• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Lewis will start race or two from the pits for sure, because he will need 6th and maybe even 7th engine. But Nico can also experience gremlins...

Manor guys are certain that Wehrlein would overtake Bottas,but being lapped by both Mercedes cars put them back and they were fortunate with Perez DNF

John_B

There will be many car issues and mistakes made. It looks like a very long and exhausting season for Hamilton and Rosberg. Hamilton so far has the worst reliability of anyone in the field. It's a clear handicap, but they can be smart about the penalties, it's the DNFs that he has to avoid.

This season is great fun so far. We just need some wins for Vettel and Ricciardo. A win for Raikkonen would be amazing.

CrayToes

I was rooting for Rosberg until today. What an unbelievably immature and dangerous move to pull. Can't believe some are actually defending him.

Par Score

Good to see that justice was done. Rosberg gets the official blame, and he'd already penalised himself to the point that another place or not is no biggy.

Zaru

Just woke up, saw the result. How did Ricciardo finish so much lower than Verstappen?

Verstappen brought the tyres to the end, Ricciardo needed another stop for ultras. Maybe a split strategy, otherwise Riccy just wasn't on it today.

Aiii

So not worth it
Verstappen brought the tyres to the end, Ricciardo needed another stop for ultras. Maybe a split strategy, otherwise Riccy just wasn't on it today.

RIC was almost consistently .3s off of VES' pace for 20 laps after the SC, but VES was faster during much of the race except for the end when RIC put on fresh US: http://en.mclarenf-1.com/index.php?page=chart&gp=964&graf=3&dr1=Max Verstappen&dr2=Daniel Ricciardo

So far Verstappen has been either on pace or faster than RIC in every race, mostly because he is quicker on old tires.

No, VES was also supposed to be on a two stop, according to Horner. His pace was good enough so they kept him out to secure the podium.

NHale

So is there anything on the rulebook that says what penalty should a driver get for Action A or Action B, or is the stewards decision to decide whichever happens when someone causes a collision? Because the 10 second penalty is no penalty whatsoever and surely if it was Hamilton that ended damaged and not Nico, the penalty would be more severe unless there is indeed strict penalty guidelines and this is a moot point.

So far Verstappen has been either on pace or faster than RIC in every race, mostly because he is quicker on old tires.

Except for Monte Carlo, the only thing Verstappen was doing faster than Ricciardo was crashing into the barriers.

NHale

Pretty sure Verstappen was faster (and carving up the field nicely too) until he, as you quite correctly say... binned it.

Looking at the lap charts of the race, Ricciardo looks like the faster driver but of course he was driving his own race while Max was handling the traffic which destroys the comparison, also the fact that Max stopped for inters sooner than Ricciardo doesn't help to see any trend. During the weekend Ricciardo was always the faster driver but who cares about practice? So Aii has a point about him being at least on pace despite a little slower than Ricciardo on that weekend.

Elros

While there's some Ferrari component to it, what did Ferrari really do to burst a tyre into pieces? That's on Pirelli.
The only thing Ferrari could have done is pit Vettel when they realized that Rosberg was closing on him at 1.5 / 2sec per lap.

ramparter

Banned
Most people defending Ros (not here, Youtube, twitter etc), used the argument "Lewis does it all the time" so yeah its pretty much admitting it was his fault.

Staab

Rosberg's move was pretty dickish, he totally ran him off.
The one thing I'm not okay with though is Lewis continuing full steam ahead while outside the track limits, running dangerously unto the grass and then cutting across Nico.
Yes Nico didn't leave him room and ran him off, but I feel like the stewards should've given Lewis a penalty for that as well.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Buemi and DiGrassi are accusing each other today like crazy. Buemi said that he has zero respect for lying DiGrassi. Brazilian is saying that Buemi braked way too early to block him...

The only thing Ferrari could have done is pit Vettel when they realized that Rosberg was closing on him at 1.5 / 2sec per lap.

Seb could be easily 4th if they pitted him when Mercedes drivers started to close the gap. But they probably expected rain and tried to make his stint as long as possible, but the risk did not payed off.

Aiii

So not worth it
So, Helmut Marko had an interesting remark in an interview with a Dutch person.

The boss of Red Bull's young talent program thought this result was worth a celebration, "I'm gonna drink a good glass of White Wine on this one. And maybe even a Heineken beforehand.

So yeah that deal's done.

The one thing I'm not okay with though is Lewis continuing full steam ahead while outside the track limits, running dangerously unto the grass and then cutting across Nico.
Yes Nico didn't leave him room and ran him off, but I feel like the stewards should've given Lewis a penalty for that as well.

In the usual move where drivers run the other to the outside of the track on corner exit, the following driver usually backs off to come in behind the driver in front. But I don't think it's worth penalising him for it. He eventually reached the grass and was forced to check his speed.

acm2000

oh come on, nico deliberately didnt turn into the corner and then deliberately stayed out as far as humanly possible in the hope lewis would spin out on the grass

nico tried a schumacher, and failed

Ark

Nico's overly aggressive defending once again bit him in the ass. He is still significantly outmatched by Hamilton when it comes to action on the track.

For Nico's sake, I hope he doesn't win this Championship because Lewis has reliability issues.

Jezbollah

The more I look at it, the more I think Hamilton was never attempting to overtake at turn 2 - I think he was going to go in on the outside and cut back in for a passing attempt at turn 3 (which wouldn't have worked as Perez had planted himself into the scenery, bringing out yellows).

Just shows again that Nico gets too rattled to easily to be able to win these fights.

Aiii

So not worth it
Yesterday's Max Verstappen section:
03072016-AUT-3114-163c.jpg

02072016-AUT-2074-26b.jpg

Not sure why that one guy is naked.

Buemi and DiGrassi are accusing each other today like crazy. Buemi said that he has zero respect for lying DiGrassi. Brazilian is saying that Buemi braked way too early to block him...

Seb could be easily 4th if they pitted him when Mercedes drivers started to close the gap. But they probably expected rain and tried to make his stint as long as possible, but the risk did not payed off.
I held Lucas DiGrassi as a fair and sporting driver, but that changed yesterday, guy let me down and tainted this Formula-e championship

DD

I held Lucas DiGrassi as a fair and sporting driver, but that changed yesterday, guy let me down and tainted this Formula-e championship

I don't think he did that on purpose. He even pushed the wheel a little to the left to avoid Buemi, but Prost was there boxing him in such a tight track, so he had no options. Not that it wasn't his fault, mind you, but I don't think he did that on purpose.

I don't think he did that on purpose. He even pushed the wheel a little to the left to avoid Buemi, but Prost was there boxing him in such a tight track, so he had no options. Not that it wasn't his fault, mind you, but I don't think he did that on purpose.
For sure, it just seems so out of place considering the fantastic race that took place on saturday, I guess you have to be in that position, to be fighting for a title to know...

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Buemi was definitely on the brakes way early. He was coasting when DiGrassi hit him. Whoever you want to blame, it was a total shit show.

The more I look at it, the more I think Hamilton was never attempting to overtake at turn 2 - I think he was going to go in on the outside and cut back in for a passing attempt at turn 3 (which wouldn't have worked as Perez had planted himself into the scenery, bringing out yellows).

Just shows again that Nico gets too rattled to easily to be able to win these fights.

I concur. I think Lewis' plan was to carry a lot of speed through the corner but not pass there, maybe an over/under, he gave him a ton of space. Nico just panicked.

I dunno if Rosberg actually wanted to force Hamilton to go off track so he'd have to give the place back if he passed him. As for how he should have defended, just watch how Verstappen defended against Rosberg just a few laps earlier. Unbelievable that Rosberg tries to defend this shit.

That official video is actually pretty awesome and it's neat that this sort of data can be compiled. He went out so wide that both versions of themselves from Lap 70 could have passed cleanly inside how deep Nico went. Totally tyres and brakes versus 1 brake zone ago, though. I'm still that convinced Lewis was more keen on setting up for an easier pass at turn 3 which is one reason he went out so wide on his own even before getting hit. Behold!
What would a Red Bull Heineken mix even taste like...
Can't fathom! Also, it'd be illegal in the US, so whatever for me.

That official video is actually pretty awesome and it's neat that this sort of data can be compiled. He went out so wide that both versions of themselves from Lap 70 could have passed cleanly inside how deep Nico went. Totally tyres and brakes versus 1 brake zone ago, though. I'm still that convinced Lewis was more keen on setting up for an easier pass at turn 3 which is one reason he went out so wide on his own even before getting hit. Behold!

Can't fathom! Also, it'd be illegal in the US, so whatever for me.

That's a pretty great graphic there. I was watching it with my girlfriend and all she said was "Why did he (Rosberg) hit him?". At first I thought it was Hamilton because of the angle the camera was on, but replays clearly show Rosberg being an ass. I've given myself the opinion that Rosberg has steeled his composure against other racers in the recent year but completely loses his shit when Hamilton is in his mirrors. Hamilton was going to overtake him in that final lap and Rosberg knew it.

DBT85

That official video is actually pretty awesome and it's neat that this sort of data can be compiled. He went out so wide that both versions of themselves from Lap 70 could have passed cleanly inside how deep Nico went. Totally tyres and brakes versus 1 brake zone ago, though. I'm still that convinced Lewis was more keen on setting up for an easier pass at turn 3 which is one reason he went out so wide on his own even before getting hit. Behold!.

I think Lewis may have just realised that Nico is getting punchier so left him all the room in the world to make the turn.

The problem for Nico is that Blessed, Jesus and Nando are all utterly ruthless drivers. Nico isn't. He's trying to be ruthless and in doing so is making bad choices when it comes to dogfights with Lewis. I think he's been fortunate that Lewis has had so many technical problems this year as its meant they've not been that close on track that often, so his new attitude hasn't cost him as much as it might have.

Mastah

Christian Nimmervoll ‏@MST_ChristianN 1h1 hour ago

#NikiLauda confirms that @LewisHamilton was so angry in baku he destroyed his driver room in the @MercedesAMGF1 hospitality unit.

#Lauda confirms @LewisHamilton has to pay for damage himself. story about respect for @nico_rosberg higher than ever after pool talks...

... is a "lie", says #Lauda in @ServusTV show. more info and quotes at http://www.formel1.de/news/news/201...dium=cpc&utm_campaign=fbf1de-m-/nc/100865/_-_

#Lauda was "forced" to confirm Baku incident during @ServusTV show after swiss journo @roger_benoit brought it up. guess PR team unhappy ;-)

#Lauda also says stories about Monaco swimmingpool peace between @LewisHamilton and @nico_rosberg after Baku were "just show".

#Lauda says about @LewisHamilton quote that peace was back post baku: "He has lied about that. Getting worse every time Rosberg is winning."

#Lauda about driver room incident on @ServusTV: "Lewis told me not to come in because he will now destroy everything."

lol

Aiii

So not worth it
Lewis throwing hissy fits and Rosberg just playing bumper cars whenever they meet on-track.

I just don't understand how they imagine these two drivers remaining in the same team next year. Why would you even consider signing Rosberg to a new deal? Sure, he's a good driver, sure he might become WDC despite himself this year, but why would you want these two to continue on?

I mean, as long as Mercedes is dominant it doesn't matter if they occasionally clash and lose points since there's no threat to their championship anyways, but if that dominance ends next seasons or beyond that? Those are some expensive points to be lost.

Just get rid of Rosberg and put a clear 2nd driver in that seat, restore some peace to the team. If they re-sign Rosberg, Toto just proves what a complete ditz of a team manager he really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom