• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubc35

Plus he surely made some more damage to his PU and new gearbox

Well, to be honest, this was their only option. And they can drop that TAG HEUER bs right now
Yeah I guess so. The Tag Heuer stuff is BS.

Both RBR and STR get to rebrand their Renaults, so no, they won't.
I saw that too, it's so odd to me Renault allows them to do that.

ramparter

Banned
I must have missed the Red Bull Renault PU extension. After endless bitching and moaning they're staying with Renault, lol.

Red Bull: Renault engine deal extended until 2018

Renault has made improvements, and the fact they're running a works team now probably helps, but man did Red Bull bitch, moan, complain, whine, etc for a long time about this.
It's easy to laugh at them but they are in a situation where the strongest you manufacturers won't supply them. So in the end their only hope is for Renault to up their game.

I know they be been whining a lot but their situation is one of the things I dislike in modern F1.

dubc35

It's easy to laugh at them but they are in a situation where the strongest you manufacturers won't supply them. So in the end their only hope is for Renault to up their game.

I know they be been whining a lot but their situation is one of the things I dislike in modern F1.

It really started to bother me a lot towards the end where I almost started to dislike RIC by association. So the news reminded me of that time. I've moved on and I think they have as well since then.

hadareud

The Translator
I can't remember a time in F1 when you had a god given right to be supplied with the best engine only because you were good at bitching like a whiney horrible little wanker that thinks they're owed the world because they're rich.

Teams more successful and with much more history had a tougher time getting a decent engine in the "good old days".

They had one difficult season. Fuck them.

DD

KimiRaikkonenCrash.jpg

Haha, I mean, in my head, the Finns (specially rally drivers) are supposed to be the gods of slippery conditions. :p

Some new onboard footage from Monaco:

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom...ures/2016/6/f1-best-monaco-onboards-2016.html

Kimi is really one of the worst drivers in wet conditions nowadays, to be overtaken by Gutierrez around the outside of Massenet and then stuff it in the slowest corner in F1 calendar? Ever since he returned he's hopeless on non-slick Pirellis.

Wow, that was a really shitty move by Bottas that I haven't seen before. =o

I can't remember a time in F1 when you had a god given right to be supplied with the best engine only because you were good at bitching like a whiney horrible little wanker that thinks they're owed the world because they're rich.

Teams more successful and with much more history had a tougher time getting a decent engine in the "good old days".

They had one difficult season. Fuck them.
They act like they're McLaren with those shitty ass Peugeot engines.

DBT85

Weird, their attitude is one of the things I dislike about modern F1.

Chris R

Just watched the Monaco race this morning. What a great race, loved seeing Danny fight with Lewis.

Would love to see that race again without the moving German chicane in front of Lewis for the first 15 laps or whatever and if Danny had a perfect pit stop.

Kahoona

Just watched the Monaco race this morning. What a great race, loved seeing Danny fight with Lewis.

Would love to see that race again without the moving German chicane in front of Lewis for the first 15 laps or whatever and if Danny had a perfect pit stop.

If Danny's pit stop was just 3 seconds quicker, he would've won the race. He didn't even need a mediocre pit stop let alone a perfect one.

frontieruk

Ty4on

It's a little OT for this thread, but this is an absolutely fantastic article from Marshall Pruett of Racer Magazine on how Alexander Rossi won the Indy 500.

Also talks about how he basically had to learn how to save fuel on the ovals on the fly during the race. Brilliant strategy by Herta and execution by Rossi.
That's pretty cool. I don't follow Indycar so thanks for the link!
I laughed out loud at the clutch and coast. The fuel savings are massive from coasting (especially at those revs), but it sounds so alien for racing. Really cool that he was able to handle it.

Yeah just when the concept of "lift and coast" seems quite like non-racing, Rossi's team had to take it one step further, "clutch and coast", wonder if in some extreme condition that would happen in F1, although I understood the fuel limit will be raised for 2017 onwards

DieH@rd

Banned
The track was always supposed to be this wide, except for that castle street.

I like everything except first few 90 degree corners.

DD

You know what? I think that this will be the best street circuit in the calendar. It looks great, doesn't seem impossible to overtake like Monaco.

AndyD

aka andydumi
This has 'Mercedes hunting ground' written all over it

Castle section is fairly short though

That's my take too. The best part, the castle part is too short. Otherwise it seems like turn, floor it, turn, floor it. Though I like the urban setting. Makes me want to see a Paris track round the arc, eifel tower and those nice rounded turns at La Defense.

RayStorm

It's got a bit of elevation and I would think the overhanging trees make it less dull than Valencia, even from regular cameras which was the big problem with Valencia.

Chuck

Still without luck
I also think it looks like a solid circuit. We don't get that many tracks with a bunch of long straights.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know, Baku looks pretty sweet to me. Looks quite fast and the narrow section with the castle turret is cool

Business

Tragic news in Moto2 from Barcelona, Luis Salom was killed today in crash during Free Practice 2:

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2016/06/03/statement-luis-salom/202682

It's rumored he was hit by his own bike :(

This is really shocking... fucking hell.

edit: Just seen some crappy footage from the crash. Stadium section penultimate turn, lost it on entry and went through the asphalt run-off just after his bike so he ended up crashing on the bike rather than the barriers. Very unlucky.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
edit: Just seen some crappy footage from the crash. Stadium section penultimate turn, lost it on entry and went through the asphalt run-off just after his bike so he ended up crashing on the bike rather than the barriers. Very unlucky.

Really unfortunate accident.

Awww no, RIP Luis. So young, so sad and i was looking forward to the MotoGP this weekend but this will be on my mind, as well as everyone there too.

#Mexicano39 :(

Now i'm reminded of how much i miss Simoncelli too :(

Mastah

They will use F1 layout from tomorrow.

Laying tarmac there instead of making it safer, made it deadly and now this fantastic configuration won't be used. Great job :/ But the worst thing is that there are many places on calendar where exactly the same situation can happen - asphalt all the way to barriers, with no chance of scrubbing speed - like last 2 corners at Red Bull Ring.

In the wake of the incident, it is understood that MotoGP riders were unhappy about the prospect of having to use a corner where there is no gravel to slow down the bike in the event of a crash – only tarmac run-off.

http://www.motorsport.com/motogp/ne...barcelona-f1-layout-after-salom-death-743318/

Patrick S.

Banned
It's rumored he was hit by his own bike :(

Holy crap, yes. There's a video on Youtube and you see that the bike smashes into him after he had smashed into the wall.

We've probably seen the same video, to me it looks like there's a smaller object flying into the wall before a bigger object, that's why I thought the driver went first.

Mastah

Horrible thing to happen in Moto2:(

Holy crap, yes. There's a video on Youtube and you see that the bike smashes into him after he had smashed into the wall.

We've probably seen the same video, to me it looks like there's a smaller object flying into the wall before a bigger object, that's why I thought the driver went first.

As the bike tends to have less friction it seems the bike(larger object) crashes into the barrier and the rider(smaller object) crashes into/under the bike.

DBT85

They will use F1 layout from tomorrow.

Laying tarmac there instead of making it safer, made it deadly and now this fantastic configuration won't be used. Great job :/ But the worst thing is that there are many places on calendar where exactly the same situation can happen - asphalt all the way to barriers, with no chance of scrubbing speed - like last 2 corners at Red Bull Ring.

That's the issue using circuits for both cars and bikes. For cars, its undoubtedly safer to have tarmac since the cars don't dig in and flip and can get the brakes on since they'll typically be on all 4 wheels unless its such a huge crash that its irrelevant. For bikes of course that's not the case and they really quite like the gravel.

spuckthew

Holy shit that looks brutal (as it clearly was). But man, being torpedoed by your own bike...fuck.

But there used to be gravel there, right? I can't see why else the MotoGP riders would be all "nope, we ain't using this layout anymore". Obviously I understand their reasoning because the lack of gravel has resulted in a fatality, so it's got them all worried, but surely someone would have flagged it as being dangerous before?

super.modulaire

Neo Member
Holy shit that looks brutal (as it clearly was). But man, being torpedoed by your own bike...fuck.

But there used to be gravel there, right? I can't see why else the MotoGP riders would be all "nope, we ain't using this layout anymore". Obviously I understand their reasoning because the lack of gravel has resulted in a fatality, so it's got them all worried, but surely someone would have flagged it as being dangerous before?

Everyone knew before that this layout is more dangerous than the F1-layout. But almost all riders preferred the MotoGP-layout because it's faster with nice flowing bends.

Several MotoGP riders tested the layout in 2014 at the post-race test, but only Marc Márquez said he liked it. Everyone who tried it said it was safer, but they all hated it, as it took the flow out of the track. They rejected the idea of using it, and stuck to the bike layout on which Salom was killed.
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/motogp/motorcycle-racing-danger-opinion/

There hasn't been gravel in years I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom