• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Maybe one of the old farts at FOM, for the first time in his life, bought an internet-capable device and read what the fans are saying about F1 and the qualifying on social media.

Icefire1424

Maybe one of the old farts at FOM, for the first time in his life, bought an internet-capable device and read what the fans are saying about F1 and the qualifying on social media.

Well, let's not get into fantasy, shall we? Either way, glad to hear we're supposedly back to the old format.

Line_HTX

Ahhh, can it be? Qualifying got reverted??

@circuitamericas and @redbullracing got awesome celebration gifs, although the COTA one is full on Derpy.

chadskin

At the unanimous request of the teams in a letter received today, Jean Todt, President of the FIA, and Bernie Ecclestone, commercial rights holder representative, accepted, in the interests of the Championship, to submit a proposal to the F1 Commission and World Motor Sport Council to revert to the qualifying format in force in 2015.

This proposal, if approved by the F1 governing bodies, will take effect as from the Chinese Grand Prix and will apply for the rest of the season.

Jean Todt and Bernie Ecclestone welcomed the idea put forward by the teams to have a global assessment of the format of the weekend for 2017.
http://www.fia.com/news/fia-and-fom-statement-regarding-f1-qualifying-format

Zeknurn

I'm glad the teams were able to get together and stand united on an issue as important as qualifying. Now I expect them to do the same for actual problems with the sport.

tomtom94

At the unanimous request of the teams in a letter received today, Jean Todt, President of the FIA, and Bernie Ecclestone, commercial rights holder representative, accepted, in the interests of the Championship, to submit a proposal to the F1 Commission and World Motor Sport Council to revert to the qualifying format in force in 2015.

lol

Line_HTX

Every time I hear somebody go "We must make F1 go faster" I can't help but think that their vision of going faster is racing in those unregulated Red Bull X cars in Gran Turismo.

mclem

Given that's the second time I've heard that said, I'll believe it when I see it on screen.

Well at least it's finally settled
for today

We've just finished Qualifying Format Discussion 2. While there's a clear leader at this point, it's quite possible that when the times are reset for Qualifying Format Discussion 3, there will be a different format taking pole.

ramparter

Banned
Cars are faster now, so what would V8s accomplish? The fuel limitation would still be in place.

V6 are fine. I never doubted they would be fast enough soon. The fuel limitation needs to go though. Should be up to the team strategy. Wanna refuel? Fine. Wanna preserve and go to the end? Do that. (no one would though)

Spades

Can anyone recommend a good F1 podcast? Normally I prefer to listen to American's, which I appreciate limits my options here. I thought Giant Bomb's Alt+F1 show was pretty bad; I kind of like my podcast hosts to know more than I do about the subject.

Why on earth would you want to listen to Americans on F1? I'm sure must be some, but it wouldn't be my go to country for F1 experts.

Especially when you have people like Peter Windsor and Scarbs out there.

ramparter

Banned
Guys I had a new idea!

Each driver predicts his lap time before quali. Then he can do as much laps as he wants. The order is then decided by how close his actual lap time (the closest one) was to his prediction.

To the surprise of no one, Vettel is getting a new engine for China.

Ferrari was initially unsure of the cause, but post-event investigations at Maranello have attributed it to a software issue at low speed, which ultimately led to a valve failure.

"A software failure meant that a problem arose during the formation lap at low revs," a Ferrari spokesman explained to GPUpdate.net, when asked about the problem.

"[It was a] very unlikely combination of circumstances, but eventually one valve broke, so we're looking at replacing the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) for China."

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/337776/vettel-to-take-on-new-engine-for-china/

mclem

If the main goal is cars-out-on-track, I wonder if it'd work to have it to restrict a softer tyre compound to just the last five minutes of each qualifying session? I'd expect that to encourage people to put in an early banker lap on the harder tyres, but also have an opportunity to improve in the closing stages - but only long enough to get one such opportunity, at a time when everyone else is in play too)

(I'm not sure that's necessarily a good idea, but I'm curious if it'd at least meet a few of the stated goals)

tomtom94

It's less that someone thought qualifying was broken and more that something needed to be done to improve the spectacle and qualifying was considered an easy target.

Fox Mulder

It's less that someone thought qualifying was broken and more that something needed to be done to improve the spectacle and qualifying was considered an easy target.

f1 costs the tracks too much and bernie is always threatening to drop them for more money. they're asking for ways to get more bang for their buck with qualifying tickets.

The leadership structure for f1 is just a joke with changes.

Lach

After news came out last week that Sauber has again failed to pay their staff (in march), they were able to pay everyone this week, and they say that they will be in China.

I still don't see how they'll finish the season.

Spades

Why on earth would you want to listen to Americans on F1? I'm sure must be some, but it wouldn't be my go to country for F1 experts.

Especially when you have people like Peter Windsor and Scarbs out there.

It's an accent thing. I find it much easier to listen to American voices than British ones on a Podcast (I'm British).

Icefire1424

It's an accent thing. I find it much easier to listen to American voices than British ones on a Podcast (I'm British).

Interestingly enough, as an American I much rather prefer listening to commentators with a non-American accent. We get Brits David Hobbs and Steve Matchett, and Austrailian Leigh Diffey on NBC Sports in the States. I really enjoy those guys.

Staab

They should just give each team one set of each type of tyre used in the race per Q session: do an aggregate of their best time per set, extend sessions to 20minutes.

-> Forces each team to seek a balance on tyres and make them all work for their car
-> Will see a minimum of 3 "timed" laps per driver in Q1, Q2 and Q3
-> Aggregate times are pretty strategical so there's not just "who has the fastest car" but also "who is the most regular"

I think that would make it interesting and if they want to add more pressure, make it so you can only do 1 timed lap with each set.

Good news though, 2015 format is certainly better than that early 2016 abomination !

Aiii

So not worth it
After news came out last week that Sauber has again failed to pay their staff (in march), they were able to pay everyone this week, and they say that they will be in China.

I still don't see how they'll finish the season.

Bernie will continue to pay their paychecks and travel expenses until they find a buyer, just like he did for Lotus.

raikkonenturboa4jlt.gif

It seems that the PU problem is real, dropping 15 kph while still on full throttle.

Ecclestone has now stated that a race could replace Saturday's qualifying session.

"We've been looking; basically more the qualifying than anything," Ecclestone told Sky Sports.

"Maybe having a race on the Saturday which would count instead of qualifying, for example.

"We're looking at all these things, which would be [on the agenda] for next year obviously. We've made a big enough muck up to do that for this year, so must not do that again."

Can't wait for it.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
And how would the grid for the short race be determined? Reversed results from the previous race?

Doesn't sound too bad, to be honest. At least it does not sound boring.

PowerTaxi

Banned
And how would the grid for the short race be determined? Reversed results from the previous race?

Doesn't sound too bad, to be honest. At least it does not sound boring.

FP3 results probably. Its what the screen was displaying at the start of Q1 in Australia and Bahrain

Aiii

So not worth it
Turn FP3 into qualifying, then have a a sprint race for half points on Saturday and a full race on Sunday.

I'm perfectly okay with that. It will definitely help the promoters make money on Saturday.

PowerTaxi

Banned
Turn FP3 into qualifying, then have a a sprint race for half points on Saturday and a full race on Sunday.

I'm perfectly okay with that. It will definitely help the promoters make money on Saturday.

Fairly logical idea. Never gonna happen.

dubc35

Ecclestone has now stated that a race could replace Saturday's qualifying session.

"We've been looking; basically more the qualifying than anything," Ecclestone told Sky Sports.

"Maybe having a race on the Saturday which would count instead of qualifying, for example.

"We're looking at all these things, which would be [on the agenda] for next year obviously. We've made a big enough muck up to do that for this year, so must not do that again."

Can't wait for it.

Bring back something like the BMW M1 Procar Championship and it would be great!

Yep said that a couple of pages back, not sure why they were so hell belt on stupid variations of qualifying.

Just don't touch the grand prix format as it is.

One race on Sunday, 300km plus one lap.

GPs aren't nearly as sprint-y as they should be, so the real danger would be Sat>Sun. In fact you could just about book it. Then they'd change Sundays, so if you like it as is, vote no on Saturday sprints.

It would cost the teams a fortune anyway, so it ain't going to happen.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Vettel's engine is toast due to electronic mapping issues that simply pushed exhaust valve into overdrive mode. (Motorsport)

No issues with our PU fo' sure
It seems that the PU problem is real, dropping 15 kph while still on full throttle.

Same could be observed with other teams using 2016 Ferrari engines. Also there were reports about engine vibrations from Ferrari customer teams

andshrew

Where has this desire to change the Saturday schedule come from exactly?

At the races I've been to the Saturday schedule has always been packed from 8am through to 5pm with F1, GP2, GP3, Porshe's. I've never felt particularly short changed in what I was getting, and I'm sure places like Silverstone have between 90-100k attendance on the Saturdays (I'm guessing other European tracks have similar).

If the basic idea is to scramble the grid for the GP, the reverse grid idea sounds far more likely to produce the desired result.

As for the Ferrari dropping speed at the end of straights; isn't that just the engine starting to harvest energy? You see the lights at the back start blinking for all manufacturers at a similar spot.

One thing to keep in mind; wouldn't a Saturday race raise costs significantly? I would think it would result in at least one or two extra engines per car over the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom