• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

John_B

Drivers gets a drive-through penalty for cutting corners on purpose. Drivers has to give back a position if an overtake was not legal (off track, during safety car, etc).

Massa

So a relatively trustworthy Brazilian journalist just posted that Marcus Ericsson admitted to the team that he crashed into Nasr intentionally.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
So a relatively trustworthy Brazilian journalist just posted that Marcus Ericsson admitted to the team that he crashed into Nasr intentionally.

What the hell. If that's true then Ericsson has some serious issues.

Zeknurn

I would probably wait for a more reliable source than a Brazilian journalist to report it, especially since a Brazilian driver is involved.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Apparently they told Nasr to let Ericsson pass several times, but he just ignored the radio, so Ericsson just went for it.

Fisico

Apparently they told Nasr to let Ericsson pass several times, but he just ignored the radio, so Ericsson just went for it.

Going for it and crashing into another driver intentionally are two different things

Ok maybe not for Maldonado and Kvyat this year

Drivers gets a drive-through penalty for cutting corners on purpose. Drivers has to give back a position if an overtake was not legal (off track, during safety car, etc).
It's impossible to prove whether every cut corner is 'on purpose' or not. For instance, Hamilton's one is seen as a genuine mistake, but it's entirely possible that he decided 'well I'm going to brake here and if it doesn't turn in then so be it'. If he had braked earlier and made it turn in, would Ricciardo have been in a better position to attempt a pass? Again, impossible to say.

There should be a single rule - if you cut a corner (and there is a chasing car within a certain distance), you concede the place.

Going for it and crashing into another driver intentionally are two different things
I wouldn't be surprised if it's a misinterpretation of what Ericsson said, out of bias, or in order to create a headline. It's pretty clear from the footage - he stuck his car in a gap out of frustration, not malice. It looked like a case of 'I'm putting my car there and if he doesn't get out of the way that's too bad', rather than 'I'm taking this guy out yo'. It was a light tap in a very slow corner, not some deranged attack.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a misinterpretation of what Ericsson said, out of bias, or in order to create a headline. It's pretty clear from the footage - he stuck his car in a gap out of frustration, not malice. It looked like a case of 'I'm putting my car there and if he doesn't get out of the way that's too bad', rather than 'I'm taking this guy out yo'. It was a light tap in a very slow corner, not some deranged attack.

Yes, the gap was a lot bigger than when Kvyat tried it on Magnussen - and they weren't even fighting for position. It was frustration making Ericsson go for a move that had very little chance of success.

Business

That's the impression I get both of the crash and the headline too.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed

thanks !

God damn it Michael bay.

Michael-Bay.jpg

Massa

The snippet from the article:

Na manhã desta segunda-feira, recebi a mensagem de uma fonte muito próxima à equipe Sauber. O recado:

Marcus Ericsson admitiu que bateu de propósito no companheiro Felipe Nasr. O piloto sueco confessou a má intenção na manobra em reunião com a chefe suíça Monisha Kaltenborn no domingo em Mônaco.

This Monday morning I received a message from a very close source to the Sauber team:

Marcus Ericsson admitted to crashing into Felipe Nasr on purpose. The driver confessed his bad intention in a meeting with the team boss Monisha Kaltenborn on Sunday in Monaco.

The language is pretty clear.

DD

The snippet from the article:

The language is pretty clear.

Well, this might be some misinterpretation by the source. He told Mariana Becker (Globo journalist that was at the race yesterday) that he was the responsible for the crash, that the collision was entirely his fault. From "I did that" and "I did that on purpose" there isn't a great distance in between.

Anyway, Globo covers F1 for many decades, and they know their stuff and have their good sources. Being the biggest media outlet in Brazil, they don't usually go for kinds of silliness. Knowing them, this isn't something they would do just for the sake of it. But I refuse to believe that Marcus would do that on purpose, specially given their current financial situation.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

Yeah, that's probably it. Which is also bad, given that they were competing for an irrelevant 15th place.

I don't believe any driver would ever tell his employer that he took his teammate out on purpose. I'm not sure there's anything you could do to get yourself blacklisted quicker across all of motorsport than that.

Doing it would be bad enough, but admitting it? Nope.

Fox Mulder

Should be fired for that if true, but Sauber is too broke to fire a pay driver.

Just dumb with the teams financials and pointless positions at the back of the grid.

Should be fired for that if true, but Sauber is too broke to fire a pay driver.

Just dumb with the teams financials and pointless positions at the back of the grid.
I was under the impression that Nasr is the one bringing the bucks to Sauber with his Banco do Brasil connection

Hmm Canada is a pretty intense circuit with mostly medium speed but sharp corners and tonnes of hard acceleration (while turning) and braking zones. With not much cool down time in between.

The chicane heavy circuit needs tyres that will stay together through a lap without overheating too much from all the aggressive speed and direction change.

I guess the ultra softs will be for quali (two laps and chuck em) while the softs are for racing?

Renault look like they want to qualify on ultras, prob pit early and do long stints on softs, while Haas seem like they want to do many fast stints on ultras with a long run on softs.

Maybe.

I think that there is a solid chance Max Crashtsappen will get close with one of the walls in Canada [turn 4 or 14].

Even if he does, he will not be the only one.

The unfortunate thing for Max, is that for all his hype, he is not faster than Ricciardo in any important session, especially in quali he is many tenths off his pace.

It's not like when Lewis joined McLaren and immediately put Alonso under pressure or when Ricciardo joined RB and showed Seb to be quite vulnerable. Even Perez going to McLaren and fighting JB all round town. Max hasn't shown any of that.

I feel like Max will want to push hard to match or beat Ricciardo, which will force more errors. If he just takes it easy and doesn't fight too hard before he is more comfortable, he will then just be called slower and lacking inspiration etc etc etc.

He's in a pretty tough place at the moment.

I can see all it taking is one call from the pit wall that he doesn't like, followed by a crash/accident or poor performance and the criticism coming down even harder than ever before.

DD

The unfortunate thing for Max, is that for all his hype, he is not faster than Ricciardo in any important session, especially in quali he is many tenths off his pace.

It's not like when Lewis joined McLaren and immediately put Alonso under pressure or when Ricciardo joined RB and showed Seb to be quite vulnerable. Even Perez going to McLaren and fighting JB all round town. Max hasn't shown any of that.

I feel like Max will want to push hard to match or beat Ricciardo, which will force more errors. If he just takes it easy and doesn't fight too hard before he is more comfortable, he will then just be called slower and lacking inspiration etc etc etc.

I can see all it taking is one call from the pit wall that he doesn't like, followed by a crash/accident or poor performance and the criticism coming down even harder than ever before.

It's kind of unfair to Max. None of the other examples got their cars mid season.

Ark

While I mostly agree, to be fair to Max, he's much younger and less experienced than those you mentioned. He has a lot of potential though, that's for sure.

It's kind of unfair to Max. None of the other examples got their cars mid season.

I agree. I give him until the flyaways in September, IMO. If he is not up to pace by then, then perhaps he isn't worth all the hype.

You can teach craft, but not pace. Alonso, Hamilton were known quantities the second they stepped in. Same for Vettel.

Hasney

To think that even after that terrible stop, he still came out right behind Hamilton. It just shows how much of a screw-up that was.

Yup, they had the right strategy. That clear lap on inters would probably have put him a decent chunk ahead of Hamilton had that not been screwed up so bad.

hamchan

Like Hamilton said when Max was first called up, I just hope this early call up doesn't hurt his career in the long run. It may have been a fairy tale story in Spain but Monaco was so disastrous for Max and the only thing to blame for it was Max's driving.

Miserable indeed. How the fuck this happens to a top tier F1 team I don't know. A team that is worth hundreds of millions of dollars looks like a bunch of amateurs. Daniel is quite right to be mad because this is one of the most never-should-happen mistakes you could ever see.

ramparter

Banned
How the fuck this happens to a top tier F1 team I don't know.
They said it was because they opted for the super soft at the last minute and the tyres were at the back of the garage.

So much hate for Max already, I think he drove amazingly and it's not like he crashed because of a risky or overambitious move.

WTF seriously? It was one race only (SPAIN), in monaco he crashed, let's see what happens in the next races.

They said it was because they opted for the super soft at the last minute and the tyres were at the back of the garage.

So much hate for Max already, I think he drove amazingly and it's not like he crashed because of a risky or overambitious move.

WTF seriously? It was one race only (SPAIN), in monaco he crashed, let's see what happens in the next races.

I agree, but still, if he is still 3-4 tenths off the pace down the line, it could crush his confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom