• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

nib95

Banned
chespace said:
Yes, but for now, it's best to get used to it.

Is this not something you guys can improve via a patch? I mean, why go to the lengths to have photomode, WITH all it's additional aesthetically improving elements if you're going to make them redundant with poor compression? Defeats the whole purpose imo. Though I'm assuming T10 have their reasons, likely bandwidth saving one's.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Keikoku said:
Is the video replay compression any better ?

Much better at 720p. I should post a video somewhere tonight.

nib95: I guess you missed the discussion previously where I said this is something we could potentially fix via a title update.

nib95

Banned
chespace said:
nib95: I guess you missed the discussion previously where I said this is something we could potentially fix via a title update.

Awesome! I think once it's fixed I'll be much more inclined to use the mode. Because with some of the cars in the folio, it's be a travesty of justice not to!

nib95 said:
Awesome! I think once it's fixed I'll be much more inclined to use the mode. Because with some of the cars in the folio, it's be a travesty of justice not to!
I really hope its improved as well, but my gut says nothing will change. Forza 2 had horrible compression as well and nothing was ever fixed or improved and that was just photos. Now FM3 deals with photos and videos which equals way more strain on bandwidth. Doubtful anything will happen but i'll stay hopeful.

chespace

I'm rendering and uploading a replay movie now on my 360. A test race with m0dus' Crackdown 2 Camaro SS.

Jube3

chespace said:
I'm rendering and uploading a replay movie now on my 360. A test race with m0dus' Crackdown 2 Camaro SS.

Hey che, i played your miata drifting replay last night on the stream and the channel went nuts when I told you were driving lol. Awesome replay btw. Did you see BLJK Evolution and Swirlys replay (its on taks storefront). That could be a commercial right there :O

Iknos

nib95 said:
I do still feel that most cars are too easy to drive with ABS/TCS off. You almost have to fight to try and get your vehicles (everything but the Race cars) to lose traction instead of maintain it. That's my only real gripe with the driving mechanics thus far, that is in comparison to the predecessor as well.

After watching some other vids where you had wreckless drivers driving haphazardly but not wiping out as much as I thought they would have I thought the same as well. I'm at the point where when I get the game the first thing I want to do is to play the same cars found in the demo on Camino Viejo to see if the cars were tuned or had better tires in the demo.

It could very well be that we are too used to other games that in comparison have a tad simpler tire model. T10 got real world tire data from tire manufacturers for this game and that could also be the difference.

I mean you can still wipe out. You can still overpower your tires and lose grip. You can still hit that slip angle that will cause you to lose traction. You can still do all these things but in the end it's not as easy to do these as it was in FM2....which was in some ways the opposite end of the scale. It's not as easy to lose traction as in other console and PC sims as well.

All this combined with how we are only playing with controllers and MS Wheels at this point and the feel of the game could very well be "just right" with a 900 degree wheel. In FM2 you could prevent the car from fishtailing rather easily with the controller...it could be the same sort of controller advantage here.

Haven't got much sleep this last weekend excuse my rambling. :) Thanks for the impressions.

nib95

Banned
Iknos said:
After watching some other vids where you had wreckless drivers driving haphazardly but not wiping out as much as I thought they would have I thought the same as well. I'm at the point where when I get the game the first thing I want to do is to play the same cars found in the demo on Camino Viejo to see if the cars were tuned or had better tires in the demo.

It could very well be that we are too used to other games that in comparison have a tad simpler tire model. T10 got real world tire data from tire manufacturers for this game and that could also be the difference.

I mean you can still wipe out. You can still overpower your tires and lose grip. You can still hit that slip angle that will cause you to lose traction. You can still do all these things but in the end it's not as easy to do these as it was in FM2....which was in some ways the opposite end of the scale. It's not as easy to lose traction as in other console and PC sims as well.

All this combined with how we are only playing with controllers and MS Wheels at this point and the feel of the game could very well be "just right" with a 900 degree wheel. In FM2 you could prevent the car from fishtailing rather easily with the controller...it could be the same sort of controller advantage here.

Haven't got much sleep this last weekend excuse my rambling. :) Thanks for the impressions.

Whilst I appreciate the lengths Team 10 have gone to simulating tire pressure and physics calculations, perhaps in doing so things have become a little more forgiving? In order to balance things out. All I know is, there are a handful of high performance vehicles I have driven, and with TCS off, you simply cannot feel completely comfortable in them (like you do in F3). In-fact, it is the main reason my brother in law pinned his M3 in to a fence, and his partner his Porsche 911 Turbo in to the barrier of a turning. Getting too brave and turning TCS off. Just isn't a recommended, nor completely safe thing to do in reality. Turning TCS off in Forza 2 had far more hazardous results. I'm still in the frame of mind that TCS control wise, F2 got it right, and F3 still needs some tweaking. Though saying that, with the race cars, turning TCS off in F3 does seem more appropriately difficult to manage.

It would be interesting to get Che's take on the topic, as in every other regard, F3's driving and physics mechanics seem a step up from it's predecessors.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Iknos said:

Bibendum himself might have appeared before the T10 team and handled them the sacred book of tire data, but what matters is what they do with such information.

Fuzyfrog

Got the LE on pre order here in New Zealand.

Seems we get the 2010 Audi R8 5.2 FSI as a bonus for preordering.

Do you require a Gold live account to download the additional cars and for VIP membership?

Fuzyfrog

Thats what it says on the site i pre ordered my copy from.

Just really dont want to have to shell out $80 for a year of live right now.
Had to put of purchasing uncharted 2 so i can get Forza 3 this week :(

PIMPBYBLUD said:
So I'm a little confused about VIP access. Are you guaranteed VIP access if you are picking up the LE version?
Think of them as being synonymous. Purchasing the LE is purchasing VIP status. Or stated another way, the only way as of now to gain VIP status is to purchase the LE. It's not that you are guaranteed VIP access, it's that having the LE is VIP access.

wonderkins said:
Think of them as being synonymous. Purchasing the LE is purchasing VIP status. Or stated another way, the only way as of now to gain VIP status is to purchase the LE. It's not that you are guaranteed VIP access, it's that having the LE is VIP access.

Ahh thanks for clearing that up, makes me feel all the more better for getting the LE.

chespace

m0dus' latest creation shooting it out amongst peers:

286wjv7.jpg

That pic above was taken by me.

This one below is taken by m0dus and was on his Storefront:

142543k.jpg

bran

chespace said:
m0dus' latest creation shooting it out amongst peers:

http://i35.tinypic.com/286wjv7.jpg

That pic above was taken by me.

This one below is taken by m0dus and was on his Storefront:

http://i38.tinypic.com/142543k.jpg

Camaro with decals really looks badly out of place amongst proper sports cars. I always hated that aspect of racing games where you would have:

Ferrari, Ferrari, Lambo, Aston, Ferrari, Supra 900 horsepower with full aftermarket kits.

Why can't the game detect that the user is entering the race with a souped up class B and generate some CPU souped up class Bs to race against?

Brashnir

bran said:
Camaro with decals really looks badly out of place amongst proper sports cars. I always hated that aspect of racing games where you would have:

Ferrari, Ferrari, Lambo, Aston, Ferrari, Supra 900 horsepower with full aftermarket kits.

Why can't the game detect that the user is entering the race with a souped up class B and generate some CPU souped up class Bs to race against?

That would be nice, or have it differ by event. Have some events where you have to race a souped-up D class against supercars, and vice versa, along with races where you have to race like-against-like.

amar212

Diablohead said:
A shame you can access it so easily but cool, I think there has only been one game I have ever tried it in and that is NFS shift :lol

Easily is such a wrong word.

I've been playing FM3 for days now and I've just come near LV18. At this point, LV30 seems like a far away dream. I will not even think about LV50.

Also notice every new LV gives you a new car, so having a knowledge about what are the prize cars would be more than welcomed in perspective of your budget.

p3tran

Banned
goodmorning!

so, Che is he web interface for our pics up yet on fm.net?

I've been playing FM3 for days now and I've just come near LV18. At this point, LV30 seems like a far away dream. I will not even think about LV50.
lol I'm level 37 and I stopped leveling up since two days ago because I wanna test&hotlap some cars I'm making :D
It's not THAT hard amar :)

Iknos the physics and the traction physics are a whole LEAGUE above F2's.
this becomes evident as you play. try to make a drift car, you will realize how much progress there is there in the physics and the ability to loose traction and obtain it again.
try to push a car to do a competitive time, and you know the physics are great and working.
try to take a mini for a sunday drive, and probably you wont spin out at all. try to geta top10 time and there you will be struggling with that mini and its happy tail etc.
that sounds good in my book. and plays even better 8)

Jube3

p3tran said:
is he web interface for our pics up yet on fm.net?

I think its up and in place but only for admins, its not live yet I dont think.I think it goes live the 22nd which is the JPN release date.

p3tran

Banned
Jube3 said:
I think its up and in place but only for admins, its not live yet I dont think.I think it goes live the 22nd which is the JPN release date.
oh, in that case, maybe today is the first day I return to my business. :lol

jube I made a scirocco which is a crazy drift machine. I have a small replay up on the storefront.
I'll send the car to ya later on. cheers!!!

Jube3

p3tran said:
oh, in that case, maybe today is the first day I return to my business. :lol

jube I made a scirocco which is a crazy drift machine. I have a small replay up on the storefront.
I'll send the car to ya later on. cheers!!!

hah no I love that you tuned it but I never want to see that car again. Something about that car angers me :lol I will download that replay though!

I currently have 2 drift cars im using, a metallic green Hulk Silvia and a simple black red Iron man Subaru that BLKJ Evo sent me.

Im enjoying the hell out of attempting to drift. I need a ton more practice but its really fun.

I forgot to post this but SOME chrome rims can be painted to have some color.
To do this buy a wheel that can be colored and then paint it. Go back into the rim show and scroll through to see which wheels were affected.

This wont turn chrome wheels neon green, but on some chrome rims like the rotas 1 set the inner part will color giving you a chrome lip. Those rotas WILL give you an error if you try to paint them directly.

A cool little tip to get more out of your designs :D

Jube3

Some pics I captured from my crappy card.

The G. de Ferran Final Race White Livery I made. All logos on the car were remade (michellin, XM, 66, ESL surround, panasonic, and acura) I also painted on a faux 3d gas cap because the model was missing it.
Pictures taken by BLKJ Evolution
fm3_capture4.jpg

fm3_capture5.jpg

My drift cars, before slamming into a wall :lol
fm3_capture1.jpg

fm3_capture2.jpg

My 800hp baby.
fm3_capture3.jpg

rjcc said:
I'd assume they have a list, che asked everyone who received a disc for their gamertag a couple days before the bans kicked in.

Microsoft UK PR has collected no Gamertags for this or any Review code in the past, for the record. Unless they're basing their bans off those gamertags/console IDs who didn't sign up for the Facebook beta through PR.

Lucius86

Banned
Righty, phoned up Blockbuster again this morning - the very nice lady on the other end (Kim) told me they are shipping the game EARLY to beat the postal strike, but they are not getting a different courier in.

I have a busy weekend ahead now, so if its not here by Friday, then so be it and I can make do without Forza til next week. But I could have the LE Wednesday, so will just have to wait and see. Risky, but now with my social situation changing this week I'm not as massively concerned as I was to get it release day.

Gowans

Lucius86 said:
Righty, phoned up Blockbuster again this morning - the very nice lady on the other end (Kim) told me they are shipping the game EARLY to beat the postal strike, but they are not getting a different courier in.

I have a busy weekend ahead now, so if its not here by Friday, then so be it and I can make do without Forza til next week. But I could have the LE Wednesday, so will just have to wait and see. Risky, but now with my social situation changing this week I'm not as massively concerned as I was to get it release day.

I'm crossing my fingers that they are shipping it now then, did the posties not realise they chose the forza 3 release date (or maybe thats exactly what they were thinking ;) )

Those photo mode pictures Che showed above, it may still be 80kb but it looks improved somewhat, less artefacts around the edges. I approve for now!

Jube3

You know you've been in the Livery too long when you delete a message on live with X and immediately try to paste it back in with Y /sigh :lol

Dina

Pizza Luigi said:
You already got it? At which one?

Nono, I'm quoting a few guys at the Forza Motorsport forums.

edit: oh wait. No I meant I ordered mine at a dutch shop (mediadis.nl). Haven't got it yet, release date on the website is still the 23th.

I would love to see an email from blockbuster saying that my LE is posted and ready for delivery, but I doubt they are going to post it early, looks like I will be playing more Aion before forza 3 hits my mailbox.

Lucius86

Banned
Diablohead said:
I would love to see an email from blockbuster saying that my LE is posted and ready for delivery, but I doubt they are going to post it early, looks like I will be playing more Aion before forza 3 hits my mailbox.

Although I liked her optimism, I honestly cannot see my copy getting delivered to me Wednesday. No email for me anyway.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Diablohead said:
Same, I am on the verge of cancelling and just paying the £5 extra to make sure I get the game on midnight of the 22nd.

I will be phoning Blockbuster this afternoon in any case.

Lucius86

Banned
Stop It said:
Same, I am on the verge of cancelling and just paying the £5 extra to make sure I get the game on midnight of the 22nd.

I will be phoning Blockbuster this afternoon in any case.

Let us know what they say, in case they mention something different to you.

Top Bottom