• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBT85

I don't think you can pin this qualification fiasco solely on Bernie.

From what I have read, Bernie gave them two options, this or his preferred option of adding penalties to your quali time based on where you finished the last race.

The teams chose the least worse option.

Nobody is going to boycott quali though, they'll just do their best, point out to every media outlet afterwards that it was a shame there was so little running again and then maybe it'll get sorted next time.

chadskin

bernie.jpg

The GPDA letter is an encouraging sign, even if change is probably a long way off. Good on the drivers for calling out all the bullshit that's damaging the sport's reputation, now it needs to be on the teams to finally back up their threats and use their clout to demand a reasonable, consistent future for the sport.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
From what I have read, Bernie gave them two options, this or his preferred option of adding penalties to your quali time based on where you finished the last race.

Nobody is going to boycott quali though, they'll just do their best, point out to every media outlet afterwards that it was a shame there was so little running again and then maybe it'll get sorted next time.

Who has the final say in things anyway? It all seems a bit unclear to me.

Bernie/FOM do the circuit and tv deals, but surely most of the rules would be a FIA thing?

Is there an overview of who decides what?

The GPDA letter is an encouraging sign, even if change is probably a long way off. Good on the drivers for calling out all the bullshit that's damaging the sport's reputation, now it needs to be on the teams to finally back up their threats and use their clout to demand a reasonable, consistent future for the sport.

It's the teams clout that is the biggest problem. Nothing can ever be agreed as everything will be perceived to disadvantage someone. The problem is, if you manage to get the power away from the teams, it will all be decided by a senile muppet who only cares about one thing, who pays him the most.

sammex

Sky buying the F1 rights is guaranteed to kill off what casual viewership still remains. It happened with the cricket too 11 years ago. Channel 4 -> Sky.

Peak viewers ashes 2005 free to air - 8.1 million
Peak viewers ashes 2013 subscription - 1.3 million

dubc35

lol

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/35889156

Dear Gentlemen,

I am not sure if this is the right description. It is not always easy to agree with you but you are correct in stating that the decision making process in the sport is obsolete and ill structured.

We must as you have stated urge the owners and all stakeholders of Formula One to consider restructuring its own governance.

It is easy to analyse what is wrong so why not think and come back on this. At least it is better to think before you wish.

I have been in Formula One for nearly fifty years in an active role and another eighteen involved in some way. You state that every individual acts with the very best intentions. I am not sure if this is a misprint. If not, it should read "with their very best intentions".

Best wishes,

Bernie

Zeknurn

tomtom94

It's the teams clout that is the biggest problem. Nothing can ever be agreed as everything will be perceived to disadvantage someone. The problem is, if you manage to get the power away from the teams, it will all be decided by a senile muppet who only cares about one thing, who pays him the most.

Eh? The biggest mistake the teams made in the last few years was getting rid of FOTA so that Red Bull and Mercedes could centralise their own power. Teams as a whole have fuck all power. That's why the F1 commission have got away with appointing Pirelli again.

Lol guys you're all bitching about sky having the deal but fail to realise that all that happened is Channel 4 saw the Qualifying, then the ratings on Sunday and said "I'm paying how many millions... for THIS?".

And immediately decided not to extend their contract any further than already agreed.

Lima

I think Bernie has some kind of bet going against F1? You know like how those people made money in 2008 by betting against the banks and shit? Yeah something like that.

frontieruk

I do enjoy some competitive tiddlywinks. Send the idea to Bernie, I'm sure he'll approve it.

Do a lottery for positions, each drivers number is put in the machine, and their position is the order the ball drops out, they could make a big show of it

dubc35

Do a lottery for positions, each drivers number is put in the machine, and their position is the order the ball drops out, they could make a big show of it

It would be more exciting than the stupid elimination qualifying, although most things are more exciting than watching drivers out of their car with minutes left in the session.

I think Bernie has some kind of bet going against F1? You know like how those people made money in 2008 by betting against the banks and shit? Yeah something like that.

There has been speculation in the past that he's trying to drive the value into the ground so he can buy the whole thing back.

LoveCake

There is nothing stopping the drivers from boycotting it, they could drive at 20mph or on the limiter for all the qualifying laps, what are the teams going to do, fine the drivers or sack them, the same for the FIA or FOM, if they fine the drivers, the drivers do the same thing next race.

Look at what happened when there was an issue with the Michelin tires because it wasn't safe, yes that was a safety issue, but in horse racing there have been many 'walk overs' where all the trainers and/or jockeys refuse to take part just leaving one horse & jockey to take part in the race.

The F1 driver's need to man up, they have written a letter, but that is just words, maybe now is the time for some action.

I have been bored of F1 the last few years or so, I even have Sky F1 & am thinking of getting rid of it, just getting too expensive now.

mJUE1Iq.gif

Aiii

So not worth it
There is nothing stopping the drivers from boycotting it, they could drive at 20mph or on the limiter for all the qualifying laps, what are the teams going to do, fine the drivers or sack them, the same for the FIA or FOM, if they fine the drivers, the drivers do the same thing next race.

1. Not every driver is part of the GDPA.
2. Not every driver that is will agree to it, I'm sure.

Plus you know that even if they decided to do it. Max will get bored after 5 seconds because he's a adhd teenager and will just go flat out to get pole and Sainz won't ever put up with that and just go for it as well.

Toro Rosso 1-2 incoming.

DBT85

Look at what happened when there was an issue with the Michelin tires because it wasn't safe, yes that was a safety issue, but in horse racing there have been many 'walk overs' where all the trainers and/or jockeys refuse to take part just leaving one horse & jockey to take part in the race.

The F1 driver's need to man up, they have written a letter, but that is just words, maybe now is the time for some action.

I have been bored of F1 the last few years or so, I even have Sky F1 & am thinking of getting rid of it, just getting too expensive now.

mJUE1Iq.gif

There is nothing to stop them.

But they won't do it, we all know they won't do it and everyone in the sport knows they wont. The only time they would is for a safety reason.

Aiii

So not worth it
I still don't understand what those wrestling terms mean.

Basically, a work is something that is scripted, made-up, and a shoot is something that is real. So sometimes, a wrestler will go off-script during a promo and say something that's based in reality, which is what is called a shoot or shooting. Or a wrestler will legit (try to) beat up an opponent for some reason and that's also a shoot.

Working yourself into a shoot is reference to a tweet by Hulk Hogan, which is supermeta:
clipboard0142u2x.jpg

A mark is a wrestling term for a fan that is very gullible and believes that a lot of what they're seeing is real.

The drivers and teams don't need to boycott anything. Just trying to get the best out of qualifying will showcase how flawed the new system like it happened last week.

Juicy Bob

They could always boycott qualifying entirely, because the initial grid order for Q1 is set by FP3. Not that it would ever happen, of course.

Basically, a work is something that is scripted, made-up, and a shoot is something that is real. So sometimes, a wrestler will go off-script during a promo and say something that's based in reality, which is what is called a shoot or shooting. Or a wrestler will legit (try to) beat up an opponent for some reason and that's also a shoot.

Working yourself into a shoot is reference to a tweet by Hulk Hogan, which is supermeta:
clipboard0142u2x.jpg

A mark is a wrestling term for a fan that is very gullible and believes that a lot of what they're seeing is real.

An English translation would be great I read it five times and I still have absolutely no idea wtf that hulk tweet means..

Hasney

An English translation would be great I read it five times and I still have absolutely no idea wtf that hulk tweet means..

Goodnight Hulk Hogan fans and shitheads who cheer for things without knowing the backstage workings with no life that don't know it's a scripted event when you act that scripted event and act your way into it being a real situation, people that cheer for things without knowing the backstage workings.

Don't worry, it barely makes sense regardless. It's just funny.

As a 15+ year fan of F1 I hope the sport will finally perish from it's slow death once it transitions' to Sky.

I'm not sure why anyone things making it subscription only will improve viewing figures. The remaining casuals will drop off, and any new potential fans will be secluded.

Such a shame.

LoveCake

I thought F1 GAFers would be interested in this,

The first in a new series – we look back at the 2008 and 2009 Formula 1 seasons when Honda pulled out of the sport. Ross Brawn and Nick Fry, after trying to find a buyer, decided to purchase the team themselves. What followed was one of the most remarkable seasons in Grand Prix history. Here is the full story.

Ross Brawn and Nick Fry: Royal Automobile Club talk show in association with Motor Sport

It does run for one hour twenty, but very in-depth interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom