• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

DD

I'm very skeptical of this claim. Nico magically figured out the fix while Lewis couldn't? That seems more like a PR claim to hide the fact that Lewis simply didn't spend the time studying the steering wheel that Nico did.

But then again, I barely trust anything that Mercedes says regarding anything related to their drivers.

I agree, I think you will see similar results elsewhere. I'm also curious what results "hardcore" gamers would get on tests like there. I notice in my daily life that my reaction speeds are well beyond what regular people have. When I drop shit I almost always either catch it or at the very least grace the object before it falls, for instance. I also notice when driving that anticipating other cars and reacting to sudden braking more quickly.

Of course, that could all be in my head, but I do think it's a matter of practice more than natural predisposition.

It worked well for the GT Academy guys, it seems.

Juicy Bob

Statement on behalf of Niki Lauda

Following his appearance on a television discussion show on Servus TV recorded prior to last weekend's Austrian GP, Niki Lauda would like to set the record straight and state the following:

- Lewis Hamilton did not in any way damage a hotel room or his private driver room at the circuit during the race weekend in Baku; and

- Lewis Hamilton did not lie about his relationship with team-mate Nico Rosberg.

Niki regrets any misunderstanding caused by comments that have been blown wildly out of proportion compared with the casual context in which they were made.

PatjuhR

Why do people even talk to press anymore.

It's just all blabla coming out. You can fill in every interview beforehand and when you can't it will be rectified later.

Lauda shooting his mouth off? I don't believe you!

But there's a difference between running his mouth off right after an accident or a race and telling that Lewis trashed his room after the race in an interview.

At least I think there is. Why would he say that? Even mention that he came up to the door and all that?

Ark

But there's a difference between running his mouth off right after an accident or a race and telling that Lewis trashed his room after the race in an interview.

At least I think there is. Why would he say that? Even mention that he came up to the door and all that?

No idea. I find it strange that Lauda seems to have gone from being strongly on Lewis's side to now being in love with Nico.

My phone autocorrects Nico to Nicole. How hilariously relevant.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm very skeptical of this claim. Nico magically figured out the fix while Lewis couldn't? That seems more like a PR claim to hide the fact that Lewis simply didn't spend the time studying the steering wheel that Nico did.

But then again, I barely trust anything that Mercedes says regarding anything related to their drivers.

How very relevant this quote now becomes.

Everyone that's ever seen how Lewis behaves or follows his IG knows that what Lauda says is completely what you'd expect a frustrated Lewis to act like. PR bs.

DD

My God, Mercedes is so effing boring...
I mean, one could hate Ferrari in it's dominance years, but Merc is so zzzzzzzzzzz...

Zaru

I mean, one could hate Ferrari in it's dominance years, but Merc is so zzzzzzzzzzz...

It's why I can't feel any sympathy for Mercedes and always cheer when they fuck up or have internal drama.
I didn't feel that way about Ferrari during the early 00s or Red Bull during the early 10s (although I didn't watch much F1 during Vettel's years for reasons unrelated to him), neither of which had such a long dominance streak.

Which means, for some reason, teams which had clear #2 drivers and team orders were more likeable. And that's despite two fellow countrymen (Wolff and Lauda) being the prominent head honchos in the media.

DD

It's why I can't feel any sympathy for Mercedes and always cheer when they fuck up or have internal drama.
I didn't feel that way about Ferrari during the early 00s or Red Bull during the early 10s (although I didn't watch much F1 during Vettel's years for reasons unrelated to him), neither of which had such a long dominance streak.

Which means, for some reason, teams which had clear #2 drivers and team orders were more likeable. And that's despite two fellow countrymen (Wolff and Lauda) being the prominent head honchos in the media.

It's almost like watching Kraftwerk, lol.

Juicy Bob

Mercedes dominance is absolutely nothing like Ferrari's.

For one thing, Mercedes actually allow their two guys to race and they should get credit for that. Also, Hamilton and Rosberg are far closer together in terms of performance than Schumacher and Barrichello ever was. It's not just Hamilton winning everything, by any means.

Also, Toto Wolff makes a massive effort with the media and has a good personality. Jean Todt was a miserable, arrogant git who never communicated with the media on camera.

Mercedes don't exploit their political power anywhere near as much as Ferrari used to either. Compared to Ferrari during the Schumacher years, Mercedes are infinitely more likeable, without any question.

DD

Mercedes dominance is absolutely nothing like Ferrari's.

For one thing, Mercedes actually allow their two guys to race and they should get credit for that. Also, Hamilton and Rosberg are far closer together in terms of performance than Schumacher and Barrichello ever was. It's not just Hamilton winning everything, by any means.

Also, Toto Wolff makes a massive effort with the media and has a good personality. Jean Todt was a miserable, arrogant git who never communicated with the media on camera.

Mercedes don't exploit their political power anywhere near as much as Ferrari used to either. Compared to Ferrari during the Schumacher years, Mercedes are infinitely more likeable, without any question.

No, no, I don't mean that Ferrari was more likable than Mercedes, my God, no. It's the opposite, actually. What I mean is that Ferrari had McLaren on their butts, sometimes a Renault or Williams, and they were really "dislikable" You could always root against them. But Mercedes, they're just... there.

They only manage to pick our interest when their drivers crash at each other. They're just boring, kind of robotic. Not that having nº 1 and nº 2 drivers makes things more interesting, far from that. This is actually the only interesting thing about them. The only really "dislakable" thing about them is Hamilton's personality, and Rosberg is the face of the team, just as boring.

Mastah

"Debris" it is:

Cmr0awlWIAA1NAS.jpg:large

Fox Mulder

Mercedes dominance is boring because they're so perfect and have no real competition.

They generate buzz when they have fuck ups and the races are exciting when someone else wins. It's not all their fault the other teams suck and the formula is boring though.

Ark

Iirc Brawn left because he didnt want to split the management style of the team. Toto and Paddy Lowe run the show from two halves; Brawn wanted to retain control over all of it.

I also don't think his blood pressure/heart problem would be doing too great right now if he had to deal with Lewis & Nico's antics on a bi-weekly basis.

I actually think Brawn would've clamped down on Nico and Lewis a lot better than Toto and Nikki, but who knows really. He's probably be one Barcelona away from a heart attack at this point.
tumblr_moxfswPSyC1r986t6o1_400.gif

tomtom94

With the notable exception of getting the engine rules changed.

DBT85

lol.

anx10us

Banned
Need some US GAF help, i'm in Palo Alto from Saturday, I want to try and watch the race live, any idea if I can watch it on TV ?

Basically what channel(s) is the race on ? are they the sort of channels usually available in Hotels or are they pay channels ?

The other option is to find a bar/pub etc that shows the race live, by my reckoning its a 6:00am start ? Any chance anywhere would be open for breakfast and the race ?

We have a car, so Palo Alto / San Jose area would work ..

Thanks

Zeknurn

That's cool. I look forwarding to seeing what he can do in open wheel racing.

With Sainz staying at Toro Rosso and Buemi most likely staying with Edams, do you think Red Bull has offered Vergne to Renault as well?

Zeknurn

Ehm...

vergne-12695888_10208532781585394_1441111478_n.jpg

Superb news about Lopez, I'm quite excited to see what he can show in FE.

Oh hey, I completely forgot about that.

edit: And here's where he will be driving

JEAN-ERIC VERGNE AND MA QING HUA CONFIRMED AS DRIVERS
One of China’s leading sports marketing and management companies SECA has confirmed its entry into the 2016/17 FIA Formula E Championship.

The outfit will compete as the Techeetah Formula E Team, taking over Team Aguri’s entry as one of the ten teams participating in Formula E’s third season. The Chinese-backed Techeetah team will also have a minority French partner, and a driving partnership of former Andretti and DS Virgin Racing driver Jean-Eric Vergne and Team Aguri’s Ma Qing Hua.

Sheng Li, founder and CEO of SECA, said: “Racing in Formula E opens up marketing, R&D and fan engagement possibilities for global and Chinese brands. Techeetah Formula E Team is a global team with unique access to Chinese and European fans through our two star drivers next year.”

“Formula E is very happy to welcome the new Team Techeetah, backed by SECA, to our Championship. China is one of the big priorities of this Championship,” said Alejandro Agag, CEO of Formula E Holdings. “Our first race ever took place in Beijing, and the country is doing great efforts towards electrification of mobility. We will work together with SECA and our Chinese partners to expand Formula E in China, and reach out to millions of potential new fans.”

http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/july/seca-secure-fia-formula-e-championship-entry/

tomtom94

Interesting. Vergne reminded me of mid-2000s Jarno Trulli this season, always quick in qualifying but always had at least three cars behind him at any given moment. I wonder what he will do next, I presume some team will snatch him up.

Aiii

So not worth it
Code:
Driver		ICE	TC	MGU-H	MGU-K	ES	CE
44. Hamilton	3	[B]5	5[/B]	3	3	3
6. Rosberg	3	3	3	2	2	2
5. Vettel	4	3	3	3	2	3
7. Raikkonen	3	3	3	3	2	3
19. Massa	2	2	2	2	2	2
77. Bottas	2	2	2	2	2	2
3. Ricciardo	3	3	3	3	2	2
33. Verstappen	2	2	2	2	2	[B]5[/B]
27. Hülkenberg	2	2	2	2	2	2
11. Perez	2	2	2	2	2	2
20. Magnussen	3	3	3	3	2	3
30. Palmer	2	2	2	2	3	3
26. Kvyat	3	3	3	2	2	2
55. Sainz	3	3	3	2	2	2
9. Ericsson	4	3	2	2	2	2
12. Nasr	3	2	3	2	2	2
14. Alonso	3	3	3	3	3	3
22. Button	4	4	4	4	2	2
94. Wehrlein	2	2	2	2	2	2
88. Haryanto	3	3	3	3	2	2
8. Grosjean	2	2	2	3	2	2
21. Gutierrez	2	2	2	2	2	3

Zaru

We'll probably see Hamilton get a penalty by September at this rate...
and how is Verstappen's car on its 5th set of control electronics? Is that Kvyat's fault?

Zeknurn

@adamcooperF1
After meetings today @MercedesAMGF1 says drivers still free to race but 'rules of engagement strengthened'
@adamcooperF1
Merc reminded HAM and ROS that they have a duty to 'respect the values of the team.' Team orders could come if they don't follow rules

I'm sure a stern talking will work this time.

SilentRob

Huge probs to Mercedes and all of the people responsible. They are doing this for the sport, not because it's the best for their team - I don't think anybody could argue they wouldn't get more points more consistently if they started using Team Orders like everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom