• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

Jube3

h3ro said:
yep, you done f'd up. :/

T10 has mentioned a bunch of times that they won't be re-gifting VIP cars.

Speaking of which, Che, whens the next batch coming?!

Yea ill get a 1920x1200 version up, as for Che they arent back from holiday for another week I think so it wont be till after then I would think.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
skyfinch said:
God, 100k drift points is brutal. Can't seem to break the 60k mark.
I heard Reverse is easiest...

I honestly haven't tried it since about the 2nd week I had the game. I managed about 85k with ABS on, and I hear you're supposed to have ABS off to drift. :lol

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
I got this game for xmas and am having a blast so far. I did notice the framerate drops real bad when an achievement pops up or any other notifications pop up. Is this an issue on my end or is this how this game is? Should I just turn off notifications?

Jube3

cjelly said:
I heard Reverse is easiest...

I honestly haven't tried it since about the 2nd week I had the game. I managed about 85k with ABS on, and I hear you're supposed to have ABS off to drift. :lol

Nah Traction control off, stability off and ABS on I believe. The 100k one isnt so bad, using rewind does not knock you out of the achievement so if you hit a corner with low points rewind and push it :D

I got this game for xmas and am having a blast so far. I did notice the framerate drops real bad when an achievement pops up or any other notifications pop up. Is this an issue on my end or is this how this game is? Should I just turn off notifications?

Yea it happens every now and again Its not just you, it happens in some games when you get a notice from live. Notifications off while you race would guarantee you a locked 60.

Gravijah

Shaneus said:
I don't remember F2 doing that... the only game I can think of that *did* do that was Rallisport Challenge 2.

I mean, it wasn't mindblowing information, but if you were like me and didn't know, it would tell you that coming into a turn it was smart to left off the gas, not to slam on the brakes, etc etc which for someone who doesn't know, helps a TON.

Does anybody know if there are any strategy guides for this game that do a good job of explaining things like tuning, stats, etc to somebody who knows absolutely fuck all about cars? I don't even know the difference between front/rear/four wheel drive.

I love Forza 3, but so much of it goes over my head. I want to be able to buy cars and customise them according to my playstyle, rather than just buying a car and making do with it.

daw840

Ben2749 said:
Does anybody know if there are any strategy guides for this game that do a good job of explaining things like tuning, stats, etc to somebody who knows absolutely fuck all about cars? I don't even know the difference between front/rear/four wheel drive.

I love Forza 3, but so much of it goes over my head. I want to be able to buy cars and customise them according to my playstyle, rather than just buying a car and making do with it.

Dude. I have a bachelors degree in automotive technology and some of the tuning goes over even MY head. Don't feel bad.
Although, not knowing the difference between FWD/RWD/AWD is just funny. LOL

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
to everyone that entered my contest for the holiday car pack, check your e-mail, FB or Twitter to see if you won.

ShapeGSX

Tears For Fears said:
Forza 3 caters to manual drivers. What a load of shit, driving auto in this game is such a fucking chore. Totally unfair.

Not really. Pretty realistic, actually. An automatic can't anticipate what gear you will need before you need it by looking at the road ahead.

Basically, you should just learn how to shift on your own. Just try it out.

Shaneus

ShapeGSX said:
Not really. Pretty realistic, actually. An automatic can't anticipate what gear you will need before you need it by looking at the road ahead.

Basically, you should just learn how to shift on your own. Just try it out.
This. I was an auto-only guy since the days of the original Test Drive, but since I started using manual, it's so much more fun and rewarding... and you don't even notice that you're doing it half the time, just like a real car.

Though using anything R3+ on a track like Amalfi with a manual is 100% cunt.

Is it me or is money hard to make in Forza 2? In 70 hours of "drive" time I've made a total of 9,500,000Cr. And that's with a 75% or sometimes a 85% Cr bonus too. Admittedly I have yet to do the endurance races which I've heard give the most money for the time the race takes to complete. But then I've been completing ALL the races in the Event list, from F Class upwards. And I know F Class races are really bad for prize money.

And whilst I'm here, can anyone explain why Turn 10 didn't add practice laps and qualifying to the races? Two of my biggest complaints with this games is that Tuning a car before a race can be hit and miss because you can't practice before you start and the Grid is always the car with the highest PI first. I'd prefer it reversed, at least that way races may not end up like they do now with you racing against one car out of 7. Or better still let me qualify.

Anyway, looking forward to some new cars after getting the last pack! But I really would like to buy the cars I can see locked in the game. It's annoying that I can't!!

Pepto

Banned
Gek54 said:
I really don't think it's a steering aid.

I just noticed that this happens when you are driving very slowly (like 20 kph) and slowly start turning. You hit a certain spot where the tires are going nuts.

What makes me believe that it's not a steering aid is that the effect goes away when you start building up speed while holding the steering angle.

I been playing DiRT 2 pc a lot lately and noticed that it has tyre deformation but only on the Y axis, like up and down softness or whatever. After playing F3 a lot though seeing the tyres flex on corners and under grip is awesome and other games without it feel like a last gen game.

Pepto said:

I just noticed that this happens when you are driving very slowly (like 20 kph) and slowly start turning. You hit a certain spot where the tires are going nuts.

What makes me believe that it's not a steering aid is that the effect goes away when you start building up speed while holding the steering angle.
The game 100% helps counter oversteer and it can not be turned off even when using a wheel, that is the problem no matter what speed you go at.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Caspel said:
to everyone that entered my contest for the holiday car pack, check your e-mail, FB or Twitter to see if you won.

facebook for the win! thanks!

Pepto

Banned
Diablohead said:
The game 100% helps counter oversteer and it can not be turned off even when using a wheel, that is the problem no matter what speed you go at.
It might be a assist and it might not.

I'm just saying that in some conditions the effect goes away when your speed increases. Didn't this happen with your game? The car I was testing with was D350 rwd gen 3 MX-5.

daw840

Has anyone else noticed that once you significantly upgrade a car (including race transmission) the final drive gear ratio is set so that your car could drive something like 275 MPH at the top end of 6th gear?:lol

Iknos

LOVING the game with the Fanatec wheel. Game felt good with the MS wheel but still felt like a game with the 180 degree steering on production cars. With full 900 degrees steering and clutch support it feels so good.

Pepto said:

We can debate the purpose or result of it...but it's mere existence is a flaw. Whether it's a glitch or done on purpose it should be removed. Same with the changing steering lock to lock...at least for 900 degree wheels.

If T10 can patch in cockpit shifting animations they can surely fix these things?

ShapeGSX

Iknos said:
We can debate the purpose or result of it...but it's mere existence is a flaw. Whether it's a glitch or done on purpose it should be removed. Same with the changing steering lock to lock...at least for 900 degree wheels.

Changing the steering ratio at higher speeds is necessary for 270 degree wheels. I don't even notice it happening.

I still don't quite know the purpose of the steering spaz out, though.

Jube3

Any gear heads interested in helping me with a beginners/entry level tuning guide?. I think it would really benefit the forza community.

enewtabie

Any car/track suggestions for getting the 100k Achievement? I've gotten everything but the last two seasons and from level 35 up left to go.:D

God I love this game.

lord pie

Jube3 said:
Any gear heads interested in helping me with a beginners/entry level tuning guide?. I think it would really benefit the forza community.

Something I'd really like to see in Forza 4: An auto tuning or suggestion system, similar to the level upgrades.

For instance: You could select 'increase oversteer / understeer / turn in / high speed stability / acceleration / reduce drag / etc.' Begin able to say 'this is what I think wrong with how my car drives' and then having the game suggest adjusting the centre differential, tire pressures, toe in, etc etc (but also tell you how it will hurt your car's performance). That could be very useful, and you'd learn a lot too.
:D

There is the help text for each tuning option - but I swear it's close to impossible to read. It's too long, and the auto scroll is really annoying. :-/

Jube3 said:

My contribution is how important tires are.

The only part of the car that is constantly touching the road/track/tarmac. Upgrading the tires can give a decent boost in performance in Speed/Launch/Handling/Braking. A 5,000 Cr tire upgrade will give you a lot more benefits than a 5,000 Cr exhaust/intake/engine upgrade. A simple pressure adjustment can change the handling(to an extent) of the car Over/Understeer/neutral, (for 28.5 PSI front and rear gives a more neutral handling but also allows the rear to break free when you want it to without it getting out of hand).

Jube3

enewtabie said:
Any car/track suggestions for getting the 100k Achievement? I've gotten everything but the last two seasons and from level 35 up left to go.:D

God I love this game.

Fujimi kaido full, Go to my storefront and grab the "nub drift" tune for the silvia 13k. It will run you a bit on parts but its a great car to practice drifting in. Also the rewind button does not nullify the achievement so make sure you get atleast 1-2k on each turn and you should have it.

Something I'd really like to see in Forza 4: An auto tuning or suggestion system, similar to the level upgrades.

For instance: You could select 'increase oversteer / understeer / turn in / high speed stability / acceleration / reduce drag / etc.' Begin able to say 'this is what I think wrong with how my car drives' and then having the game suggest adjusting the centre differential, tire pressures, toe in, etc etc (but also tell you how it will hurt your car's performance). That could be very useful, and you'd learn a lot too.

Yea that would be really cool, im hoping this guide will help answer those questions as well since I have a lot of those as well.

The only part of the car that is constantly touching the road/track/tarmac. Upgrading the tires can give a decent boost in performance in Speed/Launch/Handling/Braking. A 5,000 Cr tire upgrade will give you a lot more benefits than a 5,000 Cr exhaust/intake/engine upgrade. A simple pressure adjustment can change the handling(to an extent) of the car Over/Understeer/neutral, (for 28.5 PSI front and rear gives a more neutral handling but also allows the rear to break free when you want it to without it getting out of hand).

Yea great point, lots of people I know go straight for everything but the tires till max PI.

Gek54

Pepto said:

Like Diablohead said, I can reproduce the effect at any speed with any car. It also feels like the steering is not completely linear in other conditions as well. The recovery action of the aid only goes away when returning from the slide or if the car has gone beyond what active steering can recover. Unless you are driving a model of BMW that has the active steering option then its an unrealistic steering aid that effectively kills it as a driving simulation. They dont offer active steering for any of the M series BMWs...you can fill in the dots.

My copy of Forza 3 has been shelved until they fix it. Its just too insulting to the senses and I am still dumbfounded as to why they dont let you turn it off just as you can with all the other aids. Try the new GT5 demo, or LFS or GTR or rFactor with all of their aids turned off and you should see right away what it should be like to have total control over the steering of your car. Its weird that this wheel seemed to have had Forza 3 in mind when it was designed and then Turn10 officially recommending the wheel way back in May yet out of all the games I listed, FM3 provides by far the weakest support for the wheel.

We are back on this active steering again....if you hate the game so much and already shelved it, what are you doing in here? Oh never mind, you have to promote how bad Forza 3 is because it suppposely have this magic steering.

Gek54

I thought I was just responding to pepto's response to me...

I dont hate the game, it does so many other things right so I am still hopeful it will be patched with a toggle.

Yoritomo

antiquegamer said:
We are back on this active steering again....if you hate the game so much and already shelved it, what are you doing in here? Oh never mind, you have to promote how bad Forza 3 is because it suppposely have this magic steering.

It's not supposed... There's a clear counter steering assist in 900 degree mode with the fanatec wheel.

Anyone with the fanatec can confirm it. There' no way around some sort of assist with the MS wheel since it doesn't give the full range of motion but there's no reason for it to exist with the fanatec PWTS in 900 degree mode.

Gek54

Pepto said:
The effect I described?

I think so. When counter steering you can see the telemetry wheel hit full lock even though I have only turned the Fanatec wheel 90 degrees, the telemetry wheel then vibrates as though its looking for the right angle before finally returning to the proper angle, all of this happening without moving the Fanatec wheel from 90 degrees. The car's wheels show this in the replays and the cars behave accordingly.

Iknos

ShapeGSX said:
Changing the steering ratio at higher speeds is necessary for 270 degree wheels. I don't even notice it happening.

Of course. If real production cars had linear 270 degree wheels there would be a lot more car collisions.

I just want it to be able to be toggled off for those using 900 degree steering.

Having never driven any open wheel race car I'm wondering if their steering is locked at different speeds as well.

antiquegamer said:

I can still enjoy the game but my issue is that it's an experience that is purposefully hampered with an assist. An "always on" countersteering assist is great for an arcade game but not for a simulation. They just have to patch it so it's an option...that's a reasonable request.

Great Fanatec wheel and great game. Great physics. Great selection of cars. Great tracks. Great fantasy tracks. Very useful assists get anyone into the game.

I only have a few issues with the game and this countersteering assist is one of them that I think hurts the experience no matter what mode I'm playing.

My other beef being the crappy photomode compression...I can live with it because I bought this game to drive cars and race more than anything else. I'm not a fan of how the multiplayer has been handled and I think they fell short on some multiplayer modes...but I can still manage to create straight up racing modes with friends. I would still like these things to be addressed and if photomode was fixed I'd dive into it.

This whole assist thing affects the whole game though. Same with the dynamic steering lock to lock changes.

antiquegamer said:
This is nonsense.

Active steering and the AWD PI imbalance are the (IMO only) two things holding this back from being maybe the best racing game ever. People should be making noise in the hopes that Turn10 will fix them!

Again, some amount of steering help is necessary for anything less than the 900 degree wheel. So it's only that one corner case that needs to be fixed.

The AWD thing personally bothers me a lot more.

Pepto

Banned
Gek54 said:
I think so. When counter steering you can see the telemetry wheel hit full lock even though I have only turned the Fanatec wheel 90 degrees, the telemetry wheel then vibrates as though its looking for the right angle before finally returning to the proper angle, all of this happening without moving the Fanatec wheel from 90 degrees. The car's wheels show this in the replays and the cars behave accordingly.
I wasn't talking about counter steering. The same vibration happens in other situations. My settings are 900 degrees and ff at 33.

Gek54

Pepto said:
I wasn't talking about counter steering. The same vibration happens in other situations. My settings are 900 degrees and ff at 33.

The vibration isnt the main focus of the problem, its the amount that the wheels turn to counter steer and then the eventual transition back to a proper angle that is real problem.

Pepto

Banned
Gek54 said:
The vibration isnt the main focus of the problem, its the amount that the wheels turn to counter steer and then the eventual transition back to a proper angle that is real problem.
Yeah it's easier to go from lock to lock when counter steering. My first reply was only about the vibration.

My guess would be that it happens because the standard wheel is only 270 degrees. When the car is going fast in a straight line the steering response is reduced to help keep the car straight.

The support for the fanatec wheel is still very buggy (for example it doesn't work right it you start your xbox with the wheel).

See

So I started my first endurance race (R3 at Road America) everything was going great, I was pretty proud of my self for not using rewind for a couple laps straight and finally posted a legit best lap and then my fuel gauge went orange. So this tingled my curiosity and since I was in a FXX I jumped to cockpit view to see what the fuel reading was, but I hit the grass and since I don't have traction control I spun out crashed and burned

So thats no problem right? Just use use rewind.

BUT MASSIVE SURPRISE! IT DOESN'T WORK!

Tried franticly pressing the back button a million times and then I checked to see if there was a pause menu rewind. There was non. Yeeshh..

I calmly stopped playing for today. Or maybe even tomorrow. Sigh.

Wasn't rewind supposed to be used for exactly these conditions? Then why is it not there when you need it most?

See said:
So I started my first endurance race (R3 at Road America) everything was going great, I was pretty proud of my self for not using rewind for a couple laps straight and finally posted a legit best lap and then my fuel gauge went orange. So this tingled my curiosity and since I was in a FXX I jumped to cockpit view to see what the fuel reading was, but I hit the grass and since I don't have traction control I spun out crashed and burned

So thats no problem right? Just use use rewind.

BUT MASSIVE SURPRISE! IT DOESN'T WORK!

Tried franticly pressing the back button a million times and then I checked to see if there was a pause menu rewind. There was non. Yeeshh..

I calmly stopped playing for today. Or maybe even tomorrow. Sigh.

Wasn't rewind supposed to be used for exactly these conditions? Then why is it not there when you need it most?
If the computer takes a pit stop you can't rewind until they are done, and it rewinds you all the way before their pit stop started. They were probably taking a stop, so if you had waited for them to finish, you could have used rewind. I think.

Jube3

Yea I believe the conditions for rewind not being available is the pit, and also if the CPU has crossed the finished line on the last lap.

See

UltimateIke said:
If the computer takes a pit stop you can't rewind until they are done, and it rewinds you all the way before their pit stop started. They were probably taking a stop, so if you had waited for them to finish, you could have used rewind. I think.
I hope thats not true because I really wanted to finish that race :/

But then again, the there are is a limit on the rewind, I think its 10 rewinds or something till you cant go any more backwards. So technically, the rewind thingy will start to count after the AI gets out of the pits, so you cant rewind beyond that point.

Why aren't these rules detailed anywhere?
Che, when your holiday is finished, I expect you to make everything crystal clear!

See said:
I hope thats not true because I really wanted to finish that race :/

But then again, the there are is a limit on the rewind, I think its 10 rewinds or something till you cant go any more backwards. So technically, the rewind thingy will start to count after the AI gets out of the pits, so you cant rewind beyond that point.

Why aren't these rules detailed anywhere?
Che, when your holiday is finished, I expect you to make everything crystal clear!
If you hit rewind after the computer leaves the pits, it will rewind you all the way before they entered the pits. I've had it rewind me a LONG way to get there, but it will do it.

See

UltimateIke said:
If you hit rewind after the computer leaves the pits, it will rewind you all the way before they entered the pits. I've had it rewind me a LONG way to get there, but it will do it.
Well thats good to know, thanks :)

I just wish Turn10 detailed these beforehand.

I'm starting to dislike the hopper system. All classes have been accounted for but I don't want to be forced to race that certain car that dominates a class. Turn 10 should really make it possible to make private lobbies public and give us a choice.

Top Bottom