• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

Probably already mentioned (apologies if I missed it), but interesting nonetheless.

Ferrari and Mercedes are interested in signing Red Bull driver Daniel Ricciardo for the 2017 season. (Auto Motor und Sport and Servus TV via F1Today)

It would be awesome for Daniel to finally get in a championship winning car. Though there is still the tricky situation of his contract to Red Bull which Helmut Marko said they would use to block any move.

Also it's not like Red Bull is a bad team. They are well run, with a ton of money, and will be in the championship race again eventually. The only problem is how long that takes. I don't want Ricciardo to be another Mark Webber, where he patiently stays with the team long term only to be relegated to a number 2 driver when they finally get a great car. And we all know Red Bull would do that to him with all this Max Verstappen hype.

----------------

This Sky F1 news is unfortunate. I actually really like Sky's broadcast, it's quite good but without the FTA option the sport will certainly lose popularity in the UK. Here in Australia they used to show every race on FTA. Now they only show 10 races with all the rest going to Fox. That killed a little of my enthusiasm last season.

Mohonky

Daniel to Ferrari with Seb again lol.

Think Rosberg will be under pressure this year if he cant bring home a championship. So the rumour mill says but realistically the him and Hamilton seen a reasonable fit.

Fox Mulder

Daniel to Ferrari with Seb again lol.

Think Rosberg will be under pressure this year if he cant bring home a championship. So the rumour mill says but realistically the him and Hamilton seen a reasonable fit.

I don't see why merc will dump rosberg. He's always right there with lewis for the 1-2 and picks up when lewis has a bad day.

Pryce

I don't see why merc will dump rosberg. He's always right there with lewis for the 1-2 and picks up when lewis has a bad day.

Well there's also the thing that any driver on the grid could win with that car right now (well, except maybe a few).

Nico's not bad in any way, but him finishing second in that car means little nothing.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

tumblr_me27b9nRW51rka6l9o1_250.gif

Ark

If Sky ever get rid of Sky F1 being 'free' with the HD package, I'll be pissed. No way I'm paying for Sports when all I watch is F1 and Tennis.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Q1 and Q2 were fine... Q3 was just stupid..

It makes no fucking sense.

The only reason they change qualifying in the first place was to mix up the field, especially the top positions. By restricting the elimination format to the lower part of the field, the chances for mixing up the top go down dramatically. The only thing they'd achieve is to make F1's rules even more complex and incomprehensible.

Q1 and Q2 were fine...

They really weren't. The teams simply don't have enough tyres to make elimination qualifying work, and even if they did, having to get in and get out again means that by the time you realise you're in danger of being eliminated, you're fucked anyway.

The only thing it added was getting everyone out immediately at the start, and I'm betting people could come up with other ways of getting that done.

ElTorro

This tyre meta game really needs to go away. Tyre limitations need to be removed entirely.

Aiii

So not worth it
BBC in 2011 was the greatest single season of F1 TV coverage I've ever experienced.

Yeah, Sky is essentially the same thing, without Jake Humphrey.

I love both of them. If I ever lose my access to Sky coverage I will be a sad panda.

Lach

BBC in 2011 was the greatest single season of F1 TV coverage I've ever experienced.

That was the one that got me back into F1. Really great stuff.

I am totally ready to pay for a quality service. But not 50sFR a month (which is what I would have to pay to get Sky Germany). Sadly as long as the pay tv channels pay what they pay now we won't get a decent streaming solution.. :(

Do you watch a supercut version without Lazenby, Herbert and Hill?

I was about to say.

The Sky coverage is generally okay to good, but I can not stand the pundits, other than Brundle and maybe Ted. Jake, DC, Eddie, Lee, Brundle and Ted usually had pretty good chemistry with each other, whereas Lazenby and the other two are still as charming as a sack of rice. They're just to people I want to see or hear.

ramparter

Banned
Personally I don't like the 'this failed, let's go back' mentality. It's not bad to try to improve something instead of completely throw it out the window.

With that said, imo the previous format had only one problem: teams had a reason to preserve tires.

They really weren't. The teams simply don't have enough tyres to make elimination qualifying work, and even if they did, having to get in and get out again means that by the time you realise you're in danger of being eliminated, you're fucked anyway.

That's the fundamental problem in qualifying regardless of the format. Teams will always try to run the minimum amount of laps.

hadareud

The Translator
Agreed.

Like I said on Saturday, if they want to make qualifying more interesting all they have to do is to revert to the old format and remove the tyre limits for qualifying. Or allow something like 1 extra set of the softest tyre per driver per session.

That's the fundamental problem in qualifying regardless of the format. Teams will always try to run the minimum amount of laps.

Like I said though, even with as many tyres as they wanted, it still wouldn't work because the elimination timer doesn't leave room to get out and put a lap in.

Madchad

Looks like me and my oldman wont be following F1 any more after 2018 just like how we stopped with football donkies years ago. Not subbing to sky sports for 21 races.

Got a feeling Bernie just getting himself a fat paycheck before he goes.

RIP F1

Zaru

Makes me worried for how much longer my national tv channel will pay for the F1 rights. It's not exactly cheap while viewership is on the decline.
Free streaming without ads during the race is pretty neat after all.

Spades

Do you watch a supercut version without Lazenby, Herbert and Hill?

Funny because as a F1 fan, all I care about is the on-track action. You don't miss a session with Sky's coverage.

Ultimately, if I didn't have Sky Sports, I'd be salty too. But there is a big difference between being upset and this sense of entitlement to FTA coverage that I'm reading all over Twitter.

Spookie

But there is a big difference between being upset and this sense of entitlement to FTA coverage that I'm reading all over Twitter.

Or it could be that Sky Sports is ridiculously expensive in comparison to BT Sport. My entire package (broadband, line rental, TV etc) comes to £27.50 a month. If I wanted to add Sky Sports it would leap another £20.

Twenty fucking pounds a month. For 21 events. Fuck off with this sense of entitlement bullshit- I'm happy to pay for my sports as long as I'm not subsidising the costs of their endless dick measuring contest with BT since they can't act like adults.

Why don't they just go back to late 90s early 2000s 1 hour qualifying shootouts? They've tried EVERYTHING and nothing was as exciting and simple.

Aiii

So not worth it
Why don't they just go back to late 90s early 2000s 1 hour qualifying shootouts? They've tried EVERYTHING and nothing was as exciting and simple.

Everything late 90s was better.

The cars were better, and I don't mean the engine power or sound. But the fact that people were able to overtake cars. The tires were better (and there was competition due to having more than one supplier) and varied per track. Sometimes Bridgestone was ahead, sometimes Goodyear was ahead, good stuff. Cars were developed all the time, so suddenly Ferrari would find half a second a lap over McLaren and they would need to catch up, there was no testing freeze, no engine freeze, just the regulations and there you go, have fun, be the cutting edge of speed and technology! Penalties for replacing technical parts have made engineers afraid to experiment with new stuff because if they get it wrong, they end up like Honda and are unable to build a proper replacement for fucking years, it's ridiculous. Who benefits from shit like that aside from whatever team happened to get it right before the last freeze happened?

People tell me it's because budgets needed to be trimmed down. But that's a load of crap. McLaren, Mercedes, Ferrari and RBR all spend over 400 million dollars last year, these restrictions have done fuck all for lowering budgets. In 2008, the total budgets for all the teams combined was only 400 million higher than it was in 2015, and they had two more teams.

Fuck that noise. If you want F1 to be competitive, stop fucking restricting the teams to become competitive. The only way to have competition is to allow the development of cars to become competitive.
Unless you want to have just one chassis, tires and engine for the whole grid, of course, but that's not Formula 1.

ElTorro

Penalties for replacing technical parts have made engineers afraid to experiment with new stuff because if they get it wrong, they end up like Honda and are unable to build a proper replacement for fucking years, it's ridiculous. Who benefits from shit like that aside from whatever team happened to get it right before the last freeze happened?

This is a massive problem. Especially because it prevents more manufacturers from considering to enter F1. Why would anyone, like VW before their recent scandal, want to enter F1 right now? A look at Honda shows them what they can expect: to invest a metric fuckton into the development of an engine, just to be punished by testing restrictions for taking a risk with an ambitious engine design. Limited budgets make no sense if you cannot be competitive. Because if you cannot be competitive, then budget limits do not matter. Why invest anything at all?

This is a massive problem. Especially because it prevents more manufacturers from considering to enter F1. Why would anyone, like VW before their recent scandal, want to enter F1 right now? A look at Honda shows them what they can expect: to invest a metric fuckton into the development of an engine, just to be punished by testing restrictions for taking a risk with an ambitious engine design. Limited budgets make no sense if you cannot be competitive. Because if you cannot be competitive, then budget limits do not matter. Why invest anything at all?

It also results in major works teams practically owning smaller testing teams to work around the bullshit restrictions, so in essence it doesn't actually level the field but make things worse.

Mastah

Ian Parkes ‏@ianparkesf1 12s12 seconds ago

Oh you’re going to love this folks! New knockout qualifying to remain unaltered for Bahrain, with a further review to follow that race.

Bernie on quali: “As nobody knows what the right thing to do is, we’ve said we’ll stay where we are and have a look after Bahrain."

Fucking morons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom