• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because the wider you can make the corner the faster you can go through it.

So running wide on the exit means you can carry more speed on some corners where there is lots of runoff for you to drive on rather than, say, gravel.

But what is the problem with that? In DTM they do it all the time.

Icefire1424

He complained about a hot bottom before but the team told Kravitz he hasn't burned or shocked himself.

Ah, okay. I saw Jenson in medical center and Hamilton en route to the stewards, came to the conclusion there must have been a wreck. Thanks work, for yet again interfering with my ability to keep up with F1.

Zeknurn

Ah, okay. I saw Jenson in medical center and Hamilton en route to the stewards, came to the conclusion there must have been a wreck. Thanks work, for yet again interfering with my ability to keep up with F1.

Oh my bad, my Hamilton comment was referring to when one of the Red Bulls overtook a Manor and Hamilton was caught napping as he exited the pits and he decided to be cranky on the radio again.

You didn't miss much tbh. Mercedes has won the German GP.

Mastah

Jenson has an eye irritation, was taken to the hospital.

McLaren ‏@McLarenF1 5m5 minutes ago

Jenson complained of an eye irritation during FP2, and has gone to Mannheim hospital to have a precautionary check-up.

Mastah

Jenson Button ‏@JensonButton 3m3 minutes ago

On my way back to Hockenheim from the Mannheim hospital for an eye examination, foreign body found & removed. All good for tomorrow 👍🏽 #JB22

DieH@rd

Banned
FIA race director Charlie Whiting has confirmed that from now on he will stop qualifying sessions if there are double waved yellow flags in order to prevent the sort of controversy generated by Nico Rosberg's pole lap in Hungary.

OH FOR FUCK SAKES

Mastah

Tobi Grüner ‏@tgruener 4m4 minutes ago

Track limits discussed in drivers briefing. Half of the field wants complete freedom without penalties - especially the young drivers. #AMuS

Majority of more experienced drivers asked Charlie Whiting to set strict rules for track limits & to impose penalties for violations. #AMuS

DBT85

So Charlie will in reaction to this decalre that there is now no designated track, just drive around a bit and have fun.

DBT85

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...ke-double-hit-of-engine-penalties-after-break

Mercedes are not ruling out introducing two new engines for Lewis Hamilton immediately after the summer break at the Belgian GP.

Such a double hit would guarantee that Hamilton - already on the verge of a penalty - would have to start the race from last on the grid with demotions potentially adding up to 40 places.

Hamilton's engine plight explained

However, by taking all of the pain in a single race, Hamilton, who has already reached the penalty-free limit for two of the six power-unit elements, would then have two fresh engines to use for the remaining nine races of the year.

In a tweak to the regulations mid-way through 2015, there are no longer carry-over penalties if a full grid-drop cannot be applied.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
That would be the most appropriate way for Mercedes to do it. Nico is already screaming in terror.

Plus even if Lewis started dead last, points could still be possible at Spa with different tactic and pure pace. And some luck for possible safety car.

tomtom94

That would be the most appropriate way for Mercedes to do it. Nico is already screaming in terror.

Plus even if Lewis started dead last, points could still be possible at Spa with different tactic and pure pace. And some luck for possible safety car.

Hamilton, Spa and good fortune don't really go together, of course...

EDIT: Was just looking up past Belgian Grands Prix and was reminded of Mclaren's 105-place grid penalty last year...

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Spa is a good place to take the penalties. Plenty of chances to gain positions. Wouldn't even surprise me if Hamilton would end up in the top 2, even starting from dead last.

DBT85

I was wondering if they might do exactly this, since Spa is the sort of track that Mercedes could still 1-2 if they both started at the back of the grid, and there aren't many of those left.

It was expected that they'd take at least one engine. But taking one for quali and then another for the race wasn't as expected. It was always going to happen at one of the races after the break though just to aid overtaking chances.

So what, aside from the time needed to swap engines, stops a team from using a whole bunch (they can swap more than two) of engines in a single weekend later in the season like Spa, taking the penalty (Mercedes would barely suffer) and then going all out with the free engines that don't need to last more than two races or so?

Nothing at all. They'd just rather not take the chance on starting at the back. It's a lot of cars to get through and a lot of youngsters with a point to prove.

Fox Mulder

So Charlie will in reaction to this decalre that there is now no designated track, just drive around a bit and have fun.

There's only two real options, strict white lines everywhere, or let drivers go off everywhere for speed advantages. The specific corner rules and penalty shit each week was awful.

If someone wants to go through marbles and over a kerb looking for speed, whatever.

That's what happen when you remove all gravel runoffs and replace it all with asphalt, they dug themselves into this hole, just let them exploit track limits. Also please sack Mr. Whiting.

Aiii

So not worth it
There's only two real options, strict white lines everywhere, or let drivers go off everywhere for speed advantages. The specific corner rules and penalty shit each week was awful.

If someone wants to go through marbles and over a kerb looking for speed, whatever.

As long as chicanes and inside corners are respected I have no issues with people going over the white line a bit, if it means no more stupid penalties and discounted lap times. If there is no rule, everyone will do it and nobody gains anything over the others, problem solved.

I mean, we can't expect the circuits to tailor all their tracks to just Formula 1, that is just the reality of it. They have enough of a hard time to stay afloat as it is.

That's what happen when you remove all gravel runoffs and replace it all with asphalt, they dug themselves into this hole, just let them exploit track limits. Also please sack Mr. Whiting.

Indeed!

I miss those big, deep, gravel runoff areas. With the dissapearance of them the F1 died a little.

They should just bring them and the risk of cornering too wide back, problem solved.

Fox Mulder

Indeed!

I miss those big, deep, gravel runoff areas. With the dissapearance of them the F1 died a little.

They should just bring them and the risk of cornering too wide back, problem solved.

Tracks have to accommodate more than just f1 with their layouts, plus many drivers like the runoff areas for the obvious benefits. Those days are gone.

kmag

I wish they would close this loophole because it's a shitty way of abusing the rules.

The FIA really need a catchall for this sort of obvious abuse. Gaming the rules to a certain degree is to be expected but no offense to Mercedes this is pretty much a transparent fuck you to the rules and competent authorities prevent that.

Tracks have to accommodate more than just f1 with their layouts, plus many drivers like the runoff areas for the obvious benefits. Those days are gone.

That's exactly why i think trying to enforce track limits it useless, since there's no deterrent to exit track limits, just stop trying to force the drivers to them

DBT85

Indeed!

Gravel traps are fine if the car just runs off the track in a straight line.

Anything else and they stand a good chance of digging in and flipping at high speed, sending debris, wheels etc all over the place. Gravel won't make a comeback.

Doikor

That's exactly why i think trying to enforce track limits it useless, since there's no deterrent to exit track limits, just stop trying to force the drivers to them

Just install the sensors into every corner and have the 3 strike rule during race and lap time dropped in qualifying. Or just automatic +1 or +2 seconds into finish time during race/at next stop per going over the line. I mean they could do it easily. If it had automatic and severe punishments the drivers would stay inside the lines. Just like in Monaco they don't go over the white lines as after that you have a wall.

I think the biggest issue now is the randomness of enforcing these rules. One of the reasons for the randomness in the rule applying is that every race has different (local?) group of guys applying the rules. They should just pick a group of guys and fly the same guys to every race.

edit: Other option ofcourse would be to have narrower rumble strip together with gravel/astro turf (very slippery) behind it. But as has been pointed out designs like that have been mainly gotten rid of due to safety concerns / damage to cars from going out.

JDB

Banned
Got an itch for an F1 game, which of the recent ones is the best? F1 2015 is 60% off but it has mixed reviews on Steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom