• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox Mulder

Decent race, too long though. Of course I wish there were a few extra laps at the end there so RIC could catch ROS, but oh well. ROS had a dominating weekend, think he deserved the win. Ferrari fucking up again... is anybody surprised at this point?

Hopefully the championship fight will continue to be interesting.*

Ric ran into traffic and spent the tires pushing to the end anyways. A few more laps wouldn't have helped much I imagine. Merc could have turned Rosberg's engine up too.

Aiii

So not worth it
9653_Singapore-Race1-EN.jpg

9659_Singapore-Race2-EN.jpg

Lach

Someone over at reddit posted the real results so far.

Wow I'm slow today. My thinking went:
- Oh it's a WDC list without the mercedes drivers.
- No wait the list is 22 long, the Mercedes drivers have to be in there somewhere
- Where the fuck are Hamilton and Rosberg?!?!?
- After what feels like an eternity I noticed Ocon and Vandoorne...

Zaru

Rosberg stacking up the statistical Champion flags.

No driver did any of the following without becoming champion:

- Win the first 3 or more races
- Win 8 or more races in a season
- Win Singapore (well, only champions have won it so far)
- Win more than 17 races total
- Get more than 1113 career points

And he didn't win Hungary whose winners have not become world champions since 2004 (?). Hamilton did.

Rosberg losing this year would truly make Hamilton #blessed because several long-standing "rules" of F1 would have to be shattered to make him champion.

Aiii

So not worth it
So, according to Christian Horner, Verstappen's starting issues are a clutch problem, which is causing him to have too much torque at clutch release at the start, which in turn causes the wheel spin and the slow start. They found this problem after qualy on Saturday.

So get this, they reported this issue to the FIA and requested to be able to replace VES's clutch, but the FIA denied the request because they couldn't detect the problem.

I'm sure Nico Hulkenberg appreciates the FIA's sound decision making here, they're lucky nobody got hurt. Maybe do some more halo-testing.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Add Toto to the 'Esteban hate club' list

"Gutierrez at least makes it the same for everybody, he doesn't let anybody overtake," said Wolff, referring to previous criticisms that Gutierrez has received.

"Honestly, we need to say there is a fight for a race win going on between two guys fighting for every tenth, and then you have one guy cruising around and interfering in the race and it happens to always be the same guy!

Ennosuke

And he didn't win Hungary whose winners have not become world champions since 2004 (?). Hamilton did.

Rosberg losing this year would truly make Hamilton #blessed because several long-standing "rules" of F1 would have to be shattered to make him champion.

Some nice stats. But I still don't think he will become a champion this season. So let's see what will happen, but I didn't expect him to come out of the summer break like this.

Now why would he let that record go? If I was in his place I'd keep building on this record rather than having 1 sorry ass WDC trophy

NHale

Some nice stats. But I still don't think he will become a champion this season. So let's see what will happen, but I didn't expect him to come out of the summer break like this.

This is by far the year where he did the most to earn a title shot unlike the previous 2 years where he completely self destroyed by underperforming a couple of races before and after the Summer break. This year the trend actually happened again starting with the Austria disaster (he could have easily have more 6pts had he just allowed Hamilton to pass him) and ending with the Germany mistake at the start.

Before Austria he had 34 points advantage over Lewis (plus the advantage in knowing Lewis would have to receive a penalty because of his engine failures) and in 4 races before Summer Break that advantage went from +34 to -9. This was the trademarked "Nico Rosberg throwing his WDC title bid away by failing to respond mentally after a huge mistake". Something must have happened during the break because he didn't continue to fail like in previous years.

What unfortunately I see happening is a mechanical failure being the deciding fator in the WDC race (right now Lewis has the advantage in parts because he accumulated a couple of new engines at Spa). If any of the drivers have one more DNF than the other, this is going to be the deciding factor with 6 races to go.

Let's say a DNF happens next race and Mercedes goes 1-2 the rest of the way: Nico DNF - Lewis +17 (Nico would need to win 4 out of the 5 remaining races after Sepang); Lewis DNF - Nico +33. (Lewis would need to win 5 out of the 5 remaining races!)

Zaru

What unfortunately I see happening is a mechanical failure being the deciding fator in the WDC race (right now Lewis has the advantage in parts because he accumulated a couple of new engines at Spa). If any of the drivers have one more DNF than the other, this is going to be the deciding factor with 6 races to go.

People tend to forget this because of the massive points difference at the end, but Nico could have won 2014 if their gremlins had swapped in the last race. That ERS failure dropped him out of the points completely.
Even though Lewis was clearly better in the majority of races that year, it all came down to which car got fucked at the final race.

spuckthew

Let's say a DNF happens next race and Mercedes goes 1-2 the rest of the way: Nico DNF - Lewis +17 (Nico would need to win 4 out of the 5 remaining races after Sepang); Lewis DNF - Nico +33. (Lewis would need to win 5 out of the 5 remaining races!)

