• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

Mick Schumacher won both of his Formula 4 races from pole today and is now ranked second in the championship. He said on TV earlier today he wants to move up to Formula 3 next year.

One of his current Formula 4 competitors is "Germany's fastest girl", Sophia Flörsch who has pretty clear career goals: 2016 Formula 4, 2017 Formula 3, 2018 GP2, 2019 F1. RB and Ferrari are reportedly interested in her.

Zaru

One of his current Formula 4 competitors is "Germany's fastest girl", Sophia Flörsch who has pretty clear career goals: 2016 Formula 4, 2017 Formula 3, 2018 GP2, 2019 F1. RB and Ferrari are reportedly interested in her.

Hasn't she already ran into financial issues? She's gotta impress more to attract big sponsors, or that'll be the end of it. Not a problem someone like Mick is facing.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Hasn't she already ran into financial issues? She's gotta impress more to attract big sponsors, or that'll be the end of it. Not a problem someone like Mick is facing.

I don't think that a very fast single-seater female racing driver would have huge issues finding sponsors. Such a driver would probably be Bernies favorite dream coming true.

Zaru

I don't think that a very fast single-seater female racing driver would have huge issues finding sponsors. Such a driver would probably be Bernies favorite dream coming true.

I fully agree that the prospect of a female F1 driver must be wetting the marketing appetites of quite a few wealthy people in the sport, but she really needs to be hella fast. Not "ok" fast, not paydriver fast. FAST.
Because promoting the hell out of a female driver all the way to F1 and then seeing her not be up to the pace would just look like confirmed stereotypes and be a huge disappointment, with a much stronger symbolic impact than some random male driver with the same result (which we're practically used to by now)

chadskin

She participated in the British Ginetta Junior Championship last year where she said it was indeed difficult to attract (German) sponsors, hence the decision to concentrate fully on F4 this year. Haven't heard of financial issues since.

I think she's doing well so far, was the first woman ever to score points in F4, had a bit of tough luck with other drivers crashing into her and is currently in 9th place after three of eight race weekends. Not too shabby for her first year in the series.

DBT85

I fully agree that the prospect of a female F1 driver must be wetting the marketing appetites of quite a few wealthy people in the sport, but she really needs to be hella fast. Not "ok" fast, not paydriver fast. FAST.
Because promoting the hell out of a female driver all the way to F1 and then seeing her not be up to the pace would just look like confirmed stereotypes and be a huge disappointment, with a much stronger symbolic impact than some random male driver with the same result (which we're practically used to by now)

I disagree on her needing to be FAST, most of the grid couldn't be classed as FAST. Just being competative with a team mate would be fine, same as anyone else. If she's 4/10ths slower in every session it won't cut it. If she's mixing it up from race to race then that would be fine. That on top of being the only woman on the grid would get sponsorship with no issue at all.

Zaru

I disagree on her needing to be FAST, most of the grid couldn't be classed as FAST.

Well, I should have clarified what fast means: Reaching great results (preferably second or first) in feeder series prior to entering F1 while at an appropriate experience level. Even many current F1 drivers that never stood out that much managed to do so, so it's kind of a base requirement. And then, of course, while in F1, not getting destroyed by a typical teammate.

Aiii

So not worth it
I disagree on her needing to be FAST, most of the grid couldn't be classed as FAST. Just being competative with a team mate would be fine, same as anyone else. If she's 4/10ths slower in every session it won't cut it. If she's mixing it up from race to race then that would be fine. That on top of being the only woman on the grid would get sponsorship with no issue at all.

Lets face it...
XCpIL9yu.jpg

I'd market the fuck out out of her.

If she's actually capable of reaching Haryanto/Palmer times, she's gonna be gold for sponsors.

Judging you her looks marketing won't be a problem.

I mean, if a neanderthal looking human being like Pastor Maldonado got sponsors, why shouldn't she?

Zaru

Lets face it...
XCpIL9yu.jpg

I'd market the fuck out out of her.

I don't like that her looks matter a lot in this but it would inevitably be a huge factor.

Ironically the only female F1 driver who ever scored points (well, half a point) wasn't exactly a beauty. There's just so few of them.

Looks matter for women in typically male dominated sports.

Look at Danica Patrick. You think she would be where she is if her driving remained the same but she looked like below average?

Aiii

So not worth it
Fun thing I didn't realise, the next 8 weekends will hold 6 F1 races (all races will be in pairs of two back-to-back with two weeks in between each pair).

Zaru

Fun thing I didn't realise, the next 8 weekends will hold 6 F1 races (all races will be in pairs of two back-to-back with two weeks in between each pair).

Damn, you're right. So much F1. But then there's the usual summer break. And after that we still have 9 races left!

