• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Were any actually unsafe? Can't recall anyone having to swerve or hit the brakes, didn't hear any grumbles on the team radios about it. They may have been very close but that doesn't imply unsafe.

Looked pretty chaotic. Normally they are overzealous when it comes to the pitlane. No investigation.

No radio just means it wasn't broadcasted. Probably not even 10% of all communications are broadcasted.

Basically this.

And how is this hurting racing if the engineer basically just repeats what the driver basically already know? If the TV director wouldn't have broadcast every little trivial radio message, we wouldn't have that problem. Coaching wasn't a new thing but was reality even when F1 was pure and only about true racing!

Par Score

This I find it very difficult to see how they could penalise anyone in the future for radio messages if their isn't some kind of penalty for this, especially when teams have been told no to sending messages in past races.

However this rule is total nonsense and needs to be rid of.

Oh, absolutely. It's a garbage rule, but it's still a rule.

John_B

This ruling will set a precedence and the teams will take the penalty into their future considerations of guiding drivers in these circumstances.

And how is this hurting racing if the engineer basically just repeats what the driver basically already know? If the TV director wouldn't have broadcast every little trivial radio message, we wouldn't have that problem. Coaching wasn't a new thing but was reality even when F1 was pure and only about true racing!

How does an engineer telling a driver the best brake bias, differential, driving line and all that, not affect racing?

If the driver already knew, he would've had those settings dialled in already.....they tell them, because they obviously do not know.

Previous seasons had drivers literally come on radio and literally ask "where is the time"?

NewDust

We clearly have different points of view. To me, how to manage a car (and race) during racing is part of a driver's skill set and not just drive as fast as you can. So from my point of view a part of skills is negated by coaching and thus hurts racing. Yes driver coaching was always part of F1, but since introduction of the hybrid it has gone through the roof.

d9sCLqP.jpg

RSP

Nah, that's a closed door meeting. NBC Sports post-race show mentioned the time of Rosberg's hearing because it meant that there would definitely be no decision until after they went off the air.

Ah, ok. Curious to see how long they will take to come to a decision.

John_B

Awesome stuff with Hamilton surfing the crowd. Mercedes must have sold a ton of those colored Hamilton caps. The teal one and the blue Union Jack one are nice looking.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Will be legitimately upset if Rosberg's position is changed. He earned the spot just fine and radio messages regarding "hey, do this so you don't have to retire the car this instant" damn well should be permitted.

After telling Lewis nothing in Baku (which sorted itself out?) and even that not appeasing the FIA, I do wonder what'll happen here. This radio crap needs to be sorted ASAP. Trying to block stuff that's critical to the function of the car is preposterous.

The not thing I can think is that the team in Baku didn't tell Lewis anything because they were unsure what they could that incident may have caused them to seek clarification or look into it more - giving them the confidence that they could give these messages.

Or they figure a 5 second penalty giving Rosberg 3rd is better than a retirement.

I don't see how they can't use the 'prevented a retirement' argument - surely any issue with the car can be argued could have led eventually to a failure. And failure isn't a safety issue - they should box and retire the car if that is the case.

Also, the pit clearly confirmed he should shift past 7th gear - that is clearly 'driver instruction' and nothing to do with safety.

The not thing I can think is that the team in Baku didn't tell Lewis anything because they were unsure what they could that incident may have caused them to seek clarification or look into it more - giving them the confidence that they could give these messages.

Or they figure a 5 second penalty giving Rosberg 3rd is better than a retirement.

I don't see how they can't use the 'prevented a retirement' argument - surely any issue with the car can be argued could have led eventually to a failure. And failure isn't a safety issue - they should box and retire the car if that is the case.

Also, the pit clearly confirmed he should shift past 7th gear - that is clearly 'driver instruction' and nothing to do with safety.

That's why, if punishment is minimal, this rule is pretty much toast. Everyone will be using the same defense going forward.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That's why, if punishment is minimal, this rule is pretty much toast. Everyone will be using the same defense going forward.

I think so. I agree with an earlier poster that technical things like this should be allowed, but not tyre temps, braking info etc. Driver shouldn't be expected to be technical support on his own car.

The ruling needs to be a Dq. Something like a 10s penalty means nothing if you have a 30s gap while in front.

