• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramparter

Banned

Zaru

Vettel would have been a fine long term plan for Ferrari, the guy's not even 30.
And in Schumacher terms, he still has several years to start winning titles again after switching to Ferrari. But do the people involved have the patience and the management that allows for such high goals?

Aiii

So not worth it
Vettel in Merc would be glorious. Not sure why but it would. Ferrari should get Max and make a proper long term plan like with Schumi, targeting 2019+.

Max needs to stay put at RBR, I am sure he can go fast in any of the three top teams, but I think RBR is a way better environment for a young driver than Ferrari would be.

No chance Vettel goes to Mercedes whilst Hammy is still there.. it'd be all out war, the shit talking and tomfoolery would be taken to levels never seen before.

Wehrlein and Bottas are shit, so Ocon will be Merc's number 2 driver next season. Rosberg off to Renault.

Icefire1424

No chance Vettel goes to Mercedes whilst Hammy is still there.. it'd be all out war, the shit talking and tomfoolery would be taken to levels never seen before.

Although it would never happen, I'll say it - I'd love to see that happen. First to see both of them driving on equal terms as far as the car is concerned, and the clashing of ego would be epic.

Mohonky

Although it would never happen, I'll say it - I'd love to see that happen. First to see both of them driving on equal terms as far as the car is concerned, and the clashing of ego would be epic.

I think they both have their ego a little more in check these days, I think 2 yrs of driving Ferrari donkeys and the last year at Redbull taught him he cant win them all.

He used to put on the tantrums big time that last year at RBR.

Hamilton is still a more emotional driver than Seb but I dont think he's stupid, he pulls the 'wasnt me' on Rosberg because he knows Merc are in it for the constructors Toto loses his shit if they dont get their 1-2.

Which is basically why they could never put Hamilton and Vettel together. The guys coukd probably handle it alright, the guys over seeing the team though would probably have a mental breakdown watching them race one another and good luck telling the two guys everyone wants to see go toe to toe they cant race.

tomtom94

Vettel ending up at Mercedes would have been a lot more likely had Kimi not re-signed for 2017, I feel. No way are Ferrari entering the next season with Rosberg as their top driver.

I swear Toto and Nikki would go nuclear if Vettel joined that team. Granted Lewis and Vettel are rather friendly with each other during the back room segment before the podium.

Wehrlein and Bottas are shit, so Ocon will be Merc's number 2 driver next season. Rosberg off to Renault.

You are right about the through the roof levels of backstage shenanigans that would ensue, however can you imagine the racing we would have with those two in equal machinery? fighting for the championship? ehh it would end up in post race meetings and "rules" about who get first pit stop and shit... if only

You are right about the through the roof levels of backstage shenanigans that would ensue, however can you imagine the racing we would have with those two in equal machinery? fighting for the championship? ehh it would end up in post race meetings and "rules" about who get first pit stop and shit... if only
Mercedes management would never go for a HAM/VET lineup. They can barely manage their current lineup as it is.
It would produce like only 2-3 good races before some shit happens and team management starts issuing team orders.
Vettel is stuck at Ferrari unless #blessed leaves Merc

Vettel is no Kimi, Seb has ambition and will want to move forward.

I just don't see it happening. The dream of a German champion with Mercedes is the only reason for it to happen, and while Lewis is still there that'll never happen

A direct swap between the both is the most realistic possibility. Plus, Vettel has at least 2-3 more years before something happens, and by that time we've got loads of drivers that will qualify for Mercedes car that will cost a fraction of his salary

DBT85

Do we know that Lewis can say no to a teammate like Vettel can at Ferrari?

I'm sure Lewis has said before that he doesn't have the burning desire to drive for Ferrari like others do.

Mohonky

Do we know that Lewis can say no to a teammate like Vettel can at Ferrari?

I'm sure Lewis has said before that he doesn't have the burning desire to drive for Ferrari like others do.

I don't think Hamilton gives a shit to drive for Ferrari unlike most. Ferrari have that allure with the history of F1, it's like driving for Ferrari means you've really made it, to drive for the most prestigious F1 team in F1. For Vettel it's probably part that, part wanting to emulate Schumacher and part wanting to experience something outside Redbull.

Hamilton went straight into McLaren, the other F1 powerhouse (current Honda jokes aside) so he probably doesn't feel the need to join a team on association alone; he was with McLaren, he won a championship with them. Been there done that, so it's likely more about championships and payments at this point in time.

I honestly don't think Hamilton will hang around F1 as long as the likes of Alonso or Button, I see him going off to try and start a music career right before or somewhere in his mid 30's.

DBT85

I honestly don't think Hamilton will hang around F1 as long as the likes of Alonso or Button, I see him going off to try and start a music career right before or somewhere in his mid 30's.

I think that'll depend heavily on where he is. If the best he can get is the equivalent of a Mclaren Honda right now then yeah he'll jump. If he's still able to get a seat in a top car I wouldn't be surprised to see him still around for as long as possible to win as many WDCs, races, poles, etc as he can.

Mohonky

I think that'll depend heavily on where he is. If the best he can get is the equivalent of a Mclaren Honda right now then yeah he'll jump. If he's still able to get a seat in a top car I wouldn't be surprised to see him still around for as long as possible to win as many WDCs, races, poles, etc as he can.

Dunno, he's REALLY into the whole music and the social scene that comes with it.

I don't know that he'll ever have a really tough time getting a top drive but yeh if he got himself in a McLaren right now type situation like Alonso I can't imagine he would hang for it like Alonso seems to be.

Mind you, Alonso looked pretty depressed his last year or two at Ferrari, now he just plain looks like his soul been sucked dry at McLaren.

Dunno, he's REALLY into the whole music and the social scene that comes with it.

I don't know that he'll ever have a really tough time getting a top drive but yeh if he got himself in a McLaren right now type situation like Alonso I can't imagine he would hang for it like Alonso seems to be.

Mind you, Alonso looked pretty depressed his last year or two at Ferrari, now he just plain looks like his soul been sucked dry at McLaren.
This here might be why drivers tend to leave McLaren bitter as fuck, unless they're Hakkinen. Dennis eats souls, maybe he was just extra nice to Hakkinen.

Mastah

Longbow Finance S.A. will acquire Sauber Holding AG

The Sauber Group is pleased to announce the change of its ownership. Following the signing of the acquisition agreement with the current shareholders, Longbow Finance S.A. will fully acquire Sauber Holding AG which is the ultimate holding company of the Sauber Group. It is Longbow Finance S.A.’s clear intention to stabilise the group and create the basis for a competitive and successful future. This transaction also secures the continuation of the brand Sauber in Formula One and will open opportunities to further grow the engineering activities of the group. There will be no changes to either the company or the team name.

Peter Sauber will retire from all functions, being succeeded by Pascal Picci as Chairman of Sauber Holding A.G. Monisha Kaltenborn will remain as a member of the Board of Directors and continue to lead the company in her functions as CEO and Team Principal.

http://www.sauberf1team.com/news/longbow-finance-s-a-will-acquire-sauber-holding-ag-2

This here might be why drivers tend to leave McLaren bitter as fuck, unless they're Hakkinen. Dennis eats souls, maybe he was just extra nice to Hakkinen.

That's why Kimi thrived in McLaren.. He has no soul so it never bothered him

When it comes to Lewis I think Mohonky summed it quite well. The Allure of Ferrari will always be there, but it's not to a point where Hamilton will want to be there at any cost. unless they suddenly turn up next year with the fastest car?

Mercedes is the place to be now, and if anywhere else it's Redbull. Ferrari is still trying to find the lost "mojo" that Todt took with him

Mastah

Fritz-Dieter Rencken ‏@RacingLines 2m2 minutes ago

Seems there are links between Longbow Finance, new owners of Sauber, and Rausing family members of Tetrapak fame who back @Ericsson_Marcus

Lach

Good for Sauber. Except it'll be weird for it still to be called Sauber, without Peter Sauber. And Kaltenborn staying on is a surprise.

I've been defending Kaltenborn quite a while after she took over. But last years driver fiasko really was the point where she needed to step down.
Even before that there were a lot of dubious deals Sauber did. That whole Sirotkin episode was really weird.

Happy for Sauber. Doubt they'll be able to come back this season (might be another zero pointer after 2014), but I hope they are back in the midfield next year!

That's why Kimi thrived in McLaren.. He has no soul so it never bothered him

When it comes to Lewis I think Mohonky summed it quite well. The Allure of Ferrari will always be there, but it's not to a point where Hamilton will want to be there at any cost. unless they suddenly turn up next year with the fastest car?

Mercedes is the place to be now, and if anywhere else it's Redbull. Ferrari is still trying to find the lost "mojo" that Todt took with him
It's like Lewis is the only driver that seems to have no urge to really drive for Ferrari. I honestly do think they'd have to turn up with the absolute fastest package for him to want to drive for them. Maybe it's all of the politics there that keep him from wanting to be there.

Mohonky

It's like Lewis is the only driver that seems to have no urge to really drive for Ferrari. I honestly do think they'd have to turn up with the absolute fastest package for him to want to drive for them. Maybe it's all of the politics there that keep him from wanting to be there.

Yeh I honestly think driving a Ferrari has practically no allure to Hamilton, unless it's the dominant or most competitive car.

He was groomed by McLaren from a young age though, so obviously that was always going to be where he ended up. Being a Ferrari driver also means being in the spotlight; involved in marketing, press events etc. All teams do, but the big teams have a lot of that 'image' to live up to. I think if Hamilton took anything from McLaren, it's that he no longer wants any of that. The fans are rabid, the expectations and the pressure to perform would be incessant and I'm sure all consuming.

He just looks so much happier at Merc, I believe he even said one of the things he liked about Merc was getting away from the marketing and events behind the scenes McLaren had to put on. He just seems to be able to do his own thing more at Merc. It obviously helps that since 2014 the Merc has been the car to drive, but even in 2013 when they were fast but race pace was really lacking, he didn't seem frustrated or burdened. He comes in, does what he needs to do, focus on what he needs to focus on, then he pisses off for a spell over in the states, does his music stuff, goes and just generally chills and has fun, does all the things #blessed peoples do, then turn back up to work all fresh.

I'm a Hamilton fan, I enjoyed his style of racing the moment he got in a McLaren in 2007 and like many I wondered wtf he was thinking going from a team that has historically either won a championship or contended for it to a team that had potential but nothing to really show for it. But I think going to Merc was the best thing he could have done, getting away from McLaren and giving him some breathing room and a fresh perspective seemed to really help him out and I would argue that Niki Lauda has been a huge influence in getting his head sorted. Hamilton no doubt always had speed but he also seemed to come in and out of focus, get flustered, do stupid shit etc. Since Lauda came in with his no bullshit tell it how it is approach to getting his head sorted, I reckon Lauda turned Hamilton from a guy with a lot of speed and potential into the more well rounded driver he is right now. Hamilton still has his moments but an emotional guy like Hamilton needed someone like Lauda to give him a 'you're good, but if you want to be the best, you're going to shut up and listen to me' approach.

Sauber being bought by some random finance group will just not really work long term in the current economic climate,remember what happened to Lotus. Kaltenborn staying onboard won't help that at all.
It will just keep them afloat for some time until someone else buys them or they close down. Their only chance of making it in the long run is to find a long term investor, preferably a car manufacturer.
Being a competitive F1 team based outside the UK is almost impossible these days, even Ferrari is struggling.

McLaren and Renault want James Allison according to Autobild

New McLaren aero update for Hungary/Germany said to be worth 2-3 tenths.

Phase 2 of Honda's big upgrade coming for Belgium or Monza, a reshaping of the combustion chamber to improve efficiency and release more horses from the stables.

Hasegawa:

"the next phase will be about the ICE itself, and we are targeting to introduce it for the Belgian GP at the earliest. With the upcoming upgrades, we are expecting lap time improvement that is the level of about 0.5sec/lap to be made"

Yeh I honestly think driving a Ferrari has practically no allure to Hamilton, unless it's the dominant or most competitive car.

He was groomed by McLaren from a young age though, so obviously that was always going to be where he ended up. Being a Ferrari driver also means being in the spotlight; involved in marketing, press events etc. All teams do, but the big teams have a lot of that 'image' to live up to. I think if Hamilton took anything from McLaren, it's that he no longer wants any of that. The fans are rabid, the expectations and the pressure to perform would be incessant and I'm sure all consuming.

He just looks so much happier at Merc, I believe he even said one of the things he liked about Merc was getting away from the marketing and events behind the scenes McLaren had to put on. He just seems to be able to do his own thing more at Merc. It obviously helps that since 2014 the Merc has been the car to drive, but even in 2013 when they were fast but race pace was really lacking, he didn't seem frustrated or burdened. He comes in, does what he needs to do, focus on what he needs to focus on, then he pisses off for a spell over in the states, does his music stuff, goes and just generally chills and has fun, does all the things #blessed peoples do, then turn back up to work all fresh.

I'm a Hamilton fan, I enjoyed his style of racing the moment he got in a McLaren in 2007 and like many I wondered wtf he was thinking going from a team that has historically either won a championship or contended for it to a team that had potential but nothing to really show for it. But I think going to Merc was the best thing he could have done, getting away from McLaren and giving him some breathing room and a fresh perspective seemed to really help him out and I would argue that Niki Lauda has been a huge influence in getting his head sorted. Hamilton no doubt always had speed but he also seemed to come in and out of focus, get flustered, do stupid shit etc. Since Lauda came in with his no bullshit tell it how it is approach to getting his head sorted, I reckon Lauda turned Hamilton from a guy with a lot of speed and potential into the more well rounded driver he is right now. Hamilton still has his moments but an emotional guy like Hamilton needed someone like Lauda to give him a 'you're good, but if you want to be the best, you're going to shut up and listen to me' approach.
Yeah I agree with all of this. Though it does seem like he still does some promo stuff for Merc, just nowhere near on the level that McLaren had him do. I remember in 2014 Lauda put a stop to a lot of what Hamilton used to do. He doesn't really seem to bring celebs to the races anymore and his entourage seems to be pretty much nonexistent these days. Though the funniest thing or worst depending on what you think of it was when he brought Ice fucking Tea to the McLaren garage "and here's some Star Wars shit." I don't even think Lauda allows Hamilton to bring his dogs into the paddock anymore. Pretty much if it was extraneous Lauda put a stop to it. Makes me wonder how Lewis was able to get over Nicole so fast. "Lewis, we're taking the jet." "Where to Nikki?" "To an island with lots of beautiful women, screw that shit singer. We need you at your best and not sitting there crying. Now come on. And don't forget that big box of condoms." McLaren really just over managed the guy. He couldn't wear jeans, no tattoos and god knows what else. That whole thing must have just exhausted him on top of the PR work. He's got a much better head on his shoulders these days. I really wish he did get more championships at McLaren, but that's their fault just as much as it is his. They really didn't know how to get the best out of him in my opinion.

Zaru

just nowhere near on the level that McLaren had him do.

Remember when Lewis was in a cartoon series?

KmGAluz.gif

Burai

shitonmychest57
Yeah I agree with all of this. Though it does seem like he still does some promo stuff for Merc, just nowhere near on the level that McLaren had him do. I remember in 2014 Lauda put a stop to a lot of what Hamilton used to do. He doesn't really seem to bring celebs to the races anymore and his entourage seems to be pretty much nonexistent these days. Though the funniest thing or worst depending on what you think of it was when he brought Ice fucking Tea to the McLaren garage "and here's some Star Wars shit." I don't even think Lauda allows Hamilton to bring his dogs into the paddock anymore. Pretty much if it was extraneous Lauda put a stop to it. Makes me wonder how Lewis was able to get over Nicole so fast. "Lewis, we're taking the jet." "Where to Nikki?" "To an island with lots of beautiful women, screw that shit singer. We need you at your best and not sitting there crying. Now come on. And don't forget that big box of condoms." McLaren really just over managed the guy. He couldn't wear jeans, no tattoos and god knows what else. That whole thing must have just exhausted him on top of the PR work. He's got a much better head on his shoulders these days. I really wish he did get more championships at McLaren, but that's their fault just as much as it is his. They really didn't know how to get the best out of him in my opinion.

I think one of the biggest draws for any driver is having a package they can work with. When Schumacher signed for Ferrari, he wasn't really signing for them; he was signing for a Marlboro-funded "mega Benetton". Clearly for Lewis the draw of a team with factory Mercedes backing and the staff they had in place was exactly what he was after.

If you look at the package Ferrari are offering now it doesn't really matter how much money or history they have; you just wouldn't fancy that set up to win the championship. They aren't gelling, it looks like they are going to sack a brilliant tech director... It's all just very turn of the 90s Ferrari and not turn of the century Ferrari. Lewis is an 80s boy like me and all I can remember of Ferrari when I was a kid is calamity and underachievement, Murray Walker reminding the viewer just how rich they were but just how little they were performing. Put those mechanics in Agip colours and it might as well be 1993. Why would you want to sign for them?

Remember when Lewis was in a cartoon series?

KmGAluz.gif
Even his fucking windshield wipers are broken...no wonder why he left.
I think one of the biggest draws for any driver is having a package they can work with. When Schumacher signed for Ferrari, he wasn't really signing for them; he was signing for a Marlboro-funded "mega Benetton". Clearly for Lewis the draw of a team with factory Mercedes backing and the staff they had in place was exactly what he was after.

If you look at the package Ferrari are offering now it doesn't really matter how much money or history they have; you just wouldn't fancy that set up to win the championship. They aren't gelling, it looks like they are going to sack a brilliant tech director... It's all just very turn of the 90s Ferrari and not turn of the century Ferrari. Lewis is an 80s boy like me and all I can remember of Ferrari when I was a kid is calamity and underachievement, Murray Walker reminding the viewer just how rich they were but just how little they were performing. Put those mechanics in Agip colours and it might as well be 1993. Why would you want to sign for them?
Didn't they used to call how Ferrari was run "spaghetti politics" or something? Just checked Lauda called it "spaghetti culture" lol, can't even blame the guy since he used to drive for them. Lauda probably told Lewis himself not to go there...most likely even before Lewis drove for Mercedes.

I don't think Hamilton gives a shit to drive for Ferrari unlike most. Ferrari have that allure with the history of F1, it's like driving for Ferrari means you've really made it, to drive for the most prestigious F1 team in F1. For Vettel it's probably part that, part wanting to emulate Schumacher and part wanting to experience something outside Redbull.

Hamilton went straight into McLaren, the other F1 powerhouse (current Honda jokes aside) so he probably doesn't feel the need to join a team on association alone; he was with McLaren, he won a championship with them. Been there done that, so it's likely more about championships and payments at this point in time.

Lewis has said that he will see out his current contract (until 2018 - 33 years old), and seek another c. 3-year contract. So, likely to race until his mid-30s (early 2020s) if all goes according to plan.

I think the only way Lewis moves out of Mercedes is if (i) Lewis falls out with Toto/Niki (which seems to be brewing this season), and (ii) if any other team is competitive enough to allow him to fight for WDC. I think he values winning for more than 2 teams, something I believe only Fangio has achieved.

Given that he's raced plenty in Italy for karting and stuff, I think he could definitely end up at Ferrari, but don't see that happening unless (i) the reasons above, (ii) Vettel leaves (or at least doesn't have control over who Ferrari hires as his teammate, (ii) Mercedes' form drops off, (iv) Ferrari is truly lost and misses the boat on the new regs (2017 onwards).

Ultimately, I could see him takeover from Alonso in 2019 at McLaren.

That mojo was called "unlimited testing in Ferrari's backyard (aka Fiorano)" and "tyre supplier working exclusively with Ferrari and its lead driver, Michael Schumacher". Ferrari has never truly recovered from the in-season testing ban and the withdrawal of Bridgestone (especially after Michelin withdrew)

I think he's got too many visible tattoos now to go back to McLaren. I mean yeah Alonso does too, but I don't think he's got arm sleeves and such.

itsgreen

McLaren and Renault want James Allison according to Autobild

New McLaren aero update for Hungary/Germany said to be worth 2-3 tenths.

Phase 2 of Honda's big upgrade coming for Belgium or Monza, a reshaping of the combustion chamber to improve efficiency and release more horses from the stables.

Hasegawa:

"the next phase will be about the ICE itself, and we are targeting to introduce it for the Belgian GP at the earliest. With the upcoming upgrades, we are expecting lap time improvement that is the level of about 0.5sec/lap to be made"

Didn't I just read on Autosport that Honda is at least 5 races away from a next update?

Didn't I just read on Autosport that Honda is at least 5 races away from a next update?

Just ignore his "news" posts.

That's why the announcement of Alonso at McLaren was so incredibly sweet. Alonso and Dennis in one picture, Alonso with a full beard, knowing that Dennis hates it and/or wouldn't usually allow it.

Why?
Does Ron feel queasy when he sees tattoos?
Ron is so fucking OCD. From what I remember in 2012 after the announcement was made that he was going to Mercedes, Lewis got a couple of arm tats and he had to have them covered up in the McLaren garage. Dude hates long hair and beards. Lewis kept his hair very close shaven while at McLaren at all times. In GP2 he had his hair longer, in 2007 buzz cut, same thing happened to Alonso that year as well, same also happened to Sergio...I don't think it was a buzz cut, but he definitely got some sort of trim. They were nicer to Button on this point, but he wasn't running around with his shitty Honda era beard either though. Ron seems like the kind of guy that would scrub every tile in the MTC himself with a laser guided toothbrush to get it to look just right. Probably had all those tiles measured as well to make sure they were all the same width and height. That place probably has the cleanest, grayest fucking bathroom with matching toilet paper and a subsonic bidet or some shit.
That's why the announcement of Alonso at McLaren was so incredibly sweet. Alonso and Dennis in one picture, Alonso with a full beard, knowing that Dennis hates it and/or wouldn't usually allow it.
I consider Alonso keeping that beard and long hair as a big fuck you to Ron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom