• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

Great performance by Verstappen. Spain was gifted from the heavens, but this was all him this weekend. It's hard to say he won't grow to be up there with the current best.
Eh, not entirely. The first major pit stop was a gift, when Danny had pitted just a lap or two earlier. DR couldn't really make up from that unfortunate timing.

The start behind safety car has become the "unofficial" stardard operating procedure for race starts in the wet, I thinks it's BS, I still don't know what are Whiting's qualifications to be race director

s_mirage

The start behind safety car has become the "unofficial" stardard operating procedure for race starts in the wet, I thinks it's BS, I still don't know what are Whiting's qualifications to be race director

He has plenty of involvement in motorsport, but particular qualifications? No idea. Being mates with Bernie? Personally I think it's time for him to retire.

muteki

As much as it saddens me to say it, I think the Bianchi incident in Japan has made race control much less hesitant to utilise the safety car in anything coming close to heavy rain.
As unrelated to the events in Japan as a SC start is, the last one in Monaco IIRC came just after the announcement of the lawsuit.

John_B

Eh, not entirely. The first major pit stop was a gift, when Danny had pitted just a lap or two earlier. DR couldn't really make up from that unfortunate timing.
On top of an extremely rare double DNF by Mercedes. The point was he mostly lucked into that result. I'm not trying to take anything away from him, his performance yesterday was remarkable.

Shaneus

On top of an extremely rare double DNF by Mercedes. The point was he mostly lucked into that result. I'm not trying to take anything away from him, his performance yesterday was remarkable.
I was talking about this race just gone. Had Danny not tried to undercut on the slicks before everyone else, he would've done it at the same time as everyone else and been able to go toe-to-toe with them (theoretically). But in trying to give him the advantage and obviously not knowing there was going to be a VSC in a few laps, I think that worked against him.

Unless I'm misinterpreting the situation.

hamchan

I was talking about this race just gone. Had Danny not tried to undercut on the slicks before everyone else, he would've done it at the same time as everyone else and been able to go toe-to-toe with them (theoretically). But in trying to give him the advantage and obviously not knowing there was going to be a VSC in a few laps, I think that worked against him.

Nah you've got it right. Danny Ric basically had really unfortunate timing. He's still the king of bad luck this season it seems.

Also I'd say Verstappen is already up there in terms of driving ability. Dude has looked really good and a much better match for Danny Ric than Kvyat ever was. Which says a lot since a lot of people rate Danny Ric really highly.

Aiii

So not worth it

You know, I'm honestly not sure. Again this race it's very interesting to see that RIC, despite being on the same strategy as Max and despite Max spending much of the race in direct fights compared to RIC having a pretty clear track, again was .3s off of Max's pace: http://en.mclarenf-1.com/index.php?page=chart&gp=965&graf=3&dr1=Daniel Ricciardo&dr2=Max Verstappen

You'd expect with Rosberg and Max in so much fighting, a bit of a push could have seen RIC close the gap between him and those two more, but he didn't seem to be able to do that. Certainly, Max and the Merc's got lucky by getting to pit under the VSC, but I question if RIC would have been able to pose a threat to Rosberg (who also averaged about .3s faster) and Verstappen if he had had less of a gap.

Also I'd say Verstappen is already up there in terms of driving ability. Dude has looked really good and a much better match for Danny Ric than Kvyat ever was. Which says a lot since a lot of people rate Danny Ric really highly.

Looking at average lap times for the races so far:
Code:
		RIC		VES		DIF
SPA		1:33.090	1:32.425	+0.666
MON		1:32.005	1:45.373	-13.368	
CAN		1:18.985	1:18.833	+0.152
EUR		1:50.620	1:50.648	-0.029
AUT		1:14.494	1:14.138	+0.356	
GBR		1:50.039	1:49.694	+0.345

Now, of course, Monaco isn't representative because VES crashed and the track got a lot quicker afterwards, but the other races show that VES on average has had a significant pace advantage over RIC. I bet RIC is spending as much time studying how VES drives the car as VES spends studying how RIC sets up his car.

Aiii

So not worth it
Kimi is legit and consistent, he will stay in 3rd place till the end, then FIA bans Mercedes drivers for using illegal aids and he wins the WDC.

That would be amazing, Kimi lucking into two WDC's for the red team would be absolutely stellar.

Imagine all that German salt, too.

Dan lost about 8 seconds compared to Max because of the VSC , Max had to fight of other cars more , had a bad tyre change again but in the end Dan was still over 18 seconds behind, Dan is still one of the fastest but now Max has really settled in RBR he is showing some fantastic pace .
Hungary is a good track for RBR so he will get another chance soon enough .

Mohonky

Was just playing F1 2015, I seriously hope 2016 is more realistic, because 2015 is trash for realism;

- British GP, raining and it started from the grid. Yeh right.
- Radio engineer would not STFU, he kept telling me about every little thing that was happening and what tires we should go for.
- Rosberg was screaming round the track in the rain. Whatever

Zaru

Hungary is a good track for RBR so he will get another chance soon enough .

Last two hungarian races were great.
It also hasn't been won by the eventual champion since 2004(!), and even before that it was more likely to be won by someone else.
Track of the underdogs. Or something.

Hasney

That radio rule is so dumb. Unless it results in a DQ, the teams are going to say things like they did to Nico and just take the hit because if they didn't, an issue like that may have retired the car. And I hope they do, it's Jean Todts stupidest rule so far.

hadareud

The Translator
I don't think there's anything wrong with a restriction on radio messages.

In the last few seasons the drivers had fewer and fewer responsibilities and race management (be it fuel, tyres etc.) should be a part of being a racing driver imo.

You can always argue about the specific things that should or shouldn't be allowed, but I don't think there's too much wrong with the rules as they are, apart from the penalties for breaking them having to be made clearer.

I agree that 10 seconds is not much of a penalty.

Par Score

Considering all the penalties available to them, 10 seconds is a pretty significant penalty, and shows that the stewards are willing to put their foot down on this matter.

I don't doubt that repeated or blatant infractions would result in worse penalties in the future.

Aiii

So not worth it
13662323_627584850731834_2520888015373648753_o.jpg

mclem

Considering all the penalties available to them, 10 seconds is a pretty significant penalty, and shows that the stewards are willing to put their foot down on this matter.

I don't doubt that repeated or blatant infractions would result in worse penalties in the future.

While I doubt anyone would actually do it, it's an interesting thought that this could be a threat to a team member: "Let Sainz overtake, or we'll tell you something about your brakes".

Zaru

I'm wondering ... if the gap between Rosberg and Verstappen had been bigger than 10 seconds, would the penalty still have been 10 seconds?

AndyD

aka andydumi
So if they had simply said "the issue is with 7th gear" and gave no instruction about skipping it they'd be fine, even though there would be a clear inference from that message not to use the broken gear.

What a fucking shambles this sport is.

They had to clarify for him he can pass through it, vs avoiding going to it period. It would have made a significant difference in his lap times to stop at 6. That's why they showed him in the onboard footage trying to pass through it a couple of times.

At the end of the day I'd prefer they give instructions like this that prevent a DNF or accident, but I can also see some limits being put on the coaching allowed. I don't want to see Nascar style "he's on the left!"

operon

The radio rules were brought in because drivers like nico especially were basically being coached how to drive. That should be banned but information on settings etc should be fine as there not the job of the driver to know, how to drive the track is what they should know themselves

Aiii

So not worth it
The radio rules were brought in because drivers like nico especially were basically being coached how to drive. That should be banned but information on settings etc should be fine as there not the job of the driver to know, how to drive the track is what they should know themselves

I disagree very much with this statement. I think it is a driver's job to know how his engine functions, what settings it has, what each setting does and what setting he needs to be in for whatever tactic he and his team of engineers have decided on.

If the driver is really exceptional, he will also be able to call an audible and switch to appropriate settings on his own. Much like how guys like Schumacher would constantly change his differential during a lap based on the upcoming corner or sections of the track, I feel this makes the difference between drivers that are good at turning a wheel and drivers that are exceptionally good at analysing how their car works and can work to his benefit.

F1 in particular is a team sport, supposedly the pinnacle of engineering, it shouldn't be too much to ask of the top drivers of the world to understand and feel their car on a deeper level than "know how to turn into a corner without breaking out". That is what makes the difference between a driver and a really good driver. If there's too many settings for them to take care off or things are too complicated, they need to get some UID experts to work with their software engineers to simplify it for said driver.

In this case, it is fine that they told him he had a problem with his gearbox, I'm even okay with them saying he can fix it with a soft reset, but I disagree that they need to give the driver specific engine modes to set, or specific instructions on what to avoid doing. If that means his gearbox goes broke, well good.

Fox Mulder

It's like a clash of old guard glory days and new complex technology. It's great that Senna or Schumacher did this or that, but these cars are more complex than ever.

Not coaching a driver is fine, but they should get relevant information like status of the car or how to keep it from dying.

Seems stupid it call it a team sport and then make these arbitrary "coaching" rules. Doesn't matter who's on the radio, the driver still has to drive the car. Unless the cars become dramatically more simplified, the radio regulations are an uncessary burden on the sport that just further adds one more way some penalty can be given where the race is decided out of view of the fans paying hundreds if not thousands of dollars to go see the sport in person. This sport is going to be regulated into nothing soon or later. As it stands, they should be consistent on the radio rulings so reap what you sow if you give to much info. The constructors championship of this sport has become so meaningless. Other than the same colored livery, absolutely nothing about this sport feels like a team sport.

If the teams really want to get clever, they should add polarized filters to the driver's visors, then make a screen on the wheel that when viewed by the onboard cameras, looks like normal info, but through a polarized filter, could display messages to the driver.

DD

My problem with all these rules and procedures is that... Are they really improving the sport? I mean, okay, they banned assisted starts, they banned gear ratios adjustments, they've banned radio coaching, they forbid this and that, but... Did this really improved the show?

My problem with all these rules and procedures is that... Are they really improving the sport? I mean, okay, they banned assisted starts, they banned gear ratios adjustments, they've banned radio coaching, they forbid this and that, but... Did this really improved the show?

Don't forget you have to have a spreadsheet to track how many tokens each driver has used for the various parts of the car because when you see your driver qualify on Saturday, his position might be different on Sunday. Nothing is more exciting than saving teams money!

Aiii

So not worth it

This season has been very entertaining, so yeah, I guess it did.

andshrew

Without it we wouldn't have gotten that awesome Hamilton presses all the buttons moment so this is very true.

While that was funny, I'd rather Hamilton's car have been running in the right modes so that we could have seen him chasing down and racing Rosberg.

tomtom94

Sky are showing Brazil 2007. Can't wait for the ad break when Hamilton's engine cuts out.

EDIT: Never knew Raikkonen basically brake-tested Hamilton at the start...

DBT85

Maybe it would be a better strategy to get rid of around half the settings and dials for drivers.

Then you need to make the cars substantially less complicated.

The current radio rules are gash and I can;t fathom what possesed them to go this far.

Don't give drivers tips on where they are losing time or what gear to use for a corner, stop telling them what engine mode to use to pass someone. That was the kind of shit the fans and drivers wanted banned.

Now that teams know what the sanction might be they might be more tempted to try it if they have the time.

Malcolm9

Won't that be a bit annoying with it directly in front of the drivers vision?

I'm up for more driver protection though, and this is a better idea compared to a closed cockpit.

Doikor

Won't that be a bit annoying with it directly in front of the drivers vision?

I'm up for more driver protection though, and this is a better idea compared to a closed cockpit.

You are mostly interested in seeing the apex when turning. On the straights when you would see something in front of you that is small enough for it to block it it doesn't matter. Also there already is shit in the middle in the drivers field of view without the halo. (The little fin thing on the nose)

Check https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjkUUMZnTnU for some cool eye tracking and eye level view out of a F1 car.

What happened with the windshield/windscreen option that Red Bull(?) offered?

FIA tested it. Had danger of driver hitting the head on it during crash and thus scarpped. Someone can still redesing it in a way that wont have the same problem. But then the sides would have to be higher and probably need a similar support structure as the halo has in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom