• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

Pug

I got my copy from Tesco online on Friday, I also got Halo ODST a week early. Funny thing is I got Unchartered 2 a day late. I know they are sending out copies early becasue of the threat of a postal strike.

eso76

did i mention i wasn't able to bribe the blockbuster guy yet ? oh well, he said i might want to try on wednsday :D

But i did a couple more laps today and tried the fov trick, which however doesn't work if your console doesn't have an ethernet cable plugged in.
Actually, not only it doesn't work, it will make the game crash during loading.

skyfinch

eso76 said:
did i mention i wasn't able to bribe the blockbuster guy yet ? oh well, he said i might want to try on wednsday :D

But i did a couple more laps today and tried the fov trick, which however doesn't work if your console doesn't have an ethernet cable plugged in.

Cable hooked up to a modem?

eso76 said:

Sort of makes sense as it's trying to sync with anything on the other end, not finding anything will cause problems.

I would think just having your 360 into a router like most homes would bypass the crashing problem like a lot of people who have tried it so far on youtube and such.

dejay

Banned
MikeDub said:
I was but finally decided to just go with the regular, only thing making me contemplate the LCE was the hype I was getting from this very thread :lol

Hype in official thread? Never!

Actually I want the key ring more than anything. Sad, but I got the GTA IV CE mainly for the Rockstar keyring and lockbox. I use them both every day :) The VIP access is also very nice, and I always use USB sticks.

MikeDub said:
I was but finally decided to just go with the regular, only thing making me contemplate the LCE was the hype I was getting from this very thread :lol
I would have passed on the LE if not for the uk blockbuster deal of them pricing it the same as the regular edition lol. Kind of glad to be getting VIP now though but it sucks that in america only one store is carrying the LE, and at full price too...

Diablohead said:
I would have passed on the LE if not for the uk blockbuster deal of them pricing it the same as the regular edition lol. Kind of glad to be getting VIP now though but it sucks that in america only one store is carrying the LE, and at full price too...

I was trying to order from blockbuster about an hour ago and there site is so bad, I just couldn't get it to confirm my order so I just went with the regular from GAME for £32.99

Doodis

dejay said:

Actually I want the key ring more than anything. Sad, but I got the GTA IV CE mainly for the Rockstar keyring and lockbox. I use them both every day :) The VIP access is also very nice, and I always use USB sticks.
I'm kind of embarrassed to admit it, but this is also my main reason for going LE. $20 for a dumb keychain? I know, it's sad. But my Bungie key ring is nearly tattered to shreds and needs to be replaced. I also traded in a bunch of old games so it's only costing me $17.

And every time I buy an LE version of a game, I tell myself "never again!" But VIP status looks like it will be the gift that keeps on giving.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
dejay said:

Yeah, I also want the keyring.

Don't really give a shit about the USB drive, but definitely want all the cars. :D

Key chain I will use also, it will go along well with my mini car (actual small car but it lost it's tyres and roof, looks like it was set on fire by chavs from all the years in my pocket) and my lego darth vader.

RSTEIN said:
dude... we're soul mates. I picked mine up at the Chicago Lego Store.
legoland windsor :D

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Latest Fanatec update:

The shipment did not leave the factory today but the products are ready to go and we will ship them tomorrow. We have enough production capacity to produce all open orders in October.

dejay

Banned
Doodis said:
Noooo! E74! This is repair number 4 for me. And a week before Forza 3 releases. What a pisser.

If you're still repairing your first unit I'd suggest just chucking the towel in and buying an arcade and swap the HDD over. It hurt me but the pain was worth it.

Jonsoncao

Banned
:lol :lol :lol @the poem I loled hard

also for che: is there enough commercial airing for the release? seeing PSP GT and NFS shift doing aweful in Sept NPD makes me worried about Forza 3 is sent to death if there is no commercial...

Doodis

dejay said:
If you're still repairing your first unit I'd suggest just chucking the towel in and buying an arcade and swap the HDD over. It hurt me but the pain was worth it.
Nope, this is my third unit, a year-old elite that's now going in for the second time. Fine quality products!

skyfinch

Jonsoncao said:
:lol :lol :lol @the poem I loled hard

also for che: is there enough commercial airing for the release? seeing PSP GT and NFS shift doing aweful in Sept NPD makes me worried about Forza 3 is sent to death if there is no commercial...

I have yet to see a Forza 3 commercial. Seeing Shift and GTPSP ones all the time.

dejay

Banned
I've seen an FM3 ad three times here in OZ - twice during the Australian Moto GP and once during a NASCAR race late at night. It was localised showing one of the inlcuded Australian V8 Supercars. Since PAL land is getting it a few days before the US, I presume the US marketing could be a few days behind.

The ad was the one with the cars with their doors open, with a tiny bit of actual gameplay at the end. I wish they'd use the game's intro video as an ad - I believe that would help a lot.

Nilla

Banned
Holy shit! It's here! Haven't been this hyped for a game in ages. At last I can finally stop playing the demo...

ehn2oy.jpg

Iknos

nib95 said:
All I know is, there are a handful of high performance vehicles I have driven, and with TCS off, you simply cannot feel completely comfortable in them (like you do in F3). In-fact, it is the main reason my brother in law pinned his M3 in to a fence, and his partner his Porsche 911 Turbo in to the barrier of a turning. Getting too brave and turning TCS off. Just isn't a recommended, nor completely safe thing to do in reality. Turning TCS off in Forza 2 had far more hazardous results. I'm still in the frame of mind that TCS control wise, F2 got it right, and F3 still needs some tweaking. Though saying that, with the race cars, turning TCS off in F3 does seem more appropriately difficult to manage.

I thought about it more last night...and when you do take tire deformation into account it does become a bit more forgiving because there is give between the direction of your wheel and the direction of your movement because of the flex of your tire and tire treads. Tires with higher sidewalls will sacrifice responsiveness for grip.

That makes sense to me. But as you say it seems hard to overpower your wheels to spin out which is another matter.

I suppose that you wouldn't be able to spin out a stock Mini Cooper because even at the proper RPMs you simply can't deliver the amount of power needed to burn out. But I figured it would have been possible with the Ferrari Sunshine.

p3tran said:
Iknos the physics and the traction physics are a whole LEAGUE above F2's.
this becomes evident as you play. try to make a drift car, you will realize how much progress there is there in the physics and the ability to loose traction and obtain it again.
try to push a car to do a competitive time, and you know the physics are great and working.

I agree because I can tell from the demo. A lot of nuances and enhancements over FM2 can be felt. ie. how the game takes into account your chassis momentum when going down a hill or over a small hill.

What I'm talking about is that I had to push my car and drive wrecklessly to spin out on a corner. Whereas in a game like SuperCar Challenge or FM2 you focus on throttling very gently out of a turn. In the FM3 demo if I waited for the car to balance out after a turn I could just step on it and take off.

I have a feeling that if in the final game I put in a harder compound for the tires I will definitely have to watch my acceleration out of turns and stuff. I didn't want to speculate last night and even now because I'm not playing the full game...but I feel it's the tires that can explain this difference.

Bitmap Frogs said:
Bibendum himself might have appeared before the T10 team and handled them the sacred book of tire data, but what matters is what they do with such information.

I think all they did was plug these values into their sim. Not only the friction coeffecients but also the expected size of the contact patches and the amount of flex in the sidewall and flex of the treads etc.

try to take a mini for a sunday drive, and probably you wont spin out at all. try to geta top10 time and there you will be struggling with that mini and its happy tail etc.
that sounds good in my book. and plays even better 8)

You can certainly feel that the cars are represented well in FM3. More accurately than in FM2. But I feel from the demo that it's too easy to floor it and not feel any repercussions for doing so and nib is confirming that it's there in the full game.

burgerdog

Nilla said:
Holy shit! It's here! Haven't been this hyped for a game in ages. At last I can finally stop playing the demo...

ehn2oy.jpg

Lucky sob. Next Tuesday for me, until then I have more than enough to keep me busy.

alba

Little is the new Big
Damn, can't wait for friday, just hope my package will get here in time and that I won't have to wait monday to play it :O

dejay

Banned
Nilla said:
I ordered it from DVD Crave - they sent me the "we shipped it" email this morning, and it was on my desk this afternoon!

When I've used them in the past I usually don't get it until the day before release at the earliest. Unfortunately for me I think it will take more than that for MS to allow the retail stores to release early.

Yoritomo

Iknos said:
But I figured it would have been possible with the Ferrari Sunshine.

Here's a little fun project. Start racing and bring up the telemetry. When you're fully committed into the first right hander you'll notice that when the front two tires are at 100% + the rear outside tire is at about %60 and the rear inside tire is at around 90%

The car understeers heavily at the limit as evidenced by the telemetry. Given the fact that the engine isn't very torquey and it uses gearing to make up the difference (You're in 4th before you hit 100) you'd have to use up the remaining 40% and 10% to get the rear end to kick out at that speed. With that criteria you also have to realize that accelerating more will just push the front wheels further out of traction and reduce the sideways load on the rear tires.....

The problem is the car, not the game.

Yoritomo

I also have to bring up the lack of difficulty with traction control is the fact that there is a computer assist for steering with the controller. The game only steers to the maximum steering point with regards to the traction threshold on the tires. It does not do a full lock turn when you push the control stick all the way in a given direction. They confirmed in a recent podcast.

It also does this intervention when you're countersteering into a slide. Making it much easier to correct when you goose the throttle too much.

That's the primary reason it seems so much easier to drive these cars. In the real world if you steer too much you'll generally start plowing straight forward, and if you're trying to correct a slide with countersteer you're much more likely to use too much and overcorrect thereby flipping your car into a barrier.

p3tran

Banned
goodmorning!

since I see that people start to get their copies, here's my suggestion for the very first race,
for all you people that have a big hard-on for this game:

-install second disk, boot game.
-go to Free Run mode, time trial.
-pick your favorite car, whatever that may be.
-pick RALLY DI POSITANO FULL.

Enjoy! 8)

abrasion

Banned
Nilla said:
I ordered it from DVD Crave - they sent me the "we shipped it" email this morning, and it was on my desk this afternoon!

Yep, we've got some people on Whirlpool hassling the shit out of <removed> trying to get this game out early tomorrow, now that it's being sold early - I want to be able to pick it up tomorrow night.
Fuck this bullshit 5 week wait while pirates are living it up - I pre-ordered like a good citizen and I'm having to sit around? Lame, very lame - hoping to have a copy by tomorrow night if some people manage to convince a few <removed> managers.

p3tran said:
goodmorning!
for all you people that have a big hard-on for this game:

-install second disk, boot game.
I heard you should install the first disk, then boot the game and it will ask if you want to install the second disk.

eso76

Iknos said:
You can certainly feel that the cars are represented well in FM3. More accurately than in FM2. But I feel from the demo that it's too easy to floor it and not feel any repercussions for doing so and nib is confirming that it's there in the full game.

You should really hold judgement until you try the full game yourself.

Ferraris, the Ford GT40 and most high end race cars won't spin as much as they did in Fm2, but i would imagine that's quite accurate considering their nature.
Powerful rwd non-race cars will still be as spin happy as they were in fm2, i remember spinning a BMW M3 E90 countless times when i first tried the game last week and a Shelby cobra will still make you want to pull your hair out.
I was also kind of puzzled when the demo let me push the accelerator to the floor out of a turn on a California, but from my short experience with the game, only a few cars allow you to, while others are still every bit as hard to control as they were in fm2, which leads me to believe there's more data being taken into consideration here, which makes cars feel very different.
I wish i tried R1 cars, but i forgot to : \

p3tran

Banned
ResidentDante said:
I heard you should install the first disk, then boot the game and it will ask if you want to install the second disk.
yeah, what I did was first install Disk1, then upon booting, the game asks if you want to install Disk2.
I guess even without installing Disk1 you should get the same message.

eso76 said:
the physics are only IMPROVED. nobody has to be worried about this. trust me!
driving dynamics are way better, leading to a more pleasurable game experience.
of course you can drift your ass off, or you can grip it! its always up to you, your modifications and your mood.

shit! I hate being at my office again! need to bring one 360 over here asap!! I got the forza munchies and the game web interface is not up yet! damn! :lol

In U.K and got my limited edition from Game just this minute. Uncharted 2 is going on the back burner now while I get stuck into this game :) Cannot wait to start playing tonight - I trust it is ok to do so, and it really was just pirates who were hit?

Top Bottom