• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 - Abu Dhabi GP 2016 |OT| No matter who wins, the race will end in fireworks

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBT85

My point is Lewis's last 3 races have been won with minimal effort, Rosberg being calculated hardly makes this an undeserved Title. Let's face it Lewis is one of the GOAT in F1 and the fact Nico is leading after this long season shows how good he is.

We all complained when Webber was being spanked by Vettel so I think Nico deserves his title.

Nico being ahead by a mere 12 points after all the engine problems Hamilton had proves Nico is good enough to WDC?

No, being complacent would be losing many places at the start of races because you didn't bother to learn and practice the starting procedure. Rosberg is doing exactly what he needs to do, which is to maintain reliability and finish races.

Ahh were still going with "It's all Lewis' fault because he's dumb and spends too much time making shit music and wearing shit clothes".

His starts cost him about the same amount of points as the engine problems, about 30 each. In fact, it might be more because he lost 25 from Malaysia alone.

Lewis just getting 5 more points this season would have made this a fun finale.

EdIT: my sums after the last race.

Aus he was on pole, was 6th by the end of the 1st lap and finished 2nd, so max 7 points lost.
Bah he was on pole, was 7th by the end of the 1st lap and finished 3rd, so max 10 points lost.
Ita he was on pole, was 6th by the end of the 1st lap and finished 2nd, so max 7 points lost.
Jpn he was P2 (I think), was about 8th by the end of 1st lap, and finished 3rd, so max 10 points lost.

Assuming he converts his starts to wins, 34 points, assuming he just maintains position, (3 wins, 1 2nd) then 27 points.

Aus start was shite, he was 3rd by the first corner behind Rosberg. Vettel stormed away from the line to get 1st by the 1st corner. Half way round the next corner Hamilton had lost a further 3 places because he'd had to back out of the throttle.

In Bahrain, his start led to him being the one to get tagged by Bottas which cost him places. The start itself just meant he was behind Rosberg.

In Canada Vettel got the jump on them both again, but Rosberg lost out when Hamilton pushed him wide at t1/t2.

In Italy his start was just dreadful, probably 6th before they hit Eau Rouge.

In Japan his start was also awful.

Rosberg has had similarly bad starts in a couple of races.

In contrast, Lewis was in 1st in Malaysia when his engine popped. Identical failures during Quali in China and Russia made him have to start from 22nd (finished 7th) and 10th (finished 2nd) respectively.
At Spa because of the engine failures in earlier races he had to start from the back of the grid and finished in 3rd.

So, assuming he wins Malaysia, comes 2nd in China, Russia and Spa, he gets 40 extra points.
If he wins all 4, it's 61 points.

jey_16

Banned
Nico being ahead by a mere 12 points after all the engine problems Hamilton had proves Nico is good enough to WDC?

Ahh were still going with "It's all Lewis' fault because he's dumb and spends too much time making shit music and wearing shit clothes".

His starts cost him about the same amount of points as the engine problems, about 30 each. In fact, it might be more because he lost 25 from Malaysia alone.

who cares if he is good enough to be WDC, either he is the champion or he isn't at the end of the race tomorrow.

a lot of championships have been decided by luck and reliability in the past, that's the way the sport works. If you cant deal with it, dont watch it

still fully expecting Rosberg's engine to blow tomorrow and Hamilton to cruise to the championship

spuckthew

No, being complacent would be losing many places at the start of races because you didn't bother to learn and practice the starting procedure. Rosberg is doing exactly what he needs to do, which is to maintain reliability and finish races.

I highly doubt Hamilton "didn't bother to learn and practice the starting procedure". Why is Rosberg perceived to be a more intelligent and learned driver? Rosberg fucked up two starts himself anyway.

I hope Rosberg finishes fourth due to being bad, because then we can say that he should have worked harder for a win in a previous race.

Ignoring the fact he has been cruising the last 3 races (and will no doubt do that tomorrow) Nico did have some issues as well, his poor setup in Monaco, the Austria incident, penalty at Germany and Mercedes messing up time penalty, got hit in the first corner in a race by Vettel. Also sometime Lewis gets lucky as well (Spa in particular). Lewis pushed Rosberg off the track in T1 at Canada aswell

It doesn't even things up that is a fair sentence but yes him being 12 points infront proves he is, also this isn't the first time the battle between both went to the last race.

Patrick S.

Banned
My earliest memories of watching motorsports is watching Stefan Bellof die :(

I'll never forget it. He was the best driver of his time, and he was from a place only half an hour away from me.

There's a cool Museum near Gießen with lots of cool stuff from the last decades, including a section dedicated to him, where they have some interesting things on display, like the front section of one of his racing Porsches.

DBT85

who cares if he is good enough to be WDC, either he is the champion or he isn't at the end of the race tomorrow.

a lot of championships have been decided by luck and reliability in the past, that's the way the sport works. If you cant deal with it, dont watch it

Reliability making a Ferrari win versus a Mclaren is one thing, in a team it will usually balance out as they both have the same machinery. Nico is going to win this years title simply because his car didn't explode. I'd like a bit more from a champion is all. I think I can deal with it as I've been watching for 24 years lol.

Ignoring the fact he has been cruising the last 3 races (and will no doubt do that tomorrow) Nico did have some issues as well, his poor setup in Monaco His problem, the Austria incident (Nico not turning his steering wheel?), penalty at Germany (Nico not turning his steering wheel again?) and Mercedes messing up time penalty, got hit in the first corner in a race by Vettel. Also sometime Lewis gets lucky as well (Spa in particular). Lewis pushed Rosberg off the track in T1 at Canada aswell

It doesn't even things up that is a fair sentence but yes him being 12 points infront proves he is, also this isn't the first time the battle between both went to the last race.

I never said Nico wasn't a good driver. He's fast and he's consistent. I just don't think that deserve a WDC.

People were saying earlier in the year that he'd stepped his game up which is why he was ahead. He was just as good as the previous two years. Consistent and fast.

He'll win and he'll become a WDC and that's all history will record. Against anyone other than Lewis he'd probably have done it by being a comparative beast and we'd all (me included) be saying he was fully deserving of it.

Spades

I'm so sick of hearing this BS. Anyone who wins a WDC is good enough/deserves to win it.

If Nico was as shit as the majority of the Hamilton massive make out, then Lewis' WDCs with Mercedes have all been "lucky" by virtue of him being in a far superior car than anything else on the grid and having a team-mate who just isn't good enough to win a WDC.

Zeknurn

Oh god that was close. A mechanic just followed a rolling tyre in front of a car in the pitlane. The driver managed to stop in time.

This is why you check both ways before crossing.

"All" the engine problems? He had engine problems in one race unless I'm missing something.

Point is, if Nico does win he has done so deservedly and to go against one of the best of all time and beat him fair and square just shows how hard he had to work to get there. People shouldn't be salty, you can make a case for every fucking WDC winner ever being lucky on top of being good. And Nico was definitely good.

FuturusX

"All" the engine problems? He had engine problems in one race unless I'm missing something.

Point is, if Nico does win he has done so deservedly and to go against one of the best of all time and beat him fair and square just shows how hard he had to work to get there. People shouldn't be salty, you can make a case for every fucking WDC winner ever being lucky on top of being good. And Nico was definitely good.

Engine problems in one race? How can one take your comments seriously when you are not aware of the basic facts.

Hasney

I don't know how to look it up but during practice Kravitz said that Rosberg's power unit elements all have more mileage on them.

Yup, they also mentioned the last couple of races that he's had his engine turned down just to save it.

DBT85

His engine exploded in 2 quali sessions forcing him to start from the back in one and 10th in the other, it exploded in Malaysia from first place, and as a result of all that he had to start from the back in Spa too.

I genuinely can't compute people saying that Nico has beat Lewis fair and square.

I should have been clearer, he had to leave the race because of engine problems one time. He didn't score because of engine issues one time this year, Nico didn't score because of car issues 5 fucking times in the past 2 years. It's just the way it goes.

From the results it looks like Lewis had 3 DNF in 2014 to Nicos 2, Lewis had 1 in 2015 to Nicos 2, and it's been Nico 1 Lewis 2 this season too.

I genuinely can't compute people saying that Nico has beat Lewis fair and square.

Because he has. Luck is part of winning, Lewis has been lucky in the past 2 WDC and he was one Timo Glock away from losing another. He hasn't been cheated, he had bad luck. It fucking happens. Constantly denying it due to some arbitrary "not fair, not fair" bullshit is just unsportsmanlike.

Massa

EdIT: my sums after the last race.

Lewis definitely made mistakes, as did Rosberg. I'm not the one unwilling to accept the merits of the leader of the championship.

DBT85

Because he has. Luck is part of winning, Lewis has been lucky in the past 2 WDC and he was one Timo Glock away from losing another. He hasn't been cheated, he had bad luck. It fucking happens. Constantly denying it due to some arbitrary "not fair, not fair" bullshit is just unsportsmanlike.

Ok.

I cant be arsed anymore.

Nico is the deserving champion, he has beaten his teammate fair and square.

Lego Boss

I'm so sick of hearing this BS. Anyone who wins a WDC is good enough/deserves to win it.

If Nico was as shit as the majority of the Hamilton massive make out, then Lewis' WDCs with Mercedes have all been "lucky" by virtue of him being in a far superior car than anything else on the grid and having a team-mate who just isn't good enough to win a WDC.

Apart from the fact he is the only driver on the grid to win titles with two different teams, making your argument at best unreliable and at worst invalid.

Fox Mulder

His dad won the title with one win. Doesn't matter what people think if the points make him the champion at the end of the season.

Reliability is part of the sport, sucks for lewis.

FuturusX

For Nico the perception has been that he has been handed the championship due to the technical problems Lewis has suffered. Fair or not that's the deal. Nico has been far too conservative in the last 4 races, he had a margin of error to clear away the doubts but instead he's done just enough. A win would have put some of the doubts to rest.

Lewis for his part, contributed to his issues with those poor starts. When Nico is crowned champion that will also be a factor in why he missed out on his 4th.

Having said that Nico has driven well when he needed to. You get the most points you win the championship, that's all you can do. I would like to see race wins supersede total points however, which I feel would counter the reliance on reliability that total points appears to favour.

dalin80

Banned

If these were specs cars with 100% reliability then absolutely. As is? No, there are a number of WDC winners who would never have been otherwise.

FuturusX

Perfect senario. Rosberg puncture on first lap drops to last and has to make his way through the field to get a podium for the championship. That would go some way to making the final race exciting, and allowing Rosberg to answer his critics. A DNF formRosberg would be cruel...he does not deserve that.

I don't even want to imagine the shit storm if they collide and only one of them retires.

I can see Hamilton having a bad start, Nico taking a slight lead going into first corner trying to squeeze hamilton. Hamilton not giving an inch and they both collide.

Keep in mind Nico doesn't need to win the race. He can cruise to a 2nd or 3rd. He may let Lewis take the win so he can secure the WDC without incident.

Nico should have the WDC in the bag unless

1. he goes for the win
2. mechanical faillure

malyce

I should have been clearer, he had to leave the race because of engine problems one time. He didn't score because of engine issues one time this year, Nico didn't score because of car issues 5 fucking times in the past 2 years. It's just the way it goes.

I mean, if you're gonna argue facts, please come correct. Even when you moved the goal posts to include Nico's bad luck from the past 2 years, you still come out looking silly as Lewis has been plagued with more car issues in both qualifying and race than Nico during the same time frame. Are you new to f1? Are we watching different seasons?

On another note.. bye Button. Great guy off track, but he's a trash driver.

Par Score

Lewis should know the only chance to win the WDC is if Nico has some serious issue during the race.

It's potentially the last race of Merc's dominance with the big rules shakeup, so if he wants to be a 4 time WDC the smartest thing for him to do is to try to take Nico out while surviving the incident himself.

Probably the best bet is at the start, make some move that pushes Nico into somebody else. Of course that's the highest risk too.

It won't happen, but there's always hope.

Lewis should know the only chance to win the WDC is if Nico has some serious issue during the race.

It's potentially the last race of Merc's dominance with the big rules shakeup, so if he wants to be a 4 time WDC the smartest thing for him to do is to try to take Nico out while surviving the incident himself.

Probably the best bet is at the start, make some move that pushes Nico into somebody else. Of course that's the highest risk too.

Mercedes will need to make a monumental fuck up to not be up there next season, RBR are favorites but the Merc engineers are incredible as well.

Fox Mulder

Nobody will do that shit today. Taking out your competition to win a title has always been a scumbag move, but we live in a social media world.

Hamilton can back Rosberg into the field, as Nico will be conservative and the other guys have nothing to lose. Mercs might even have engines turned down to ensure both finish. Redbull will be wanting to push.

I mean, if you're gonna argue facts, please come correct. Even when you moved the goal posts to include Nico's bad luck from the past 2 years, you still come out looking silly as Lewis has been plagued with more car issues in both qualifying and race than Nico during the same time frame. Are you new to f1? Are we watching different seasons?

Can you dispute the information that in those 2 years Nico didn't finish 5 races due to car issues and it happened less often with Lewis? And that wasn't even my point, which was that being somewhat lucky is part of winning. In any sport. If not, why even have any competition? Just give the award to whoever random NeoGAF posters think should win.

Was this championship fixed? Did anyone cheat? Did someone Schumachered someone out of the race? If not, then Nico is the deserving champion if he wins. That's it. That is what I mean. But sure it's easier to nitpick something that I said to imply I'm ignorant, we're on the motherfucking internet after all so what the fuck is politeness.

That's an incredibly daft thing to do with an open-wheel car. You have no guarantee you are not going to receive terminal damage yourself.
Also if he tries to do that I am sure the FIA will bring the hammer down like they did to Schumacher in 1997 for trying to pull shit like that.
The only smart thing to do here is drive a good race, win and hope Rosberg hits trouble.

malyce

He never had the same natural kind of talent on the level of Hamilton, but he's still a great driver, and of course a world champion. And then you have this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6Iaz1-8VC0

Ahh.. this. I don't think this race does as much good for Button as his fans think. His whole career is basically being summed up in a single race on which he got on the right tires at just the right time. There are tons of videos of great moments or crazy highlights of races of Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel, Kimi.. I mean shit, Max is only 2 seasons in and has more memorable highlights in his short career than Jenson has in 17 years. 17 years in F1 with a WDC and only one memorable race to show for it.

Nah, he's trash.

Can you dispute the information that in those 2 years Nico didn't finish 5 races due to car issues and it happened less often with Lewis? And that wasn't even my point, which was that being somewhat lucky is part of winning. In any sport. If not, why even have any competition? Just give the award to whoever random NeoGAF posters think should win.

Was this championship fixed? Did anyone cheat? Did someone Schumachered someone out of the race? If not, then Nico is the deserving champion if he wins. That's it. That is what I mean. But sure it's easier to nitpick something that I said to imply I'm ignorant, we're on the motherfucking internet after all so what the fuck is politeness.

And he's actually doubling down on his ignorance..

Mechanical DNFs per driver from 2014:

Lewis
2014: AUS | CAN
2015: SIN
2016: MAL

Nico:
2014: GBR | SIN
2015: RUS
2016: -

Nico has had not 5, but 3 mechanical DNFs to Lewis' 4.

I have not missed a single F1 race since 2010. I've watched all of these races. These are hard facts. Again.. Are you new to F1?

Ahh.. this. I don't think this race does as much good for Button as his fans think. His whole career is basically being summed up in a single race on which he got on the right tires at just the right time. There are tons of videos of great moments or crazy highlights of races of Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel, Kimi.. I mean shit, Max is only 2 seasons in and has more memorable highlights in his short career than Jenson has in 17 years. 17 years in F1 with a WDC and only one memorable race to show for it.

Nah, he's trash.

Dude are you for real? Taki Inoue was trash. Button was a good driver. Not GOAT material but pretty good none the less.
He won a world champion,beat world champion teammates and won lots of races which means he achieved more than 99.9% of F1 drivers ever will ever do but none of it counts apparently because he doesn't have the crazy youtube highlights you are looking for.

Lego Boss

Nah, he's trash.

And he's actually doubling down on his ignorance..

Mechanical DNFs per driver from 2014:

Lewis
2014: AUS | CAN
2015: SIN
2016: MAL

Nico:
2014: GBR | SIN
2015: RUS
2016: -

Nico has had not 5, but 3 mechanical DNFs to Lewis' 4.

I have not missed a single F1 race since 2010. I've watched all of these races. These are hard facts. Again.. Are you new to F1?

Fucking lol. Your posting is the only trash thing here.

malyce

Dude are you for real? Taki Inoue was trash. Button was a good driver. Not GOAT material but pretty good none the less.
He won a world champion,beat world champion teammates and won lots of races which means he achieved more than 99.9% of F1 drivers ever will ever do but none of it counts apparently because he doesn't have the crazy youtube highlights you are looking for.

Smh.. besides Canada 2011, name one other Button race/pass/maneuver that stands out to you? Dude is easily one of the weakest WDCs who just lucked into the right car. If he spent less time whining every weekend while his teammates simply drove the fucking car, I'd have a bit more respect for him as a driver.

Fucking lol. Your posting is the only trash thing here.

[Yeezy]Ooooooooooooh dey so sensitiiiive[/Yeezy]

Pipe down. No animals were hurt during the typing of my posts.

I thought I prefaced this by saying "Button is a cool guy off track" or something of that nature in one of my previous posts no?

Maybe I should edit it a bit that you may feel better:

As a driver, I think Button is trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom