• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former FBI Director Mueller appointed special counsel for Trump-Russia investigation

Xe4

Banned
Sooooo.... What if Muellers investigation proves Trump is innocent? Can we play devil's advocate for a moment
Assuming it's a well run investigation (I respect Mueller, so it probably will be), I accept the conclusion and move on to continue resisting. I accepted long ago that I would agree with whatever the FBI stated. When Coney got fired, it made me freak out because I didn't know if I could agree with the investigation.

With Mueller, I'll agree with the conclusion again. It's possible Trump is innocent, or there's not enough conclusion to prove his guilt. If so, it is what it is.

ICO_SotC

From that Newsweek article:

Unlike former presidents who have made the trip, such as George W. Bush and Bill Clinton, Trump declined to land the helicopter at a base of the historic site and then take the cable car up, preferring to cancel the visit altogether.

Good god.

He literally asked Russia to hack Clinton's emails. I will be stunned if he didn't collude in some fashion.

Someone made money off the sale of Rosneft shares. If the money went to a Trump shell corp he's busted.

Sooooo.... What if Muellers investigation proves Trump is innocent? Can we play devil's advocate for a moment

Trump will never spend a day in jail for this. I have no delusions that he will. I'd rather have this bring down the entire GOP and cripple them until the Democrats get in. Trump being deemed innocent doesn't matter in that case, because if everyone else around him is taking the fall it still looks terrible.

From that Newsweek article:

Good god.

News of the president’s cancellation stirred reactions among observers of the American-Israeli relationship and officials inside the country. “Well Masada was too hot, so we found a great spot instead for POTUS,” Eitan Weiss, deputy spokesperson for the Israeli Foreign Ministry tweeted, appearing to mock the reason for the cancellation.

It will be the first visit by a sitting U.S. president to the Western Wall (Barack Obama only visited the site as a presidential candidate).

That has to be insulting, he could of been the first and to have Obama be there as a candidate.

Brewmont

Banned
So if this is a good thing, I wonder why many Republican news sites are acting like this is a win for them....I assume just that they think it will take longer and give them time to stall/ or that they now have a talking point of "well the investigation is ongoing, we don't want to comment."?

He literally asked Russia to hack Clinton's emails. I will be stunned if he didn't collude in some fashion.

Someone made money off the sale of Rosneft shares. If the money went to a Trump shell corp he's busted.
Just a joke, like when he asked Comey about locking up reporters or the R "family" speculating that Putin supports Trump

Xe4

Banned
Trump will never spend a day in jail for this. I have no delusions that he will. I'd rather have this bring down the entire GOP and cripple them until the Democrats get in. Trump being deemed innocent doesn't matter in that case, because if everyone else around him is taking the fall it still looks terrible.
He'll never end up in jail. He may go down Nixon style though, which I'm fine with. I want Trump to suffer by having the public at large hate his guts.

It won't hurt the GOP either. Just look at Reagan's success after the GOP. Best case it's a short term bump for democrats.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Didn't Trump just burn Israel's ISIS mole the other day? Just take the cable-car, man, you should try and smooth over the relationship, don't cha think?

Xe4

Banned
Didn't Trump just burn Israel's ISIS mole the other day? Just take the cable-car, man, you should try and smooth over the relationship, don't cha think?
That assumes Trump has any sense of smarts or diplomacy, which he doesn't as should he obvious by now.

Morts

As other folks have said, he may very well be completely ignorant of any of the Russian shenanigans, but he tried to obstruct justice with Flynn. He's toast.

I agree, obstruction should be clear cut, but it wouldn't be the first time a powerful man got away with some that blatant.

Mask

So if this is a good thing, I wonder why many Republican news sites are acting like this is a win for them....I assume just that they think it will take longer and give them time to stall/ or that they now have a talking point of "well the investigation is ongoing, we don't want to comment."?

They're too stubborn to admit that Trump is fucked, their minds just won't allow it. They'll flip-flop over everything until it's literally impossible for them to do so. Even as Trump is in chains and sitting in prison, they'd still insist it's "all part of the plan, gonna drain the swamp from inside prison" or that "prison will keep him safe from evil liberal assassins" or some shit.

Well...
JYiAn0i.jpg

Comey's close friend, who tweeted something similar a few hours before the Comey memo news
Christmas in May, yay.

Xe4

Banned
As other folks have said, he may very well be completely ignorant of any of the Russian shenanigans, but he tried to obstruct justice with Flynn. He's toast.
If it were anyone else, I'd agree. But it's very difficult to take down a president (as it should be).

He'll never end up in jail. He may go down Nixon style though, which I'm fine with. I want Trump to suffer by having the public at large hate his guts.

It won't hurt the GOP either. Just look at Reagan's success after the GOP. Best case it's a short term bump for democrats.

This is a bit different than Watergate, because this seems to be a larger conspiracy (with a hostile foreign country) with many members of the party implicated in it.

Reagan came about because Jimmy Carter was a bad president and a bad person to lead the Democrats after Watergate. The economy problems also didn't help.

For all we know, this could be one of those events like the Great Depression or the Civil War that leads to one party dominating politics for decades. Watergate is just one blip on our long history.

CHC

Well...
JYiAn0i.jpg

Comey's close friend, who tweeted something similar a few hours before the Comey memo news

I am so excited. Seriously, this whole thing is just amazing entertainment. If all goes as it seems like this will really be quite a historical time.

Top Bottom