• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

Witchfinder General said:
Wait, I was "gifted" the "Season's greetings" car only to find out I have to pay money to download it as part of the Holiday Cars pack?

Is this some kind of a joke, Turn10?

You want me to pay money for a "gift"?

This is despicable.

I bought the game but you will not get one more red cent out of me. No DLC, nor Forza 4, nothing.

Pathetic.

The car Season's Greetings car is a GT-R, which was part of the DLC, so yes you need to have the DLC to access the GT-R. IDK if the free Audi S4 allows you to unlock it.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
ExtraKr1spy said:
The car Season's Greetings car is a GT-R, which was part of the DLC, so yes you need to have the DLC to access the GT-R. IDK if the free Audi S4 allows you to unlock it.

I downloaded the free Audi thinking that was what I needed to do. Nope. When I highlight the gifted car it goes straight to the "purchase this car pack with moon money" screen.

G Rom

Well, the holiday car is the GT-R Spec-V which is part of the first DLC, you didn't think that they'd let you have it for free when some have paid for it, did you ?!:lol

And your "no DLC, no Forza 4" made me laugh. So before that, you were willing to buy the DLC but now that you can basically get a car of the first pack for free in the game, you won't get it. :lol

So I am very interested in picking this up but can somebody tell me how the online is? Early on I read complaints about different aspects of it. Is the online populated? Have bugs been worked out?

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
G Rom said:
Well, the holiday car is the GT-R Spec-V which is part of the first DLC, you didn't think that they'd let you have it for free when some have paid for it, did you ?!:lol

And your "no DLC, no Forza 4" made me laugh. So before that, you were willing to buy the DLC but now that you can basically get a car of the first pack for free in the game, you won't get it. :lol

Buying DLC doesn't offend me in the slightest but what raises my hackles is when a company deigns to send me a present in the Christmas spirit the last thing I would want is a bill.

Perhaps you don't understand the meaning of the word 'gift'. If on Christmas when you open your gifts you don't mind shelling out cash for each one you received then more power to you. Thankfully I'm not a chump.

I downloaded the free Audi thinking that was what I needed to do. Nope. When I highlight the gifted car it goes straight to the "purchase this car pack with moon money" screen.

Kind of obvious no?

skyfinch

G Rom said:

The holiday "gift" that Turn10 handed out is for gold members only. So, even though I bought the DLC, I can't receive the gift car. Too bad. That was a kick ass design.

Ding

Iknos said:
If you don't mind answering I'm wondering how long it took for you to get it after you got the email that said they will send it. I got an email on the 7th saying it will be shipped and I should get it in about a week. Still don't got it. Nearly 2 weeks now.

I didn't pay super close attention, but I believe I've been receiving items 7-10 days after receiving the associated "It Shall be Shipped" email. (It's actually far less time than that. See below.) I'm only 300 or so miles north of their shipping location, so they probably cut my wait.

I did get tracking numbers for all three shipments, however. Have you not? In my mind, that may indicate a problem of some sort. Heck, lemme get you some firm dates....

-My first "Will be shipped" email arrived on Dec. 1st
-I received a UPS ship notification on Dec 2nd. (Wow. I thought it took longer than that.)
-I received that first shipment on the 4th.

-The second "will be shipped" email arrived on the 11th.
-The second tracking number arrived also on the 11th.
-The second shipment was delivered on the 15th.

-The final "will be shipped" email showed up on the 18th.
-The tracking info came on the 21st. (I think. This one wasn't shipped by ENDOR, like the first two. Perhaps the pedal mounting plate was drop-shipped from a different location?)
-It's apparently waiting for me right now at home. (Woot!)

Iknos said:
Wow. Sounds like a pain. I plan to make a little table for the shifter that will sit beside the "cockpit" so I can move it to the right and left side when I want to. I may have to buy a longer PS/2 cable.
That oughta work. Perhaps you could buy an inexpensive step stool. Mounting these shifters would be somewhat easier if I wanted to make it more-or-less permanent. I could just use foam tape or something. But I'd prefer to rig something so I can swap the two shifters without any drama or tools.

I did email Fanatec to ask them what they thought. I haven't heard anything back yet. I'm now thinking that I should buy their "Clubsport Table Clamp", and just use that fork shaped piece, somehow mounted to my cockpit.

Iknos said:
Yeah I'd do that...check if everything is working first that way if something needs to be sent back you can do it ASAP.
Yes, I really should do that. But I haven't. :lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
SimpleDesign said:
Why wasn't the GT-R Spec-V included on the install disk or something?
Nissan needed to open up the license/give them permission for the SpecV or something before they could include it, so it arrived as DLC. They waited out for the SpecV version.

Jube3

LovingSteam said:
So I am very interested in picking this up but can somebody tell me how the online is? Early on I read complaints about different aspects of it. Is the online populated? Have bugs been worked out?

The online is populated and works great. The custom lobbies were replaced with matchmaking a la COD/halo. Its great for in an out sessions, you can hop in and do an A Class race or pick a Virus tag session and it matches you up. If you plan on getting serious down the road or right away I would definitely look into a racing league that way you gain access to lots of pro setup private lobbies for some that extra competition.

adelante

Buying DLC doesn't offend me in the slightest but what raises my hackles is when a company deigns to send me a present in the Christmas spirit the last thing I would want is a bill.

Perhaps you don't understand the meaning of the word 'gift'. If on Christmas when you open your gifts you don't mind shelling out cash for each one you received then more power to you. Thankfully I'm not a chump.
You're able to use the car in single races and online multi, leaving you the option to earn it in career mode, yes? If so, the gift works exactly how it should.

Edit: I realized that by moon money you meant Microsoft spacebux, not Forza credits, my bad

Iknos

Ding said:
I did get tracking numbers for all three shipments, however. Have you not? In my mind, that may indicate a problem of some sort. Heck, lemme get you some firm dates....

Thanks for the info. I just got mine and my dates are...

Ordered Oct 23.
Got email Dec 7th saying it will be shipped and should arrive in a week.
Arrived on Dec 23rd.

Hopefully this also helps those wondering about the sort of wait they can expect.

I'm getting some clicking noises intermittently after playing for a few hours...don't know if it's a big problem yet.

Wait, I was "gifted" the "Season's greetings" car only to find out I have to pay money to download it as part of the Holiday Cars pack?

Is this some kind of a joke, Turn10?

You want me to pay money for a "gift"?

This is despicable.

I bought the game but you will not get one more red cent out of me. No DLC, nor Forza 4, nothing.

Pathetic.

Really, you are bitching about free stuff? So people that bought DLC should not get any gift cars because YOU don't want to pay for DLC.

SmokyDave

I must admit it was a bit strange to receive a gift I couldn't use. I expected it to tell me I could download it at a later date but it just drops it into my garage with a padlock on it!

enzo_gt said:
Nissan needed to open up the license/give them permission for the SpecV or something before they could include it, so it arrived as DLC. They waited out for the SpecV version.

It's the same Spec V version that was in NFS: Shift, released 5 weeks before Forza 3 hit the shelves.

erahk64

Iknos said:
I'm getting some clicking noises intermittently after playing for a few hours...don't know if it's a big problem yet.

Does the clicking noise occur when you turn the wheel or doing something else?
There are fans inside the wheel which start running when the temperature goes up.
Maybe the fans are hitting some cable.
I have seen people mentioning in posts that they moved some cable that was hitting a fan.

Beating an old horse with a stick but all week I been playing over the single player part of the game as I had nothing else to do and while some of the races can be long and boring the core gameplay is so hot, I just randomly went to any car, tuned it to a class and race instead of thinking "right, S class championship, better get the best S class I can" so I been using a mix of cars, and in the R3 champs I been using that ultra sexy white racing beemer instead of the FXX :D

Has the online portion of the game adjusted any since I last played? Only just got our internet fixed today due to a weak line connection out in the street so I been rather out of loop for a week+ now.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Diablohead said:
Has the online portion of the game adjusted any since I last played? Only just got our internet fixed today due to a weak line connection out in the street so I been rather out of loop for a week+ now.
Here:
cjelly said:
Forza Motorsport 3 Title Update This Week:

A new auto update cometh in time for Christmas. Sometime next week, you’ll be prompted by Xbox LIVE to update your version of Forza 3. Lots of little things on the backend getting tweaked this time, but here are some of the bigger fixes a number of you may care about:

* Adds the new custom Time Trials feature to scoreboards, allowing Turn 10 to set up unique hotlap challenges and leaderboards as we wish. In fact, look for a custom Time Trial featuring the R35 GT-R after the update is live. More info to follow below.
* Fixed slow load times for saved liveries, tuning files and layer groups in the design catalog. For those of you who were experiencing laggy performance and long waits accessing your saved content, the problem should be resolved now.
* Fixed achievements not showing up correctly when playing the game any controller port other than 1.
* Patched Time Trials leaderboard holes that allowed players to load tuning files for an advantage.
* Improved AI car shadows and fixed shadow flickering.
* Fixed audio in replay videos with manual shifting.

New Multiplayer Matchmaking Playlists

Our latest matchmaking playlists are live! Changes are listed below. For more information on all the matchmaking playlists, check out our info page here.

* The addition of “Virus Tag” to the “Playground” category.
* The addition of class specific playlists to the “Road Racing” and “Oval” categories.
* The addition of American Stock Car playlist to the “Oval” category.
* The addition of Class A and Class B playlists to the “Drag” category.

daw840

The wife and I exchanged presents last night and I got the game!! Now I just need to fellate my way to a Fanatec steering wheel and I will be complete!!

cjelly said:
Fixed shadows, awesome. Rather annoying in replay's to see them appear, turn into blob shadows, then suddenly turn back to a dynamic one or vanish 10 foot away from the car.

Are tag and virus game types still classed as ranked games online? Might sound a bit anal but I refuse to try them as it might harm my trueskill which I earned online without using a broken S4

SmokyDave said:
I must admit it was a bit strange to receive a gift I couldn't use. I expected it to tell me I could download it at a later date but it just drops it into my garage with a padlock on it!

It's the same Spec V version that was in NFS: Shift, released 5 weeks before Forza 3 hit the shelves.

Well, EA publish Shift and Microsoft publish Forza 3, I am sure different company have different licensing arrangment, what is so hard to understand.

Or may be they just want people to buy DLC by throwing in a desirable car.

Jube3

The wife and I exchanged presents last night and I got the game!! Now I just need to fellate my way to a Fanatec steering wheel and I will be complete!!
Awesome man, if you need someone to play with send me a Friend request, GT: Ayo Jube.

Che posted here a while back on why it was added via DLC:
chespace said:
we were waiting for the Spec-V version and Nissan came through with it after our production deadline.

daw840

Jube3 said:
Awesome man, if you need someone to play with send me a Friend request, GT: Ayo Jube.

Che posted here a while back on why it was added via DLC:

You used to be on my FL, but I was offline for a couple months and I think people cleaned up their list. :(

Jube3

daw840 said:
You used to be on my FL, but I was offline for a couple months and I think people cleaned up their list. :(

Ill re-add ya daw if you have room, ya I clean up my FL pretty regularly.

Vlightray

Fuck I caved and bought the pack and feel like being ripped off. But being Forza I was like fuck it i'm getting it. Nissan is awesome.

Btw when was the hand animation in car changed?

haven't played in a while noticed the shifting animation.

Jube3

I definitely have room

GT: DarkQberto

Weren't you in one of the sports leagues?

Yea I used to play in the madden leagues but started a UFC league and couldnt do both. I added ya.

Vlightray said:
Fuck I caved and bought the pack and feel like being ripped off. But being Forza I was like fuck it i'm getting it. Nissan is awesome.

Btw when was the hand animation in car changed?

haven't played in a while noticed the shifting animation.

Shifting animations were added in the third (i believe) title update a few weeks ago when the hot holidays pack came out I believe. There are some fantastic cars in that DLC, check out the Ferrari 599XX is probably my favorite car in the game now.

Jube3

Anyone up for some late night Xmas eve Virus Tag, tag, cat and mouse on Benchmark let me know, Ill have a room open tonight if anyones up for it :D

Jube3

From the FM.Net Twitter
Merry Christmas Forza faithfuls! We saw a huge jump in users this week and over the past day or so, we added approx 1 new user per second!
Really crazy stat to have :O

Also this deserves to be cross posted since its such a sick photo, Rocksteady here took it and posted it in the livery thread:
d07dc0ee749abea44e6cff4b51b8c315.jpg

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Hey all, I am giving away two extra DLC packs (Hot Holiday) for Forza 3 through my publications Facebook and Twitter. Not many people enter the Facebook contest portion, so that should be easy to win. I don't like self-publicizing, so I will only post a link if someone requests it; if not, feel free to PM me as I have 15 codes to give away and will gladly give you details.

Jube3

Caspel said:
Hey all, I am giving away two extra DLC packs (Hot Holiday) for Forza 3 through my publications Facebook and Twitter. Not many people enter the Facebook contest portion, so that should be easy to win. I don't like self-publicizing, so I will only post a link if someone requests it; if not, feel free to PM me as I have 15 codes to give away and will gladly give you details.

Yea definitely post a link, theres a couple of posters here that have not bought the DLC and im sure would love a chance at em :D

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
all righty, here's a few ways to win one of my 15 holiday codes.

There are three methods of winning one of the codes; I'll start from the easiest to the hardest.

1 - Join my publication's Facebook and post what your dream car is. Link: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=133189570778
* Not many people enter the contests on Facebook. The last was about 9-12 people and it's a random giveaway, so your chances are higher with two codes being given away on Facebook.

2 - Follow my pub's Twitter and retweet the status about the contest. 2 Codes given away on Twitter randomly Link: Http://www.twitter.com/GameZoneOnline
* About 40-80 people enter this contest. So it's harder to win on here.

3 - Enter the query on our official home page. Random winner chosen. 11 codes given away on our official page. Http://www.gamezone.com
* Anywhere from 2,000 to 5,000 people enter the contests on a weekly basis, so your chances are much smaller on our official page.

You can enter all three contests to increase your chances of winning one of the codes.

Good luck

Jube3

Caspel said:
all righty, here's a few ways to win one of my 15 holiday codes.

There are three methods of winning one of the codes; I'll start from the easiest to the hardest.

1 - Join my publication's Facebook and post what your dream car is. Link: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=133189570778
* Not many people enter the contests on Facebook. The last was about 9-12 people and it's a random giveaway, so your chances are higher with two codes being given away on Facebook.

2 - Follow my pub's Twitter and retweet the status about the contest. 2 Codes given away on Twitter randomly Link: Http://www.twitter.com/GameZoneOnline
* About 40-80 people enter this contest. So it's harder to win on here.

3 - Enter the query on our official home page. Random winner chosen. 11 codes given away on our official page. Http://www.gamezone.com
* Anywhere from 2,000 to 5,000 people enter the contests on a weekly basis, so your chances are much smaller on our official page.

You can enter all three contests to increase your chances of winning one of the codes.

Good luck

I entered :D Thanks for posting caspel.

I am psyched! FZ3 has just been sent to me via Goozex! I haven't owned a racing game since, well, Super Mario Kart lol! But I am just so psyched for this game. Any advice you can offer to a noob?

Jube3

LovingSteam said:
I am psyched! FZ3 has just been sent to me via Goozex! I haven't owned a racing game since, well, Super Mario Kart lol! But I am just so psyched for this game. Any advice you can offer to a noob?

Ease yourself into the game, Forza offers a lot of great assists that will help keep your car straight on the road. Lots of things you can do to have fun, race, take pics, paint, tune, and shop.

Gravijah

LovingSteam said:

I remember Forza 2 telling you how to break/when to break on the loading screens... I wonder why Forza 3 doesn't have that? I know it helped me out a ton.

h3ro

yep, you done f'd up. :/

T10 has mentioned a bunch of times that they won't be re-gifting VIP cars.

Speaking of which, Che, whens the next batch coming?!

Top Bottom