• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former FBI Director Mueller appointed special counsel for Trump-Russia investigation

Sulik2

Go fuck yourself Graham, I hope this shit swallows you up too.

This is actually good. He means he is going to stop the circus show congressional briefings we have been seeing which accomplish nothing, they can't comment on an ongoing investigation and the FBI isn't going to talk about it publicly anymore. Which is good again, Mueller is going to quiet the media and publicity and just focus the FBI on completing the investigation.

The most hardcore of them may not, but I'd argue that 75-85 percent of the people who voted Trump will gladly accept Mike Pence, the "traditional family values" President that Trump could never hope to be.

I really don't think I'm wrong, but hopefully we'll never know as the ship pulls Pence under as well.

If Pence lost 75-85% of Trump's base, he wouldn't stand a chance at winning in 2020.

rjinaz

ZEmB3i8.png

President Snowflake is so pissed - he made the same tweet twice!

But I thought some Republican were saying this was all Trump's idea?

and nothing was lost.

CDX

What do you guys think about Nancy Pelosi's statement yesterday? I didn't read it until just now.

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/3...-commission-after-special-counsel-appointment

Pelosi and other Democrats praised the move as a sign the investigation would be led by an independent actor.

But Pelosi said in a statement that a bipartisan commission would offer more assurance to the public of a truly independent investigation free from influence from the Trump administration.

While calling Mueller a “respected public servant of the highest integrity,” Pelosi said that “a special prosecutor is the first step, but it cannot be the last.”

“Director Mueller will still be in the chain of command under the Trump-appointed leadership of the Justice Department,” Pelosi said. “He cannot take the place of a truly independent, outside commission that is completely free from the Trump Administration’s meddling.”

Earlier Wednesday, House Democrats initiated a procedure to try to force a vote on legislation that would create an independent, bipartisan commission to investigate Russia’s role in the presidential election.

The procedure, known as a discharge petition, would require 218 signatures and couldn’t come up for a vote until late July at the earliest under House rules.

At least 24 Republicans would have to cross party lines and endorse the discharge petition with all Democrats in order to move it forward.​

http://www.democraticleader.gov/newsroom/51717-4/

Washington, D.C. – Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi released the following statement after former FBI Director Robert Mueller III was appointed as special prosecutor:

“We are pleased the Justice Department has answered Congressional Democrats’ calls for a special prosecutor to conduct an independent investigation into the Trump-Russia connection.

“Former Director Mueller is a respected public servant of the highest integrity. The Trump Administration must make clear that Director Mueller will have the resources and independence he needs to execute this critical investigation.

“A special prosecutor is the first step, but it cannot be the last. Director Mueller will still be in the chain of command under the Trump-appointed leadership of the Justice Department. He cannot take the place of a truly independent, outside commission that is completely free from the Trump Administration’s meddling. A special prosecutor does not negate the need for vigorous Congressional investigations either.

“The question also remains: will Mueller’s investigation include President Trump’s attempt to intervene in the investigation of Michael Flynn? The American people have a right to the truth, free from the Trump Justice Department’s efforts to silence it.”

This is actually good. He means he is going to stop the circus show congressional briefings we have been seeing which accomplish nothing, they can't comment on an ongoing investigation and the FBI isn't going to talk about it publicly anymore. Which is good again, Mueller is going to quiet the media and publicity and just focus the FBI on completing the investigation.

I know it's good that these circus hearings are ending but if Graham actually had any spine, he would have kept things actually focused on Russia. Even in his questioning he mentioned Russia like 50% of the time?

The most hardcore of them may not, but I'd argue that 75-85 percent of the people who voted Trump will gladly accept Mike Pence, the "traditional family values" President that Trump could never hope to be.

I really don't think I'm wrong, but hopefully we'll never know as the ship pulls Pence under as well.

Mike Pence is just like another version of Ted Cruz.

Sephzilla

What do you guys think about Nancy Pelosi's statement yesterday? I didn't read it until just now.

I feel like Pelosi's kind of doesn't realize that Mueller is basically what she wants. He's pretty much immune from Trump meddling and has the power to get all of the information necessary

OceanBlue

I feel like Pelosi's kind of doesn't realize that Mueller is basically what she wants. He's pretty much immune from Trump meddling and has the power to get all of the information necessary
She probably realizes it and is just playing political games. She might want to keep fueling this story.

I think she knows what's up. She knows Mueller will run a tight ship, and she wants to keep the leaks coming. Best way to do that is with multiple investigations, especially ones where congress is involved.

Pelosi knows exactly who he is and that it's exactly what she wants. But she's keeping the pressure by being vocal about what needs to be done.

Kyzer

Banned
Pelosis job is to always push further. Even if somehow everything the democrats wanted was passed, her job would be to ask for the next thing.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Chumly

Remember last night when the Whitehouse claimed it was perfectly fine with a Special Counsel? And that it would get all this silliness out of the way?

I SURE DIDN'T EXPECT DONNIE TO TWEET THE OPPOSITE EARLY IN THE MORNING

Whitehouse staffers: "We've created a response plan, Mr. President."

BI5k4Ev.jpg

Donnie:

BDT6IwG.gif
Seriously. Did they think we were going to believe that crap from last night? It was a clearly planted "leak" to the press

Mask

Yeah, I can't see Mueller putting up with the pissy comments from repubs trying to deflect back to "buh buh the leakers :((", so it's a good thing they're not doing public things anymore since that just gave ammo to Fox News and other shitty alt-right sites.

And heck yes will Mueller include Comey's unconstitutional firing in his investigation. I wouldn't be surprised if Comey has already talked to him in private.

Oh lord at that tweet, we gon eat!

Stinkles

What is so fucking special about Flynn that the administration basically risked their political lives defending him?

I've always felt like he's the bagman/getaway driver in this attempted heist. He's the connection for the election money, and Donnie's prior money issues with Russia and Deutschebank softened him up and turned the campaign into a money laundering hellscape.

Pure guesswork/imagination/creamy horsepucky.

What is so fucking special about Flynn that the administration basically risked their political lives defending him?

At some level, the narrative he helped to spin of Hillary Clinton being a criminal - "Lock Her Up!" - helped Trump in convincing people that, whatever his own shadiness, he was the better alternative. So the admin may feel indebted to Flynn for that.

Or they happen to have mutual friends...

Stinkles

So...

2 people would know about this message. Flynn and Trumpy.

Or the message was legally obtained through a subpoena and its content leaked. That's where a bunch of this stuff is coming from. And the leaks are designed to make the people involved panic and try to spin too many plates at once. Every time they drop one (Comey memo, Trump request to drop investigation) it smashes on the floor and they now have to pick up the pieces.

mclem

It sounds like Rosenstein has put forth a matter of protections for Mueller. He cannot be fired by the President, or anyone else. Mueller is entirely on his own on this investigation.

How's it funded? Is that a way it could be stymied?

Top Bottom