If I was a betting man I'd say Rosberg is due a big mechanical failure in one of these remaining races. Law of averages and all that.

andshrew

People tend to forget this because of the massive points difference at the end, but Nico could have won 2014 if their gremlins had swapped in the last race. That ERS failure dropped him out of the points completely.
Even though Lewis was clearly better in the majority of races that year, it all came down to which car got fucked at the final race.

It also only went down to the final race due to the controversial double points that year, otherwise Hamilton would have won it in Brazil.

This is by far the year where he did the most to earn a title shot unlike the previous 2 years where he completely self destroyed by underperforming a couple of races before and after the Summer break. This year the trend actually happened again starting with the Austria disaster (he could have easily have more 6pts had he just allowed Hamilton to pass him) and ending with the Germany mistake at the start.

Before Austria he had 34 points advantage over Lewis (plus the advantage in knowing Lewis would have to receive a penalty because of his engine failures) and in 4 races before Summer Break that advantage went from +34 to -9. This was the trademarked "Nico Rosberg throwing his WDC title bid away by failing to respond mentally after a huge mistake". Something must have happened during the break because he didn't continue to fail like in previous years.

Good job on those numbers. But I think the more likely scenario would be Rosberg being hit with penalties from a 6th engine. And as much as he's hardened mentally, I still feel like he comes apart at the seams whenever things are beyond his control.

Also double points

Decided that I'm going all out for my 2018 visit to Singapore. Saw the view from the Skylounge at the start of the race and was pretty much instantly sold on it.

So my business partner and I have decided (if we can earn enough in the mean time) that we're going to watch the race from there, and stay in one of the hotels at the track.

\o/

Zaru

It also only went down to the final race due to the controversial double points that year, otherwise Hamilton would have won it in Brazil.

Rosberg was 17 points behind, so with swapped technical issues he realistically could have won it regardless of double points.

Rosberg was 17 points behind, so with swapped technical issues he realistically could have won it regardless of double points.

Yeah but Ham's car seemed to be in a good spot that year. The likeliness of him dropping out wasn't great. I remember wanting to want to root for Rosberg, but man that guy has the personality of a wet mop. I've seen robots that seem more human.

I must say though, for once his win celebration felt authentic over the radio this past race. Normally you get a very forced "woooooo, fantastic job guys" but yesterday he actually yelled and seemed enthusiastic. Like a tiny little heart started to grow in that metal cage he calls his ribs.

ramparter

Banned
Yeah but Ham's car seemed to be in a good spot that year. The likeliness of him dropping out wasn't great. I remember wanting to want to root for Rosberg, but man that guy has the personality of a wet mop. I've seen robots that seem more human.
Before 2014 started I wanted him to beat Lewis. Then he did everything to despicable..

DD

I've heard honeybadger, Tricky Riccy and Red Bully but where did Disco Dan come from?

I've read (or heard?) a story about this some years ago. Anyway, it was something to do when he'd pick a car to do stupid tricks to impress de chicks in front of nightclubs, or something like that. He was known as Disco Dan. Or pehaps my minds is playing tricks on me. =|

Anyway...

dancing-ricciardo.gif

tumblr_nwqqebmhKE1t0ttero4_400.gif

tumblr_lw2kgaLQGt1qlt7lao1_500.gif

Shaneus

I've read (or heard?) a story about this some years ago. Anyway, it was something to do when he'd pick a car to do stupid tricks to impress de chicks in front of nightclubs, or something like that. He was known as Disco Dan. Or pehaps my minds is playing tricks on me. =|
I'm sure it was from an interview with him and his mates or something. Wouldn't be a story he told himself, but reckon it would be a "matey" thing to do, to embarrass them in front of a camera/journo.

Fake edit: This was from 2009:
And finally, that nickname which has been doing the rounds. Is he really called Disco Dan by his mates?
“I don’t really have a nickname! But that was one I was called when I first started racing. I’m not really a dancer - we all like to have a bit of fun, but no I don’t have any particular moves to talk about.”

Weird. I'm sure it was from him doing blockies and playing loud music.

DD

@FelipeMassa19 Me or Felipinho?

Csyy2LUWIAApg3m.jpg

Let's hope it's in 2017.

*Fingers crossed*

I'm sure it was from an interview with him and his mates or something. Wouldn't be a story he told himself, but reckon it would be a "matey" thing to do, to embarrass them in front of a camera/journo.

Fake edit: This was from 2009:

Weird. I'm sure it was from him doing blockies and playing loud music.
I knew I wasn't the only one, haha!

Line_HTX

So, according to Christian Horner, Verstappen's starting issues are a clutch problem, which is causing him to have too much torque at clutch release at the start, which in turn causes the wheel spin and the slow start. They found this problem after qualy on Saturday.

So get this, they reported this issue to the FIA and requested to be able to replace VES's clutch, but the FIA denied the request because they couldn't detect the problem.

I'm sure Nico Hulkenberg appreciates the FIA's sound decision making here, they're lucky nobody got hurt. Maybe do some more halo-testing.

FIA couldn't detect the problem... Talk about lazy.

Little comment from Paddy Lowe on the Mercedes issues in Singapore.

He added that since their car is so powerful, the driver can’t push it too hard on every lap as it increases the chances of a mechanical issue.

“They didn’t have any problems with brakes, it’s a question of management,” the Mercedes tech boss told Motorsport.com.

“The quickest race car we can build doesn’t allow the driver to brake flat out every lap, so they have to manage their brakes the same way they manage tyres and manage fuel. So you can’t do qualifying laps every lap.

“But you can’t do that anyway, from a tyre point of view.

“At some circuits like this one the brake issue becomes more dominant. It’s lift and coast, the same thing you do for tyres, fuel and brakes, just lift at the end of the straight a little bit.”

http://www.planetf1.com/news/lowe-reveals-mercedes-had-no-brake-problems/

Mohonky

Little comment from Paddy Lowe on the Mercedes issues in Singapore.

He added that since their car is so powerful, the driver can’t push it too hard on every lap as it increases the chances of a mechanical issue.

“They didn’t have any problems with brakes, it’s a question of management,” the Mercedes tech boss told Motorsport.com.

“The quickest race car we can build doesn’t allow the driver to brake flat out every lap, so they have to manage their brakes the same way they manage tyres and manage fuel. So you can’t do qualifying laps every lap.

“But you can’t do that anyway, from a tyre point of view.

“At some circuits like this one the brake issue becomes more dominant. It’s lift and coast, the same thing you do for tyres, fuel and brakes, just lift at the end of the straight a little bit.”

http://www.planetf1.com/news/lowe-reveals-mercedes-had-no-brake-problems/

What was Hamiltons story, heard he wasn't happy with the setup all weekend.

Though I kind of got that Merc were mostly being preemptive on the brakes, rather than reactive.

I think Hamilton was right to question the yellow tire move, as soon as they put the softs on he started to really move.

Zaru

Though I kind of got that Merc were mostly being preemptive on the brakes, rather than reactive.

Going by the radio conversations, they basically took it easy on the brakes to not pass a "dangerous wear threshold" or something, and Nico got told over the radio that he'll be allowed to use the brakes more in the final part of the race (should he need them)

Not only does this track not seem to be gentle to their brakes, a braking mistake is more costly here since it's a street circuit with plenty of walls to crash into. That's why they made sure to not even get into dangerous wear territory in the first place.

Mohonky

Going by the radio conversations, they basically took it easy on the brakes to not pass a "dangerous wear threshold" or something, and Nico got told over the radio that he'll be allowed to use the brakes more in the final part of the race (should he need them)

Not only does this track not seem to be gentle to their brakes, a braking mistake is more costly here since it's a street circuit with plenty of walls to crash into. That's why they made sure to not even get into dangerous wear territory in the first place.

That's where I got that from. Listening to the radio, I think they were just telling the drivers to go easy and manage the brakes because they expected issues could arise (brakes seem to be their achilles heel, I suspect a big part of their PU advantage lies in their regenerative systems which rely heavily on the brakes, so maybe there is something about the way it's setup means they run smaller front brakes and thus cop more punishment).

Would love for Dan to be world champion.

Look how he responded with his driving after Max won. It's like he put his head down and said: "this kid will not beat me".

I can't remember where I heard/read it, but Merc was going easy on the brakes because they had a more aggressive aero strategy for this race, sacrificing the cooling on the brakes. That coupled with the hotter temperatures and softer tire choices for the track meant they had to go easier altogether to keep the tire wear and brakes in check. Taking a look at the end of the race, Kimi got real close to Lewis but given that there were only a few laps left, Lewis unleashed his car and made sure Kimi never had a chance.

Hopefully we see Ricciardo champion next year. I'm hoping that the drastic aero changes work in Red Bull's favor. I mean, look at how well the Toro Rosso did this past race despite having a 2015 PU.

Zaru

Hopefully we see Ricciardo champion next year. I'm hoping that the drastic aero changes work in Red Bull's favor. I mean, look at how well the Toro Rosso did this past race despite having a 2015 PU.

Would you rather see Hamilton win a closely fought, tight championship against Riccy or Riccy completely dominating the season?

I'm so tired of Mercedes that I'm not even sure myself.

And what they need aren't Aero changes, they need a proper competitive engine in Australia and onwards.

Would you rather see Hamilton win a closely fought, tight championship against Riccy or Riccy completely dominating the season?

I'm so tired of Mercedes that I'm not even sure myself.

And what they need aren't Aero changes, they need a proper competitive engine in Australia and onwards.

Yeah that's a good point. Honestly, I only got into F1 at the height of Mercs dominance and before that it was Vettel's show. In terms of aero, I was hoping Merc would fuck up theirs as we know RB is perfectly capable of making a quality kit

I'm really a red bull fan but I'd be happy to see anybody else break into winning positions. I'm anxious to see what Force India can do if they beat Williams in constructors and get that prize money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom