfortunate silver lining for Republicans while the investigation ramps up. They will have a limited window of cover in which to enact as much of their agenda as possible, provided further distractions do not ruin what little political capital they have left. The same applies for Trump, but my belief is that the WH is in such disarray that they won't be any will from Trump to concentration on his "agenda" while his popularity is circling the drain.

I'm all for this, but Democrats are going to have to push hard on the "Nothing gets done on Capitol Hill until we know the Russians aren't in charge" angle for the next couple of months.

chekhonte

Well the fun's over. Mueller runs a very tight ship. There will be no leaks coming from his group. We'll hear some stuff from trumps aides when information is requested but everything else will be behind closed doors.

Zolo

Well the fun's over. Mueller runs a very tight ship. There will be no leaks coming from his group. We'll hear some stuff from trumps aides when information is requested but everything else will be behind closed doors.

For the best. Leaks from Mueller's group would be at least one excuse Trump could use to fire him.

I thought Rosenstein was a Trump lackey.
When he grow a spine?
He's apparently been working on a special counsel with Mueller heading it since Comey was fired.

Trouble

Banned

All the leaks from the IC were to get us to this point. With Mueller at the helm I think there will be enough confidence that justice will be served to stop those leaks. The White House staff, though, will continue to leak like a sieve because the people who work there are miserable and hate their boss. WH staff won't have info on the investigation to leak, just the continuing chaos in the admin.

Best part about all this it throws a wrench into all his policy decisions to date so now every dumbass who followed dear leaders orders is gonna think twice about it and probably just sit it all out and wait for the dust to settle. From overzealous ICE agents to TSA agents their unions have probably already signaled to them to chill the fuck out and lay low because Boss Hog is probably on the way out and lawsuits are a coming hard and fast.

AzureSky

If he didn't want to win, he would have dropped out when he won the primaries, gone on to ghostwrite books and go on the talking circuits and conservative radio about how he could have done it and endlessly tease another run.

He wanted to win. He just didn't want the job.

He is mentally not able to admit defeat. He utterly misjudged what it means to be a head of the state and just rolled with it when it looked like he was winning. His focus on rigged elections while campaigning and scrambling for people to fill most important gov. positions after he won is a clear sign of that. There was no plan what to do after winning.

I believe the plan was to promote the "Trump" brand and blame the system when he lost.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Maybe not from his group, but any semblance of solidarity in D.C. will continue to crumble under the inevitability of the investigation's discoveries. Anyone potentially inbounds for this will revert to looking out for themselves and diverting blame and attention onto anyone else they happen to have dirt on to try to salvage their own political prospects or otherwise appear even slightly less guilty, rather than hold hands as honor-bound co-conspirators on the same sinking ship. Honor and loyalty and patriotism weren't the political attributes that brought us to this point. It's gonna get ugly.

Is Comey still testifying publicly? Or did Mueller's involvement change that?

He's smart he's not gonna deal with republican bullshit questions on live tv, with Muller in the picture he has to answer to him first. The GOP plan to make this about Comey's character on live TV hearings just crashed landed.

Jenov

Was watching Rachel Maddow interview the NYT reporter that had the scoop on the Comey memos. They mentioned they were confused as to why FBI Deputy Director McCabe at his hearing said that the WH did not try to influence any investigations. This is in direct contrast to what Comey's memos are saying. That's an interesting point. Was McCabe out of the loop on the memos or was he lying? :/

Keep in mind, there was also a report from back in January/February that McCabe had told Reince Priebus that the initial reports about Russian collusion were "B.S" -- what's McCabe's game here?

Was watching Rachel Maddow interview the NYT reporter that had the scoop on the Comey memos. They mentioned they were confused as to why FBI Deputy Director McCabe at his hearing said that the WH did not try to influence any investigations. This is in direct contrast to what Comey's memos are saying. That's an interesting point. Was McCabe out of the loop on the memos or was he lying? :/
Probably the former, though he might have been hesitant to disclose anything like that too soon.

the_donald is something else right now. Like a wasp nest in full anger mode blitzing out the "I am _so and so_ and I got shot/murdered/burned because of hillary" headlines. It is so juvenile.

Maybe not from his group, but any semblance of solidarity in D.C. will continue to crumble under the inevitability of the investigation's discoveries. Anyone potentially inbounds for this will revert to looking out for themselves and diverting blame and attention onto anyone else they happen to have dirt on to try to salvage their own political prospects or otherwise appear even slightly less guilty, rather than hold hands as honor-bound co-conspirators on the same sinking ship. Honor and loyalty and patriotism weren't the political attributes that brought us to this point. It's gonna get ugly.

If I was writing this script, Ivanka turning on Trump to protect her husband and brand would be an irresistible dramatic turn.

If I was writing this script, Ivanka turning on Trump to protect her husband and brand would be an irresistible dramatic turn.

You should read studio notes on trump @djtstudionotes
Hilarious notes from the studio on events in the story as it unfolds.

"p. 2,3,5,8,9,11,15 (3x),19,20,21,21,26-58,61,62,70,74-83,88 (8x),90, & below: Not sure we need so many references to Electoral College win."

"p17 Conflict works best when both sides evenly balanced. Can Cruz be clever, instead of comically inept unprepared buffoon?"

Etc

Mueller is the absolute real deal. Read up on how the Bush admin tried to get Ashcroft, then in a hospital bed, to sign off on illegal wiretappings. Comey stood the line, and Mueller(then FBI director) was there with him soon after.

They prepared mass resignations if the whole idea wasn't scrapped.

This is the REAL SHIT here, folks. This is "Grizzled vet(in FBI and military both) gives up his lucrative private job to serve his country one more time."

This man is a fucking hero with an unimpeachable record.

Trump is going down. I hope he lands in an unmarked grave far from anyone important.

Grizzled is so good.

OléGunner;237218973 said:
Heh, well I still didn't think any Trump lackey would grow some stones and tackle this whole situation the right way, even after being undermined.

They tend to just shut up and take it.

Nice to know I was wrong on this one.
Rosenstein is a Democrat. His wife is (was?) a politician in Maryland.

One last hoorah for the Trump admin during the foreign trip.

Then I think he's had enough of this and may very well resign.

He just accepted the news of special prosecutor, didn't get mad. He's a defeated man that I think on the flight back to the White House is just gonna break and peace out.

One last hoorah for the Trump admin during the foreign trip.

Then I think he's had enough of this and may very well resign.

He just accepted the news of special prosecutor, didn't get mad. He's a defeated man that I think on the flight back to the White House is just gonna break and peace out.
You think there's going to be a flight back? /s

Dambrosi

Banned
So this Meuller guy is basically lawyer John Rambo? From which movie?

Oh, also, I'm not in the USA so I can't watch the Daily Show clip, can y'all hook a British brother up? I need all the schadenfreude I can get over here.

Top Bottom