• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xando

Loving SPA as a track but can't seem to get hyped for it this year.

Hoping for a good race on sunday with Hamilton having to go through the field

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Somehow found my way onto the yahoo main page, scrolled down and this:

WKNwv9N.jpg

LOL

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Gruener from AMuS just tweeted

Hamilton will run another fresh PU in FP2 - new ICE, MGU-H, MGU-K & turbo. And maybe another one for FP3. Decision after each session

Looks like they will stack up additional units, so he will have enough of them till december

Aiii

So not worth it

Looks like they will stack up additional units, so he will have enough of them till december

Thank Honda and Renault for fucking up enough last season to allow this loophole to exist, I suppose.

Mastah

It's engine penalties galore!

Chris Medland ‏@ChrisMedlandF1 13m13 minutes ago

.@McLarenF1 confirms penalty for @alo_oficial as he takes sixth of every PU component. 35-place grid drop to come #F1

Zaru

I can imagine the moment where Alonso stands next to Hamilton at the back of the grid and gives him a "long time no see" grin

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

He should be level with Rosberg now, shouldn't he? If he takes another in FP3 that'll be more than enough. Good to be prepared, though.

I mean, obviously it does him no sporting harm to take another - but those things ain't cheap.

Ericsson also with engine penalty. But he will lost only 10 places :D

I wonder if it's an issue with the Ferrari PU or Sauber's implementation. Ferrari hasn't been super reliable this season, but it feels like Sauber has more issues than the others.

Par Score

I mean at this point, might as well take one for every remaining weekend (not that I think they'll do that).

It's a well intentioned rule, but as demonstrated, it's also stupid as fuck in implementation.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
He should be level with Rosberg now, shouldn't he? If he takes another in FP3 that'll be more than enough. Good to be prepared, though.
Yes, but they can still add additional PU parts tomorrow before FP3 to his stack. Mercedes used 5 additional tokens before this week's race. Customer teams will receive upgraded units on following races.

And I laughed pretty hard when somebody proposed to Sky crew that Lewis should do something to get his 3rd reprimand and so he would served 10 grid spot penalty on top of all others :D

Hasney

Yes, but they can still add additional PU parts tomorrow before FP3 to his stack. Mercedes used 5 additional tokens before this week's race. Customer teams will receive upgraded units on following races.

And I laughed pretty hard when somebody proposed to Sky crew that Lewis should do something to get his 3rd reprimand and so he would served 10 grid spot penalty on top of all others :D

Would telling Todt to fuck off work? Feels like a great way to get a reprimand.

Aiii

So not worth it
Would telling Todt to fuck off work? Feels like a great way to get a reprimand.

Apparently showing up late to the press conference would have done the job. Alternatively he could have held up a couple of people in free practice.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
If all teams will agree, Pirelli will bring new tyre (with reinforced sidewall to reduce chance of cuts from kerb riding) to Malaysian GP.

Chris R

If all teams will agree, Pirelli will bring new tyre (with reinforced sidewall to reduce chance of cuts from kerb riding) to Malaysian GP.

Just remove the kerbs, pave everything and award the points to the driver who put in the best effort at following a "course"

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Teams that went with aggressive super soft tyre allocation are (IMHO) quite fucked for the race. At least from what I observed in FP2. Of course mandatory pressures are very high and a lot of teams really struggled today (Williams...)

Supersofts are going out rapidly. 4 laps max with heavy car and degradation is very high even on low fuel runs. I think that the most optimal starting compound will be soft. They can lasts up to 14 laps. Medium compound was not optimal choice today, quite slow and with big degradation

tomtom94

Feel sorry for people like Vandoorne and Frijns who clearly deserve to be in F1 but can't make it because the seats are gone. Then they have to watch Palmer (who is not quite as terrible as GAF makes him out to be but is still pretty shit) and Haryanto getting in instead.

The biggest difference between F1 when I started watching it and now is the loss of the midfield teams as the place where talent is brought up (e.g. Sauber giving starts to Raikkonen and Massa, Williams to Button, etc) - that's where the financial strain has a real impact.

Zeknurn

It didn't take long for Gutierrez to do something idiotic in this session. I hope Haas gets a better driver in that seat next year.

Mastah

Oh look, Gutierrez blocking someone, in Radillon of all places. I would punch him so hard for this, unbelievably idiotic. And this shithead has the nerve to say something about respect.

Zaru

I honestly wouldn't call it a penalty when he can't go further back on the grid. The current punishment for using too many power unit elements is a joke.

Just recently a user here said the teams agreed to ease the engine penalty rules on condition of agreeing not to abuse them.

What is this then???

Juicy Bob

I honestly wouldn't call it a penalty when he can't go further back on the grid. The current punishment for using too many power unit elements is a joke.
What else can they do?

If they aren't serious about managing engine costs, the teams will kill themselves off with costs.

There has to be a way of limiting the engine componants so the poorer teams can continue to compete and the rich teams don't get an unreasonable advantage.

tomtom94

It's a fudge to stop there being a situation where somebody ends up at the back of the grid several races in a row because of engine penalties which carried over.

Given most of the time the people with engine penalties have already suffered (dropping out of qualifying and/or races) I think that in the grand scheme of things it's a fair compromise. That said, I wouldn't necessarily be averse to some rule which says you can only introduce an extra engine part if you've had a mechanical problem (e.g. you can't introduce your seventh MGU-H at the same weekend you introduced your sixth unless you can prove there's a defect).

Lima

What else can they do?

If they aren't serious about managing engine costs, the teams will kill themselves off with costs.

There has to be a way of limiting the engine componants so the poorer teams can continue to compete and the rich teams don't get an unreasonable advantage.

Team gets not constructor championship points for the race from that drivers car when they switch stuff over the limit. At least that way you don't punish the driver.

Juicy Bob

Team gets not constructor championship points for the race from that drivers car when they switch stuff over the limit. At least that way you don't punish the driver.
Let's say it's the Japanese Grand Prix.

Manor are on their last engine MGU-K componant and then Pascal Wehrlein gets crashed into by, I don't know, Gutierrez say, and gets taken out of the race.

After, they realise that the MGU-K is damaged and they have to replace it, forcing them to use a sixth MGU-K and so they get a penalty - meaning they won't get constructor's points for the next weekend.

But then the Austin race is crazy and Wehrlein finishes tenth and Nasr ninth. Normally, Manor would get one point to give them two for the season, but because they are not allowed to take Constructors points because of the penalty, they don't get that one point and so end up being overtaken by Sauber in the Constructors' Championship.

Manor end up finishing 11th and lose millions in prize money at the end of the season.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Such dominant FP3 performance from Ferrari

champions of free practices

Both Mercedes cars are absent from top 10 in speedtrap

Zeknurn

Hamilton struggling with a car set up for overtaking is a good highlight as to why Formula 1 should become an overtaking formula and not continue as the get pole and cruise to victory formula.

Pat Symonds was right when he talked about the issues of overtaking and that the regulations should force teams to build cars made for overtaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom