• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox Mulder

And who are more likely to be consistent? Teams with good cars. Now getting up the grid doesn't require one spectacular lap for other teams, it requires two.

Yeah I don't see how this does anything to pull in the mercs. Might as well do a fucking lottery or add sandbags to the previous winner to give teams like force India and Williams a chance at pole.

ramparter

Banned
Yeah I don't see how this does anything to pull in the mercs. Might as well do a fucking lottery or add sandbags to the previous winner to give teams like force India and Williams a chance at pole.
The strongest will be usually on the front unless we dont want a fair qualifying. The point is to have drivers do more laps. I think it will be more interesting.

Juicy Bob

None of this qualifying bullshit would even have happened if we had more competition in F1 throughout the grid.

Last year's qualifying system is fine. If the field was closer, you'd have different pole sitters more regularly and different people knocked out in the earlier rounds. And there you go - mixing things up a bit.

But instead, everyone's trying to think of stupid ways to force what they want to happen instead of addressing the fundamental inequality that leads to one team dominating at the front and the smaller indie teams unable to move up the grid without major financial benefactors.

DBT85

Mercedes still have the best qualifying engine maps/peak power but in race mode where engine has to last 5 races, I would guess the gap is far less as Lowe surmises.

One thing is I can't figure out how you can have a better Q map than race mode.
You are limited to 100g/fuel no matter if its Q or race or are they using far less than 100g in race conditions to keep within 100kg weight of fuel limits?

It's just turning the engine down to ensure longevity. Thats why when in races the Mercs need to be fast they can crank it up.

Why run at 100% if you can run at 90% and still win?

Mastah

Tobi Grüner ‏@tgruener 2h2 hours ago

FIA noticed several pit board messages that might have violated new radio rules at Melbourne. Told teams next time there will be penalties.

Aiii

So not worth it

There was an interview with Whiting in a Dutch F1 magazine that came out this week where he spoke about this. He said they are looking for things like color coding lap numbers and stuff like that that might be coded messages to the driver. If they notice a pitboard and then see drivers changing set-ups or otherwise changing their driving style that's an indication that foul play might be up.

Aiii

So not worth it
That would be nice, it would be good to have less negativity in here after those two fun and entertaining races we just had.

Aiii

So not worth it
Sounds like you need some power of positivity, nature boy.

_wYF8H.gif

It's a New Day, yes it is!

Jezbollah

Next time they do qualifying, the drivers and teams should just go balls out in Q1 and then not bother going out in protest in Q2 and Q3.

Aiii

So not worth it
What happens next will tell us exactly where the power is.

You know exactly whats going to happen. Bernie will be asinine and talk shit about the team principals. Todt will remain silent and the FIA will introduce their aggregate system next race and that's that.

Ty4on

Next time they do qualifying, the drivers and teams should just go balls out in Q1 and then not bother going out in protest in Q2 and Q3.

It wouldn't be that different from the current system where they only run one lap per session :/

So if you're on a flying lap in aggregate quali and a manor blocks you......can you even abort the lap?

If you run slow to save tyres for the next lap, what happens? Is it added to your overall time?

Aiii

So not worth it
They will take your top two laps from two different sessions and that's your aggregate laptime from what I understand.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
They will take your top two laps from two different sessions and that's your aggregate laptime from what I understand.

Uh, that's sounds terrible. If anything, that would make luck even less of a factor.

Aiii

So not worth it
Uh, that's sounds terrible. If anything, that would make luck even less of a factor.

I think I might be wrong, reading into it, it does aggregate the top two times per session for each session.

The intention from the FIA and Bernie is that there's more running on track so there's more spectacle. Track owners have requested this. So that makes sense.

From two DIFFERENT sessions?

I don't even what?

Oh well...

Just tell me that they're going to allocate more tyres....because all that's going to happen is that people will run at max pelt for a lap or two and save tyres.....which is the exact problem we have now....so.....more tyres confirmed right?

ramparter

Banned
I think I might be wrong, reading into it, it does aggregate the top two times per session for each session.

The intention from the FIA and Bernie is that there's more running on track so there's more spectacle. Track owners have requested this. So that makes sense.

Each driver should do at least 3 runs. Then from his 3 fastest laps(in case he has done more) one is randomly selected to determine his position. There you go, both luvk and skill are factors.

mclem

Decent negotiation skills apparently. My assumption is that someone on the FIA side was too dumb to put a time limit on it.

Given it's officially for being a "Long-standing team", putting a time limit on it would strike me as counter-intuitive. I guess a more logical approach if they are doing that is to divide it evenly (or proportionally?) between multiple long-standing teams after a certain duration threshold - but then things get messy on other fronts as teams get sold and rebranded but may still be functionally the same (does FI count Jordan's era?)

Or they could just not do it at all. Sounds good to me!

mclem

No, I mean completely re-doing the payment structure every few years rather than sticking to a system that lacks flexibility.

Oh. Yes, that's a point.

When did Ferrari first get the bonus, anyway? McLaren are the second-oldest team, and if Ferrari started getting it in 2000 or earlier, McLaren would definitely have an argument to be treated the same way.

Edit: Technically, Merc are second-oldest, but, well, there was a little bit of a gap in there.

DBT85

Can;t wait for the person with the fastest time by 0.5 seconds to be placed last on the grid because Maldonados replacement shunts them and they can't do a second lap.

Or some tit goes off track with 2 minutes to go, red/yellow flagging the session and so only Manor have set 2 laps and get the front row.

Aiii

So not worth it
I believe Ferrari started getting a 4% extra pay-out from the television income in 2003, as there was fear over them leaving F1 once they took their company public. The money was intended to persuade them to remain in F1. This money comes directly from Bernie's slice of the TV income, btw.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Or some tit goes off track with 2 minutes to go, red/yellow flagging the session and so only Manor have set 2 laps and get the front row.

That would actually be cool, lol.

They're all going to do two banker laps right at the start of each session. No question.

That's where the aggregate system actually works, it does definitely force them to go out early.

Elros

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/35987323

After the opening 2016 race in Australia, teams voted unanimously to revert to the 2015 format, only for Todt to rule out that option.

Undeterred, the teams again insisted on a reversion to 2015 at a meeting at the Bahrain Grand Prix last Sunday.

Now they have written a letter, arguing that Todt's aggregate system "adds complexity" and makes it harder for the audience to follow what is happening.

The stand-off goes on.

Aiii

So not worth it
I agree with them in principle, but I'm not sure the aggregate system is all that complicated for the audience.

It won't be because the computer will calculate and display all the data on the screen in real time.

I am honestly not really against this system. There's not much to say against or for it in comparison to the 2015 system, except that it guarantees cars will have to do an extra or an extra run each session, which does mean more running.

Juicy Bob

Even if it works, it'll produce no more exciting grids than last year. If anything, it'll consolidate the performance gaps between the cars and we'll end up with more 'Noah's Ark' grids.

dubc35

Such a clusterfuck, pick something and go with it. If it's the aggregate system then be it but stop changing things in season. If you're worried about confusing the audience maybe stop changing things? Not everyone keeps up with the news between races. The Red Bull domination doesn't look too bad in hindsight. Exhaust blow diffusers are at least technical and on the cars. This is just political bickering.

tomtom94

I was initially in favour of aggregate qualifying but I don't think it will work tbqh, how are you going to be able to tell whether the driver is on a 'faster lap'? Plus the fact that unless they scrap the requirement for you to save tyres for the race we're still going to get people not bothering to go out.

On the plus side this should make more people aware that this is mostly Todt playing politics.

DBT85

They're all going to do two banker laps right at the start of each session. No question.

That's where the aggregate system actually works, it does definitely force them to go out early.

Yep, every car on track desperate to get two in before hell breaks loose, only for all hell to break loose because everyone is on track trying to do two flying laps.

Good.

Good point. The three columns you'd need on the left would take up a shitload of screen real estate.

Lucky we're running in HD at last, eh Bernie?

Aiii

So not worth it
No way Bernie and Todt just rolled over because of a strongly worded letter from the teams. Something smells.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom