• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juicy Bob

Bianchis could, reasonably, about the later race start time compromising the safety of the race as it gave them a smaller window to host the race and not able to compromise with a potential red flag delay to wait until the conditions were better because of the lack of light.

They could also argue that having Sutil crashing and deciding to recover it with a tractor without a Safety Car was unnecessarily dangerous also, and I'd agree with that.

Oh, and didn't Jules have to be transported by ambulance because the medical helicopter couldn't fly in those conditions? That is a massive issue as well...

Business

Bianchis could, reasonably, about the later race start time compromising the safety of the race as it gave them a smaller window to host the race and not able to compromise with a potential red flag delay to wait until the conditions were better because of the lack of light.

They could also argue that having Sutil crashing and deciding to recover it with a tractor without a Safety Car was unnecessarily dangerous also, and I'd agree with that.

Oh, and didn't Jules have to be transported by ambulance because the medical helicopter couldn't fly in those conditions? That is a massive issue as well...

Yeah I agree on all three points.

Mastah

2 crashes in first 15 minutes of GP2 practice. Great job by all these drivers today.

And another one, all 3 accidents in Sainte Devote.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Rumor is that Bianchi's family is suing the FIA, F1 and Marussia for Jules' death.

Pretty sure he died because he was going too fast under yellow flags. These cases always feel less like someone wanting justice and more like cashing in on a tragic death. It's just as despiteful as the case against Porsche by that F&F star's daughter. If there was something the authorities would have long sued the responsible persons.

Tanis

Pretty sure he died because he was going too fast under yellow flags. These cases always feel less like someone wanting justice and more like cashing in on a tragic death. It's just as despiteful as the case against Porsche by that F&F star's daughter. If there was something the authorities would have long sued the responsible persons.

I've always felt that the FIA got too much of a pass with Jules' death. It should have been a safety car.

When a sector is under yellows the race is still on. As I understand it there isn't a fixed amount a driver has to slow by and they are obliged to go as fast as they think they can get away with to keep their lap times competitive. The rain was worsening and that corner was probably getting more dangerous every lap. A second car slipping off was a possibility under yellows and there shouldn't have been the crane in the way.

Aiii

So not worth it
It was a freak accident, with hindsight you can point to a couple of things that should have been done different so Jules wouldn't have crashed, but in that moment, I don't think the decisions they made were negligent in any way.

They learned from the incident and implemented further measures to bridge between double yellows and SC with the VSC, so F1 got a little bit more safe thanks to that, there's no further safety to be gained by another lawsuit.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I've always felt that the FIA got too much of a pass with Jules' death. It should have been a safety car.

When a sector is under yellows the race is still on. As I understand it there isn't a fixed amount a driver has to slow by and they are obliged to go as fast as they think they can get away with to keep their lap times competitive. The rain was worsening and that corner was probably getting more dangerous every lap. A second car slipping off was a possibility under yellows and there shouldn't have been the crane in the way.

From what I remember after the crash data showed that Bianchi was just keeping his speed and not slowing down significantly as double yellow flags were waved.

A safety car wouldn't have changed anything, at that time you could go as fast as possible without overtaking behind the safety car.

Orbis

If Jules had properly reacted to the flags he was still alive today.
It's sad and tragic but yes, as has always been the case, drivers were not correctly responding to the yellow flags. We now have VSC because drivers cannot be trusted to respond to yellow flags.

We see recovery vehicles and people on the circuit all the time, if drivers slow down the danger is minimal.

Mastah

Grosjean lost it before chicane. What's going on? I don't remember so many crashes in practice before, it was always 1 or 2 accidents before quali.

Aerodynamic question! Perhaps the ultrasofts are too much grip compared versus the aero the cars are making here? It would give extreme confidence to go through the fastest sections but when aero is needed upon braking from 8th gear and the faster turns do the cars just stop working? That's where everyone is losing it. Either losing grip exiting corners or braking.

In other words, are the tyres "too" soft? This is stuff they can adapt to, of course.

The cars are ludicrously fast this year but it looks like pinball.

Mastah

Guess it's safe to say we'll see a lot of safety cars on Sunday, with or without rain.

I doubt it, they are always cruising on Sundays these days and as we can see today crashes happen usually when drivers are on the limit.

Danny 6 tenths faster than Mercs, 14.6 :D

Danielsan

I doubt it, they are always cruising on Sundays these days and as we can see today crashes happen usually when drivers are on the limit.

Danny 6 tenths faster than Mercs, 14.6 :D
Must have been watching a different season. :D

And damn what a lap from Danny.

Mastah

Nice progress by Renault:

Kevin Magnussen says Renault has actually "made its car worse" with the changes introduced for the Monaco Grand Prix weekend.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/magnussen-says-renault-has-made-car-worse-740588/

The Monaco glamour:

James Moy ‏@jamesmoy

So you think #F1 in Monaco is all about the girls and glamour?

CjZLqDnWkAAHh5b.jpg:large

Mohonky

The Monaco glamour:

Laugh it up but he's probably some rich old dude with a hot as fuck young model wife.

I mean yeh Flavio makes my skin crawl but that doesnt seem to put the women off and Flavio makes that guy look like a total stud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom