• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastah

So sad to see pictures like this:

Cog92zVVYAEXdc9.jpg:large

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Because it was a rule back when he broke it. Really isn't unfair at all, the rule wasn't just for Rosberg, it was for everyone, he is just the one that broke it and that is still on him and his team.

As far as I remember it, it was his engineer that broke the rule. Not Nico. That particularly struck me as bullshit.

Zeknurn

Since his starts have been ok recently, unbanning the radio won't make any difference then? lol

His starts might go from ok to flawless again, but it doesn't matter because the radio ban is still in effect on the formation lap.

My point is that both Mercedes drivers were very dependent on radio communication and coaching. Didn't they have like 4 times the amount of radio messages per race compared to any other team?

DBT85

His starts might go from ok to flawless again, but it doesn't matter because the radio ban is still in effect on the formation lap.

So then his starts will be entirely uneffected at all. So I'm still not sure how unbanning the radio will make Hamilton win the title when, as I said, he's winning after the ban and multiple car failures.

I've no idea how much radio stuff they had over anyone else. I've never seen a stat for it. Wouldn;t surprise me if its just one more narrative that gets debunked. They seem to be doing ok with no radio.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
It's a team sport.

Indeed. But I feel docking the team points in the constructors championship would have sufficed... Not that they're in any danger of losing the constructors championship, but there is a precedent for it.

Still, either way, it's not really fair to say that Nico broke the rule.

Mastah

Martin Brundle ‏@MBrundleF1 1m1 minute ago

Lots of talk about track limits being abandoned but Charlie Whiting tells me nothing has changed so far re qualy/race.Sensor outside T1 here

15.5, they can beat lap record in quali.

spuckthew

It doesn't seem to be on any news sites, so I may have misheard while working with only one earbud in at low volume, but I'm sure one of the BBC 5 Live guys said something about Vettel-McLaren rumours.

Zeknurn

McLaren-Vettel is probably just something made up by Ron Dennis to help him negotiate a paycut for Alonso.

Fernando: "We need to make a new circuit for the Ferraris" :D

Now, this is something I think everyone could accept:

And how would this protect against debris when driving? Go canopy or go home.

Aiii

So not worth it
Horner wants to open up the communications between Team Managers and Charlie as well for broadcasting.

2 hours straight of Toto Wolff -> Charlie complaining, oh joy.

It's hilarious how reactionary they are. The fans and the media basically run the sport now.

It's so extreme. Just a few years back they didn't care about the media and the fans!

It just shows how F1 is just stumbling around. Spanky Max's times were much better and much more stable. Regardless if we agreed with his direction or not, but atleast F1 had a frikin direction

Mastah

So what is it, deleting lap times set under double yellows or red flagging session? If the latter it's one of the stupidest thing ever, because like it was one week ago there were flags waved for some 20 seconds and that's it. There's no need to red flag it in situations like that :/

DBT85

It's hilarious how reactionary they are. The fans and the media basically run the sport now.

I think they finally realised tha t bunch of old dudes don't actually know best. So whenever the fans, drivers and teams all start complaining about the same thing they react rather than just digging their heels in.

Hopefully it'll lead to some reform about how these things are introduced in the first place.

All the bollocks about changing qualifying is a prime example.

Setting the fastest time under yellow or double yellow always seemed unsafe to me. Sure, a drying track can skew the results but these situations are an exception to the rule.

spuckthew

So what is it, deleting lap times set under double yellows or red flagging session? If the latter it's one of the stupidest thing ever, because like it was one week ago there were flags waved for some 20 seconds and that's it. There's no need to red flag it in situations like that :/

Yeah, it's always one extreme or the other with these muppets. "Compromise" and "middle ground" and "common sense" don't seem to be present in their vocabulary.

Mastah

FIA race director Charlie Whiting has confirmed that from now on he will stop qualifying sessions if there are double waved yellow flags in order to prevent the sort of controversy generated by Nico Rosberg's pole lap in Hungary.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-to-red-flag-qualifying-to-avoid-speeding-controversies-803320/

Remember Monaco 2014? Be prepared to see more of it. I just can't believe how stupid these people are.

"If we had any suspicion that a driver had done it on purpose, that would be quite a serious offence.

Hahahaha, you can't even police something so easy to understand as track limits (all 4 wheels besides white line = off the circuit). Good luck with trying to be smarter than drivers who know if they brake or steer 1 metre later they can spin.

Aiii

So not worth it
Remember Monaco 2014? Be prepared to see more of it. I just can't believe how stupid these people are.

Easily fixed by making sure that if a red flag occurs in the last 4 minutes (or 5 in tracks with laps over 1:30s) the clock resets to leave a final session of 5 minutes.

Also, you can penalize drivers that spin-off with no clear technical failure by scrapping their qualifying time and putting them at the back of the grid.

Mastah

Easily fixed by making sure that if a red flag occurs in the last 4 minutes (or 5 in tracks with laps over 1:30s) the clock resets to leave a final session of 5 minutes.

Not so easy to fix when there's fixed number of tyre sets and they are on their last set of the softest compound during last run. No one would be out again if there's restart, because they wouldn't improve.

Also, you can penalize drivers that spin-off with no clear technical failure by scrapping their qualifying time and putting them at the back of the grid.

I want to watch drivers going to the limit and beyond, not being afraid if they cause yellows they will be penalised harshly.

Mastah

Tobi Grüner ‏@tgruener 2m2 minutes ago

Race control: Turn 1 sensors recorded 93 track limit violations in FP1. Max Verstappen was responsible for 14 of them. #AMuS #GermanGP #F1

NewDust

Dunno, the exceeding track limits during the race is a no no to me, but during practice... Practice isn't only about a car setup, but also, well, practice. When track limits are properly governed during qualifying and the race, does it matter some drivers are overly aggressive in practice sessions? Either they reach the optimal cornering, or will get penalized when they didn't.

kmag

Dunno, the exceeding track limits during the race is a no no to me, but during practice... Practice isn't only about a car setup, but also, well, practice. When track limits are properly governed during qualifying and the race, does it matter some drivers are overly aggressive in practice sessions? Either they reach the optimal cornering, or will get penalized when they didn't.

As long as it's not constant in the race I don't mind it, but it should be a complete no-no in qualifying even if it's its notionally slower they should just bin the lap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom