• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

Seanspeed

Banned
Pepto said:
- Seat Leon Cupra R '09
- Mazda MX-5 Superlight
- Bentley Continental GT SuperSports '09
- Mini Coupé Concept
- Vauxhall Insignia VXR '10
- Renault Mégane III RS '09
- Mercedes E63 AMG '09
- Ford Taurus SHO '10
- Holden HSV w427 '10
- VW Scirocco R '10
Sweet. I've only bought one car pack so far, as the rest have had a lack of lower-class cars that I can afford to build and race competitively online.

DarkJC said:
Only thing that's missing is an option for the AI to max their cars out as close to the class restriction as possible with upgrades. It's kind of lame to be racing AI cars rated at 548 PP when you have a fully tuned and upgraded 600 PP beast.
What I do when I want to use my A600 'built-to-race-online cars' offline is bump them up a class. It should be real easy if you've really got your car maxed out in its current class, as something as small as a driveshaft upgrade will take it to S601 or whatever. And after that, you can just set the rules to S class and you'll usually get some pretty difficult competition from the AI. You'll still be racing pretty much the exact same car as you wanted to, its just the opposition is tougher, which is what you want, right?

And then just take that small upgrade off if you want to go back to having it A-class.

This also works well for doing Career-mode races, too.

Jube3

I'll have more info tomorrow on the car pack once the cars are revealed (PI, cost, etc).

TheOddOne said:
Drove this for the first time today:

Pretty good design.

Thanks, was a tough one. I kept hitting the layer limit over and over again. :| . Also If anyone wants their high score taken down in shaolin road in game room just let me know *karate kid pose* :lol

Rat Salad

Banned
I'm into the 2nd season so far,have all assists turned off,only have automatic transmission.
I try not to cheat and use the rewind feature,only time I use is it for the first time around a new track as a means to to warm up and correct mistakes,then I reset and never use it after that. Playing on normal difficulty but it seems abit easy. Would it be best to play on hard? As a rule I never play anything on hard because there are games that come along where they throw some over the top difficulty that goes to the next extreme.

Is hard a typical hard or hard to the extreme. I really don't want frustrating a.i. to suddenly start rubberbanding and tail spinning me out the further I open up this game.

Example -as much as I have loved the PGR series playing it on hard(aka platinum runs had the cars always playing dirty(ramming you into walls constantly,car blocking so the leader could further pull away from you, rubberbanding car catchup,and spinning you out like crazy,I don't want Forza to play like this.:/ I hope when the time comes Turn 10 fix what Bizarre what never did in the series.

G Rom

Hard isn't that hard. I'd suggest going manual too. It helps a lot as, like in many game, the automatic transmission does a poor job choosing the correct gear at the correct time.

As much as I'd like a new PGR, I fear for the series if another developer takes it (and all point toward Turn 10). I do hope that Turn 10 can continue the magic that Bizarre began ten years ago (more if you count MSR) but with Forza 3's poor online implementation (racing part, not the community stuff of course) and its many shortcomings we just don't know if they can.

For me a PGR needs those things (in no particular order) :

- OMG-awesome type of graphics
- Changeable time of day and weather
- Perfect or near perfect gameplay between arcade and simulation
- Great online (PGR 2 is still the best online racing game of all time IMO, so many hours into it, best online car game goes to Midtown Madness 3 of course)
- Challenges with medals
- Platinum medal which are very hard but doable without cheating but with a lot of practice
- Great cities with elevation changes (Edinburgh, Macao, Québec, etc...)
- A photo mode which doesn't make your photos look like a compression artifact fest

Just give us PGR4 with better car models, even more cities, separate changeable time and weather, PGR2 gameplay and online and without bike and I'll be happy. :D

In other news, I finally bought the Jalopnik car pack today. Great pack overall. I just love the Vantage, so much fun to drive. I just need to save money to buy one in my career.
I also now have 400 Points waiting the Road&Track pack !:D
Being away the whole week, I won't be able to try the E63 AMG until the next week though ! :-(
If Geometry Wars 2 hadn't been on sale, I may even have looked into buying the Nürburgring GP today. :lol

Oh and I had to post this in all its 720p "glory" :
4508587281_d269073670_o.jpg

There's just no word describing it... :-/

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
saladine1 said:
Where the Hell is my Bathurst race track?
IF you're desperate, Bathurst is in another racing game.

Only in PS3 ver of GRID.

Pretty weird exclusivity, unless it means another publisher picked up the exclusive for 360... :D

Shaneus

G Rom said:
Hard isn't that hard. I'd suggest going manual too. It helps a lot as, like in many game, the automatic transmission does a poor job choosing the correct gear at the correct time.

As much as I'd like a new PGR, I fear for the series if another developer takes it (and all point toward Turn 10). I do hope that Turn 10 can continue the magic that Bizarre began ten years ago (more if you count MSR) but with Forza 3's poor online implementation (racing part, not the community stuff of course) and its many shortcomings we just don't know if they can.

For me a PGR needs those things (in no particular order) :

- OMG-awesome type of graphics
- Changeable time of day and weather
- Perfect or near perfect gameplay between arcade and simulation
- Great online (PGR 2 is still the best online racing game of all time IMO, so many hours into it, best online car game goes to Midtown Madness 3 of course)
- Challenges with medals
- Platinum medal which are very hard but doable without cheating but with a lot of practice
- Great cities with elevation changes (Edinburgh, Macao, Québec, etc...)
- A photo mode which doesn't make your photos look like a compression artifact fest

Just give us PGR4 with better car models, even more cities, separate changeable time and weather, PGR2 gameplay and online and without bike and I'll be happy. :D
I'm with you on that almost 100%, but I'm curious about what you're referring to as PGR2 "gameplay". TBH, my favourite driving model ever is the one they used in PGR4. Obviously not the most accurate (hi T10!) but if they could implement that in whatever iteration is next, I'd be happy.

Shaneus

It *was* in an episode of Conan though, where that stunning woman who helped designed it showed him around the car.

I think I love her.

G Rom

It was in MSR where the real time clock was used.

Shaneus, I may have been sounded radical but PGR4 had some weird car reactions sometimes because of low weight cars.

cjelly said:

Only in PS3 ver of GRID.

Pretty weird exclusivity, unless it means another publisher picked up the exclusive for 360... :D

Really? I did not know this!

xMk2x

Banned
I was playing the reverse version of the demo track the other day and noticed a weird graphical effect/glitch/wat in the distant mountains when turning left or right. It was actually Bullet82SWE's avatar which reminded me of it because it looks exactly like that.

eTMNaOMFn.gif

Sorry for not contributing any more to this thread but when I saw that it prompted the memory.

saladine1

cjelly said:

Only in PS3 ver of GRID.

WTF!
Are you serious?
When,what,how,who??

xMk2x

Banned
I was surprised when I saw it on the PSN store as well. I think it's about $15 and under some car name so it's easily missed.

Brakara

I've been getting into this game again, and plan to finish season 6, but I have a question about track DLC. Do the tracks get integrated into the season events?

h3ro

Brakara said:
I've been getting into this game again, and plan to finish season 6, but I have a question about track DLC. Do the tracks get integrated into the season events?

There's only been one track released so far (Nurburgring GP layout) and no, unfortunately, it doesn't integrate into the season events.

cjelly said:

Only in PS3 ver of GRID.

I never knew this, I was playing the gimped version all this time!!!

BADNED

Cpt N Algren said:
That looks awesome, i had GRID but don't remember playing that track, was it not on the 360 version?

GRID was great, not sure why i sold it to be honest...
It was released last month together with some new cars as DLC but only for the PS3.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Overall, I think this DLC pack is pretty disappointing:

2010 SEAT Leon Cupra R - Already 2 Leon's in the game, did anyone really want a third?
2010 Mazda MX-5 Superlight - Another MX-5...
2010 Bentley Continental Supersports
2010 Mini Coupé Concept - A Mini... but not the one everyone wanted.
2010 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG
2009 Holden HSV w427 - Anyone really want more Australian cars?
2010 Volkswagen Golf R - Yay! Another Golf..!
2010 Ford Taurus SHO - See below:
2010 Vauxhall Insignia VXR- Take these 2 out, and give me a Mondeo. Yeah, there's not hot version, but it'd still be nice to have. :D
2010 Renault Megane RS 250 - Actually wanted this car in the game.

So, yeah, I don't wanna come over too negative, but it just seems a bit too 'more of the same' for me. I'll still buy it, of course, would just like to see Turn10 mix it up a bit.

There are plenty of other racers that include 10,000 variants of the same car, and I just don't want to see Turn10 go down the same road.

thundr51

yeah, I'll probably skip this one. Nothing interesting there for me at all. Maybe we'll hear something about USB support on the next pitpass.

Brakara

h3ro said:
There's only been one track released so far (Nurburgring GP layout) and no, unfortunately, it doesn't integrate into the season events.

Thanks, I guess that saves me a few bucks. But a strange decision by Turn 10 nonetheless.

Shaneus

cjelly said:
2009 Holden HSV w427 - Anyone really want more Australian cars?
How many Australian cars are in there already? Yes, I am kinda taking this personally because IMO there aren't ENOUGH Australian cars in there. All we have are the V8 Supercars (which I'm not a fan of being able to drive... just seems like tokenism).

As was mentioned before by Vormund, a handful of Fords would be nice... even some of the older Ford and Holden "muscle" cars. Shit, I'd even be happy to see Eric Bana's '74 XB Falcon if it would help sell DLC. Nothing against Holden, but they're fairly well represented so far (if you count the Pontiac GTO in that list).

G Rom

cjelly said:
There are plenty of other racers that include 10,000 variants of the same car, and I just don't want to see Turn10 go down the same road.

Yeah, I'm on this boat too. One thing that I actually loved in Forza was the fact that there was very few redundancy in the car selection. Any redundancy typically goes into the upgrades (ex : Alfa MiTo GTA possible by swapping the bumpers, skirts and hood of the vanilla MiTo).

Actually, the other day, I was thinking that it would be cool if Turn 10 allowed to change cars' name. A filter would be need of course to prevent seeing "mobilus dickus" all over the online and you wouldn't be able to change car's manufacturer too.

Cpt N Algren said:
That looks awesome, i had GRID but don't remember playing that track, was it not on the 360 version?

GRID was great, not sure why i sold it to be honest...

Obviously that track's been missing on 360. I bought the 360 version because it had less tearing.

I didn't know the PS3 version has that track.

lord pie

xMk2x said:
If by "OMG....." you mean "oh my god, that looks fucking horrendous" then I agree.

What on earth are you talking about? He's only 28 seconds faster than the all time lap record. It's not that unrealistic.

:lol

In the meantime, my 360 wheel is still busted :-( I'm seriously tempted to just go mad and drop a huge wad of money on the Fanatec ultimate...

GRiD is a fun game, you are looking at it the wrong way if you enter it thinking it's a simulation.

I noticed there is a GRiD Reloaded release in the shops, it's in the classics box but features the car packs the game had at some point, a shame the new track never made it to the 360 version.

Mohonky

xMk2x said:
If by "OMG....." you mean "oh my god, that looks fucking horrendous" then I agree.

At least the game has Bathurst. I'm tired of going round the same few tracks over and over in Forza 3 now. I want something new to come out, not a rehash and not another dull boring track in a cow paddock.

saladine1

Seanspeed said:
I guess its just me, but I dont see how somebody could get so excited to drive a great real-world track with terribly unrealistic driving physics. It kind of ruins what makes the track so great when you can just flail your car around any corner with nary a worry in the world.
I agree!
How the fcuk did Turn 10 not pick this track up?
To be honest, I would rather experience this Gen's version of Bathurst through Forza or GT rather than an a full fledged arcade racer.
What a waste!!

skyfinch

Looks like the second car pack in a row that I'll pass up on. We're still missing a lot of iconic cars like the Maclaren F1.

Anyways, maybe this has been asked before, but is there a way to select the amount of laps you can race in quick race? I would like to race a track like Nurburgring for more than one lap, but don't want to do the career mode's endurance (10 laps). 2-3 laps would be nice.

Since I don't play online, and since I've gotten as far as I can in career mode, it would be nice to jump into quick race and have at least a few more options. This mode is even less than bare bones.

Seanspeed

Banned
Mohonky said:
I'm tired of going round the same few tracks over and over in Forza 3 now.
I think Forza's probably got the largest selection of tracks you're gonna find on a console 'sim-type' racer.

If you desire more, you're probably gonna have to go to the PC-route.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Is there any chance Turn10 gets the new Ferrari 599 GTO in some future DLC?
Jube/Che?
Just want to know if it's at least possible...

2je2yo8.jpg

sn1bo6.jpg

2eckgg8.jpg

29m1xdj.jpg

29co00y.jpg

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
While on the subjext for DLC, these are my two most wanted oldies but goldies which are missing:

McLaren F1.

foqj6b.jpg

vryqfm.jpg

And at least one freakin' Testarossa model, THE Ferrari sportscar and Pininfarina's masterpiece and without a doubt the most iconic car of the '80s. (the Testa Rossa is another model altogether, don't confuse the two names).
Personally I'm dieing to see Outrun's 1985 Testarossa Cabriolet Pininfarina "Straman", more than Outrun 2's Testarossa Koeniegg. But any model would do really, just give me a spider/cabrio model, tho... Outrun ftw :D

F512M.JPG

2d6emw.jpg

13zaa82.jpg

mslog9.jpg

14lireg.jpg

66m2c7.jpg

..please? ;-)

eek5

rise888 said:
Had some friends over to play on my ultimate ghetto multi-screen rig: 3 32" TVs, 3 xbox, 3 copies of Forza, Fanatec wheel, CSP and wheel stand. Also featuring classical Chinese furniture

4510461870_1ec5a813b2.jpg

Video(s) of poor driving:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UeI6CMZ0TE

then we broke down the set up to play some Midnight club system link.
Despite some mismatching equipment, I don't think you can classify any setup that has 3 32" tvs, 3 360s, and a fanatec wheel as "ghetto" :lol

xMk2x

Banned
Jube3: I have a question re: car packs. Would it not be possible to release car packs the same way LittleBigPlanet handles its costume packs by offering individual cars at, say, 50 points each along with the entire pack at 400 points?

I skipped out on a couple of the packs because I only wanted one or two of the cars (Mazda Furai in its pack and the Aston Martin One-77 (I also wanted the Lotus but I got it for free)), and this pack is very similar in that I only really care about the HSV. I'll be buying this one regardless but instead of getting a few hundred points out of me for those other packs you guys got nothing because I didn't want all of the cars. This would also be good for us as the consumers because it would force your hand to make sure there is no filler in any of the packs.

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible when other companies can do it (on XBLM Guitar Hero and Rock Band do it, and Ubisoft have done something similar with Assassin's Creed 2's CE content).

edit: I re-read my post and I actually saw why Turn 10 probably doesn't do it; they're basically getting the couple hundred points out of me anyways because I'm pretty much paying 400 points for a single car this time around. :/

Top Bottom