They coached him enough that he was able to fend of verstappen who gained 3s in less than half a lap due to issues.

16:45
Toto Wolff, armed with a copy of the FIA Regulations in his media briefing, has suggested that if Mercedes are guilty of breaking the rules - so are Red Bull.

"They told Verstappen about the stewards' investigation before it was official," he said. "Is that against the rules, too?"

No Toto, the allowed messages list includes:

* Driving breaches by team driver or competitors, e.g. missing chicanes, running off track, time penalty will be applied etc.

You have the damn book in your hands ffs.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sure after all the kerfuffle with Hamilton trying to get his car's technical problems fixed, the FIA are baku'd into a corner?

Juicy Bob

My prediction based on nothing: Rosberg will not be penalised, the FIA will eventually drop the rule because they realise how fucking stupid it all is.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The question is, do we believe that the FIA are a credible, consistent and sensible organisation?

Of course not, but I wanted the opportunity to shoehorn in that pun :p

My prediction based on nothing: Rosberg will not be penalised, the FIA will eventually drop the rule because they realise how fucking stupid it all is.

But then the right thing to do would be to penalise him and *then* drop it because it's stupid. Otherwise you're potentially telling the teams to push against the rules if they want to

DieH@rd

Banned
Sure after all the kerfuffle with Hamilton trying to get his car's technical problems fixed, the FIA are baku'd into a corner?

Hamilton had non-critical issue. His car was a bit slower because of the wrong mode of the battery system.

Rosberg had a critical gearbox issue that could stop him immediately if he did not react quickly. The acknowledgement of the double shifting was part of the solution make his gearbox not explode.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hamilton had non-critical issue. His car was a bit slower because of the wrong mode of the battery system.

Rosberg had a critical gearbox issue that could stop him immediately if he did not react quickly. The acknowledgement of the double shifting was part of the solution make his gearbox not explode.

Meh. If the pit lane thinks you have a potentially terminal problem then retire the car - seen that happen plenty of times this season. I don't see where a car failure is safety related?

dalin80

Banned

Which is fine, the team can inform the driver freely that they have a failure, they just can't tell him how to get around it. The rulebook really doesn't care one way or the other if someone retires or not as long as they do it in a way that doesn't break any other rules.

chadskin

An update now from Sky Sports News HQ's Craig Slater from the Silverstone paddock.

"It's a slightly grey area.

"Teams are allowed to tell the driver to make alterations to avoid a critical failure with the car.

"However, if you listen carefully to what was actually said, in addition to the new mode he was advised of he was also advised to downshift through the problem. That could be construed as a driver aid, or instruction, which would perhaps fall foul of the rules.

"The situation is that Rosberg went in to see the stewards, he was in there for about half an hour. Subsequently, Mercedes team manager Ron Meadows and chief engineer Andrew Shovlin have also gone in to see the stewards.

"I'm getting mixed messages. Mercedes have been telling me we'll get quite a speedy resolution to this, but sources in the FIA are advising me that as this is potentially the first time a driver will fall foul of these regulations, because they are setting a precedent, the stewards are taking their time over their deliberations.

"So it could take a couple of hours for a decision."
http://www.skysports.com/f1/grandprix/great-britain/live-blog

hadareud

The Translator
From my perspective, I think telling him to switch a setting and to tell him to avoid a gear is perfectly fine if it avoids the car breaking down.

If he can't work out for himself how to avoid using that gear he must go fuck himself, however. That particular message was definite coaching imo.

Has to be a penalty or else they have to get rid of the rules altogether.

frontieruk

From my perspective, I think telling him to switch a setting and to tell him to avoid a gear is perfectly fine if it avoids the car breaking down.

If he can't work out for himself how to avoid using that gear he must go fuck himself, however. That particular message was definite coaching imo.

Has to be a penalty or else they have to get rid of the rules altogether.

Agreed, I think the stewards know this as well, I think the they are trying to work out how hardly to punish, seeing as the front runners can often be 10secs I infront of the closest rival it might not really be a deterrent, but a DQ could be seen as Brits giving the British contender a hand...

John_B

There has to be a penalty. Force India was straight up denied by race control to warn Perez about his brakes. The brakes failed and he went into a wall. The FIA came out before this race and said the rules were not going to change and in fact they would now be more strict with enforcing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom