• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

DD

That's unfortunate, last I heard was it was being demolished but maybe to be reconstructed and even take over from Interlagos...

Nah, the authorities promised a new circuit in another area of the town, but it was BS. They even came up with this "project", but latter they said that this was a training ground for the army and that it was full of buried explosives. Now the idea is buried, just like the explosives, lol.

A4tbXFB.jpg

DD

Apparently a Finn newspaper called Turun Sanomat is saying that Lance Stroll signed with Williams to take the seat left by Massa. They say that Stroll will bring US$ 35 mil to the team.

Apparently Apple wants to buy McLaren?

Apple has approached McLaren Technology Group, the British supercar engineer and Formula One team owner, about a potential acquisition, in the clearest sign yet that the iPhone maker is seeking to transform the automotive industry.

The California technology group, which has been working on a self-driving electric vehicle for more than two years, is considering a full takeover of McLaren or a strategic investment, according to three people briefed on the negotiations who said talks started several months ago.

A tie-up with McLaren, whose expertise ranges from automotive engineering and on-board computer systems to novel chassis materials such as carbon fibre and aluminium, could accelerate Apple’s secretive automotive project. Apple and McLaren declined to comment.

https://www.ft.com/content/523422ba-7ffd-11e6-8e50-8ec15fb462f4

paskowitz

Apple has approached McLaren Technology Group, the British supercar engineer and Formula One team owner, about a potential acquisition, in the clearest sign yet that the iPhone maker is seeking to transform the automotive industry.

The California technology group, which has been working on a self-driving electric vehicle for more than two years, is considering a full takeover of McLaren or a strategic investment, according to three people briefed on the negotiations who said talks started several months ago.

A tie-up with McLaren, whose expertise ranges from automotive engineering and on-board computer systems to novel chassis materials such as carbon fibre and aluminium, could accelerate Apple’s secretive automotive project. Apple and McLaren declined to comment.

EWWW, fuck that. Get your filthy hands off of McLaren!

I actually think this deal could be a positive for McLaren. The worry is they will get distracted and their current products will suffer, but the flip side to that is they will have a lot more money to pursue innovative technologies which will improve their road and race cars. Also, McLaren is notoriously well organized and efficient.

Zeknurn

I don't think the Formula 1 team would last long under Apple ownership.

On the positive side it would give everyone in the F1 community a team to hate together.

I don't think the Formula 1 team would last long under Apple ownership.

On the positive side it would give everyone in the F1 community a team to hate together.

My thoughts as well. They'll suck McLaren dry. Take what expertise they need and that will be it.

My first thought was "but the backlash they'd get for gutting such a historic Formula 1 team!".

And then I remembered that no one cares about Formula 1.

Chris R

What's up with the corner numbering? Race going to start on the long straight with the other point being the start/finish line?

Would McLaren need new proprietary dongles for everything?

Maybe the McLaren Honda will get more updates?

Only if the McHondas are running iOS 10 or higher

I would imagine the deal would only be for the car manufacturing business, not the race team.

That's probably the real answer. But what the hell does Apple know about cars anyway? Their idea of simplicity is basically taking all the finer controls away from the end user and letting them decide what's good for you; completely at odds with the concept of the Mclaren F1 road car.

Line_HTX

Update, 1:59pm EDT: Ars has spoken to McLaren, and the company refutes any reports about a potential deal with Apple. "We can confirm that McLaren is not in discussion with Apple in respect of any potential investment," a spokesperson for the company told Ars. Our original piece on the rumors appears unchanged below.

Whew, dodged a bullet to remove headphone jacks there for a moment.

Fox Mulder

Only if the McHondas are running iOS 10 or higher

That's probably the real answer. But what the hell does Apple know about cars anyway? Their idea of simplicity is basically taking all the finer controls away from the end user and letting them decide what's good for you; completely at odds with the concept of the Mclaren F1 road car.

Apple has tons of money, so a purchase of mclaren is nothing to them. It also makes sense to pair up for the development of a driverless car.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad that there could be another Canadian back on the grid.

Edit: he has 9 wins in 21 races in F3 which isn't shabby. Definitely needs to clean up his race craft.

Line_HTX

Ex-Renault Formula 1 chief and driver manager Flavio Briatore:

"Hamilton is a bit 'DJ,' a bit 'rapper.' He has great talent, but if you want to win you have to concentrate on only one thing.

"If I were him, I would work a little less on music and more on F1."

Hamilton makes rap singles?

Aiii

So not worth it
He does, but he never releases any.

I don't see how it impacts his driving though, he's been doing that for a while and yet managed two WDC's back-to-back.

Moozo

Ex-Renault Formula 1 chief and driver manager Flavio Briatore:

"Hamilton is a bit 'DJ,' a bit 'rapper.' He has great talent, but if you want to win you have to concentrate on only one thing.

"If I were him, I would work a little less on music and more on F1."

Hamilton makes rap singles?

I remember when Eddie Jordan said this to Hamilton and he basically told him he was a racist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom