• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
Red Bull Racing will vote against the halo when it comes up for voting in the Strategy Group, as per Horner today.

Without unanimous support, there will be no halo in 2017.

Red Bull Racing will vote against the halo when it comes up for voting in the Strategy Group, as per Horner today.

Without unanimous support, there will be no halo in 2017.

Thank god.

If they are so confident that some contraption is needed, please, develop something more visually appealing.

Zaru

Completely agree. To counter though, there haven't been any issues since Jules accident, correct?

I'm curious if the proposed solutions could have withstood that impact. It tore everything above Bianchi's helmet off, and that's not exactly weak material.

Aiii

So not worth it
Just make the jump to closed cockpits, goddamn.

This, I have no problem with a proper solution, but I don't think untested stop gap solutions are a smart choice either. They've driven all but 3 laps with the Halo now, while it might prevent some issues, there's no telling if it will cause others. They say people can hit their head on the aeroscreen, but I don't see the Halo being much different. It obscures the view, maybe minimally, but it does and that might have unknown consequences at 300 km per hour when something happens right in that small spec that the driver can't see. Etc.

I'm all for safety, which is why I wasn't among the people complaining about a SC start, but rushed decisions don't lead to good solutions. Take a step back, assess a proper course of action and move towards that in a proper manner.

dubc35

Not in F1, but still, that obviously doesn't mean there wont be.
Yeah I agree, I was just using the counter point as a point of discussion.
Justin Wilson in Indycar would've benefitted.
I forgot about that.
Just go with canopys like LMPs and ditch this halo design.
I am thinking the same. Fighter jets have a 'glass' cockpit, why couldn't the same material/design basis work for F1?

dalin80

Banned
I am thinking the same. Fighter jets have a 'glass' cockpit, why couldn't the same material/design basis work for F1?

Something to do with tradition and 'purity'. Some people also say they need to see the drivers although all you can see at the moment is the top inch of their heads.

Just make the jump to closed cockpits, goddamn.

Don't stop there, go the full Le Mans and cover the wheel as well.
Open-wheel and open cockpit combination has always been risky in terms of safety and has always being a hindrance when it comes to getting close racing(too much drag and too sensitive to even the slightest contact).
Its an anachronism we only really tolerate because of tradition. If Mercedes had managed to make a streamlined design work in twisty circuits back in the 50s F1 cars would look totally different today.
If an engineer was given a clean sheet of paper and told to design the fastest race car he could without any limitations he would never design anything like that.
LMP cars look so much better than modern F1 cars

The more i think of it "tradition" is a way of not letting go of things no matter how out of date the tradition is, maybe it is time to move into some form of wheel covering, also i'd say it is time to close that cockpit, with technologies today i'm sure they can device some failsafe device for quick canopy release, there are no more excuses for not starting the research and eventual implementation of such features
Lest we forget the W196 Streamline used in reims, monza and silverstone
QUI4XF1.jpg

Something to do with tradition and 'purity'. Some people also say they need to see the drivers although all you can see at the moment is the top inch of their heads.

I'm all for tradition on F1, meaning that I would like to see none of these options on future cars. But if the guys putting their asses on the line think is better have something more to protect them, ok, let's do this.

But they could just apply a more appealing desing, like a full glass (glass or any exotic material, it's F1 FFS) to protect the whole cockpit. This halo is as disgraceful to look as the cars are to listen nowadays.

Doikor

Thank god.

If they are so confident that some contraption is needed, please, develop something more visually appealing.

Formula 1 has always been function over looks. Just in a few decades we have had weird wings popping out from weird places in the cars and the dick noses. Compared to those the halo doesn't look half bad. Only reason people are complaining about its looks is that something like that is being pushed from the top instead of someone finding a loophole in the rules and just adding it to their car for a few races/one season before it gets banned/rules change.

Check out some of these cars Honda RA108, Ferrari F2012, Arrows A22, Any 2014 car. And I'm limiting myself to only the last ~10 years or so. Go further back then that and you get fan cars, 6 wheels, even crazier wings and air intakes. Most of them were fine with the fans because they were added for speed not for safety.

Hell the fans/drivers complained about mandatory helmets, then mandatory full face covering helmets, then the side walls in cockpits, then the weird neck strap thing that keeps your head from moving around in crash. If its for safety everyone will complain always. Also a big complaint was when the driver was moved further back in the car to give some crash protection in the front by having a meter or so of the nose crushing instead of the drivers feet. Yeah everyone complained about that too because it made the cars "ugly".

I got Red Bull Turbo seats for the Belgian GP. Never been to the Belgian GP before, does anybody know where the seats are for this sort of tickets?

Formula 1 has always been function over looks. Just in a few decades we have had weird wings popping out from weird places in the cars and the dick noses. Compared to those the halo doesn't look half bad. Only reason people are complaining about its looks is that something like that is being pushed from the top instead of someone finding a loophole in the rules and just adding it to their car for a few races/one season before it gets banned/rules change.

Check out some of these cars Honda RA108, Ferrari F2012, Arrows A22, Any 2014 car. And I'm limiting myself to only the last ~10 years or so. Go further back then that and you get fan cars, 6 wheels, even crazier wings and air intakes. Most of them were fine with the fans because they were added for speed not for safety.

Hell the fans/drivers complained about mandatory helmets, then mandatory full face covering helmets, then the side walls in cockpits, then the weird neck strap thing that keeps your head from moving around in crash. If its for safety everyone will complain always. Also a big complaint was when the driver was moved further back in the car to give some crash protection in the front by having a meter or so of the nose crushing instead of the drivers feet. Yeah everyone complained about that too because it made the cars "ugly".

Oh shitfuck, the Arrows A22..

IMG_6322.jpg

The Honda RA108 was also fantastic..

honda_formula-1_2008_wallpapers_2.jpg

tomtom94

To be honest, I feel like a lot of sports would stop competition altogether to work out a safety issue as important as the halo/aeroscreen rather than just working the development into the current season and hoping nothing went wrong in the meantime.

Mohonky

To be honest, I feel like a lot of sports would stop competition altogether to work out a safety issue as important as the halo/aeroscreen rather than just working the development into the current season and hoping nothing went wrong in the meantime.

It hasnt been a problem except in freak accidents. It came up when Bianchi speared under a piece of heavy machinery,but incidents like that are pretty much solved with the VSC which is probably the only thing that has been been introduced in recent times that was a very good idea.

Its more surprising this push didnt happen after Massa copped a piece of Barichellos Brawn in 2009.

But this Halo wouldnt necessarily prevent what happen to Massa and Bianchi was a freakish one off incident which is largely now mute with the VSC

hadareud

The Translator

If you take that approach you can never race again.

There is no racing series that is completely safe. As for exposure of the head or any other parts of the body - if that really were to put a stop to competition, it would not be possible to have motorcycle races.

I posted something a while back about how it is very possible that racing and Formula 1 are part of our past and it may not be possible for them to go on much longer from a health and safety perspective. Health and safety was non existent in the past and while F1 has become a lot safer alongside health and safety concerns becoming more important in society, there's always going to be an element of danger that can not be reconciled with our legal system. Whenever there's an accident with serious injury or a death, the cries for legal action and the cries to add this or that or remove this or that to improve safety are likely to become louder. And there may very well be a point in the near future where motor racing will no longer be feasible.

I find none of those cars ugly.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm sure this American tech company that has a history of only buying other tech companies that own technology they want to incorporate into their business is in talks to get the commercial rights to Formula 1, because that makes total sense because they're making a car.

Chuck

Still without luck
I was looking up baseball contracts yesterday and stumbled on Seb's...had no idea he was making eighty million dollars a year.

Aiii

So not worth it
It's from this blog post https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2016/07/12/notebook-from-middle-england/

He thinks it might happen because 1, Apple has the money

I like the other one better, owning the commercial rights to F1 gets them an "in" with the FIA which in turn gets them into Formula E, which is good because they might make an electric car one day.

Because even if they wanted this, it would make more sense to buy F1 for 8 billion, rather than approach FIA and buy themselves into the way way waaaaaay cheaper FE championship, which I'm sure FIA would welcome.

Zeknurn

It's from this blog post https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2016/07/12/notebook-from-middle-england/

He thinks it might happen because 1, Apple has the money

Yeah, this sounds like something Bernie has leaked to the press to increase the perceived value of the sport.

A very US-centric company like Apple wouldn't buy a sport no one in the US gives a shit about, just so that "it can boost sales of Apple TVs and get people thinking about Apple in relation to cars"

DBT85

Not sure I like the 2017 tyres.

CnOnmPPUMAAGYrZ.jpg:large

I'm all over it. Would have looked worse with the current high rear wings. If we can just get them back down like those in the pics above it would be even better. Just wish they'd dump bloody 13" rims.

Is this from the same place that you get your Honda rumours? Because there is no place in the world where Apple buying F1 would make sense.

Lol, its Wax.

tomtom94

Rewatching Brazil 2012 (I don't know why Sky are doing a whole load of Brazilian Grands Prix but sure) - man, that Sauber 2012 car was a beast. I wonder if the reason Perez and Kobayashi never went on to the better things they were tipped for is that the car flattered them rather than the other way around.

Rewatching Brazil 2012 (I don't know why Sky are doing a whole load of Brazilian Grands Prix but sure) - man, that Sauber 2012 car was a beast. I wonder if the reason Perez and Kobayashi never went on to the better things they were tipped for is that the car flattered them rather than the other way around.

Perez got himself a year on McLaren and was pretty much expelled from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom