• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stewards are calculating the EXACT dimensions and volume capacity of their pockets, so as to not look suspicious when walking out of the FIA offices with trousers stuffed with cash.

No wonder its taking so long.

I'm assuming that Sky Italia report should be interpreted as 'no penalty yet' then..

Would be happy to see these rules sorted out. The banning of pit board messages is ducking Daffy.

frontieruk

Uh the downshift comment was to avoid the problem. There's no performance gain in skipping 7th gear.

Fuck it, I'm tired of rationalizing F1 rules.

Did the teams have any say in these rules?

But it's driving coaching, which is against the rules, if the pit wall hadn't responded they'd be fine, but in their haste to get Rosberg running to keep ahead of Ves they made a mistake and coached him by confirming he had to skip the gear. Shitty I know.

Juicy Bob

I mean, isn't the fact that we're having a complex discussion about the merits of what an engineer may or may not have said and analysing the use of specific language and the implied intent and that this discussion will decide whether or not a driver keeps a podium position in a grand prix not strike anyone else as being completely, utter ridiculous?

But it's driving coaching, which is against the rules, if the pit wall hadn't responded they'd be fine, but in their haste to get Rosberg running to keep ahead of Ves they made a mistake and coached him by confirming he had to skip the gear. Shitty I know.

I don't see how it's coaching if the intent is to do something abnormal that a) avoids a car failure and b) reduces performance.

Guess it depends on what they consider "coaching".

But it's shitty for all the other teams who had similar situations.

They're taking their time to figure out how this set a precedent, but if they're taking this long clearly it's not as clear cut.

I mean, isn't the fact that we're having a complex discussion about the merits of what an engineer may or may not have said and analysing the use of specific language and the implied intent and that this discussion will decide whether or not a driver keeps a podium position in a grand prix not strike anyone else as being completely, utter ridiculous?

Yes but F1 has become the WWE of motorsports.

frontieruk

Slightly but it's clear cut, the stewards know it and are aware of the stink that arise if they don't punish it

Radio message one:
Rosberg: "Gearbox problem, gearbox problem."

Engineer: "Chassis default, zero one."

All the above is fine they are saving the engine and had been agreed with race control

Radio message two:
Engineer:: "Avoid seventh gear, Nico, avoid seventh gear."

Rosberg: "What does that mean? I need to shift through it?"

Engineer: "Affirm, you need to shift through it. Affirm, you just need to shift through it."

That's advice on how to drive the car, which under current rules isn't allowed, the intent of the rule was to allow driver skill determine how well they did. What happened was advice how to avoid the issue was provided, when previously drivers have had real issues such as brakes not able to be advised on. It's a mess by some shitty rules but if telling your driver to miss a gear to keep going at a good pace isn't coaching and gaining an advantage over the driver having to work it out himself I don't know what is.

John_B

When a driver went into a wall because a room full of engineers was not allowed to tell him there was a probability that his brakes would fail was the point everyone should have given a damn.

I hope for a DSQ so that the FIA can be torn apart by negative reactions.

Rosberg gets 10-second penalty - drops to third
horse.gif

SilentRob

Wow. 10 seconds is nothing.

The utter disconnect some seem to have with this sport and how certain things get punished never ceases to amaze me.

A 10 second penalty is one of the harshest penalties in the rule book. Do you actually think a DQ would be appropiate here, as some have already stated?

EDIT: Also, how is this "nothing"? I mean, what. He looses a position because of it, he loses three points in an incredibly tight fight for the championship. It hurts him a lot. Why would he be punished more harshly?

Aiii

So not worth it
Yay for VES, once again capitalizing on Merc fuck-ups.

Should have been 30 seconds, to make sure people wouldn't take the loss if their lead was significant enough

olore

Yeah, this really is a huge ´yes but no but maybe´. FIA really are Baku´d by they own actions. This is just something to show that they are doing... something

Lewis leads the championship now? Haven´t done the numbers

chadskin

Good decision.

Yeah, this really is a huge ´yes but no but maybe´. FIA really are Baku´d by they own actions. This is just something to show that they are doing... something

Rosberg leads by one point now I believe.

Trailing by 1, but he will have to take an engine penalty at Spa or Monza.

SilentRob

Which is even worse now. Everyone will claim the imminent failure defense, and provide coaching so as long as the benefit exceeds 10 seconds :)

You can't "claim" something regarding technical problems in F1. There is data that will either prove you right or wrong when looked at by the Stewards.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Taking the penalty is a good option if the alternative is a DNF, but I'd rather they get rid of the rule.

Lach

I think the rule as it is now is stupid, but I feel they clearly violated it.

Between Perez losing out on the last lap because of the rule and this penalty, the penalty is the better option.

Edit: while I think the rule as it is defined now is stupid, making it less strict will open it to missuse and I think the only option will be not to have any restrictions at all

NewDust

I don't like driver coaching, but I rather have more cars at the finish than less. So despite me not liking the rule, this seems like a fair penalty. 10 seconds is harsh, though some seem to disagree, but not as harsh for teams to leave out drivers in dangerous situations (Perez) or having to retire the car.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Oh and Williams failed to get a fastest pit stop award for the first time in this season. Mercedes was faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom