• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris R

Just finished the race. VERY disappointed they didn't just let the cars drive away without the safety car. The rain had stopped, let the very best drivers in the world prove they deserve that title. If a standing start was deemed unsafe then do a single lap with the SC.

They should just ban car to pit radio completely.

Have an open and uncensored channel for the drivers so we get some in race entertainment. I'd comeback and watch this shitshow if that happened.

Because you disagree with the decision that everyone here seems to think is right? Or because you don't think it's harsh enough?

I disagree with the decision, I don't see how drivers can drive unaided such complex cars in the event of a failure. The rule is dumb, and I guess it validates the decision.

But the rule will have to be clarified either way or else teams will try to take advantage of it.

kmag

So if they had simply said "the issue is with 7th gear" and gave no instruction about skipping it they'd be fine, even though there would be a clear inference from that message not to use the broken gear.

What a fucking shambles this sport is.

hadareud

The Translator
Like I said earlier, after they told him to change the setting and that 7th gear couldn't be used, Rosberg had all the necessary information to avoid the issue. Surely at that point he could work out for himself that he had to shift through it.

In fact, he did work it out.

Can't see what's wrong with the rules if they require drivers to do a bit of thinking for themselves while still giving them all the necessary information to make an informed choice.

frontieruk

Like I said earlier, after they told him to change the setting and that 7th gear couldn't be used, Rosberg had all the necessary information to avoid the issue. Surely at that point he could work out for himself that he had to shift through it.

In fact, he did work it out.

Can't see what's wrong with the rules if they require drivers to do a bit of thinking for themselves while still giving them all the necessary information to make an informed choice.

Re-read your post I agree, it was the pits fault issuing the confirmation to Rosberg query.

Many thanks

Aiii

So not worth it
So out of the last six races RBR have gotten four podiums, one being a win, the rest second places, also three fourth places. RIC managed 64 points, VES 77 for a total of 141 constructors points.

FER got three second places and two third places since then, 63 points for RAI and 65 for VET, for a total of 128 constructors points.

Those four and those teams are gonna have one hell of a battle over that best of the rest position this year, that's gonna a be really close!

Also sorta redeems the perception of Raikkonen, looking at those stats.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Uh the downshift comment was to avoid the problem. There's no performance gain in skipping 7th gear.

Fuck it, I'm tired of rationalizing F1 rules.

Did the teams have any say in these rules?

"Don't use 7th gear" - maybe prevents damage to the car (I still think that shouldn't matter - you want to protect the car, retire it)

"How do I avoid 7th gear, do I have to shift past it?" "Affirmative" - that sounds like coaching to me. I don't know why he even has to ask that - isn't that a really basic thing for a driver?

muteki

Hard for me to understand how difficult the outcome would have been had the question not been answered. Shifting through just seems high on the list of things to try when troubleshooting on the fly. Staying in 6 or below would have a much larger impact but can't see someone doing that in reality, shifting through just seems obvious to me, but what do I know.

Verstappen.jpg

Lego Boss

It's difficult to have sympathy with Lolberg after #blessed wasn't given direct instruction in Azerbaijan.

It simply can't be one rule for one and another for someone else, even if the rule is FUBAR

John_B

The rule is stupid for blocking information such a failing brakes. To be fair a team can tell the driver that his brakes has already failed, like so: Checo, are you okay? Your brakes failed and you crashed into a wall.

How completely artifical does it sound when some of the smartest people of motor sports has to radio their driver with a message like this: we understand the issue completely but we're not allowed to help you, sorry.

Zaru

It's difficult to have sympathy with Lolberg after #blessed wasn't given direct instruction in Azerbaijan.

1. Lauda said Rosberg had the same problem and fixed it faster and without any juicy radio messages that we're aware of. So Hamilton should have been able to do the same in a similar fashion.

2. Hamilton's settings in Baku didn't have much impact on his times, his fiddling around with the wheel, however, did (so they told him to just keep driving)

3. Hamilton's finish in the upper points, let alone finishing the race, was not under threat by that wrong setting - which afaik was not a defect/problem

Doesn't seem comparable.

FuturusX

1. Lauda said Rosberg had the same problem and fixed it faster and without any juicy radio messages that we're aware of. So Hamilton should have been able to do the same in a similar fashion.

This assumes that Rosberg fixed the issue without a huge dose of luck. You can't make that assumption so that point is pretty invalid.

I feel like this is the turning point of the season. I don't think Nico has the mental game to turn this around. When everything goes his way, Nico can put in great drives, but he doesn't have the raw pace Lewis can summon when he wants. I don't expect another Nico win this season, baring a Lewis retirement. I do think Max has one more win in him though.

tomtom94

This is untrue, IIRC. Rosberg developed the problem when he changed something, Hamilton's issue developed without changing anything, making it harder for Hamilton to discern what had gone wrong.

John_B

Rosberg quickly fixed the issue because he simply reverted back to settings that had worked for him. Hamilton had the issue from the very start and no settings to revert back to.
Toto Wolff said:
“Nico was actually quite fortunate as he had already made a switch change before the problem that led him on the right path when the problem did arise,” said Toto Wolff. “Lewis hadn’t and so didn’t have the same clues. The problem actually only cost around two to three tenths in theory but I’m sure it felt much more as it de-rated.”

Zaru

I feel like this is the turning point of the season. I don't think Nico has the mental game to turn this around. When everything goes his way, Nico can put in great drives, but he doesn't have the raw pace Lewis can summon when he wants. I don't expect another Nico win this season, baring a Lewis retirement. I do think Max has one more win in him though.

Interestingly enough, Nico was in a better position at this point in 2014, but Lewis just killed it in the second half back then.
Even so, had their technical difficulties "luck" been reversed in the last race, even without double points, Nico would have been the champion. Sometimes these things are outside the drivers' control.
And this year, a LOT of races are not going as planned for the Merc drivers, with technical difficulties and contact/crashes aplenty. Until today, those two hadn't been on the podium together for 5 races!
It's not over until it's over, even if most people will agree that Lewis is the better driver.

Tekniqs

didn't get to watch the race as my body clock is all out of whack. Thought about staying up to watch it but ended up falling asleep. reading through the thread to see reactions as they happened.

one question, how come F1 doesn't start normally when it's a wet race? I'm a huge motorcycle (gp/wsbk) fan and they start normally on matter the weather (as long as it's within reason). F1 used to be the same way right?

Mastah

Not really considering how many pools of water there were on the track at the start.

8 years ago at Silverstone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWvyv06zr54

Much worse conditions than today and guess what? Normal start, few drivers even drove full race on inters, there was NO SAFETY CAR even though some cars aquaplaned into gravel and everyone spun at least once that day.

That was still Formula 1 I felt in love with almost 20 years ago. Bravery, skill and yes, danger. I remember most of that race even today and it was one of the best wet drives in F1 history, Hamilton absolutely destroyed all of them.

Unfortunately in 2016 this "sport" is almost unrecognisable. Everything was sanitised and instead of thrilling and exciting sport event we have corporate fuckery. It's really no wonder F1 is losing popularity, because I know how great it was and how much poorer, frustrating and simply pathetic it is today.

one question, how come F1 doesn't start normally when it's a wet race? I'm a huge motorcycle (gp/wsbk) fan and they start normally on matter the weather (as long as it's within reason). F1 used to be the same way right?

We have to ask Whiting and those pulling the strings. Insurance? No visibility of ads plastered all over circuit? Pure cowardice?

You can only guess my reaction when I remembered how 2 weeks ago MotoGP riders were allowed to race until there was aquaplaning on straights, while much, much safer F1 can't do that until track is good for intermediate tyres, for fuck's sake. I question myself again and again, why do I still bother with this shit :(

hamchan

Damn, Ricciardo must be thrashing his hotel room right now.

Nah, let's be real. He's probably making sweet love to a beautiful woman, drinking a VB while also making a bunch of Aussie bloke jokes in his hotel room.

Anyways 4th was the best he could do after the unfortunate timing with the pit stops. I don't think he'd be upset that he still isn't on the podium after this penalty.

Tekniqs

We have to ask Whiting and those pulling the strings. Insurance? No visibility of ads plastered all over circuit? Pure cowardice?

You can only guess my reaction when I remembered how 2 weeks ago MotoGP riders were allowed to race until there was aquaplaning on straights, while much, much safer F1 can't do that until track is good for intermediate tyres, for fuck's sake. I question myself again and again, why do I still bother with this shit :(

ya, Assen was sketchy as hell this year lol.

And is there a history of the SC staying out so many laps more than necessary? Was it really out for the first 6-10 laps of the race with improving track conditions while the cars were all on wets?

Patrick S.

Banned

Much worse conditions than today and guess what? Normal start, few drivers even drove full race on inters, there was NO SAFETY CAR even though some cars aquaplaned into gravel and everyone spun at least once that day.

That was still Formula 1 I felt in love with almost 20 years ago. Bravery, skill and yes, danger. I remember most of that race even today and it was one of the best wet drives in F1 history, Hamilton absolutely destroyed all of them.

Unfortunately in 2016 this "sport" is almost unrecognisable. Everything was sanitised and instead of thrilling and exciting sport event we have corporate fuckery. It's really no wonder F1 is losing popularity, because I know how great it was and how much poorer, frustrating and simply pathetic it is today.

Just sad. I stopped watching F1 after being a fan of the sport since the Schumi days. I always read this thread, because honestly, this thread is more entertaining than watching the actual races now.

Zaru

Was it really out for the first 6-10 laps of the race with improving track conditions while the cars were all on wets?

