• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former FBI Director Mueller appointed special counsel for Trump-Russia investigation

Is this the part of the movie where the clearly fucked man is running for the plane. Because Flynn looks about as fucked as one can look fucked right now

How is a special prosecutor that is still under Trump's chain of command (to Pelosi's point) considered anything approaching independent?

Pelosi's point muddies the waters a little. Sure Trump could put pressure on the DOJ to fire the guy, but that's about the extent of which his stench can touch the investigation.

An independent counsel wouldn't be bad though, so she's gonna push regardless.

Looking at the Wikipedia page on this, maybe not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contempt_of_Congress

I think he's still angling for a deal, or it was decided he has to be the one to take the fall.

Sounds to me like he's going to prison from the wiki:

Under this process, the procedure for holding a person in contempt involves only the chamber concerned. Following a contempt citation, the person cited is arrested by the Sergeant-at-Arms for the House or Senate, brought to the floor of the chamber, held to answer charges by the presiding officer, and then subjected to punishment as the chamber may dictate (usually imprisonment for punishment reasons, imprisonment for coercive effect, or release from the contempt citation).

I know how people feel about Louise Mensch, but it would seem that some of her stories are beginning to be confirmed. I still take her articles with a shit load of salt (particularly since Jeff Sessions wasn't arrested), but it at least suggests she must have some credible sources.

Is it possible Flynn has more backbone than we thought?

Will he dig deep and refuse to flip on his fellow traitors?

Find out NEXT TIME on POTUS Ball L!

Soooo...he can be arrested if he doesn't, right?

Not if he's already back in mother Russia by then.

This is clearly illegal. He has a 5th amendment right against self incrimination but he still has to show up even if all he does is invoke the 5th the entire time he's there.

At this point, with all of them pulling the victim card I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if republicans start showing up to the Russian embassy asking for asylum as a persecuted group.

ArjanN

I don't see how books covering this election and presidency can be anything short of 3000 pages.

Early preview:

War-and-Peace-Miniature-Edition1-500x500.jpg

Paz

I know how people feel about Louise Mensch, but it would seem that some of her stories are beginning to be confirmed. I still take her articles with a shit load of salt (particularly since Jeff Sessions wasn't arrested), but it at least suggests she must have some credible sources.

If you see a lot of smoke and start talking about a bunch of possible fire scenarios that doesn't make you credible. Don't fall in to the trap of thinking someone is legitimate because they threw a bunch of darts at the wall and one of them hit for 10 points.

DeviantBoi

Watch Trump pardon Flynn, lol

Pretty sure he can't.

Not sure if I can explain it... but one of the investigations is in either Virginia or NYC, and if he's charged with a crime there, Trump wouldn't be able to pardon him. It's only if he was charged federally.

Something like that... I'm sure someone can explain it better.

EDIT: I know this is from Mensch's blog, but I think it explains it:

https://patribotics.blog/2017/05/11...-means-president-hatch-rico-case-against-gop/
Some readers have expressed dismay that President Trump may use his powers of pardon to escape justice by pardoning his own confederates in their crimes. Several, separate sources with links to both the intelligence and justice communities note that any person or candidate who accepted laundered donations through banks with branches in Wall Street (even if they are from, say, Wisconsin) is liable to charges from New York's state Attorney General Eric Schneiderman. Further, it is understood that the FBI and Federal Prosecutors are working on multiple sets of charges both carefully and individually. Were Mr. Trump to pardon General Flynn for violating the Logan Act, as one example, Flynn would have to accept he committed the crime and Trump would thereby admit his own guilt, leading to impeachment. Prosecutors might then bring separate, subsequent cases against Flynn for RICO, violations of FARA, lying to the FBI, lying on his SF-86, and so forth. At the same time, state courts, where Trump has no powers of pardon, would proceed against Flynn on money laundering crimes, and obstruction of justice charges against Trump might be laid out by Federal prosecutors before the Senate. Violation of the Logan Act is one charge against Flynn which applies to both Trump and Pence, and some lawyers read the power of Presidential pardon as not to apply to cases involving a President's own impeachment.

Why are you so angry Donny.

If you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to worry about.

Because he thinks he should be beyond *question*. That's why he's so angry.

The question is, can he avoid doing something illegal in reaction to his anger at the investigation even being a thing. I'm not sure he can (or has).

If you see a lot of smoke and start talking about a bunch of possible fire scenarios that doesn't make you credible. Don't fall in to the trap of thinking someone is legitimate because they threw a bunch of darts at the wall and one of them hit for 10 points.

I'm not suggesting everything she reports is accurate, but its rather unlikely she would just randomly guess correctly about:

The FISA warrants.
Jason Chaffetz stepping down early.
Paul Ryan being caught on tape discussing Russian money.
Etc.

3rdman

What is so fucking special about Flynn that the administration basically risked their political lives defending him?

Being the cynic that I am...I think Flynn has info/dirt on Trump & Co. and the Orange Baboon knows this. I wouldn't be the least surprised that he already assured Flynn that he would be granted a pardon IF he plays ball and falls on the sword.

What did Trump text him today? "Stay strong"

Seriously this tweet can be interpreted as witness tampering...We have a 12 year old for a president, you guys...

I'm not suggesting everything she reports is accurate, but its rather unlikely she would just randomly guess correctly about:

The FISA warrants.
Jason Chaffetz stepping down early.
Paul Ryan being caught on tape discussing Russian money.
Etc.

Yeah it's clear she has quality sources. The end result of most of her articles seems a bit far fetched, but at this point well within the realm of possibility.

The fuck? I mean, that talk about them actually being arrested was funny in the last months, but now we'll gonna see it for real?

Well, I'll be

Why would he resist the subpoena? Isn't that fucking stupid?

KingV

Yeah it's clear she has quality sources. The end result of most of her articles seems a bit far fetched, but at this point well within the realm of possibility.

I'm wondering if she gets scoops because she is willing to publish anything. Like a real reporter is going to require verification of some sort, but she just goes "fuck it" and puts it on her blog.

So some sources might be more comfortable going to her than a real reporter... but it also leads to a lot of bullshittery in there with the real stuff.

Favorite CNN comment just now. "So the response is 'Why didn't this happen to Obama? Or Clinton? So they've had choir practice, basically."

He just filed FEC paperwork to start his own PAC.

He knows what's up and thinks he'll walk away from it.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/pence-creates-pac-ahead-2018-2020-elections-n761436

I wonder what Trump thinks about that. Are they even on speaking terms?

But isn't Pence wrapped up in this too, for being the head of the Transfusion team that ignored Flynns admission of intelligibility for the NSA position that they offered him anyway? And whatever other countless things happen to surface that we didn't previously know about...

Top Bottom