• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramparter

Banned
Anyway other team would be looking to hire younger talent but with Ferrari you never now.

Oh and Mercedes should get Ric, not Alonso.

Jezbollah

Frentzen and Villeneuve both got screwed over because Mclaren and Ferrari were so dominant and they had no chance of displacing Hakkinen or Schumi.

I don't think either of them would have been top-tier, mind.

Hmm. Frentzen had the best car in F1 in 1997 and only scored six more points in the championship than the Newey-less McLaren. Villeneuve had more wins than Frentzen had podiums in that year....

Williams post 1997 was an epic clusterfuck of all proportions. They lost Newey to McLaren, they lost the works Renault engine supply and stayed on Goodyears when the smart move with the introduction of grooved tyres was to go with Bridgestone.

Ferrari didnt exactly dominate until the year 2000 as it stands. Broken leg aside for Schumi, he was still making up for the cars deficiencies after 97. McLaren were insanely quick as soon as Newey got into that team. They were as dominant then as Mercedes are right now.

Aiii

So not worth it
Frentzen had a lot of trouble adjusting to Williams, and had huge issues with Patrick Head in particular, his performance notable suffered that year as a result.

He more than made up for that in 1999.

Jezbollah

Frentzen had a lot of trouble adjusting to Williams, and had huge issues with Patrick Head in particular, his performance notable suffered that year as a result.

He more than made up for that in 1999.

That doesn't surprise me. He certainly flourished under Eddie Jordan.

xrnzaaas

I wouldn't want Ferrari to drop to being the third fastest team (if the new Renault engine rumors are true), because that would effectively mean the end of Arrivabene and he's a great team boss and he deserves to be there.

Rosberg could be going to Ferrari next year.

If anyone hasn't caught the news going around a few sites yesterday/today, here are the details...

- Italian media reports that talks are taking places between Rosberg and Ferrari. (2) (3)
- Interview with Rosberg, no denial. "I'm happy at Mercedes, but let's see what the future brings."
- Wolff ousts Alonso as an 'option'. "If he (Rosberg) does not want to renew, then we will consider other options, like Fernando."
- Vettel jokes about the rumour, but doesn't deny it either. "As long as he's not flirting with me it's good news! Everything else you need to ask our boss which is Maurizio."

Silly season starting early this year!

Ferrari: VET / ROS
Mercedes: HAM / ALO (WEH?)
McLaren: BUT / VAN

???

Just sounds like standard contract re-negotiation fare.

Driver: I have options, you know.

Team: So do we.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Alonso would probably sell his left nut to get a seat at Mercedes.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
One of my favorite drivers ever, the often undervalued Heinz-Harald Frentzen, turned 49 today.

I feel that if Germany had been more open to supporting more than one driver at a time (During the Schumi days it didn't matter how many Germans were on the grid, Kai Ebel and his crew would have you believe the only German driver around was Michael Schumacher, much like they now pretend only Seb drivers under the German flag), I'm sure Frentzen would have been a much bigger deal and gotten much better drives over the years.

Anyways, his best move ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeGDtvSz3VQ

I liked David Duchov....i mean Frentzen as well. The season he was fighting for the championship was great.

HHF getting the Jordan to within striking distance of the Championship was one of the great efforts. I can still picture him rolling to a stop from the lead at the Nurburgring. Gut punch.

I wouldn't want Ferrari to drop to being the third fastest team (if the new Renault engine rumors are true), because that would effectively mean the end of Arrivabene and he's a great team boss and he deserves to be there.

Ferrari is due an engine upgrade in Canada no?

Shaneus

Rosberg could be going to Ferrari next year.

If anyone hasn't caught the news going around a few sites yesterday/today, here are the details...

- Italian media reports that talks are taking places between Rosberg and Ferrari. (2) (3)
- Interview with Rosberg, no denial. "I'm happy at Mercedes, but let's see what the future brings."
- Wolff ousts Alonso as an 'option'. "If he (Rosberg) does not want to renew, then we will consider other options, like Fernando."
- Vettel jokes about the rumour, but doesn't deny it either. "As long as he's not flirting with me it's good news! Everything else you need to ask our boss which is Maurizio."

Silly season starting early this year!

Ferrari: VET / ROS
Mercedes: HAM / ALO (WEH?)
McLaren: BUT / VAN

???
Silly season indeed. Rosberg is saying almost exactly the same thing I'm sure Vettel did. Fernando would be great at Merc, as long as they keep their dominance going for 2017. I doubt it though, with the way some of the other teams are performing. Namely RBR.

Strange to see that RBR will be one of the most stable teams going into next year! Would never have thunk it. Can only hope they don't have another Vettel/Webber situation on their hands with Wunderkind getting preferential treatment.

Ohhh, that does look pretty good. Published by Sega, too. I'm way more excited for a manager than a racing game. Must be the age.

Hopefully they have easy import features for names and liveries.

I like motorsport manager, but I hope the new one isn't just a PC release.

It isn't, according to Eurogamer.

If you've played the mobile game, you'll be familiar with the fundamentals - you're running a team, taking care of recruiting drivers and engineers and delving into a tech tree that underpins the development of your car. It's all been retooled thoughtfully for its debut on PC, Mac and Linux, though - this isn't the mobile game with a few bits of extra bodywork thrown on, and instead is a totally new beast, built from the ground up. As you'd expect from a team that's able to lean on the expertise of Football Manager dev and Sega stablemate Sports Interactive, it's a slick and neatly optimised brand of management that's on offer here.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ets-to-the-heart-of-what-makes-f1-fascinating

ramparter

Banned
Ohhh, that does look pretty good. Published by Sega, too. I'm way more excited for a manager than a racing game. Must be the age.

Hopefully they have easy import features for names and liveries.

Me too. Spend dozens of hours playing Grand Prix World. Too bad it was too old for decent mod support after a while. And then had my hopes up for that GPRM which is probably dead after being like a decade since announced...

Mastah

It's nice to have dreams. I'm pretty sure Mercedes team has quite different opinion, as no one sane would hire a driver, who's barely faster than Haryanto. You only need to look at what Bianchi was doing to Chilton week in, week out to see what kind of performance top teams expect.

Chassis ranking by Autosport based on observations and GPS data from last GP:

1. Red Bull RB12
2. Mercedes W07
3. Ferrari SF16-H
4. McLaren MP4-31
5. Toro Rosso STR11
6. Williams FW38
7. Force India VJM09
8. Renault RS16
9. Haas VF-16
10. Sauber C35
11. Manor MRT05

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/124354/ranking-the-f1-chassis-after-barcelona

ElTorro

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Mercedes can't afford both Hamilton and Alonso, that would be 120 million just for driver salaries every year. Their budget for everything is 250 to 300 million.

Mercedes can't afford both Hamilton and Alonso, that would be 120 million just for driver salaries every year. Their budget for everything is 250 to 300 million.

Wut? Alonso and Lewis are on roughly £20-25m/year. Besides, Alonso would probably bring some Spanish sponsors if he could/wanted to. And Alonso has his own sponsors as well. I'm sure he'd be willing to take less money for a third WDC.

And they would easily make some of that back with merchandise; you'd have all of Spain buying Mercedes gear suddenly.

Aiii

So not worth it

If by 250 to 300 you mean 500 you'd be correct.

And it's Mercedes, they can afford whatever they want to afford, basically, but Hamilton doesn't make 60 million a year, neither does Alonso.

tomtom94

It's nice to have dreams. I'm pretty sure Mercedes team has quite different opinion, as no one sane would hire a driver, who's barely faster than Haryanto. You only need to look at what Bianchi was doing to Chilton week in, week out to see what kind of performance top teams expect.

Chassis ranking by Autosport based on observations and GPS data from last GP:

1. Red Bull RB12
2. Mercedes W07
3. Ferrari SF16-H
4. McLaren MP4-31
5. Toro Rosso STR11
6. Williams FW38
7. Force India VJM09
8. Renault RS16
9. Haas VF-16
10. Sauber C35
11. Manor MRT05

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/124354/ranking-the-f1-chassis-after-barcelona
So looks like I was right to call out Williams back in testing for falling off the pace, which Bottas helpfully proved in Spain.

spuckthew

Not that either of them are paid anywhere near 60 million anyway (by Mercedes themselves at least), but Daimler's net income is like €10 billion so it's not like they're short on cash.

ElTorro

I am sure that at this point Alonso would pay to get a Mercedes seat.

Zeknurn

@tgruener: There might only be 2 upgraded engines ready for Monaco - 1 for Renault & 1 for Red Bull. Who should get them? AMuS: https://t.co/gHnpow3evW
@tgruener: Renault has not decided yet when to introduce the upgraded engines after successful Barcelona test. We'll have to wait for that first. #AMuS

I hope Ricciardo is preparing himself to get Webbered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom