• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

derFeef

AlanzTalon said:
Let's not forget that a lot of the art on those walls is just that...art. concept art, sketches, etc that all may be things cut from the game.

they may have wanted (or even fully modeled) weather effects early in development...but couldn't keep the 360/60 frames baseline...so they were cut. we know even the basic smoke effects bog down the engine...imagine a constant transparent texture following every tire on every car. I just don't see FM3 getting rain as an update.

but the art is cool so they keep them up on the walls to decorate the place. I am not reading too much into it.
It is not the wall. The interesting part is the cardboard, which was clearly placed there on purpose, just for the photo. Combined with the comment of Jalopnik and the silence of Che... I refuse to believe it is "just" art.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I accidently read the Forza 2 thread the other instead of this one. On the last page some people were convinced Turn 10 were making a game with boats and monster trucks.

So I wouldn't read into the weather stuff too much. T10 likes being mean.

Iknos

AlanzTalon said:
but the art is cool so they keep them up on the walls to decorate the place. I am not reading too much into it.

That is what I figured at first.

Though the fact that it is on temporary boards leaning on the wall has me curious. Could very well be that they ran out of wallspace and wanted to add extra art...the sort of art that as you mention is simply concept art of their originally planned ideas.

That one dude who was a former T10 employee that told us 99% of the game's features months before the game was released did mention that some of the cut features were weather. Another cut feature was cockpit driver animations which as we all know were patched in. One feature we see on that wall that isn't and will likely never be in the game is all the flying parts from a damaged car.

Not really a big deal for me...it would be nice but on my list of priorities there are other things that I've mentioned time and time again previously in this thread. For example I think patching in more relevant online modes would be more feasible and more required for it to be considered the ultimate sim.

I would be very impressed more than anything if T10 was able to patch a weather feature in. I'm anxious for something like that but that's just me. Variable weather is a part of auto racing so I'm not going to argue against anyone saying they really want it.

4380859477_7e899f2f7e_o.jpg

Make it rain Che, make it rain.

amar212

soundscream said:
4380859477_7e899f2f7e_o.jpg

Make it rain Che, make it rain.

And PLEASE give us RWD hoppers WITHOUT asssits for those rainy races too.

Too good to be true.

This could easily change the whole FM3 experience.

Greatest Q: Would rainy races make their way to Career mode?

Pepto

Banned
Weather might be in Forza 4. There's 0% chance that the patch would introduce weather to the game.

I'm just happy that the patch should bring stickier drag strips.

derFeef

Pepto said:
Weather might be in Forza 4. There's 0% chance that the patch would introduce weather to the game.

I'm just happy that the patch should bring stickier drag strips.
You know that for a fact?

G Rom

Well, if it's not happening, why Che is letting us hype ourselves ?
I could understand the silence sometimes before the release as his job is to hype the game but after release, I don't see what's stopping him from telling us "there will never ever be weather in Forza 3". Maybe we need to ask ?:lol

So Che, do we have to worry about the weather ?:D

Shaneus

Weather would be VERY unlikely... new textures would have to be developed for the environment (grass, mud for example), new light and reflection maps for every single track and a completely new physics engine that deals with things like potholes and aforementioned mud. Weather is the reason there weren't more tracks in PGR4 due to the textures and lighting, there's no way in hell it's happening for Forza 3.

derFeef

Shaneus said:
Weather would be VERY unlikely... new textures would have to be developed for the environment (grass, mud for example), new light and reflection maps for every single track and a completely new physics engine that deals with things like potholes and aforementioned mud. Weather is the reason there weren't more tracks in PGR4 due to the textures and lighting, there's no way in hell it's happening for Forza 3.

Hm, they could make just one rainy track. Physics would not be the problem (I think) because the physics engine is pretty hefty.

G Rom

It has already be mentioned as possibly PGR5. It isn't PGR4 because there's no 2010 S4 or any S5 in the game.
I find odd though that they'd place this cardboard just under those of Forza 3. And the second one looks like a track but not the Nürburgring nor a city, so I think it's not PGR. Otherwise I would be very disappointed if PGR went tracks only.

For those saying that weather wouldn't be possible to add. Remember that it was a cut feature so they may have been far into the development of it but decided to scrap it for time constraint. Today, it's been four months since the game was out and approximatively five since it went gold and even more since it was content complete. If they decided to make weather in the game in the form of DLC, they could easily had a modeling/texturing team continuing work on it, a team which would have expanded after game's release with programmers and all the people needed.
Add to that the fact that we got driver animation, a thing that was also cut. Who knows what lies in Forza 3's source code !:D

The only problem with weather would be maintaining the framerate. If the physic engine is well done, I don't think it would require a lot of tweaking. They could reduce the number of car on screen (wouldn't be a great solution IMO as Nürburgring already feels empty sometimes). Thinking about it, the framerate in the game is really solid, maybe they had some room left. For example, high LOD could have apparently make it in replays with more time...:D

derFeef

Templar Wizard said:
you never thought that those images are probably from PGR4...or PGR5
PGR5 was my first thought really (wrote it the page before). But the track looks very Forza-ish

On the other hand, Jalopnik wrote "Forza geeks...." so, why would they write it that way.

Seanspeed

Banned
G Rom said:
For those saying that weather wouldn't be possible to add
I agree its not impossible, but its so very very unlikely. Yes, it was a cut feature, but finishing up weather effects is quite a big difference from finishing up the driver shift animations(which was already a big enough surprise to most people).

Also, we have no idea why it was cut. Unlike driver animations, weather might have been cut because of problems they didn't think they could overcome, ya know?

G Rom

From the leak, we know it's from time constraint. Seeing how the leak was accurate and precise, I'd say that if it was because of a big problem, we would know it.

Now, I know it's not the same thing as driver animation and as I said way back in this very same thread, I think that if weather ever make it in, it will be premium DLC and not a simple title update nor free DLC. :D

WuselDusel said:
PGR5 was my first thought really (wrote it the page before). But the track looks very Forza-ish

On the other hand, Jalopnik wrote "Forza geeks...." so, why would they write it that way.

the nurb f1 track is in both... as is the ring..
Forza geeks since turn10 are doing both.. ??? I dont know.. all i do know is that i dont see weather making an appearance in fm3.

G Rom

Maybe I'm misinterpreting but Forza geeks, for me, refers to die hard fans, to tuners, to painters, to racers, etc.. The core Forza community is what I think of.
Honestly I don't know why they would point them to photos of PGR5 artwork. PGR and Forza community clearly don't overlap each other entirely, else PGR4 would have had the sales it deserved... :(

derFeef

G Rom said:
Maybe I'm misinterpreting but Forza geeks, for me, refers to die hard fans, to tuners, to painters, to racers, etc.. The core Forza community is what I think of.
Honestly I don't know why they would point them to photos of PGR5 artwork. PGR and Forza community clearly don't overlap each other entirely, else PGR4 would have had the sales it deserved... :(

Hm, yeah, "Turn10 fans...." would be better if it were PGR5. But thinking further, they just may have said, "here, take a shot of this as well" - with no further details.

G Rom

Yeah, I even bought the DLC to show my support to the game. Second best game in the series, only toped by the second one !
Even more than two years later, I still fire it up from time to time only to be once more amazed by how gorgeous it looks. Seriously, PGR4 seems to be always overlooked when it comes to compare graphics between racing game but I still think that it's the racing game that has the best overall graphics. There's still nothing like heavy rain in Macao on any platform !
I wish Microsoft would have treated Bizarre better instead of letting them go to Activision. I can't imagine what a game from them being one platform only would look like today ! :-(

Cahill

Banned
lord pie said:
M5 Gift car is stunning :D Amazing job Jube. I love how well it drifts, you don't have to force it, yet it's very controllable. I love the little details on the roof, nurb' style like the roads.
It also seems Xbox Wheels are out of stock practically everywhere in the UK. :-/

What's the latest gift car? I got the notice last night, went to get it and received a error to 'try again later'. Went back in but there's nothing there now. :(

I was cleaning out my old cupboard full of gaming shit and found a forza 1 advert book/poster I grabbed from GAME years ago before the game came out, it's A1 size and has the forza 1 cover art on the front, open it up and it gives facts about the game and talks about it's 8 players online, carrear mode etc, and then on the back it shows an R1 in Rio (still an amazing looking track) with a xbox mag quote about GT4 not having online play :lol :D

All the images must have been from a dev photo mode as they are all high res and angles you don't play at, it makes the original game look really good even for today's standards. If only 360 xbox scaling was that good on old xbox titles...

PS. bring back Rio!!!

G Rom

I still have this :
4382274960_ec83c1ae22.jpg

French Forza Motorsport press kit. I'm going through it at the moment. It's amazing to see the technical advancement in five years. :lol
Still, I think Forza Motorsport made better use of the lighting technology available at the time. Oh and FM's Mapple Valley look >>>>>>>>>> FM3's Mapple Valley look = FM2's Mapple Valley look !

If anyone is interested, I can share some high-res (3200x2400) screenshots. :D

Fake edit : Damn seeing some those screenshots reminds me of the Blue Mountain and Alpine Ring goodness ! :-(

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
G Rom said:
I still have this :

French Forza Motorsport press kit. I'm going through it at the moment. It's amazing to see the technical advancement in five years. :lol
Still, I think Forza Motorsport made better use of the lighting technology available at the time. Oh and FM's Mapple Valley look >>>>>>>>>> FM3's Mapple Valley look = FM2's Mapple Valley look !

Fake edit : Damn seeing some those screenshots reminds me of the Blue Mountain and Alpine Ring goodness ! :-(
Put them up! I'd love to have a browse. Stick them all up on Flickr/Photobucket gallery or something.

zorbsie

Got together with some friends to check out the new gift car. Really loved the livery. Did you have one for every track Jube? I remember seeing a pic with a bunch of them. Will they be future gift cars? Great job one the BMW, really sweet.

any ideas as to what the VIP surprise is this week? There was a mention of it on the T10 twitter.

Here's my lame attempt at a cool pic. :lol I still have to work on my settings this seems a little washed out:
xmpo2r.jpg

soundscream said:
4381474333_d8ceb73a8f_b.jpg

I might be wrong but that looks like a Forza track, and Forza driver.

C'mon Turn 10, please give me a reason to murder my horrible family, while getting a better Forza 3 expereince, all in one.

G Rom said:
I still have this :

Looks very much like what I have, but the front is not cut around the cars like yours. I can scan mine but it's more like an advert book then a press release kit / page

G Rom

Here are the 18 screenshots. There's more but at 6 MB minimum per screenshot, I have done a selection, instead of uploading everything. :lol
Just tell me if you want more.

@Diablohead : There are also facts and everything about the game in it. In fact, this reminded me that this year will see Forza Motorsport's fifth birthday. Can't believe, it's been this long since it was released. I hope we get a lot of stuff for this birthday ! :D
Turn10 should do a thing for those who can get a pictures of the three games together and you'd get extra point for having the three limited edition (Sorry America !:lol ).

Edit : I want this track back ! :-(
4382660020_de2fca7b2b_b.jpg

h3ro

FINALLY.

1zeyql4.jpg

You guys have no idea how relieved I am to finally get it. Tried yesterday with the Silvia you sent me, Jube. Get this, I got to 99,340. HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN.

So I went on the Storefront and found a Veyron tune. Long story short, 105,000. :D
(I used that sweet steampunk yellow/gold paint you had up in your store for a while, Jube.)

Now I can go back to enjoying chipping away at the Event List.

Top Bottom