Lach

So far it looks like a dry Friday and Saturday and good chance of rain on Sunday....

Pretty good outlook if the rain isn't too strong.

Mercedes and Redbull teams can alter their tyre pressures during the race according to amus.

- Pirelli and the FIA have reportedly noticed that two teams have shown in-race pressures that are consistently 2 PSI lower than their competitors.

- McLaren reportedly suspects that the offending teams have come up with a double-walled rim in which pressure can be released while the car is running.

DBT85

FIA looking to have biometric data for crashes soon it seems

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/124671/fia-eyes-biometrics-next-in-crash-data-push

The governing body has released the results of its investigation into Fernando Alonso's high-speed crash in the Australian Grand Prix.

It was the first time it had analysed data from the high-speed camera, installed on cars at the start of this season, in conjunction with its accident data recorder and in-ear accelerometer tools.

The camera, which took video frames of the driver every one hundredth of a second, showed Alonso's helmet made contact with the left inside part of the headrest twice during the impact, corresponding with two peaks seen on the ear accelerometer data.

"The next step is biometrics - gathering data from drivers such as heart rate, body heat and even sweat levels.

"I hope that we will be able to put something on a driver before the end of the season, at least in a test.

"Biometric data will help us to assess the driver's conditions before, at the time of the crash and after the crash, as far as the rescue operations are concerned."

Zaru

Imagine a future where we can see the biometric data of two drivers fighting for a position.

Or for example comparing the Mercedes drivers' heartrates while coasting in the lead compared to catching up after troubles.

mclem

Mercedes and Redbull teams can alter their tyre pressures during the race according to amus.

- Pirelli and the FIA have reportedly noticed that two teams have shown in-race pressures that are consistently 2 PSI lower than their competitors.

- McLaren reportedly suspects that the offending teams have come up with a double-walled rim in which pressure can be released while the car is running.

Curious how they'd do that - I thought the actual makeup of the tyre itself is entirely within Pirelli's control?

itsgreen

Omg. Just received the coolest part. Too bad I am giving it away as a present to a friend :)

Got the left mirror from Alonso's Melbourne crash.

I'm so-so on the rain chance. My preferred computer models don't entirely agree for now. It's going to be very temperate, though, under 20C, with some north breeze which would be a tailwind down the final straight.
Wonder if Kimi's sensors would pick up anything.
BAC?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I'm so-so on the rain chance. My preferred computer models don't entirely agree for now. It's going to be very temperate, though, under 20C, with some north breeze which would be a tailwind down the final straight.

That sounds like absolute nightmare for Ferrari.

ramparter

Banned
Is there a "problem with Hamilton's car" bingo card yet?
No. You see there's no way a team would sabotage their own driver, this is just some crazy conspiracy dudes. Therefore it's completely coincidental that Ham got problems on 5 out of 6 races and he probably already had all this years bad luck. No more problems for him on next 15 races.

No. You see there's no way a team would sabotage their own driver, this is just some crazy conspiracy dudes. Therefore it's completely coincidental that Ham got problems on 5 out of 6 races and he probably already had all this years bad luck. No more problems for him on next 15 races.
I mean there's "conspiracy" and your mechanics not giving a flagrant fuck about how well your car is put together.

DBT85

Curious how they'd do that - I thought the actual makeup of the tyre itself is entirely within Pirelli's control?

The suggestion is that Merc and RBR have developed double walled rims, not tyres. So for the test the tyre has x pressure in it and then something happens which opens a flap/valve on the rim letting mroe air out of the tyre into between the walls of the rim, dropping the pressure.

Sounds complicated and easy to spot since its Pirelli who mount the tyres IIRC.

Zeknurn

Another theory is that the teams heat the rims and brake discs to increase the temperature of the air in the tyres for the FIA check and then the pressure goes down as they cool down.

markao

That's almost a months old "news" and they have not backed anything of it up since. They have switched teams that are involved a few times, so just rumours/speculation.

Why are they doing that again?

Omg. Just received the coolest part. Too bad I am giving it away as a present to a friend :)

Got the left mirror from Alonso's Melbourne crash.

That's awesome. I have Jarno Trulli's underwear from his final race with Renault when Kimi passed him in the final corner of Magny Cours to take the podium.

He had shaat himself as proof of the long brown stain.

itsgreen

Details please.
pzQd5zl.jpg

iBNO4rs.jpg

A friend who I watch F1 with always notices mirror fluttering, so wanted to get him a F1 mirror for his birthday as a joke. Wasn't able to get one for a reasonable price at short notice...

But then I received an email last week from a guy who I have bought tons of other parts from that he had something cool for a good price. It was this thing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom