• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

G Rom

This Subaru does look great !:D

That's one thing I'd love to see in Forza, the ability to paint lights. I wonder if it's a matter of license or just lack of time.

Jube3

That Subaru starts racing tomorrow, if anyone wants to see some races and is in the LA/Socal area I believe it's where it is. I can get directions if anyone is interested. Redline Time Attack.

I just noticed a huge stupid thing about this game. It supports 8 consoles linked for 360º view but it won't support System Link for multiplayer?? I mean... WTH?? o_O;

DarkJC

sechsterangriff said:
I just noticed a huge stupid thing about this game. It supports 8 consoles linked for 360º view but it won't support System Link for multiplayer?? I mean... WTH?? o_O;

Yeah, kinda lame. No reason everyone should need a gold subscription to play together on the same network. (Well, no reason from the consumers point of view anyway...)

DarkJC said:
Yeah, kinda lame. No reason everyone should need a gold subscription to play together on the same network. (Well, no reason from the consumers point of view anyway...)

I'm planning a LAN party with some friends and this was supposed to be one of the main games. We all just noticed it now...
Not everyone of us has a gold account, and to make matters worse we're not sure If we can get an internet connection at the place. This just sucks ass...

Iknos

sechsterangriff said:
I'm planning a LAN party with some friends and this was supposed to be one of the main games. We all just noticed it now...
Not everyone of us has a gold account, and to make matters worse we're not sure If we can get an internet connection at the place. This just sucks ass...

Create Silver accounts and get a free month of Gold to do it but like you I can't get good internet at the places we go to when we do these LAN parties.

Made some noise about it earlier when the game came out but us LAN gamers are the minority here.

LAN gaming represents lag free gaming with perfect collision detection and non of that sporadic jumping around BS you see with poor online connections. It's the way to play.

Chrange

Banned
In a related note I finally broke down and went AWD :lol

1ij4lh.jpg

is it possible to upload the whole race, not just clips? i wanna upload this one race that i just had... very close race too... f430 vs 360 CS hehe

Jumped back in to this the other day to keep working on the single player stuff, I forgot how boring some of the racing is offline, only a slight improvement to the snooze fest of forza 2, really.

If I had to say what I think would improve the single player it would have to be some sort of team management back-end with sponsors who help with cash flow, benefits and earning your way into the big races like a real team. It would be quite sweet too if your team was represented online too and you could earn some sort of team honour/skill points as you enter online leagues and shit, I miss the forza 2 leagues where you set a time every other day then raced the top tiers.

DarkJC

soujiro_seta said:
is it possible to upload the whole race, not just clips? i wanna upload this one race that i just had... very close race too... f430 vs 360 CS hehe

No, I think it's just clips. The only way to do it would be to put the replay on your storefront. Come to think of it...can you put replays on your storefront?

enewtabie

Jube3 said:
That Subaru starts racing tomorrow, if anyone wants to see some races and is in the LA/Socal area I believe it's where it is. I can get directions if anyone is interested. Redline Time Attack.

Just popped in here and I see a suby. I know a lot of folks from NASIOC(North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club) play this game to death. I'm one of them. Still wish Turn 10 had my Subaru in it. No love for the bugeyes.:(

skyfinch

Diablohead said:
Jumped back in to this the other day to keep working on the single player stuff, I forgot how boring some of the racing is offline, only a slight improvement to the snooze fest of forza 2, really.

If I had to say what I think would improve the single player it would have to be some sort of team management back-end with sponsors who help with cash flow, benefits and earning your way into the big races like a real team. It would be quite sweet too if your team was represented online too and you could earn some sort of team honour/skill points as you enter online leagues and shit, I miss the forza 2 leagues where you set a time every other day then raced the top tiers.

I'm stuck on 93% complete and most likely won't get to 100. All the races I have left are manufacturer races class F, E and D. 8 laps around any track in these slow ass cars is boring as hell, plus, since it's manufacturer races, you can't upgrade you car in any way.
Tried to do the Road Atlanta endurance race, which is a class F....bored out of my mind after the second lap.

Jube3

enewtabie said:
Just popped in here and I see a suby. I know a lot of folks from NASIOC(North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club) play this game to death. I'm one of them. Still wish Turn 10 had my Subaru in it. No love for the bugeyes.:(

I like scuby's as well. Im gonna see if I can find video of James run after the weekend. I'm dying to see the car in action.

original.aspx

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Iknos said:
Create Silver accounts and get a free month of Gold to do it but like you I can't get good internet at the places we go to when we do these LAN parties.

Made some noise about it earlier when the game came out but us LAN gamers are the minority here.

LAN gaming represents lag free gaming with perfect collision detection and non of that sporadic jumping around BS you see with poor online connections. It's the way to play.

Yeah, I wish. I loved my PS2 (fat)/Xbox Lan parties back then.
About the "sporadic jumping cars" shit going on, when I see that happening to someone, is it my fault (my connection's) or his? Is there any way to know if I'm "jumping" too for other guys? I wonder if that's why a couple of times I've been voted off after the first race without any reason whatsoever (or so I tought).

DarkJC

Dash Kappei said:
Yeah, I wish. I loved my PS2 (fat)/Xbox Lan parties back then.
About the "sporadic jumping cars" shit going on, when I see that happening to someone, is it my fault (my connection's) or his? Is there any way to know if I'm "jumping" too for other guys? I wonder if that's why a couple of times I've been voted off after the first race without any reason whatsoever (or so I tought).

I think if everyone is jumping around then it's probably you. If it's just one guy...it's probably him? Just a guess.

Just thinking, if this game loads a few seconds faster when installed to the HDD and the upcoming 360 usb save options we will get on sunday, it's suppose to be faster then the HDD for loading data, so... I wonder how much it will benefit forza 3 loading screens?

Someone with an 8gig stick will have to test it out, the install is 4.7gig right?

Chrange

Banned
Diablohead said:
Just thinking, if this game loads a few seconds faster when installed to the HDD and the upcoming 360 usb save options we will get on sunday, it's suppose to be faster then the HDD for loading data, so... I wonder how much it will benefit forza 3 loading screens?

Someone with an 8gig stick will have to test it out, the install is 4.7gig right?

I have a handful of 16 GB sticks thanks to work. I'll give it a shot.

Iknos

Diablohead said:
If it's faster then HDD loading I will be like

30ieykh.jpg

If I can view my pics with no compression and then able to upload them to PC I will be like

30ieykh.jpg

If we can put our exported movies on them so I can quickly transfer to PC so I can edit movies I will be like

30ieykh.jpg

DarkJC

Iknos said:
If I can view my pics with no compression and then able to upload them to PC I will be like

If we can put our exported movies on them so I can quickly transfer to PC so I can edit movies I will be like

I have a feeling this won't be the case :(

One achievement left to get and it's the biggie, all gold.

I have to say season 5 and 6 were so damn boring, I had to race repeated events because the generator was very limited especially in season 6, and how long it went on for felt like a huge drag. I suggest not making it that long next time.

I also deleted some xbla games so I could reinstall the game to my hdd to help with loading each race, I forgot how much faster the game loads! just wish I had an 8GB usb stick for next week to make it even faster.

Seanspeed

Banned
Single player is *only* fun for winning money and having that feeling of 'progression' as you get better and better cars. But that joy lasts briefly, and you soon have access to great cars very early on.

To get anymore enjoyment out of it, I've had to resort to not caring about how much money I get and just race the AI as a challenge. I just pick a fairly non-competitive car, and see what I can do with it. It feels more like real racing. For many people who play racing games, they just pick a car they *know* will win, and just mow through the races, never really experiencing much action. Its a shame, cuz I think they're missing out. And its why online is so fun. Having *good* competition is where its at.

DarkJC

Seanspeed said:
Single player is *only* fun for winning money and having that feeling of 'progression' as you get better and better cars. But that joy lasts briefly, and you soon have access to great cars very early on.

To get anymore enjoyment out of it, I've had to resort to not caring about how much money I get and just race the AI as a challenge. I just pick a fairly non-competitive car, and see what I can do with it. It feels more like real racing. For many people who play racing games, they just pick a car they *know* will win, and just mow through the races, never really experiencing much action. Its a shame, cuz I think they're missing out. And its why online is so fun. Having *good* competition is where its at.

Something that actually ruins the fun for me is the "get gold in every event" achievement. If I want to eventually get it every race I don't come in first in feels like a waste, especially the long championship races. It feels like an achievement that doesn't belong in a game where you have so much control over difficulty.

The ideal end game achievement would be to attend or finish in the top 3 for all events, not going for gold, then I would play on hard full sim and earn my way to e-penis at the same time :lol

Been thinking about some improvements or adjustments forza 4 could benefit from:

Bring back the forza 1 drivatar! awesome concept thrown away, have the drivatar become your team mate in leagues so you both drive in similar styles.

Fix the cpu braking and accel zones, they do not ride the tyre grip fresh-hold and brake way too early, take corners too slow, messy in other words.

Give brakes, suspension and other internal components light damage from heavy use, braking late on every corner should start fucking up my discs at least after 4 or so laps, suspension should show signs of problems after driving over curbs, gravel traps and other misc bumpy off-road areas, a real car would be fucked hitting a curb at high speeds.

Allow bald spots to appear on tyres from locked brakes, doesn't have to be visual but it would be nice to have the car vibrate at high speeds because you were shitty with the brakes or abuse ABS :p

Some sort of global team career, as you level your team gets better and you unlock more races (like right now) but this time throw in some team races, yourself and an AI / drivatar racing in a series, both cars of course have the same paint job, etc.

More control over pit stops, if I remember right in forza 1 you can end a pit stop early by pressing A or B, so you could choose to exit the pits after a tyre change but only take a little fuel on, or less repair fixes.

Bring back online leagues! was great fun in forza 2 to get into the top 128 racers by setting a hot lap, then racing in your tier to earn bonus credits. It is greatly missed.

If possible, more then 8 cars please! raise it to 12 or so, the field right now is way too bare for the larger circuits and it doesn't help any offline when a race has a cap of A class, but features C to B class cpu...

rvy

Banned
Iknos said:

We'll all be like that, I hope.

Jube3

Anyone here hit up multi-class lobbies yet? I'm having a blast in A/E, I tuned up this E class Ferrari Dino and its been a trip racing that against a Saleen truck and then getting passed by an R8 and a Porsche 911 SC :lol My favorite hopper set so far, gonna hit up B/F this weekend with some new cars and see how I do. I have a neon green Del Sol ready to race :lol

Jube3

double post but cross posting the new Time trial:D

There's a new time trial that just went up which will run until noon PST tomorrow. Benchmark DLC is required.

Time Trial – "Gone in ...seconds?"

What: Official Turn 10 Featured Time Trial Challenge

When: Now until Friday April 2nd at 12:00PM PST

Where: Time Trials in Forza Motorsport 3.

Track and Car: *crickets*

How:
Navigate to the “Leaderboards” menu and scroll down to “Time Trial”. Scroll down to "Gone in Seconds TT" and “Press A to Start Race” at the top of the leaderboard. Set your best possible lap time!

Prizes are currently a mystery....bwuahahaha..*cough* ha

Dash Kappei

I have to make a super newb question even tho I've had this game since launch I have only gone through the storefront a few times:
Why is it that when I download custom tunes these don't actually show up when I go to load tunes for said car? Do I need to buy the racing gearbox for each car I want the downloaded tune to show up? I feel kinda ashamed asking it :p

Jube3

Dash Kappei said:
I have to make a super newb question even tho I've had this game since launch I have only gone through the storefront a few times:
Why is it that when I download custom tunes these don't actually show up when I go to load tunes for said car? Do I need to buy the racing gearbox for each car I want the downloaded tune to show up? I feel kinda ashamed asking it :p

No, when you go to load the tune it installs everything for you. Hop in the car you want to tune, load the tune under upgrades and it should ask you if you want to buy the parts. Hit A and it buys/installs and tunes the car for you. It could be that the car you tried it on is a slightly different model, you can check the model name where you go to load the tunes.

alba

Little is the new Big
So when is Turn10 going to patch the game to allow export to the usb sticks? I really hope they do T__T

DarkJC

Jube3 said:
Anyone here hit up multi-class lobbies yet? I'm having a blast in A/E, I tuned up this E class Ferrari Dino and its been a trip racing that against a Saleen truck and then getting passed by an R8 and a Porsche 911 SC :lol My favorite hopper set so far, gonna hit up B/F this weekend with some new cars and see how I do. I have a neon green Del Sol ready to race :lol

Just read this and it gave me some incentive to try it out. You're right, it's great fun. Even with only 17 people in it at 4:30 am :D

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
So, I'm a little bit in the dark about DLC for this game. Any word on the 2010 or the 2011 Mustang coming to this game?

Jube3

Almost time for a new Car Pack (Road and track pack) :D April 13th is the release date:

forza-motorsports-3-lead2.jpg

*the car above is not related to the car pack.

Calling all Xbox gamers: On Monday morning, April 5, at 8 a.m. (PST), Forza and Road & Track are launching an exciting contest that wil1 feature 10 lucky winners of the exciting new Forza Motorsport 3 game! Not only that, but 20 others will win the download code to R&T’s exclusive pack of 10 hot cars.

Here’s how it works: At 8 a.m. and noon (PST) on each day between April 5 and April 9, we will post a partially obscured spy photo of the cars in our secret download pack. On this page (RoadandTrack.com/Forza), be the first to properly identify the make and model of the car in our spy photo, and you’ll win the ultra realistic Forza Motorsport 3 video game! The second and third entries to correctly identify the make and model will get the free download code for the Road & Track car pack. Since we’ll have new spy shots appearing daily (again, at 8am and noon), post early and post often to improve your chances! Winners will be announced Friday, April 9, at 5 p.m. (PST).

Here is the road & track site which is where the shots will be posted:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/forza

Whats the new track?

Yas Marina?
Bahrain?
Singapore?
Hungaroring?

obviously I'm kidding those are the most boring race tracks in the F1 calendar

Jube3

ExtraKr1spy said:
Whats the new track?

Yas Marina?
Bahrain?
Singapore?
Hungaroring?

obviously I'm kidding those are the most boring race tracks in the F1 calendar

Sorry I wrote way too fast, I meant Road & track pack :\ Didn't mean to confuse ya.

lord pie

Does anyone else this problem with their xbox wheel; occasionally (perhaps once every 15 races) it will go mad for a split second, and it sends a totally random button input to the game?

A number of times I've had it pulse the hand brake (if I'm unlucky I spin out). However once it dropped down a gear in A-class expert, ruining my engine. And yesterday, it pressed the start button - bringing up the in game menu.. On the corkscrew..

?

- unrelated rant - I *really* wish X/B could be bound to look left / look right.

I'm finally getting to the stage where I'm faster with the wheel than the gamepad. :lol The game helps you so much with the pad. Keeping you just slightly over the grip threshold when turning, it lets you be a lot more aggressive with the car. The Lotus 2-Eleven is a totally different car with the wheel because of how the front wheels grip.

ACE 1991

Hey guys, how approachable and enjoyable is this game for someone who has no experience with racing games/sims? I'm currently buying ODST on ebay, and I've noticed that they have a combo pack of ODST with Forza 3 for $40.

ACE 1991 said:
Hey guys, how approachable and enjoyable is this game for someone who has no experience with racing games/sims? I'm currently buying ODST on ebay, and I've noticed that they have a combo pack of ODST with Forza 3 for $40.
If you keep the aid's on you should have no problem, in fact with aid's off it's still not too hard once you learn the limits of the car you are driving. Just be prepared for another slow and boring career mode.

Dash Kappei

ACE 1991 said:

With aids on you will have no problem, and you can change pretty much every setting in the game from aid to AI to manual/automatic gears and so on.
As far as enjoying it, as long as you don't expect an over the top arcade game I think you will enjoy it: there are no patent tests like in GT games (which are a drab for newcomers) and career mode is really fun since you can play and be competitive with stock/garage cars. I play this game 95% offline and 5% online, don't expect to enjoy the online mode tho unless you really get into it and start using custom tunes for the cars, you can't be competitive without that. But there's more a lot more to online in Forza 3 than just the competitive play.
Nontheless, my opinion is that these sim-racing games really shine in offline play and I love that, 90% of the races are a mess anyway, you'd need a circle of friends to get the most out of it.

ACE 1991

Dash Kappei said:
With aids on you will have no problem, and you can change pretty much every setting in the game from aid to AI to manual/automatic gears and so on.
As far as enjoying it, as long as you don't expect an over the top arcade game I think you will enjoy it: there are no patent tests like in GT games (which are a drab for newcomers) and career mode is really fun since you can play and be competitive with stock/garage cars. I play this game 95% offline and 5% online, don't expect to enjoy the online mode tho unless you really get into it and start using custom tunes for the cars, you can't be competetive without that. But there's more to online than just the competitive play.
Nontheless, my opinion is that these games really shines in offline play and I love that, 90% of the races are a mess anyway, you'd need a circle of friens to get the most out of it.

all right, cool. It's been a while since I've played a good race, and at $40 along with ODST this seems like a steal. Thanks again! I'll give the demo a spin too.

Top Bottom