• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
The only thing Lewis had a right to be angry at in Baku was himself

Come on now, that twisty switch has like 10 different settings, you can't expect Hamilton to remember all 10 of them.

I still don't understand why they didn't just pit Hamilton and had an engineer switch the settings for him, though.

Zaru

I still don't understand why they didn't just pit Hamilton and had an engineer switch the settings for him, though.

The setting had less of an impact on his laptimes than his distracting fiddling around did.

Also it said that the rampage happened after qualifying, so it was unrelated to the race problems.

Zeknurn

The setting had less of an impact on his laptimes than his distracting fiddling around did.

Also it said that the rampage happened after qualifying, so it was unrelated to the race problems.

I knew we never lost 2011 era Hamilton. He's just been holding it back since everything has been going his way the last two seasons and because Rosberg has been a threat until now.

Mercedes needs to do something about him if he can't handle his team mate beating him in qualifying.

I heard Alonso is available.

Come on now, that twisty switch has like 10 different settings, you can't expect Hamilton to remember all 10 of them.

Hamiltons settings were correct, it was the software that had been incorrectly configured. If there'd been another tyre stop they probably would've had an engineer fix it like you say but they must've thought better to live with the loss in power rather than lose 25+ seconds for a pitstop.

Lewis throwing hissy fits and Rosberg just playing bumper cars whenever they meet on-track.
IIRC, the only time these two have played nice was Monaco, under the orders of the team. Otherwise, it's been:

Australia: Lewis pushed wide by Nico, loses many positions.
Barcelona: Both collide
Canada: Nico pushed wide by Lewis, loses many positions
Austria: Both collide

GAFfers with better memories than mine, is the above correct? Have there been any other occasions when they've met under race conditions in 2016?

Lewis throwing hissy fits and Rosberg just playing bumper cars whenever they meet on-track.

I just don't understand how they imagine these two drivers remaining in the same team next year. Why would you even consider signing Rosberg to a new deal? Sure, he's a good driver, sure he might become WDC despite himself this year, but why would you want these two to continue on?

I mean, as long as Mercedes is dominant it doesn't matter if they occasionally clash and lose points since there's no threat to their championship anyways, but if that dominance ends next seasons or beyond that? Those are some expensive points to be lost.

Just get rid of Rosberg and put a clear 2nd driver in that seat, restore some peace to the team. If they re-sign Rosberg, Toto just proves what a complete ditz of a team manager he really is.

I'd imagine both drivers to have a pretty strong lobby internally, especially Rosberg (Ger team + driver).

Does anyone here know if the Monza track changes are due to be in place this year? I was just about to book tickets but where I was going to go will be a waste of time if they've removed the first chicane.

Ark

IIRC, the only time these two have played nice was Monaco, under the orders of the team. Otherwise, it's been:

Australia: Lewis pushed wide by Nico, loses many positions.
Barcelona: Both collide
Canada: Nico pushed wide by Lewis, loses many positions
Austria: Both collide

GAFfers with better memories than mine, is the above correct? Have there been any other occasions when they've met under race conditions in 2016?

Malaysia 2013 when Brawn imposed his rather silly telling Nicole not to overtake Lewis despite being wildly faster.

I do wish they'd just get rid of Rosberg already. They could steal Vandoorne away from McLaren if they wanted; they owe Rosberg nothing.

Although, I will be salty if Rosberg wins the title. I won't even lie.

kharma45

So will a significant portion of this thread, it's like having multiple Ted Kravitz. I hope Lewis does lose out to see the tears flow and hear how Rosberg doesn't deserve it.

Haha, holy crap, there was no ambiguity about this collision. Nico being a compalete ass, but you can tell he is sick of Lewis pushing him wide and is willing to gamble both of them getting damaged rather than watch Lewis push him around. I love it, these two fucking with each other is going to be the only redeeming things for this third successive Merc snooze fest.

Ugh, fucking Ferrari. Every time there is hope for Vettel, they manage to fuck something up. When Kimi gets a podium, they might as well put a cardboard cutout up there. I have never seen a driver just coasting and doing a job more than him. What happened to the Iceman? Maybe fatherhood has made him more pragmatic.

Can't wait for Silverstone, let's hope Lewis and Nico are next to each other on the grid.

dubc35

Ugh, fucking Ferrari. Every time there is hope for Vettel, they manage to fuck something up. When Kimi gets a podium, they might as well put a cardboard cutout up there. I have never seen a driver just coasting and doing a job more than him. What happened to the Iceman? Maybe fatherhood has made him more pragmatic.

It's like years of not giving a fuck has resulted in...well not giving a fuck, lol.

I'd imagine both drivers to have a pretty strong lobby internally, especially Rosberg (Ger team + driver).

Rosberg winning the championship gives the team more leverage with #blessed.

That Newey car looks amazing, doubt they'll make a Le Mans version though.
Porsche would eat its lunch anyway.

ramparter

Banned
Malaysia 2013 when Brawn imposed his rather silly telling Nicole not to overtake Lewis despite being wildly faster.
Yeah Brawn wasnt really the type to let drivers do whatever they want. Not sure how I feel about it but at least you get the respect of having control of your team. Post Brawn Merc have failed miserably on that

Ark

Yeah Brawn wasnt really the type to let drivers do whatever they want. Not sure how I feel about it but at least you get the respect of having control of your team. Post Brawn Merc have failed miserably on that

It feels like post-Brawn Mercedes is run more like a corporate entity than a racing team. Everything they do feels so fake and soft.

Even Red Bull/McLaren have more life than a Mercedes.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Toto will held a meeting with both drivers on Thursday and he will issue final warning for both of them

Aiii

So not worth it
You can't keep these two in the same team for another season if you ever wish to have a united team again.

So fuck Rosberg in that case, since he probably didn't sign a new deal yet. Replace him and be done with it. I mean, it's not like he's going to be winning a WDC on his own quality of driving, anyways.

I honestly have no idea what Toto and his guys have to gain with keeping the pairing of Rosberg and Lewis.

Yes, Rosberg is "German" but the Germans barely give a shit about him compared to Vettel so there's no reason to believe Wehrlein won't be just -or more- marketable than Nico.

Where does Nico go though? Push out Button at McLaren? I can't see Nico and Vettel. Nico and Max at RB? But then Ricardo to Ferrari seems insane. 2017 season can't come soon enough, hoping for major shake up. Edit: Derp, Nico and RIC could just swap. I think Lewis and RIC would get along ok.

Aiii

So not worth it
RIC is with RBR until 2018 and I don't see why any top team would want Rosberg over any of their current drivers. He can go to Force India or something.

Zaru

I think Lewis and RIC would get along ok.

Ric never had to fight for a championship. I doubt he'll be all smiles next to someone like Lewis in a car that can win him a title, no matter how different his personality is from Rosberg.

Seb and Lewis can banter lightheartedly because they've never been direct title rivals (in the run 2010 and 2012, yes, but not mano a mano)

DBT85

There are like 7 dials and even more modes to each dial when holding another button or turning another dial to a certain point. On top of that, it went wrong through nothing to do with him. Working out what the hell was happening would have been quite tricky I imagine. Nico was able to fix it because it went wrong after he changed a setting.

So will a significant portion of this thread, it's like having multiple Ted Kravitz. I hope Lewis does lose out to see the tears flow and hear how Rosberg doesn't deserve it.

If he scores more points he deserves it. That's not going to change the fact that Lewis has had some terrible luck with the car. I'm more looking forward to people hating on #blessed when he beats Nico despite all the problems he's had.

Where does Nico go though? Push out Button at McLaren? I can't see Nico and Vettel. Nico and Max at RB? But then Ricardo to Ferrari seems insane. 2017 season can't come soon enough, hoping for major shake up. Edit: Derp, Nico and RIC could just swap. I think Lewis and RIC would get along ok.

I'm guessing he'd go to Mclaren. I don't expect Button to stay there for next year.

NHale

Ferrari has already started working on its 2018 Formula 1 project, according to team principal Maurizio Arrivabene, as it looks to end its long title drought.

Kimi Raikkonen was the last Ferrari driver to win a world championship in 2007, one year before its last constructors' title.

After winning three races in 2015 with Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari has shown similar pace again this year, but has failed to put a strong enough grand prix weekend together to win.

Arrivabene has previously said that Ferrari has no intention of giving up on 2016, but it has now emerged it is splitting resources across this year and the next two.

Ferrari's engine improvements last year and into this year has been one of its strengths, however it has already used all but three of its development tokens in its push to catch Mercedes.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/125140/ferrari-already-working-on-2018-programme

So the traditional Summer "Ferrari changes focus to next year car" news is actually new this year. Ferrari is already focusing in 2018. So Vettel rumors about going to Mercedes will start when? September? Spring 2017? Can't wait for the "Hamilton-Vettel" swap rumors.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

Sigh, just because most people in here think Rosberg was in the wrong in Austria, doesn't mean they're all Hamilton fanboys or Rosberg haters. This kind of narrative is infantile.

kharma45

Sigh, just because most people in here think Rosberg was in the wrong in Austria, doesn't mean they're all Hamilton fanboys or Rosberg haters. This kind of narrative is infantile.

Yes I'm basing this all on the last race and not the last three seasons.

SIGH.

Grow up.

You can't keep these two in the same team for another season if you ever wish to have a united team again.

So fuck Rosberg in that case, since he probably didn't sign a new deal yet. Replace him and be done with it. I mean, it's not like he's going to be winning a WDC on his own quality of driving, anyways.

I honestly have no idea what Toto and his guys have to gain with keeping the pairing of Rosberg and Lewis.

Yes, Rosberg is "German" but the Germans barely give a shit about him compared to Vettel so there's no reason to believe Wehrlein won't be just -or more- marketable than Nico.

If the idea is that the team wants to have a clear no. 1 Driver (and in the Wehrlein case that would be Ham) than nope, Wehrlein is not even remotely as marketable as Ros.

John_B

Mercedes will sign Rosberg. Ricciardo and Verstappen are locked down with contracts. Vettel is not interested. Alonso would be too expensive if they have to release him from his current contract, and he would not exactly be an antidote to the current situation in the team. That leaves either Wehrlein or Bottas to replace Rosberg. Not exactly hot stuff if Hamilton leaves after his contract is up.

Mastah

Sauber F1 Team ‏@SauberF1Team 5m5 minutes ago

Silverstone: As we introduce the #C35 aero package at a later stage, testing in Silverstone is cancelled considering cost effectiveness

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

They did not know the solution. They could've just given him a new steering wheel but Mercedes didn't know what was causing the problem.

Mercedes will sign Rosberg. Ricciardo and Verstappen are locked down with contracts. Vettel is not interested. Alonso would be too expensive if they have to release him from his current contract, and he would not exactly be an antidote to the current situation in the team. That leaves either Wehrlein or Bottas to replace Rosberg. Not exactly hot stuff if Hamilton leaves after his contract is up.

They probably will, but if they don't and it's going to be another year before some top drivers are out of contract, they could do worse than putting Button in for 2017. World champ, worked with Hamilton and the team before, been driving a poor car for at least two seasons, so would jump at the chance to at least be competitive again, if not potentially win.

M52B28

Banned
I don't understand why they try and describe him as "super human" and other labels like that.

Having driven some cars to their limits on tracks and what not, it makes for perfect sense that he would be able to calculate so much visual stimuli in such a short amount of time. Over time, your body and mind will be able to adapt to the stresses.

When I first experienced what it was like to drive a car to its complete limits, I was scared to death. My heart was beating just as fast as it would have been if I were running and I was sweating. Pretty sure blood pressure was skyrocketing.

It also helps that these drivers are physically fit, as I am not in comparison to them.

Makes me wish that I were capable of such things.

Aiii

So not worth it
They did not know the solution. They could've just given him a new steering wheel but Mercedes didn't know what was causing the problem.

I'm very skeptical of this claim. Nico magically figured out the fix while Lewis couldn't? That seems more like a PR claim to hide the fact that Lewis simply didn't spend the time studying the steering wheel that Nico did.

But then again, I barely trust anything that Mercedes says regarding anything related to their drivers.

I don't understand why they try and describe him as "super human" and other labels like that.

I agree, I think you will see similar results elsewhere. I'm also curious what results "hardcore" gamers would get on tests like there. I notice in my daily life that my reaction speeds are well beyond what regular people have. When I drop shit I almost always either catch it or at the very least grace the object before it falls, for instance. I also notice when driving that anticipating other cars and reacting to sudden braking more quickly.

Of course, that could all be in my head, but I do think it's a matter of practice more than natural predisposition.

kharma45

WEH is too raw still for Mercedes and Bottas isn't as electric as he once was. I don't doubt we'll see ROS signing again.

Zaru

As much of a logistical nightmare this calendar is for the teams, I love having back-to-back races. Small downtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom