• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Looks like it will be very interesting in 2nd half of Paris Eprix. Di Grassi is quite safely on the first place and there is a train behind

Zeknurn

All aboard the Vergne train.

It wasn't the most exciting race but it had some good moments especially some the overtakes done by Frijns and Da Costa.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Couldn't access GAF on my desktop for some reason.

Good race. Shame about the safety car at the end.

Mastah

Round 1 at Suzuka starts in a few minutes and I've found live stream :D It's a little bit choppy, but whatever, go Stoff!

3rd in his debut race, yeah!

TCRS

Banned
finally watched the race, great race by vettel

wtf kvyat lol. also what happened with malaysia?

ahahaha vettel having a go at kvyat

Business

It's kind of reassuring that Moto GP still has some fairly boring races, too.

MotoGP desperately needs another team that can win races other than the official Honda and Yamaha teams.

I still kinda enjoyed the race though, but today any entertainment to be found was on the live timing screen.

MotoGP desperately needs another team that can win races other than the official Honda and Yamaha teams.

I still kinda enjoyed the race though, but today any entertainment to be found was on the live timing screen.

I'm not following Moto GP that closely, but in terms of excitement it helps that the races are way shorter than the average Formula 1 race. Same goes for this race. It was over before it was able to really bore me, even with nearly zero action.

Jezbollah

It's kind of reassuring that Moto GP still has some fairly boring races, too.

It's a bit of a strange situation with MotoGP at the moment. Honda are having a bad time and their issues are affecting a number of their riders. Ducati and Suzuki are still a big upgrade or two from running with them. But when Marquez cannot grab the Honda by the scruff of the neck, Rossi and Lorenzo have way too much class to let anyone get near them.

Still way more legit racing and action in a MotoGP race than F1.

Zeknurn

Sky Sports: Williams' Pat Symonds: Mixed-up grids would force teams to address overtaking issues
However, the veteran technical chief reckons there is a way which would force teams to get to the bottom of the long-standing problem - some form of reverse grid race, where the quicker drivers automatically start further down the field.
"It would [help]. What you need is an incentive," said Symonds, Williams' chief technical officer.

"The incentive we have in all motorsport is try and put our car on pole and lead every lap of the race. That's what your design aim is. So you don't worry too much about running in turbulent air.

"Now, if you turn things round a little bit, and say 'no matter how good your car is, it's going to be running in turbulent air because we're going to put it in the middle of the grid', you might then say 'actually the best racing car I can make that will ultimately be the most successful over a season is one that is quick in nice clean air, but also works well in turbulent air'.

However, Symonds did acknowledge: "Unfortunately, being racing people, we'd also probably work on trying to destroy the aerodynamics of the car behind us!"

In regards to the prospects for more overtaking in 2017, the Briton admits "I'm sure we haven't made them better".

Asked if anything could now be changed for next season, Symonds added: "I think it's too late now.

He's right. I'd be up for introducing something as "unpure and un-F1" as reverse grids if it would mitigate the underlying problem with the formula.

RoKKeR

olore

Pretty interesting tidbits about Ferraris engine - charge coolers, jet tech etc

I found this exciting. Lo and behold, The Bern doesn´t

"The highly regulated and competitive nature of the sport has already seen the manufacturers exceed 45 percent thermal efficiency whilst exceeding the power attained with V8's, all while completing the same race distance on a third less fuel."

Shaneus

Man this is incredible. That kid sized Williams racing suit is so good. Ricciardo is a class dude.
Also looks like Massa Jr. has quite a bit of talent, too! But yeah, they all look like they get along really well. I think they all live in the same block of units in Monaco, yeah?

Mastah

I guess it confirms they think it will be a struggle to even score points this year, so they're squeezing as much external money as possible, while focusing on developing PU and 2017 car.

Cash from race drivers Palmer and Magnussen can't even give them full race weekend. They have super talented Ocon (on loan from Mercedes, but still) as a reserve driver, but also signed Latifi and Sirotkin for FP1 appearances.

I thought with Renault coming back things would be different, like they are at Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull and McLaren, but apparently they still operate like a cash-strapped team.

Meanwhile John Booth is back in F1 with Toro Rosso on "a consultancy basis in the role of Director of Racing":

http://www.scuderiatororosso.com/en_INT/article/john-booth-work-scuderia-toro-rosso

itsgreen

I guess it confirms they think it will be a struggle to even score points this year, so they're squeezing as much external money as possible, while focusing on developing PU and 2017 car.

Cash from race drivers Palmer and Magnussen can't even give them full race weekend. They have super talented Ocon (on loan from Mercedes, but still) as a reserve driver, but also signed Latifi and Sirotkin for FP1 appearances.

I thought with Renault coming back things would be different, like they are at Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull and McLaren, but apparently they still operate like a cash-strapped team.

It is widely known that 2016 is a transition year for the team... the team was running on empty last year and the car they developed was designed in large for Mercedes power...

Renault has dropped a boat load of money to hire new staff... 2017 should see them delivering more results...

itsgreen

Hmmm interesting..

Ex-Manor Marussia's John Booth will become Director of Racing at Toro Rosso

http://www.scuderiatororosso.com/en_INT/article/john-booth-work-scuderia-toro-rosso

Scuderia Toro Rosso is pleased to announce that, with immediate effect, John Booth will begin working with the team on a consultancy basis in the role of Director of Racing. The Englishman, who has wide ranging experience in all forms of motorsport, including Formula 1, will take up his responsibilities as from this weekend's Russian Grand Prix.

Zaru

That is one hell of a lap time increase and makes RBR a real threat on the grid. First and foremost to Ferrari, but also for the Mercs if they fuck up with a bad pit stop or a lousy start. Goddamn, an Adrian Newey car with a competitive engine, look the fuck out.

If both Ferrari and RBR are rumored to be able to get half a second of improvement in the near future, then I see no reason to believe that Mercedes won't as well.

frontieruk

If both Ferrari and RBR are rumored to be able to get half a second of improvement in the near future, then I see no reason to believe that Mercedes won't as well.

Except if you'd read the article posted not so long ago, you'd realise that Ferrari and Renault are moving to the tech the Mercedes are already running, it's an easy win to them, whereas Mercedes have got to find another way to advance their pace

Aiii

So not worth it
Rosberg is pretty much coasting at the front, no opponents, no need to put in hot laps, easy breezy. If they feel a bit of pressure, they just have the guy push a little and all is well in Merc world.

Zeknurn

@RacingLines: 2017 F1 Engine Regs still up in the air, hoping for fax vote by 30th...if at all
@RacingLines: To be clear: 2017 McLaren aero proposal as ratified by WMSC on 4/3 stays, so wider tyres/more downforce, cars SHOULD 5 secs faster

DieH@rd

Banned
So, is everyone ready for Ferrari's (Kimi) first win of the season?

:)

image.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom