• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastah

Speaking of pit stops:

Formula 1 ‏@F1 1h1 hour ago

Five in a row! @WilliamsRacing are proving unstoppable in the race for the DHL Fastest Pit Stop Award #SpanishGP

Cij6IehWsAAULo2.jpg:large

Zaru

Some thoughts:

- I really wonder what goes on in Hamilton's head right now, this has been a terrible year for him so far. Forget winning, an 18 year old in what is probably a 3rd fastest car on the grid right now has more leading laps than him. And despite the PR talk, the atmosphere in the team must be crushing right now.

- It must be even worse at Ferrari right now after having dropped ANOTHER potential 1-2 win that Mercedes initially handed to them, by kinda not picking the right strategy when it mattered (first was Australia)

- The podium felt a bit too reserved, they should have gone all out in celebrating. It was perfectly symbolic. The youngest driver on the grid, the oldest driver on the grid who raced with his father, and someone inbetween who currently has the most championships of an active driver and previously held the youngest win record, all starting in different engine eras (V6, V10, V8)... there are probably more fun facts about this constellation.

hadareud

The Translator
I missed the race yesterday and just watched Davidson's analysis of the crash.

Rosberg slowed down quite a bit in that corner compared to Hamilton, I don't think you can blame Hamilton for trying to take advantage and trying to pass. For me, that crash is Rosberg's fault, or at least more Rosberg's fault than Hamilton's.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
And Kvyat got the fastest lap of the race.

By other a second,

When he got his fresh tyres he was running 3 seconds faster than the lead pack. Unfortunately he ended up right behind them, but instead of attempting to unlap himself, he wisely chose to stay out of the way.

What frustrates me is why we have these tracks.

All weekend all they say is "everyone knows it's difficult to pass round here", then either drop the race or change the track.

I was really excited for that conclusion then all the happens is the faster car pulls up behind someone and nothing happens.

Kill turns one and two, have a longer straight that runs into a sharp new turn one that runs into the existing turn 3. How hard is that, the longer straight makes the DRS/ Drag more effective and you have some overtaking.

They have to sort out the aero, it's killing the sport.

GG Max though.

xrnzaaas

When he got his fresh tyres he was running 3 seconds faster than the lead pack. Unfortunately he ended up right behind them, but instead of attempting to unlap himself, he wisely chose to stay out of the way.

I'm pretty sure it was the team's call. RIC was allowed to keep fighting for a podium finish until his tyres couldn't handle it anymore. He was lucky by the way that he managed to stay in 4th.

mclem

I thought he was just trying to get close enough to Vettel to say hi.

dalin80

Banned
Some thoughts:

- I really wonder what goes on in Hamilton's head right now, this has been a terrible year for him so far. Forget winning, an 18 year old in what is probably a 3rd fastest car on the grid right now has more leading laps than him. And despite the PR talk, the atmosphere in the team must be crushing right now.

He is probably aware that the season is already over thanks to reliability issues and the inevitable penalties for power supply bits, he probably hopes to get a few more stats to his name before promoting up to the WEC.

ramparter

Banned
He is probably aware that the season is already over thanks to reliability issues and the inevitable penalties for power supply bits, he probably hopes to get a few more stats to his name before promoting up to the WEC.

Reliability only gets better as season progresses and the points gap isn't that bad with 14 races left but the penalty from already wasting so many units can be a serious problem...

Mohonky

The stuff about “significant portion” and stuff doesn't mean you can divebomb alongside your opponent and then expect the other driver is forced to leave space instantly.

That's not what the rules sate or even be reasonable from a racing perspective. If we are really going that route then it would mean that it would have been Vettel's fault if Ricciardo crashed into Vettel when Ricciardo missed the breaking point.

Wtf are you on about? This post reminds me of those stupid images on facebook rught now about how apparently Hamilton does this to Rosberg all the time but never gets called on it.

It was on a straight, Rosberg was not taking a racing line. Rosberg attempted to block but underestimated the speed difference between Hamilton as Hamilton already had his nose beyond Rosbergs rear tire. With Rosberg moving over there is no where to go except off the track.

Its entirely different than dive bombing down the inside of a corner and overshooting or maintaining a racing line through the corner.

The stewards report says exactly what each driver was entitled to. Hamiltons car had a significant portion of it beside Rosbergs. Rosberg moves over in an attempt to block; ordinarily, Rosberg would have been deemed to have run Hamilton off the road however the stewards (even rightly as a Hamilton fan myself) pointed out that because of the excessive speed difference and as such the closing rate Hamilton made coming up the side of Rosberg, Rosberg probably had no idea Hamilton was no longer behind him but actually up on the side of him.