My Austrian tv commentators had the laugh of their life when the drivers started wondering about dry tyres on team radio while the safety car was still out

Makikou

Don't know if there has been any Räikkönen hate here in this thread about continuing on Ferrari but he sure showed that he deserves it today.

Solid drive, did the best that car could do in those conditions imo. Even on wet weather which i'd consider one of his weaknesses. Vettel seemed to struggle a lot more but also had bad luck with the gearbox mess.

Also, was one of the most boring races this season. Funny how a wet race usually ends up being good but this one was ruined by SC and subsequentally how far ahead Merc seemed to be in terms of pace.

Aiii

So not worth it
Add me and the wife to the crowd angry about the safety car start. Entertaining race on the whole.

Entire season has been very entertaining and I think part of that is the ban on coaching, so contrary to popular opinion I hope they keep the rules.

I think flaws like keeping the SC out for four laps too many are just that, minor flaws on what has been a pretty fun season so far.

Madchad

I was there on luffield corner was amazing day

I didn't think the safety car had to be out that long at the start. Everyone came in for inters quite early indicating the track was already very improved by the start. Other than that it was a very exciting race. As for the penalty to rosberg, I think it's deserved based in the rule. However, I feel the rule should be changed to allow communication regarding issues with the car. Terminal or not. I'm on board for no coaching, but to help with mechanical issues, or a heads up that your brakes are about to fail, etc. should be fair game.

Mastah

And is there a history of the SC staying out so many laps more than necessary? Was it really out for the first 6-10 laps of the race with improving track conditions while the cars were all on wets?

1997 Belgian GP - 1 lap behind SC and that's it, exactly the same conditions as today with sun shining on soaked track, just watch it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEhPHPvXfLY
2003 Brazilian GP - delayed start and 8 laps behind SC, but only because tyre manufacturers could bring 1 wet-weather tyre that year and Bridgestone had inters - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iikUvXPKjE
2007 Japanese GP - 19 laps behind SC, torrential rain, I guess because of 1.5km main straight?
2009 Chinese GP - 8 laps behind SC, torrential rain all race long - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCR5lLdHV2g

And that was it for wet weather racing basically. Since then Whiting destroys race after race with his decisions and together with Pirelli incompetence it's just unbearable. How can it be acceptable when SC comes in and drivers are diving in for inters straight away on the same lap?

Vettel was not a happy man after the race. He was highly critical of the Pirelli 'extreme' wet tyre, describing it as "basically just good enough to follow the safety car" and adding that "no-one really has any trust in it".

"You would rather," he added, "take a lot of risk going on to the intermediates where there was a lot of aquaplaning in the beginning simply because it was a quicker tyre."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/36759542

And they can't use excuse of no testing, because in January they tested wets and inters with Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull for 3 days.

Just sad. I stopped watching F1 after being a fan of the sport since the Schumi days. I always read this thread, because honestly, this thread is more entertaining than watching the actual races now.

As much as I hate to say it, you are not missing a lot. It feels so fake and contrived nowadays, but I'm so glad I was there to witness F1 at its best.

Jezbollah

As much as it saddens me to say it, I think the Bianchi incident in Japan has made race control much less hesitant to utilise the safety car in anything coming close to heavy rain.

YourMaster

A safety car should only be used in extreme situations where it is really unsafe to go for any other option.
Some rain is not some extreme situation. I'd love to see a football match where when it starts to rain that a lollipop man for every player walks onto the field to hold the hand of his player to make sure there will be no running on slippery wet grass.

On other news, impressive performance from Verstappen again. It is amazing that he scored more points than every other driver Except for Hamilton since his switch to Red Bull. And these races included some tracks that did not favor his car at all.

As much as it saddens me to say it, I think the Bianchi incident in Japan has made race control much less hesitant to utilise the safety car in anything coming close to heavy rain.

Bianchi would be alive if VSC/Slow zones were used in F1 before his accident.

"Don't use 7th gear" - maybe prevents damage to the car (I still think that shouldn't matter - you want to protect the car, retire it)

"How do I avoid 7th gear, do I have to shift past it?" "Affirmative" - that sounds like coaching to me. I don't know why he even has to ask that - isn't that a really basic thing for a driver?

"Affirmative" sounds coaching to me as much as "Hammertime".

s_mirage

I don't have a problem with using the safety car to start a race under wet conditions, to avoid pile-ups like in Spa 98, but it should pit at the end of the first lap unless the track is completely undriveable. However, the race shouldn't be started if that's the case.

Except, that's expressly allowed according to the rules posted earlier.

And it's not the same at all, unless they'd tell him how to drive or shift to be quick.

Well, just as the off track directive makes no sense to me, the list of messages allowed and forbidden also is a bit perplexing.

Yes it's the rules, but they're not dogmas. By the book, yes he was rightly penalized but I think these rules are a farce.

These cars aren't go-karts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom