• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Fastest pit stop by Williams? What? How?

CeEaFYdWoAAj9kz.jpg:large

They showed it and I had to rewind and re-watch. I thought it was a stop and go penalty at first. Then I realized they changed all tires. It really felt like they were changing tires while he was moving.

Aussie GP got 2.1m viewers on C4, 360k on SKY, lowest ever ratings since records began, 30% drops for both compared to last year.

R.I.P UK F1 coverage in 2019

Speed with Guy Martin impresses

Ahead of the new Formula 1 season, Channel 4 aired a one-hour special edition of Speed with Guy Martin last Thursday (17th March). The show, which featured him going head-to-head with David Coulthard, averaged a strong 2.80m (14.2%) from 21:00 to 22:00. It ended up being the most watched F1 related programme, which shows how vital it is to crossover where possible.

It was Guy Martin’s biggest ever rating on Channel 4, and will probably consolidate to around 3.5 million viewers. At Channel 4’s press launch, Coulthard suggested that there may be more specials with himself and Martin down the road. Given the number for last week’s special, I think the chances of something happening in the future has increased fourfold.

The Boss Man is unstoppable, he's back next Monday on C4 @ 7:15pm with his LIVE wall of death world record attempt.

Moozo

Aussie GP got 2.1m viewers on C4, 360k on SKY, lowest ever ratings since records began, 30% drops for both compared to last year.

R.I.P UK F1 coverage in 2019

The Boss Man is unstoppable, he's back next Monday on C4 @ 7:15pm with his LIVE wall of death world record attempt.

Sky will drop it before then leaving BT to come in and buy it all or, hopefully, back to FTA completely.

I honestly dont mind Mad Max cussing and being animated inside the cockpit. Every top driver has a sense of entitlement, so I dont hold it against them when they prove what we already know.

If you can't find it, there's videos of the 2.2 second pit stops from last year and they have the same effect when viewed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSOj84jnqWo

The Williams one was shown from behind the car, in the pit lane, so the car moves away from the camera, stops briefly, then keeps going, so the effect is even more pronounced than from above.

Red Bull did a 1,92 seconds (internal data, broadcast clocked it at 2,3) stop in Austin back in 2013.

10929823713_f2ee6fcb94_o.gif

tomtom94

The more intriguing one for me is Williams, 3 medium, 3 soft and 7 super soft. Worried they might need more tyres to get through qualifying?

dubc35

They know they can complete full race distance on one set of mediums. Why get extras?
Thanks for making the quickly degrading tires Pirelli!

Question on the timing banner at the bottom of the screen during the race, what is the difference between when the tire type is filled in? Sometimes the circle with the letter in it is filled in white, sometimes no fill, I thought I saw one filled yellow too.

Question on the timing banner at the bottom of the screen during the race, what is the difference between when the tire type is filled in? Sometimes the circle with the letter in it is filled in white, sometimes no fill, I thought I saw one filled yellow too.

I think it's the difference between a new and used set of tyres.

Pirelli are only delivering what they are told to, it's stupid to blame them.

Filled means the tyre is new I think, not filled is used.

tomtom94

Be interesting to see the reactions from fans if these new rules on tyre selection end up with lots of races with one-stops onto the hardest possible tyre.

dubc35

I think it's the difference between a new and used set of tyres.

Pirelli are only delivering what they are told to, it's stupid to blame them.

Filled means the tyre is new I think, not filled is used.

I figured it was some sort of new/used indicator but I wasn't sure; still not I guess. I'll look around.

Pirelli has been asked to create tires that degrade. Why should a set of mediums last a whole GP? [edit, it's not a big deal to me, I find it more comical than annoying btw]

olore

Found this at a yardsale this past summer. We are moving house in a couple of weeks and I don´t have any space or interest in it. Anyone here interested in it? PM if so

he seemed quite defensive and annoyed with that question. Almost brushing off a valid point with "yeah just stay in the car, it won't catch on fire anyway".. kinda weak tbh, so what if he needs to get out quickly? For whatever reason that may be

Sure, and what if a suspension spring flies off another car? or a car get launched and basically drives over the cockpit?

You cant protect against everything. But I would say debris is a bigger issue than getting out of an on fire flipped over car.

Donos

Just read that negotiations for Monza GPs for next years failed. Europe is losing all the classic tracks... Hooray for more sand tracks somewhere in the desert because of oil $$$.

Fook Bernie for his money thirst.

frontieruk

Just read that negotiations for Monza GPs for next years failed. Europe is losing all the classic tracks... Hooray for more sand tracks somewhere in the desert because of oil $$$.

Fook Bernie for his money thirst.

He can't help it his joints are seizing up, he's as old as time itself

Donos

Btw, what happens when Bernie ceases to exist? Since he has a lot of power, a new person at the helm of the F1 could make a lot of (good) changes / renegotiate with track owners?

Staab

That's terrible news about the passing of James Allison's wife :(

And Monza gone next year ? that's a goddamn farce, fuck that greedy goblin !

tomtom94

Redditor, presumably one of Wax Free's alt accounts, reckons Mclaren are faster than most people think:

Laps 32 to 39. Button caught up to Nasr at 40 and got stuck behind him.
http://en.mclarenf-1.com/index.php?page=chart&gp=956&graf=3&dr1=Jenson Button&dr2=Nico Rosberg
Now let's take Force India
Perez,
http://en.mclarenf-1.com/index.php?page=chart&gp=956&graf=3&dr1=Jenson Button&dr2=Sergio Perez
Yes Button fitted new mediums later than Perez but over the course of the race Button was MUCH faster than Perez. Look at the time when Button was running in clean air.
Hulk,
http://en.mclarenf-1.com/index.php?page=chart&gp=956&graf=3&dr1=Jenson Button&dr2=Nico Hulkenberg
They were more or less neck and neck with Button having superior medium tyre pace.

[analysis of other teams]

So yeah they have made a HUGE step and i believe this will be the slowest race pace they will have all year and they will improve more than almost everyone else.
They are faster than FI,Haas,Sauber,Manor,Renault and almost neck and neck with STR. They were faster than one of the Williams (a merc powered) car.
Yes i think the engine still lacks a grunt but they are ahead of Renault right now in peak power but not how the power is delivered. With McLaren's and Honda's $$$$ i believe they will outpace the development rate of FI,STR and Williams and 4th Fastest car is easily doable. RBR is still a tall task but seeing the race pace of Jenson , we can be optimistic. ALonso will be a bit faster than him.
TLDR : McLaren is faster than most of you think it is.

Tbh they might be onto something, it's just so tedious I can't even be bothered to read all of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom