• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read that negotiations for Monza GPs for next years failed. Europe is losing all the classic tracks... Hooray for more sand tracks somewhere in the desert because of oil $$$.

Fook Bernie for his money thirst.

This will keep on getting worse, unless F1 popularity at some point starts increasing again. Prices for tickets are too high, there are fewer and fewer people that wanna watch the race live anyway, which leads to less money for the traditional races a la Italy, England, Germany etc.

frontieruk

Who cares though? This year they were supposed to be challenging for titles, not being pleased that they possibly, maybe, just maybe, be 4th fastest car.

Unrelated, Minidrivers Australian GP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXSuAoqq07U :)

BxEBVpA.jpg

dubc35

The driver silly season should be great this year after basically no movement this past offseason.

It would be interesting to see RIC and VET back together (and RIC beat him again, lol). It seems like a forgone conclusion that Kimi is done, or Ferraris is done with him. Secondberg is in his final contract year but it should be interesting if he keeps close, or ahead, of Lewis into the second half of the season.

Icefire1424

For selfish reasons, I would love to see Vettel and Riccardo on the same team again, namely as they happen to be my favorite drivers. Plus, putting the Aussie in a Ferrari probably would give him a better shot at a championship down the line.

Moozo

Well, congrats Sky. Hope you have fun sucking the life out of it, ready to discard in 2024 when you've had your fun.

Forgot SKY sold their stake in ITV, so the British GP live and all highlights in low resolution on Pick TV? No top UK talent to replace the old guard, F1 is well and truly dead in the UK.

tomtom94

Gotta say, I was expecting Sky to recognise that the deal wasn't really worth it for them, not double down.

No wonder the GPDA released that statement then...

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
How much is a Sky sub?

I've transitioned here in the Netherlands to paying about 15 euros a month, but at least Sport1 has Formula-e, GP2, GP3, and other race classes as well.

Juicy Bob

I really hope the GPDA statement wasn't made pre-emptively of this announcement and was just coincidental.

Because this would be a brilliant example of exactly their point.

DBT85

Well that sucks. Won't be paying for that!

I think I'll move to India and stream it for free from Star Sports instead thanks.

How much is a Sky sub?

I've transitioned here in the Netherlands to paying about 15 euros a month, but at least Sport1 has Formula-e, GP2, GP3, and other race classes as well.

We already have Sky TV but not sports, this is their offer right now

Sky Sports £14.75 per month for 6 months, then standard pricing (£27.50 extra per month)

£253 a year just for sports. Not including the £600+ they already get from us for TV, phone and internet.

If our web connection was a bit faster (on 6mb fibre as were so far from the cabinet) I'd ditch it.

Spookie

I guess I won't be watching F1 any come 2019 then I've no interest in paying hundreds of pounds to watch only F1. I get literally everything else from BT TV for £7.50 a month
Hurray for staff packages

Kuros

I have SKY but this is awful news for F1 in Britain.

I don't think it will be a big subs driver for SKY but they're no doubt preparing for the day when they lost more than 50% of the Prem.

dubc35

We (us? Lol) F1 plebeians in the states get five FTA commercials...err Grand Prix a year now and that's better than ever it seems. Hopefully Haas can get some success and we can get a driver in the field for a full season.

That is bad news for the UK though. Sorry guys :(

Chris R

Kimi coming to America for NASCAR next season should help boost F1 even more I would think. I'd love to see him in the new aero package, races have been so damn crazy this season so far.

Orbis

This will literally kill F1 in the UK. I know plenty of F1 fans who just watch highlights of the non-live races if they can even be bothered to do that. F1 is just not worth a subscription to most people. Part of what worked for F1 on free to air TV was that people could just stumble across F1 while flicking around TV channels on a Sunday and watch it. I'll bet that makes up the majority of F1's viewers in this country.

NHale

It's unbelievable how F1 is killing itself because Bernie only cares about the Rolex senior rich people and nobody in the sport does anything. Ferrari has all that power but never use them to stop Bernie from doing anything that is actually killing the sport.

Bernie is only looking for short term gains. He doesn't care about the next 10 years, he cares about his immediate bank account. Killed almost every traditional European grand prix (and those that are still standing most are in jeopardy), sign TV deals that diminish the actual TV audience in exchange for higher licensing fees (at the same time we see less sponsors at F1 because the exposure is a lot smaller since fucking Bernie is signing TV deals for F1 on pay-TV). And teams actually do nothing. McLaren is a debacle without sponsors and Ron Dennis never said a single word about Bernie deals killing the interest of sponsors in appearing on F1 cars.

Of course the actual racing is also a disaster which doesn't help. Since they started with tyre limits, fuel limits, engine limits, tokens, development limits, budget caps, everything has gone to shit. I've said it many times, but you actually see a lot less endurance racing in WEC than you see on F1 when F1 is supposed to be the formula for driving like qualifying 100% of the time.

Lewis said it best. It doesn't care if you make cars 5 seconds faster if you don't give them to tools to drive on the limit without worrying about dirty air, tyre management, fuel management etc.

But I'm already expecting the always knee-jerking nature of F1, Bernie and Todt deciding to scrap V6 engines like it's their fault. It doesn't matter what engine you run (maybe Mercedes won't win anymore) if you keep all the limits in.

TL:DR Why do I still care about this?

SilentRob

Holy Crap, I'm so happy Sky will continue broadcasting F1 in the UK. I absolutely love their coverage. They really do go all out, starting hours before and going on until long after the race. I really hope Martin Brundle will stay on, too - his commentary during the Australian Qualifying was the one thing keeping me entertained.

If not, well, I'll always have Ted's notebook. Hopefully.

Fox Mulder

why is sky so bad?

i download their broadcasts and would gladly pay for it if I could. Good commentary, analysis, and production value. The US F1 coverage by NBC Sports is shit, loaded with commercials, and low budget.

Yet another reason to move to Canada. Sky F1 is free here.

Free? Where is it free?

I do like that TSN switched from BBC to Sky though. I really enjoy most of the Sky staff.

Super sick of Infinity commercials now though, haha.

edit:

why is sky so bad?

i download their broadcasts and would gladly pay for it if I could. Good commentary, analysis, and production value. The US F1 coverage by NBC Sports is shit, loaded with commercials, and low budget.

Sky is excellent, I think its the best out there. I think the issue people from the UK have, is that they have had free options since the beginning, and now they will all have to pony up big bucks to watch the Sky coverage. Plus some people really like the BBC (channel 4 is basically the old BBC staff) coverage as well.

LoveCake

I have Sky currently & am thinking of getting rid of it anyway before this news, I used to love F1 & watch every race, I have also been to a couple of races, but it is just getting more & more boring imo, I missed a few races last year & I didn't even bother with the last race at all.

People keep blaming Bernie, but I think he is the one holding it together because he used to be a team owner & he works with the teams & drivers & he has been there & done it, once he goes it will just be a group of bean counters & money men, who have no relationship with the sport at all.

The golden & glory days of F1 are long gone imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom