• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

Gowans007 said:
Just about to chime in about matchmaking but can see it's the sane for you guys.

It's broken, lots & lots of 1v1.

Checked my router n nat million times defo the game.

There goes my sat night session till my friends get on after xfactor.

Same with me. I was looking forward greatly to Forza 3's online play, as they promised much with their new matchmaking system, but besides the baffling absence of playlists for B/C/D/E/F classes, the matchmaking itself seems to be completely broken at the moment.

AMUSIX

KaYotiX said:
if your decent at tuning ill buy from you :D i tried in F2 and i just dont like doing it
Tell me what car, what class you want it to be, and how you want it to handle, and I'll set one up for you, free of charge.

However, you can also have the game auto-upgrade things for you, it's simple, not always totally optimal, but it does work.

Is everybody using the standard Xbox 360 controller, or most of you using wheels?

I ask because I have the "official" wireless racing wheel, and am eager to break it out for whenever I can pick up FM3.

AMUSIX

I've been going back and forth between both. The MS wheel really does come into its own in Forza3, but since I'm constantly jumping into tuning (and recently into painting) it's a hell of a lot easier to use the controller.

It's too bad that they didn't allow player 2 to navigate the menus.

blanky

Somehow my storefront is borked =/ It says I sold four copies of a vinyl group, I only received a message for one of them and I was never able to receive any money for any of them it just doesn't work, not even an error. and no achievement :( hopefully it'll clear up tomorrow.

Gowans

My friendlist is full but is there a easy way to favourite all you guys?

Maybe a group gamertag and then after it's logged into forza finding the friends and then favouriting?

Any easier way?

luffeN

BlueScrote said:
Is everybody using the standard Xbox 360 controller, or most of you using wheels?

I ask because I have the "official" wireless racing wheel, and am eager to break it out for whenever I can pick up FM3.

I played the demo with the official wheel and it was fantastic. go into cockpit view and you feel like driving a real car xD

h3ro

Gowans007 said:

Maybe a group gamertag and then after it's logged into forza finding the friends and then favouriting?

Any easier way?

Yeah, we need a Forza 3/360 Racing Game GAF gamertag.

blanky

Gowans007 said:

Any easier way?

Well you can view the storefronts of the friends of your friends, so you dont necessarily need another gamertag, you can just go through them your own friends and make your favourite list.

eso76

AMUSIX said:

Che was probably afraid i would have asked for royalties if they did use this fine idea of mine which i have been suggesting for at least 3 years, that is since before forza 2 came out.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Bitmap Frogs said:
I just realized the game isn't supposed to be out until next tuesday.
In the US. the game was released to the EU and Aus yesterday. (I've had the game for 3 days now)

Anyway, yes, we need a GAF gamertag for finding fellow Forza 3 players. I have a few already, but it would be easier to have a central list.

sinnergy

Is there only 1 Citroen in it?

Wtf and it's the butt ugly C4 (yeah okay VTS) Why isn't my Saxo VTS (better yet put in the the 210 Hp, race version)? Or the new DS3..

CHE: DLC please.

Anyone noticed in the 300bhp FWD drag races that the AI car sometimes drives straight into the centre wall and just keeps reversing than driving into it, then reversing etc. Strange AI behaviour.

Currently at Driver level 17 and haven't bought a car yet. Might need to put the AI up to Hard as it's a bit too easy at the moment. I'm sure the races get harder as you progress though.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
sinnergy said:
Is there only 1 Citroen in it?

Wtf and it's the butt ugly C4 (yeah okay VTS) Why isn't my Saxo VTS (better yet put in the the 210 Hp, race version)? Or the new DS3..

CHE: DLC please.
Saxo was a pre-order bonus at Argos.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Slackbladder said:
Anyone noticed in the 300bhp FWD drag races that the AI car sometimes drives straight into the centre wall and just keeps reversing than driving into it, then reversing etc. Strange AI behaviour.

Currently at Driver level 17 and haven't bought a car yet. Might need to put the AI up to Hard as it's a bit too easy at the moment. I'm sure the races get harder as you progress though.

This I like, allows more freedom for car purchases related to interest in a specific car later on when you've built up enough credits I assume. TUESDAY CANNOT COME SOON ENOUGH.

Iknos

RSTEIN said:
By the way, I'm stuck playing Death Rally (now free on Remedy's site) until this comes out. FML.

"FML"? Well my 360 refuses to stay on for more than 2 minutes. No error code. No flashing lights. Just freezes during games and the odd checkerboard boot up screen.

So I'll probably have the LE version of the game on release day but no way to play it. This could have happened during the 6 months between E3 and the release of my most anticipated title this year...but I suppose the 360 likes to rub it in when it dies on us.

DoctorWho said:
I doubt it. The website says that the LE is going to be sold at FS tomorrow but the rest say the 27th leading me to believe it is a typo.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10132508&catid=23356

French version of the LE even says the 27th.

I thought the LE was an EB Games exclusive in Canada. So much misinformation from those guys.

eso76 said:
Che was probably afraid i would have asked for royalties if they did use this fine idea of mine which i have been suggesting for at least 3 years, that is since before forza 2 came out.

It probably has to do with how each controller has to be signed in to a 360 user account. Maybe if they made it so controller 2 was signed in a "Guest" it wouldn't be an issue...I don't know.

Quite annoying nonetheless.

See

You guys have no idea how lucky you are! My Forza is just sititng there all lonely :( I am dying to play but I am in the final month of the universaty year and super busy. My computer dying does not help, I am typing this in uni... On a Sunday! Gah... And I cant use my tablet too! it acts as a freggin' mouse!

Worst. Luck. Ever.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
AMUSIX said:
I've been going back and forth between both. The MS wheel really does come into its own in Forza3, but since I'm constantly jumping into tuning (and recently into painting) it's a hell of a lot easier to use the controller.

This is something that bothered me in Forza 2. You really needed a controller to do most stuff outside of pure racing. Really wish they were able to figure out a way to let you have one useable while the wheel is plugged in this time around.

Regardless, once you try the wheel with a game like this, I don't see how anyone would want to use the controller for racing again. So awesome...

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
AMUSIX said:

Would it let you use the media remote? Doubtful but this sounds like a crappy situation if you bought the wheel.

Recoil

Hit up the track with Ziploc today at the Toronto event, had a damn good time.

Wish I could have gotten a ride in the Quattro:

Sprongl%20%20Cragway%20film%20cropped.jpg

Unfortunately, they only seemed to be pulling it out onto the track for a few select spectators -- I assume people with connections. Made one hell of a goddamn noise, though.

Zip, if you're out there, I later got a ride with that S2000... we pulled a 18.9 :D

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
tissot said:
If you ever find the answer to this, make sure you post it here or PM me. I'm dying to play this.

Yup. Anyone that finds it in Toronto before Tuesday needs to spread the word.

eso76

damn, sidewinder proving grounds which is, in fact, the snakes test tracks from fm2, received a HUGE lighting makeover, which makes replays on that track look pretty damn photorealistic.
Very good camera angles too, for most part.
The game keeps impressing me.

Also, my simple vinyl groups are doing good, if not flying off the shelves :) can't wait to have some time to put into my new strider hiryu car.

blanky

boy oh boy, nothing changed with the multiplayer. Maybe I shouldn't have picked R1, but there were no more than 1000 people online I think.

Does anyone have any tips how to launch a car with as minimal wheelspin as possible with no assists? I feather as much as i can but i dont want to get hit in the behind either.

Rizob

How can i get the game to always start the race in bumper cam view? It seems that the game just randomly picks a view at the beginning of each race.

Also, is there a way to search by peoples Gamertags on the Storefront? I've seen a few designs in this thread that i want to buy! :D

TTG

I have a question for those of you still stuck playing the demo.... does anyone beat the Panoz consistently with the Porsche?

All the assists are off for me, the only thing turned down from the highest difficulty is that I don't use the clutch when shifting. I finally got into first after a long session of practice and even on that run I had to rewind more than a couple of times. On the other hand, I can win consistently with any other car and without rewinding anything. So am I still not past the learning curve or is it really difficult?

PS: the track they provide in the demo is GARBAGE. The first 2 demos for Forza games had Laguna Seca and the ferrari test track, both excellent tracks. This fictional one may be pretty to look at, but it's no fun as far as gameplay.

Iknos

eso76 said:
damn, sidewinder proving grounds which is, in fact, the snakes test tracks from fm2, received a HUGE lighting makeover, which makes replays on that track look pretty damn photorealistic.
Very good camera angles too, for most part.
The game keeps impressing me.

That's great news because in FM2 that track was very cartoony looking. It was part of the reason why I hated it. That and the sticky sandtraps. And the fatiguing curves...too many of them for my liking.

The circuits may be useful for online non-racing modes like Tag or C&M so I can see why they would include it in FM3. If they look better that's a bonus.

TTG said:
So am I still not past the learning curve or is it really difficult?

Yeah I'd have to agree that it was a bit more difficult with the Porche and I never got 1st with it but I didn't stress out on it because with that class of vehicle doing a 2 lap race is something I figured to be a tall order in the first place.

I hate modes that make you start out in last place and then having to get to first in the span of one lap. It's very unrealistic and during those modes the AI is set to "stupid". They pose challenges and I think that's the point...but it's really not very realistic. Thankfully FM doesn't have those sort of modes but the 2 lap race of the demo did remind me of that.

PS: the track they provide in the demo is GARBAGE. The first 2 demos for Forza games had Laguna Seca and the ferrari test track, both excellent tracks. This fictional one may be pretty to look at, but it's no fun as far as gameplay.

Thought the demo track was incredible myself. I can see your perspective as it's not a traditional racing circuit. It's a very rough road rally course with a lot of nuances not typically seen in most circuits.

Unlike most circuits there exists straights that aren't conducive to flooring the gas pedal because there are a couple of places where if you are going too fast you can bottom out and risk losing control of your car. The road is also narrow and not conducive to passing.

So I can see why you wouldn't like it. But I loved it. The Iberion Raceway which is located at the same location is more of the pristine clinical circuit you may be looking for. It has wider portions more suitable for actual racing between a pack of cars.

Not to beat a dead horse but I just want one more whack...

The promo shots we got from T10 were weighing it at half a meg...really high quality when it came to jpeg compression. After seeing the PGR4 thread and checking out those shots it looks like a very realistic and ideal compromise would be to have FM3 export shots at that quality.

Check out these two posts and the file sizes for the pics:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17907471&postcount=1

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18188332&postcount=196

They range from 150-275kb...pretty much double of what we see now. But 10 times impressive.

I suppose my motives are a bit greedy as I want to show off my cars to my gearhead friends and have my cars look as sexy as possible. But I have a feeling that there are many that are loving this photomode but are feeling disappointed with how they turn out when they view them online. Kinda sad to see that genuine excitement being squashed by the end result.

I realize that because of the storefront the bandwidth requirements are totally different between these 2 games. I'm just saying that this could be the ideal goal and standard for photomode pics uploaded online.

So i've put about 10 hours into this game, this is also my first Racing sim ever as I've always been terrible at driving games.

Right off the bat I set all the assists off with the exception of the braking line and the clutch is too difficult and tedious for me with a controller, i'd need proper foot-pedals to get into it. It was pretty easy going from the offset, most of the cars you start with are too slow to really feel the assists making a difference. As I move up the tiers though the cars become more and more challenging to drive.

I really do think this is the only way to play it. I tried my Ford GT with and without the assists and the difference is night and day. You don't get a feel for the cars limits with the assists on, it really emphasizes how different each car really is when you aren't using any helpers. So I'm getting within the top 15% consistently on the leader boards, and I feel like I'm actually pretty good at handling the cars. With no assists I can handle anything below Class S, which gets a little intense for me ATM.

It breaks bad habits as well. Flooring your car at the start of a race without assists will send you into a spin if you aren't careful, ditto for slamming the brakes.

I think the reason I like the game so much is because it rewards you for pushing yourself whilst giving you the proper means to learn. The rewind feature was absolutely critical for me, as I tend to take turns too narrow and wind up losing more speed than I need to. Using rewind allowed me to do the same turn 3 or 4 times and see the results, which got me up to speed really quickly. I thought I was forever doomed to suck at these types of games but it turns out i'm actually kinda awesome. Very weird.

There's a lot to say about the game, most of it positive. My only real complaint is the jump from normal to hard difficulty is too large. Apart from that the car descriptors ala GT would be nice. I bought "Tom's MR2", which was great fun to drive, but who the hell is Tom and why does he have an MR2? I'd also like weather and night driving but those are just wishes, not glaring omissions from the game itself.

Shaneus

Wondering if anyone has noticed this before... when I was looking for a great photo op in a replay, if you use the LT/RT triggers to navigate, the tyre marks will remain if you rewind, which makes for some interesting photos (yes, they stay there for photo mode!) when you can see where the car will be heading :lol

Ziploc

Neo Member
It was great to see some GAFfers at the event! It was a great success.

I had so much fun showing new people to the sport. I got a passenger to scream too. :D

I'll see if my camera caught anything good.

Recoil: Yea, Taylor is redonkulously fast in that S2000. He is almost routinely fastest of the day at the club events that I go to. I probably should have worked on my line more and stopped hooning around to get a more respectable time, but all (but one :lol ) passenger wanted to go sideways on their lap. And I couldn't say no.

Check out Marsh going into the stop box... Backwards!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3J6d24tXMs

One thing I have noticed that seems to be really improved is the driver AI, I found that in Forza 2 there were a lot of easy overtaking opportunities due to the AI braking when it didn't need to. This appears to be rectified at least on the new tracks, still notice it on the old ones, most noticeably Maple Valley. On hard they really pull no punches when it comes to contact situations, definitely give as good as they get. This is one of the few games for me where the AI is more fun to play against then jumping into a random multiplayer game.

sinnergy

nofi said:
:lol

I think the car selection is fine, why the hell would anyone want to drive a Saxo in the game?

Why? Ever driven one?

The Saxo VTS 16V is fun as hell and very steady and fast. But my guess is that the Saxo in the game is a 210 Bhp Rally/Race VTS so it's fast and fun ;)

I also drive one in RL.

eso76

nofi said:
:lol

I think the car selection is fine, why the hell would anyone want to drive a Saxo in the game?

i personally think small cars are the most fun to drive in the game,

My gf has an old Saxo btw: no abs, no servo-steering (ehm, pretty sure that's not how it's called in english) no nothing. You really feel like you're sitting 10 cm from the tarmac, and that thing is a tiny monster, quick, responsive, rough, like a slightly heavier go kart.
I just LOVE it.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Well, I have finally succumbed to buying a proper 360 racing wheel, as the MadCatz MC2 wheel is dire in Forza 3. I was thinking of getting a fanatec, but their cost (and the fact that they appear not to exist in the UK yet) made me go for the Official Wireless Wheel.
Well, I say Wireless, but the thing will be on AC power indefinitely due to the enhanced force feedback you get with it in, heh.

So, TCO of Forza 3 (LCE + Wheel), £100, oops.

Edit: It's a powered steering wheel? Oh, didn't know that, nice.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
The only disappointment in this game for me is that there is no:

7122_mid.jpg

Game would be absolute perfection, if they add this car. :D

Still don't have my game :( suppose to be more mail strikes this thursday so it best come before then otherwise i'm asking for my money back.

nofi

eso76 said:
i personally think small cars are the most fun to drive in the game,

My gf has an old Saxo btw: no abs, no servo-steering (ehm, pretty sure that's not how it's called in english) no nothing. You really feel like you're sitting 10 cm from the tarmac, and that thing is a tiny monster, quick, responsive, rough, like a slightly heavier go kart.
I just LOVE it.

Oh, I like the smaller cars the best, had some fun races with F and E classes, but there's more fun cars than the Saxo, IMO.

Top Bottom