• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 |OT| uozoH zo

The thing to remember about the AI is that physics don't apply to them only you. No way could the game render the same physics calculations to all AI drivatars. Because of this they have perfect grip, perfect cornering and perfect braking. You'll never see one get a corner wrong unless it's avoiding a slow AI car. They'll never spin out because they spun their wheels up going into a corner and they never overshoot a corner because they locked their brakes up. It also means that cross country races are significantly harder because they never suffer from bad contact with the surface unlike the player. Really to play FH3 everyone should play with all driving aids on (like the AI has) and simply choose the right difficulty level.
But who wants that?

Isn't it the idea that on the top couple of drivatar difficulties you are supposed to be upgrading / tuning your cars to properly compete with them?

Not saying the drivatards are great but I though that was the general rule of practice.

Cheddahz

Banned
hey! so i finally got the game last night (thanks to the target glitch) and i quoted the op and couldn't find the spreadsheet for the club anywhere. should i just tried to join forzagaf then?

i was in the car club for horizon 2, but i figured i would need to sign up again

rrs

I've seen some of the AI smack into things on goliath, but AI does seem to have limited physics applied
Isn't it the idea that on the top couple of drivatar difficulties you are supposed to be upgrading / tuning your cars to properly compete with them?

Not saying the drivatards are great but I though that was the general rule of practice.
the AI have PI matched machines, so you have to get the best balanced machine for the track to not be left for dead by the AI

strata8

The thing to remember about the AI is that physics don't apply to them only you. No way could the game render the same physics calculations to all AI drivatars. Because of this they have perfect grip, perfect cornering and perfect braking. You'll never see one get a corner wrong unless it's avoiding a slow AI car. They'll never spin out because they spun their wheels up going into a corner and they never overshoot a corner because they locked their brakes up. It also means that cross country races are significantly harder because they never suffer from bad contact with the surface unlike the player. Really to play FH3 everyone should play with all driving aids on (like the AI has) and simply choose the right difficulty level.
But who wants that?

AI cars can spin out, see this video:

https://youtu.be/2emg0D6aOpk?t=6m22s

Noobcraft

hey! so i finally got the game last night (thanks to the target glitch) and i quoted the op and couldn't find the spreadsheet for the club anywhere. should i just tried to join forzagaf then?

i was in the car club for horizon 2, but i figured i would need to sign up again
Quote for the spreadsheet link.

terrible

Banned
In FM6, there was a set of challenges where you challenge the Stig. If you put it on unbeatable, it was exactly that. The Stig would legitimately beat the fastest times on the leaderboards with an unmodified car.

Usually the AI stays competitive with you which is why the lap times you saw in that race look like they do. If you really want to blow them away you have to use a superior car.

Some say he isn't bound by the laws of physics.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Groove is basically busted for everyone, even the ones who have it working say it is wonky at best.

Yup.

There's times when it will start a new song then immediately go back to playing the last few seconds of the song that just played.

Spasm

Yup.

There's times when it will start a new song then immediately go back to playing the last few seconds of the song that just played.

Sometimes, it'll just loop 10-15 seconds of a song over and over till I stop it.

On PC, the 'festival effect' doesn't work. Bums me out.

Edit: Also, I wish the Forza Groove player had a normalize feature. I don't want to normalize my whole collection, but it'd be nice if it did it just for the game. My levels are all over the place.

Fox Mulder

Does this game scratch the Test Drive Unlimited itch?

Kind of.

Tdu was online always with other players flying by you while horizon isn't. Tdu also had a bigger map and more diverse objectives. You don't even have to win races to progress in this game.

Horizon is an amazing series, it just lacks something for me that made TDU special.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Bucket List Challenge #23 has been my favorite thus far. Really, really challenging, and EVERY second counts. At first glance, I thought it would be pretty easy. Boy, was I wrong.

Loving this game!

Tecnniqe

Banned
God this game is fantastic. Picked it up for only $26AU thanks to the Target error so I bought the treasure map. Fuck it.

My biggest gripe with the game is that it doesn't really send a great political message to its gamers. Australia isn't as great as this game makes it seem.

It may not be the Australia we deserve, but Its the Australia we need.

Why does people feel games having to be about politics or politically correct? Can't we all just have fun and forget about this fucked up planet we're on at a daily basis?

etta

my hard graphic balls
I mostly just can't believe it doesn't support FLAC. I will whine about this until they add it.
Well, one, the game is streaming it from the cloud and not playing it from a local source, and two, it plays it through the game's engine which probably further adds some compression.
So do you really want FLAC?

GHG

Shh, let them have their soapbox.

What are you trying to achieve with a post like this?

Anyway, came across this in one of my races yesterday:

countachhep6suy.jpg

Lambo Countach Horizon Edition. I want one.

terrible

Banned
Well, one, the game is streaming it from the cloud and not playing it from a local source, and two, it plays it through the game's engine which probably further adds some compression.
So do you really want FLAC?

From a sound quality standpoint I agree it doesn't matter since the end result will be a compressed mess anyway but that's not why I want FLAC support. I want it because the majority of my collection is FLAC since I use EAC to rip all my CDs to FLAC.

Daffy Duck

Am i doing it wrong?

I use my BRZ horizon car on Goliath and get like 95k XP for the single lap event, is that good going?

Also does XP earned in a race increase the XP you get at the end of the race?

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
The AI has fucked up plenty in my game, spinning out and sliding wide through corners.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You know, I've spent dozens of hours in the last two games but got bored of them once I hit the supercar class, but stepping into this game is like a nice comforting feeling of coming home. Having a new map to just drive around and chill is nice.

Am i doing it wrong?

I use my BRZ horizon car on Goliath and get like 95k XP for the single lap event, is that good going?

Also does XP earned in a race increase the XP you get at the end of the race?
Yes and yes. 95k is pretty decent for the one 10 minute race, and skills increase your XP at the end of the race.

zorbsie

32 championships in and I'm really getting tired of starting in 8th every time. I know there is a perk to start me in first but, come on now. Most of the problems I have with the AI racers would be solved/lessened by not always being in the back of the pack fighting for positions as I work my way up to the top 3.

I suggested qualifying laps in FM, although I can see that becoming a bit of chore 200 races in. But at least it would be an option. If I skip it, put me in the back. At least give me a chance.

Qualifying wouldn't work in FH3, it just doesn't fit in with the vibe of the game. But if I won the last two races in a championship, why am I starting in 8th again? They could make my starting position based on the championship points so far or even as simple as finishing position of the last race. I wouldn't even say no to a PI based starting position. That would still keep me out of 8th in most cases. At this point I would be happy with a random starting position.

Sorry for the rant. I really hope they fix this for FM7.

Dubz

Motherfucker... Just did a drift challenge I have been trying for awhile and got 49,744.

I needed 50,000. Kill me.

I can't get to 25,000 on the drift challenge I'm working on. Not even close. Does anyone have a good drift instructional video, because I am ass at drifting.

louiedog

Woo! Finally got a HE edition at level 77. The Fort GT XP Boost car.

edit. Er, credits boost. Wheel said one thing, garage says another.

tuna_love

Banned
I can't get to 25,000 on the drift challenge I'm working on. Not even close. Does anyone have a good drift instructional video, because I am ass at drifting.

just take a car, make it awd, upgrade the shit out of the engine and turn off traction control

So I've been playing racing games most of my life and yesterday I was playing this and I was having huge problems with this one race in Surfer's. Tons of tight turns and I just kept losing ground at each one.

So, the way I've always played racing games is when I reach the corner, I hold down the brake and then let go when it's time to exit. This time, however, I decided to tap the brake several times at the apex instead of holding it down.

I swear I shaved like SECONDS off each corner doing it this way. Is this how everyone just naturally knows how to play racing games or am I just doing some weird thing that only happens to work for me?

Also, I'm playing auto not manual, controller not wheel.

The "Throw your weight around" achievement can jog on until i get further and unlock more drift zones. I was close to getting the "Throw your controller around" achievement i was getting so frustrated.

tuna_love

Banned
So I've been playing racing games most of my life and yesterday I was playing this and I was having huge problems with this one race in Surfer's. Tons of tight turns and I just kept losing ground at each one.

So, the way I've always played racing games is when I reach the corner, I hold down the brake and then let go when it's time to exit. This time, however, I decided to tap the brake several times at the apex instead of holding it down.

I swear I shaved like SECONDS off each corner doing it this way. Is this how everyone just naturally knows how to play racing games or am I just doing some weird thing that only happens to work for me?

Also, I'm playing auto not manual, controller not wheel.

you can just not press brake as hard

Branson

32 championships in and I'm really getting tired of starting in 8th every time. I know there is a perk to start me in first but, come on now. Most of the problems I have with the AI racers would be solved/lessened by not always being in the back of the pack fighting for positions as I work my way up to the top 3.

I suggested qualifying laps in FM, although I can see that becoming a bit of chore 200 races in. But at least it would be an option. If I skip it, put me in the back. At least give me a chance.

Qualifying wouldn't work in FH3, it just doesn't fit in with the vibe of the game. But if I won the last two races in a championship, why am I starting in 8th again? They could make my starting position based on the championship points so far or even as simple as finishing position of the last race. I wouldn't even say no to a PI based starting position. That would still keep me out of 8th in most cases. At this point I would be happy with a random starting position.

Sorry for the rant. I really hope they fix this for FM7.

It's not a rant. It's an annoying problem with a lot of these types of racing games. It doesn't really capture (even the fake/arcade ones like this) the spirit of certain racing aspects. You should be able to qualify or be chosen a random number each race. If this was a real festival you should have some sort of way to set the field for the race. It's a basic thing.

Hell even Mario Kart has a field set by the last race except for the first race of a championship.

Game is great but I don't like how everything is levelled to me all the time. It makes buying new cars or upgrading feel a bit pointless. There's no real sense of progression. Even convoy cars level to the player. I'm flat out in a Hurican and there's a little Clio Williams stuck to my back bumper!

Daffy Duck

This Goliath race is hilarious at 97k XP a go, along with the wheel spins, I've done a few races and gone from 34 to 60 in a matter of about 1 hour.

I had my first real "zen-moment" with the game! :D I was driving one of the top-most outback point-to-point races through the canyon with the river in a buggy during sunset while this was blasting out of Future Classic Radio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEAaDQDcSjw

and I just smiled from ear to ear, it was so much fun, the sense of speed, the scenery, the sunset and the music, the water splashing on my windshield, it was one of these special gaming moments! :) Even with all the technical problems I'm really happy I bought the PC version.

legbone

Ok, I did it. I turned off traction control and abs. steering is normal and i'm using an automatic but other than that all assists are off and no racing line (i had no racing line from the beginning). almost every forza game i start with tcs and abs on and then as i adjust to the handling i turn them off (abs first usually). i am free. level 27. took me a while but i am pretty much assist free. feels good.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Yep. Not sure if it'll show in the gif below, I'm driving full speed but look at the AI in the minimap — he's blazing through, can hardly catch up to him.

ezgif-73311507vxzvc.gif

FH3 is my first experience with drivatar. Definitely the last. This is the major complaint I have against the game and is stopping it from being my all time favorite racer. Racing is just not fun.

Lower the difficulty?

AcridMeat

Banned
lol

I guess
You're effectively mimicking what ABS is supposed to do, braking in increments to let the wheels move and not lock up.

It depends on the entry speed into a corner but it can certainly be beneficial as you're free to get back on the throttle quicker and have less risk of overbraking.

Top Bottom