• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former FBI Director Mueller appointed special counsel for Trump-Russia investigation

Well now I have an urge to watch Where Eagles Dare again. Lots of fun.

Trump_Eagle.gif

ICO_SotC

riotous

Banned

This is really fucking good.

On Mueller handling the NFL investigation of the Ray Rice controversy (hired as a consultant):

To understand what they’re now up against, Trump’s embattled White House aides should spend the day reading Mueller’s 2015 report to the NFL, which recruited him to investigate the league’s culpability in Ray Rice’s domestic violence case. Mueller’s subsequent lengthy report oozes thoroughness and the unique gravitas of an experienced prosecutor—his team, some of whom will now be working alongside him in the Russia investigation, devoured millions of documents, text messages and emails; tracked down nearly every person who had been in the building; and called all 938 telephone numbers that called in and out of the league headquarters during the period in question. His rundown of the NFL headquarters’ procedures for receiving mail and packages alone runs to five pages—he almost surely learned things that the NFL’s own mailroom staff didn’t know about who signs for what packages when.

On Comey and Mueller fighting the Bush admin and Cheney on an NSA program they felt was illegal:

Yet even amid the stress of that time, Comey didn’t hesitate to force the issue of STELLAR WIND, standing up to the vice president. During one White House meeting, Comey said he couldn’t find a legal basis for the program.

“Others see it differently,” a scowling Cheney replied.

“The analysis is flawed—in fact, fatally flawed. No lawyer reading that could reasonably rely on it,” Comey said, his hand sweeping across the table dismissively.

Cheney’s counsel, the famously aggressive David Addington, standing in the back of the room, spoke up: “Well, I’m a lawyer,” he snapped, “and I did.”

Comey shot back, “No good lawyer.”

The room went silent.

What concerned Comey and the Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel was that the NSA program appeared to go far beyond what was allowed for domestic surveillance—and without radical changes, they thought it was both unconstitutional and illegal. Ultimately, though, it wasn’t Jim Comey’s arguments, legal or political, that stopped the Bush White House in its tracks on STELLAR WIND.

It was Bob Muelle

WOW... "No good lawyer"

shiba5

Thanks for sharing that. A good and insightful read, although the author is in danger of gushing at times.

It's understandable if he's been covering Washington for a long time. In a writhing sludge of self-proclaimed patriots, Mueller is the proverbial needle in a haystack - the real deal.

Sephzilla

What in the world? A career politician as FBI Director? Isn't it historically a position for people with loads of experience in the court room?

You think Trump knows or cares about that?

Trump wants Flynn back....no seriously....

DAIcToGXoAAFDlQ.jpg

Ok, now I'm starting to think Flynn must have some kind of big dirt on Trump or something. Trump is going to bat for him at a ridiculous level even for Trump.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

The story about Comey racing against Gonzalez and Card to the hospital room of John Ashcroft to prevent them from manipulating him in his drugged up state into signing a sweeping spying program, will never cease to amaze me. Really incredible stuff that somehow has flown under the radar and isn't told enough.

Seriously. I rewatched the 2007 footage of Comey testifying to the committee revealing this story and it is just shocking how the GOP blatantly attempts these wretched abuses of power consistently under any terms.

Morat

Banned
It's understandable if he's been covering Washington for a long time. In a writhing sludge of self-proclaimed patriots, Mueller is the proverbial needle in a haystack - the real deal.

Fair enough. It's a matter of style, but the point that remains convincing.

You think Trump knows or cares about that?

Ok, now I'm starting to think Flynn must have some kind of big dirt on Trump or something. Trump is going to bat for him at a ridiculous level even for Trump.

Yeah, we were discussing this recently. There's something about Flynn that Trump is desperate to protect. With each piece of news we get it becomes more obvious that Flynn is the key to all of this.

shiba5

"This was a counter-intelligence investigation. It is now a criminal investigation."~ Senator Lindsey Graham after meeting w/ DAG Rosenstein

huh.

/beaten

Seriously.
What's with Trump's hardon for Flynn?

No doubt he doesn't want him to get busted, because they're both tied to Russia.
However, there's literally no reason to have him come back. It'd just cause more trouble.

kirblar

"This was a counter-intelligence investigation. It is now a criminal investigation."~ Senator Lindsey Graham after meeting w/ DAG Rosenstein

huh.

/beaten
It means originally this was looking at external forces conspiring against the US, and that it expanded to include traitors within the US.
Rosenstein was told that Comey was going to be removed from his position PRIOR to him writing the recommendation
Ya, we knew this, he just needed to make it explicit in order to have a career after the Trump admin is done.

kris.

Banned

Sephzilla

Top Bottom