Normally if a car is beside another and moves over forcing the opponent off the road the car that moves over and does not leave enough space for the other on the edge of the track is penalised but the stewards deemed in such case applying the rule in black and white doesnt really reflect how the incident would have been seen from the driver who was moving over.

It was a racing incident; the rules and how they are applied in this situation are entirely different to the one you are trying to draw comparisons too.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd have to give a tiny bit more blame to rosberg - he must have noticed he was in the wrong engine mode and therefore Hamilton would have significantly more speed, so the swipe across the straight seemed more like a straight block but he just misread the situation and perhaps the closing speed.

Fox Mulder

Some thoughts:

The only way Mercedes has lost is when they mess up. Shit can happen when you allow your drivers to race for wins instead of using team orders, but they're still sitting pretty in the best car with every opportunity to dominate each race on the calendar. Hamilton can still get pole and win every remaining race with that car.

It's always turned into some nuclear disaster drama when this happens to Mercedes, but I don't see why when they have the luxury of shrugging it off when it happens once a season or whatever.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I'd have to give a tiny bit more blame to rosberg - he must have noticed he was in the wrong engine mode and therefore Hamilton would have significantly more speed, so the swipe across the straight seemed more like a straight block but he just misread the situation and perhaps the closing speed.

Nico was literally without all ERS power in that corner, Lewis had over 30 km/h advantage. He (Nico) harvested a lot of power during warm up lap, so he was able to deploy it until the end of climb, but then car went into harvesting mode and his speed fell. That was the moment he realized that engine setting is wrong.

Massa

Reliability only gets better as season progresses and the points gap isn't that bad with 14 races left but the penalty from already wasting so many units can be a serious problem...

If Hamilton win 10 races and Rosberg 4, and they get a 1-2 for every race, then it's 379 points for Hamilton and 380 for Rosberg. Winning 70% of the remaining races would still not be enough.

And with engine penalties he won't be able to win a couple of races at least.

AndyD

aka andydumi
One thing I do like about the crash is that it shows how not having paved runoffs makes the track matter a lot more. If there were paved runoffs everywhere there'd be far less consequences like yesterday.

Business

Both were just too aggressive. The incident benefits Rosberg because besides it's one less race to go and he is in front, he shows he won't be intimidated and Hamilton will have to be pretty sure he can pull his next move safely before he attempts to overtake.

People would be calling for Roseberg's head if the situation was reversed. This is about as clear cut, "racing incident" as you can get, with probably a touch more blame going on Lewis since Rosberg was leading. He wants the golden boy treatment from the team when he is #1, got to return the favor when Nico is on top. Moreover, Lewis has benefited greatly in his career from other drives having more self preservation than he does when he goes for aggressive moves. If it were two Hamilton's in the cars at Merc, there would have been about 15 crashes like Sunday's by now. He is a gifted passer, but he has also had a lot of smart top class drivers give him space so their race isn't fucked.

Was so nice to have a non Merc race. They need to work that into next year's regulations some how.

ramparter

Banned
If Hamilton win 10 races and Rosberg 4, and they get a 1-2 for every race, then it's 379 points for Hamilton and 380 for Rosberg. Winning 70% of the remaining races would still not be enough.

And with engine penalties he won't be able to win a couple of races at least.
Ros won't get to finish every race, just wait and see.

The Chesh

Neo Member
Is it only the Renault works team that is testing the new engine this week or is it also being bolted into the back of the Redbull?

Shaneus

Was so nice to have a non Merc race. They need to work that into next year's regulations some how.
It was almost like "A Christmas Carol" in that it was like a "What if Mercedes didn't exist?" scenario. I don't know how, but maybe it'll have some influence on rules to bring teams closer together. Maybe.

yami4ct

Worth nothing when you are almost a minute off race pace. (when the Mercs are out)

At least they took the mistakes of last year and made active improvements.

Everything's a mess in other areas of the team, but progress is progress. Hopefully we see a similar bump in both the team strategy and car design after this year.

Did Rosberg become a world champion without anyone noticing?

We all know that Mercedes is working hard on sabotaging Lewis' season and that Rosberg is basically the WDC 2016, because it's in his contract.

But what I'm really hoping for is an amazing fight for the title, without any DNF shenanigans. As long as we get that, I don't care if Lewis or Nico wins it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom