• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

Jube3

Some Forza pics from an fm.net contest. 1st prize is 1.5 million credits
http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/1/3533640/ShowThread.aspx

Shortkid: my favorite shot so far
4316845677_5e5c60e65f.jpg

batzzz
4323343114_a0002d2b0a.jpg

BULLETSnZOMBIES
4266216606_9954c12899.jpg

4265469467_9f9202f830.jpg

EFD Oli
4306255979_2ca61daf34.jpg

random pic I liked
FranticMunky:
Forza32600.jpg

aberckmans

Neo Member
Cpt N Algren said:
I genuinely don't know, i guess its only to do with the wheel? which i dont play with... assuming that, it shouldnt affect controller only users?

I'm with you on this, I'd like to know what linear steering is too... And shame on me, I have a Fanatec wheel (so I probably should know!).

rjcc

as long as the squeaky wheel is getting greased, is there any chance of adjusting the requirement to finish to rack up credits in multiplayer? It's a real pain running a four lap race and coming up a few car lengths short of receiving any credits for it. Of course, I could always be a better driver, but I'd improve faster if I had more incentive to race with people better than me.

why not scale the credits for percentage of race or laps completed? or bump the credits at all. I just don't feel like i'm getting a lot of credits per hour online, and without unlocking lots of cars it makes me prefer racing offline and right now more players online is definitely what the game needs.

Pepto

Banned
Gek54 said:
NEW 2/3/2010
We are working on a patch that will address linear steering.

I would cry.
So with linear steering you would wan't to turn the wheel 450 degrees in a hairpin turn after a fast straight? or would it work some other way?

phil_t

Banned
Pepto said:
So with linear steering you would wan't to turn the wheel 450 degrees in a hairpin turn after a fast straight? or would it work some other way?

I think it's not that aspect of linear steering.. it's the speed sensitive and 'active' steering elements applied to the steering that people want removed (I believe?)

although saying that, if T10 just cleaned up the telemetry to not show the speed sensitive steering and any 'active' element that causes it to show movement when none was made, people probably wouldn't even notice so much..

Aspiring

ResidentDante said:
It looks like it's snowing, snow tracks for FM3 confirmed! :D

Nah its probably just sort of fumes coming from something thats broken.

sorry, i dont own this game, just saw that it is a peice of shit falcon, and being a Holden man had to comment. Beautiful pic though

Yoritomo

Wait!?!?!?!? Linear steering is going to be patched in as an option?

HOLY SHIT. That's the one thing really keeping this game from being the ultimate sim.

As empowering as it is to correct every misstep with a random jerk of opposite lock. It's so apparent how close they are to having a really really great sim underneath that one damned layer of steering buffer.

I mean I understand exactly what they're doing with the steering input. In a 900 degree wheel steering is linear when everything is okay. The issue pops up when you begin to slide. When sliding you only need a minor input of opposite lock for the 360 to basically take over and give you full opposite lock, or as much as necessary to correct the slide. There's no reason for it to be doing that in a 900 degree wheel.

EDIT: GODDAMMIT!! :lol I should read more carefully.

Turn10 yet again pulling out all the stops, awesome.

Also some amazing photos there.

Iknos said:
If that ever happened I'd stamp "definitive" on my copy of Forza 3.
We need a printable sleeve of the F3 box with "definitive" photoshopped in to the title.

ravien56

So how do you guys play this game now? I'm still trying to complete the bullshit career which I'm at R3 now and need to do 9 races, each of them now 12 minutes long so thats fun.

ravien56 said:
So how do you guys play this game now? I'm still trying to complete the bullshit career which I'm at R3 now and need to do 9 races, each of them now 12 minutes long so thats fun.
Lots of single player stuff to do, I don't play every day at the moment but this is a game where you can make slow sweet love to it until the next sequel is made :p

I "will" drive all 450+ cars before the end...
may or may not include DLC as some packs will not be my taste

phil_t

Banned
ravien56 said:

You are complaining over a 12 minute race? Is this part of the the new ADD society we live in ;)

:D

If that is genuinely peeing you off, I'd suggest trying another game, or just skip the career, it's a racing game, and races tend to be many 'repetitive' laps around a circuit, not a great deal you can do about it...

ravien56

phil_t said:
You are complaining over a 12 minute race? Is this part of the the new ADD society we live in ;)

:D

If that is genuinely peeing you off, I'd suggest trying another game, or just skip the career, it's a racing game, and races tend to be many 'repetitive' laps around a circuit, not a great deal you can do about it...
Its just annoying when they put restrictions on what cars you can pick, etc. I don't even have live so I'm missing the multiplayer aspect of the game too:(

ravien56 said:
Its just annoying when they put restrictions on what cars you can pick, etc. I don't even have live so I'm missing the multiplayer aspect of the game too:(
IMO there is not enough restrictions, using an S class car in a C class race as long as it has the same drive terrain or manufacture, ruins those slower races for me knowing I can jump into a beast, and I bet a lot of people do that too.

Diablohead said:
IMO there is not enough restrictions, using an S class car in a C class race as long as it has the same drive terrain or manufacture, ruins those slower races for me knowing I can jump into a beast, and I bet a lot of people do that too.

I think there is a good mix. If i want a close race in Single Player, then the stock factory setting races are good, but even on Hard its not difficult to win. I also like picking an R3 car which somehow goes up against C class cars and blowing them all out of sight! AWESOME !

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
ravien56 said:
I'm working my way through Event List.

Going to take me a looooooooooong time.

rjcc

Diablohead said:

it feels like there should be an autoconfigure button that levels the AI cars up to the top of the restrictions, or where your car is.

I don't really enjoy the races where there's just one car that's way faster than the others, which is most of them.

DasRaven

cjelly said:
I'm working my way through Event List.

Going to take me a looooooooooong time.

Same here. I'm only averaging 2 series/week (10-12 races) now that the holidays are over.
Thankfully I "finished" season mode and can now plod along at my own pace enjoying the rides and races as I please.

I've found two things that really make finishing the event list more fun/less a grind.
1. Easy AI + 2-3m head starts in a well-matched car. The threat of being beaten by Easy AI cars can really get the blood going.

2. Medium AI + overmatched car. Basically the bottom PI to qualify for the race. Rocking a Fit Sport with 21" wheels and winning is awesome.

I spent the first 6 seasons running expert assists w/ auto trans, so I've had my fill of wheel-to-wheel close racing. These variants are still difficult, but for different reasons.

Chrange

Banned
Diablohead said:

You sound like the people complaining that rewind 'ruined' the game just because it was there. You don't have to use an overpowered car if you don't feel it's 'fair' to the AI :p

Jube3

chrange you should change your avy to ballpit sheldon :D

VG247 interview with Dan Greenwalt
Interview by Patrick Garratt.[/I]
Full Interview herehttp://www.vg247.com/2010/02/03/interview-forza-motorsports-dan-greenawalt/

You were pretty slavish as regards hitting 60fps, and did receive some criticism from the community for apparently trading off some poly budget to achieve it. In retrospect, are you glad you stuck to the 60 frames goal, or could you have created something more visually attractive if you’d lowered the target to, say, 30?

We get asked this question a lot by the press and my answer hasn’t changed much from Forza 2 to Forza 3. The reality is that racing games running at 30fps have to deal with visual shuttering artifacts in the environment and backgrounds that fly by your field of view when the car is traversing at high speeds. So you then go and mask that using motion blur for your environments, which end up eating into your GPU cycles, which take up resources from other features you want on-track.

It really turns into a trade-off for the type of visual direction you’re trying to achieve, and with Forza Motorsport, the visual style is clear, crisp graphics, and highly-detailed environments and textures. But in truth, the decision is less about graphics than feel. We prioritize 60fps as an important feature because it gives the games a feel you just can’t achieve at 30; for instance, the responsiveness and feedback of the controls, or physics calculations and visual manifestation of that on how we model our tire flex and body roll. While those calculations are decoupled from the graphics and run as high as 360 frames per second, we found that graphical framerate impacts the feel of those systems as well. Simply put, we couldn’t have achieved the experience we wanted if the game only ran at 30fps. I’m sure you would get a similar response from Infinity Ward regarding Call of Duty.

Can you give us any figures on how many items are being traded in the game at the moment? Have all the online community features panned out as you expected, or have you had to cope with some sticking issues?

Sure. We already knew from Forza 2 that the online Auction House was going to come back strong for the community. What we were curious to see was how the new Storefront feature would play into the community ecosystem. We pulled these numbers a few weeks ago so they’re not the most recent server stats, but it gives you an idea the kind of momentum we’ve had nearly 90 days post-release. We’ve had over 8 million auction bids placed online, with over 3.3 million auctions created. Our community has purchased or downloaded nearly 10 million Storefront items. Overall, our community has driven well over 126 million races on Xbox LIVE, totaling over 13 million man-hours of time spent playing the game online. They drove over 1.1 billion miles in online races, which is more than five return trips from the earth to the sun. So yeah, we have a community that’s deeply engaged with the game.

As for sticking issues, there’s been surprisingly little fire drills this time around. We had to update the leaderboards a couple times due to glitches but nothing really out of the ordinary.

How closely are you watching GT5’s development? Are you looking forward to playing it? What does GT5 do that F3 doesn’t, and vice versa?

I think all good game developers look at what their competitors are doing. It’s important to understand the landscape; not only to see what’s being done, but to see what’s not being done. As Game Director for Forza Motorsport, what I’m really interested in seeing and defining is the next big shift in how gamers (and even non-gamers) will play and interact with each other and express their passion for cars. For us, player generated content and social media are the modern ways to connect people and their passion for cars. That is why we’ve stressed those features for so many years. As a racing gamer, I’ve been a long-time fan of the GT series. At this point, after so many missed releases, it’s nearly impossible to say what GT5 will be or when it will ship. Based on the all the preview versions over the last several years, it looks like it will be a good racing game.

Full Interview here
http://www.vg247.com/2010/02/03/interview-forza-motorsports-dan-greenawalt/

I also put together a wallpaper thread at FM.net. There are cell phone wallpapers there. Currently only single screen but im adding mulitple screen ones today.
http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/ShowThread.aspx?PostID=3577204#3577204

Currently using this one on my moment
iphone_templatemockliz1.jpg

ShapeGSX

Yeah, that will be the new wallpaper for my iPod Touch. I've had that stupid stock frog image on the front of it for too long. :lol

Finally got back my 360 yesterday :D

Anybody else saw this?

4330107687_f18818f4ac_o.jpg

C'mon T10 :lol

Btw Jube, what wheels do you recommend for the JSR 350z and 370z? the stock nissan wheels with your designs are nasty =/

Chrange said:
You sound like the people complaining that rewind 'ruined' the game just because it was there. You don't have to use an overpowered car if you don't feel it's 'fair' to the AI :p
Of course but I am going to say that a good 90% of players out there will abuse and get an easy win out of it, it's just how I feel about it.

It would also help if the CPU didn't use stupid braking zones, I see their rear brake lights flicker like a christmas tree using cheap pound-store bulbs which are shorting out :lol

eviltasan

Just hit 60 hours drive time and still enjoying collecting up new cars, not too much longer to finish all events. Woot

Not much of an artist/tweaker though, send me a message if anyone wants to trade storefront purchases for the achievement :)

Jube3

fu3lfr3nzy said:
Btw Jube, what wheels do you recommend for the JSR 350z and 370z? the stock nissan wheels with your designs are nasty =/

I used Kosei K1-Racing TS-Version on both cars. They flow nicely with the cars.

Jube3

MagniHarvald said:
Still no official info or leaks on the DLC that could come next Tuesday?

The Pitpass/Week in Review hits tommorow, if the DLC comes out next tuesday we will probably read about it tommorow.

I've haven't popped in FM3 since december (until now), was there something in the patch that alterred acceleration after hitting another vehicle? I'm using the Official xbox steering wheel and there are random times when the acceleration cuts out and I'm not sure if my wheel is going to die or what.

edit: It was definitely the pedals. Now they just stopped responding to both acceleration and the brakes. Hm.. Any suggestions on what would be the problem or how to just get replacement pedals?

Seanspeed

Banned
Diablohead said:
It would also help if the CPU didn't use stupid braking zones
Yea, the AI isn't that great when it comes to maximizing their braking, but its better than many, many games I've played. It seems to be one of the hardest aspects for a developer to get 'down' with their AI.

RacePro was 10X worse when it came to this. I could usually go from last(when I opted not to quali) to like 4th or better just on the first lap because I could overtake whole PACKS of cars in a braking zone.

Also, I'm in for racing tonight, but I need to know what time. I've gotta get up for work REAL early tomorrow, so I'm not gonna be up racing past 10PM(EST) or so.

Jube3

Made a wallpaper for the new month if anyone is interested. Drifting in front of the fuji waterfall :D

ae86_preview.jpg

Resolutions: 1920x1200 1920x1080 1600x1200

Also DLC Related VIA TWITTER:
Tomorrow we reveal the Feb. DLC, along with article and new video! Tonight we write the pitpass.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Jube3 said:
Made a wallpaper for the new month if anyone is interested. Drifting in front of the fuji waterfall :D

ae86_preview.jpg

Resolutions: 1920x1200 1920x1080 1600x1200

Also DLC Related VIA TWITTER:
Tomorrow we reveal the Feb. DLC, along with article and new video! Tonight we write the pitpass.
Awesome Jube. Now in my wallpaper rotation folder. Much better than the 458 one, sorry I wasn't a fan of the calendar overlay, but this one is stunning! :)

Jube3

rjcc said:
10:30 pm est good?
I can make it :)

enzo_gt said:
Awesome Jube. Now in my wallpaper rotation folder. Much better than the 458 one, sorry I wasn't a fan of the calendar overlay, but this one is stunning! :)
Thanks! Yea I put it back up without the calendar it started to bug me lol.

I just got my capture card and drives and im setting it up now so stitching should be a lot easier now :D As long as I can get the card working lol.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I tried joining your guys game a few times and it wasn't letting me in. :-/

Sat there on 'Joining...' for aaaages, then kept coming up with some bullshit about network something or other. Every damn time.

Iknos

Dash Kappei said:
Zing! :lol

Not really a zing...unfortunately for any fan of GT including Dan it's hard to tell when we'll finally see it.

Although I think he's wrong when he says "missed releases" there was never really a specified release date.

Those were decent questions and I found it interesting that Dan didn't give out stats for how many pictures were downloaded. Understandable since we'd all be doing the math to see how much it costs to host the pictures and then we'd whine for better compression.

:)

Chrange

Banned
Jube3 said:
chrange you should change your avy to ballpit sheldon :D

Gave it a shot, but with all those colors and the motion it's hard to get it down to 150k :lol

I'll pull the other bazingas and see if they work better.

Anyone do a Big Bang Theory car livery :D

Jube3

Chrange said:
Gave it a shot, but with all those colors and the motion it's hard to get it down to 150k :lol

I'll pull the other bazingas and see if they work better.

Anyone do a Big Bang Theory car livery :D

Yes the avatar is win! haha. I started a livery but it was garbage so I trashed it, when I get some time im gonna sketch them out so I can fit them into a livery easier. I really, really want to get all 5 characters in. Ill do each as a vinyl and then see if I can fit them in.

Chrange

Banned
Jube3 said:
Yes the avatar is win! haha. I started a livery but it was garbage so I trashed it, when I get some time im gonna sketch them out so I can fit them into a livery easier. I really, really want to get all 5 characters in. Ill do each as a vinyl and then see if I can fit them in.

Cool. Well until I can get a better version of ballpit Sheldon, I'm going to use this one :lol

Top Bottom