• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spades

Amazes me that F1 drivers don't get more shit for all the tax dodging they do, they lap up the fans attention and merchandise money but no one seems to care that most of them don't pay a penny of tax in the country they play the national anthem for.

I'd make them all drive under their official residence flags and play the Monaco national anthem at the end of every race.

Which to be fair is a pretty fun tune https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQVHSPi03XU

I agree.

But.

I'd do exactly the same thing.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Tyre choices for China are out and once more, Williams does complete opposite compared to Merc and Ferrari.

tomtom94

Is it.....wrong to wish Mosley was still around?
He was wrong on a number of issues (US 2005 springs to mind) but he foresaw the problems that were building with budgets and actually attempted to do something about it rather than ending up in the mess we're in now.

Then again, that might just be because Todt's election was a farce and his continued presence in the sport infuriates me.

xrnzaaas

Shit like this undermines society.

And astronomical taxes don't? ;)

Anyway it's probably not the right place to discuss such things. A lot of the famous drivers have "lived" in Monaco for years and it's not like it changed (for better or worse) in the last couple of years.

Mastah

So Australia wasn't one-off, Williams really nailed dem pitstops:

CfSgtKKWAAAy4D1.jpg:large

Zaru

So Australia wasn't one-off, Williams really nailed dem pitstops:

CfSgtKKWAAAy4D1.jpg:large

I feel like pit stops were overall terrible in Bahrain, but they did manage a few fast ones after all.

Williams does enough to sabotage itself, glad to know at least the "little guys" are trying their best.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
With all these complex energy harvesting and deployment systems, drivability is probably just as importance as raw power anyway.

Dilly

Banned
And astronomical taxes don't? ;)

Anyway it's probably not the right place to discuss such things. A lot of the famous drivers have "lived" in Monaco for years and it's not like it changed (for better or worse) in the last couple of years.

The middle class get austerity measures while the ridiculously rich park their money in fake companies because they can't live with the idea that they'd have to give a piece of their many millions to the state.

If you don't see the difference and what this leads to, further discussion is useless anyway.

Lego Boss

I really do not know why Bernie is still around F1, he should sell his stake several years ago and retire. Money shouldn't be big issue.

When he leaves, it's gonna be like Hussein in lraq. Huge power vacuum, no-one will know who's yanking each other's chain and it will unravel like single-ply bog-roll in a public toilet.

Wet, soggy, messy and in view of everyone else's pissing contest.

Bernie is bad, but be careful what you wish for.

Juicy Bob

Todt was a cunt at Ferrari and still the main reason why I still can't stand the team now. He's just as awful as FIA President.

I remember last year at the WEC race at Silverstone, waiting in line for the pit lane walk to start, Todt's car pulled up in the paddock. I booed him under my breath like a child. I felt very big and clever.

The Michelin incident at Indianapolis?

Aye, that's one of them. But I'm talking about years with less racing and more bullshit than we have now. I think people just have short memories... or perhaps it's just that it's all built up and a lot of us have just had enough now.

Aye, that's one of them. But I'm talking about years with less racing and more bullshit than we have now. I think people just have short memories... or perhaps it's just that it's all built up and a lot of us have just had enough now.

I definitely think the driving assists that were allowed during the V10 era (autopilot starts, TC, engine braking) werent good, but I think the 01, 03,05,06,07, and 08 seasons were spectacular for the sport, even with all the tyre mishaps, dirty politics and anti-Ferrari/Bridgestone stipulations.
I think my fave race was the one in Imola just after the Schumachers' mother passed away and Ralf and Michael went tooth and nails at it the first third of the race with the screachin' v10s.
I dont think Todt fundamentally understands or appreciates the spirit and theatricality of F1. I dont have that doubt about Max, even with all his baggage.

Hasney

Is it basically impossible to become a powerful/influential figure in world class motorsport without being a, for lack of a better word, huge dicker?

You could probably remove the motor part of that sentence. I mean, FIFA and the IOC are still around.

dubc35

Honda and Renault already ahead of 2015 Ferrari

Find it hard to believe, TBH, but it's Paddy Lowe.

I saw that as well, too bad for Toro Rosso as they seem to have a really good chassis.

...and now we go to aggregate qualifying? This is such a joke. The follow paragraph sounds like a Sniff Petrol article, lol:
“I think it is a vote yes, but to be honest we don't even know,” declared McLaren's Eric Boullier, while Ferrari's Maurizio Arrivabene said 'it doesn't sound that bad'. Claire Williams has also suggested her support by saying it seems a well-thought out idea.
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/229141/1/teams-signal-tentative-approval-for-new-qualifying-format.html

A well thought out idea? Really? smh

Speaking of Sniff, nice new quiz, lol
http://sniffpetrol.com/2016/04/05/could-you-run-f1/#.VwUNlUY5XXs

Fox Mulder

Actually maybe it's what we need.

+ Rewards consistency
+ More laps from drivers
- Bad luck can be very punishing...
+ ... which will probably lead to less predictable grids

And who are more likely to be consistent? Teams with good cars. Now getting up the grid doesn't require one spectacular lap for other teams, it requires two.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Mercedes pretending that all other teams have almost the same HP as they do, ok.
Mercedes still have the best qualifying engine maps/peak power but in race mode where engine has to last 5 races, I would guess the gap is far less as Lowe surmises.

One thing is I can't figure out how you can have a better Q map than race mode.
You are limited to 100g/fuel no matter if its Q or race or are they using far less than 100g in race conditions to keep within 100kg weight of fuel limits?

tomtom94

Decent negotiation skills apparently. My assumption is that someone on the FIA side was too dumb to put a time limit on it.
Decent negotiation skills and the fact that Red Bull and Mercedes wanted a slice of that pie for themselves rather than for it to be scrapped last time it was negotiated.

How about scrapping qualifying and replacing it with a 1 hour talent show where the drivers go round doing donuts and stuff, and maybe a musical number. After this, fans vote on which order the drivers deserve to line up on the grid. Then the order is reversed and the drivers line up in the opposite order to what fans wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom