• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former FBI Director Mueller appointed special counsel for Trump-Russia investigation

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Well...
JYiAn0i.jpg

Comey's close friend, who tweeted something similar a few hours before the Comey memo news

Isn't he also the Lawfare guy?

This gon b gud

Trouble

Banned
But isn't Pence wrapped up in this too, for being the head of the Transfusion team that ignored Flynns admission of intelligibility for the NSA position that they offered him anyway? And whatever other countless things happen to surface that we didn't previously know about...

Very much so. I'm pretty sure he told Trump that Flynn was damaged goods, but Trump said hire him anyways and Pence later lied publicly about it.

Pilgrimzero

I don't see how books covering this election and presidency can be anything short of 3000 pages.

What's really icing on the cake is that Trump may have the "honor" of being a president but history will shit on him forever.

As Chaucer (the author) said in one of my fave movies

"I was naked for a day. You will be naked for eternity".

Xe4

Banned
I'm not suggesting everything she reports is accurate, but its rather unlikely she would just randomly guess correctly about:

The FISA warrants.
Jason Chaffetz stepping down early.
Paul Ryan being caught on tape discussing Russian money.
Etc.
She has soures but don't vet worth shit. Ergo, she's not reliable, but is right ocassionally.

It's probably best not to take anything she says too seriously.

Very much so. I'm pretty sure he told Trump that Flynn was damaged goods, but Trump said hire him anyways and Pence later lied publicly about it.

Rumor: supposedly they are figuring out how to pin that all on Trump or trusting his aides so he gets off free.

"Never Trump" Rick Wilson: If you work for Trump, it's time to quit

You learned quickly that your job isn’t actually to serve the nation, manage your agency or fulfill the role you ostensibly play according to the White House org chart. In reality, you spend most of your time fluffing Trump’s ego. Either that or you’re making excuses for not being a more aggressive suck-up. If you’ve been ordained to appear on television as an administration surrogate, you know by now that your task isn’t to advocate for your agency or issue, but to lavish the president with praise.

Now, you see the daily train wreck; you see a White House in turmoil and a president drawing an ever-tighter circle of family and corporate vassals around himself. You worry that the scandals and legal troubles, that have been rumbling on the horizon like a summer thunderstorm, are drawing nearer. You should worry.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Either in this thread, or one of the other 12 "breaking news: yet another crisis in Washington" type threads over the last week, someone posted this very nice article about Comey and Mueller concerning events from the Bush years.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2013/...ob-mueller-and-jim-comeys-unusual-friendship/

Some choice quotes:

Comey, who had studied religion at William & Mary, began his remarks with the example of biblical exegesis (the study of texts) to explain how legal analysis and intelligence collection were closely related. “It involves a maniacal focus on the meaning of words, the history of words, the biases of historical observers, the biases of contemporary scholars,” he told the assembled crowd. “Words carry great freight, words telegraph outcomes and often foreclose discussion.”

But then, preamble concluded, Comey moved to the heart of his speech. As is often the case in the shadowy world of the intelligence community, there were two audiences for his speech. At the time, nearly no one in attendance knew about the crisis that had nearly put the Justice Department and the NSA on a collision course and had threatened to upend George W. Bush’s presidency in the midst of his reelection campaign. Much of Comey’s speech, though, was directed at the few people in the room who were quite aware of what had transpired. “It can be very, very hard to be a conscientious attorney working in the intelligence community. Hard because we are likely to hear the words, ‘If we don’t do this, people will die,’” he told the crowd, standing at the podium and looking out at the darkened faces before him. “‘No’ must be spoken into a storm of crisis, with loud voices all around, and with lives hanging in the balance. . . . It takes an understanding that, in the long run, intelligence under the law is the only sustainable intelligence in this country.”

“The way in which you choose to serve does not matter—only that you work to better your country and your community,” Mueller said, bedecked in the green and black gown of the school that taught Thomas Jefferson and James Monroe.

But Mueller cautioned the graduatating students that one attribute mattered more than any other in a life of service: “Regardless of your chosen career, you are only as good as your word. You can be smart, aggressive, articulate, and indeed persuasive. But if you are not honest, your reputation will suffer. And once lost, a good reputation can never, ever be regained.”

Top Bottom